[Support] Linuxserver.io - TVHeadend

On 03/03/2017 at 7:17 PM, saarg said:

This is most likely something to do with the dvb drivers and not tvheadend I think. 

You updated unraid and it have a new kernel. Did the driver version also change?

4 minutes ago, meep said:

So it turns out it may be TVHeadEnd after all.

Let this be a lesson to us all....

Never work with Swedes..... :P

2 minutes ago, meep said:

So it turns out it may be TVHeadEnd after all.

I reverted to the 4.09 Stable Docker (I had initially installed Default/Latest in which I had the described problem). Immediately, the tuners all showed up as I would expect:

58bf2f9519fa7_ScreenShot2017-03-07at22_01_03.png.12634b10a48d8ce9be2ae3a7b9ae7cae.png

I ran the Docker update and now I'm on tvheadend 4.1.x. Don't quite understand how that happened but the tuners are still correctly displayed. This is on the latest unRAID DVB 6.3.2 (stock DD drivers);

58bf2fb43273b_ScreenShot2017-03-07at22_04_36.png.aa61a5c98aad424de70b587b6701ea1e.png

So I guess the question is, why would the Default/Latest TVH Docker have the problem and the older version dos not?

I guess @CHBMB is excused then 9_9

The latest is a development branch si expect stuff to break now and then. I would post it as a bug on the Tvheadend page so it gets fixed. The tuner is recognized correctly in the stable version and then when you use the same config in the unstable version it doesn't need to scan the adapters, but reads from the config and it works as it should. 

may s small question about the digital devices octopus drivers ... from meep.

i also switched to an DD Octopus Network Tuner and didnt install any dvb edition or any drivers, its now recognized as network tuner and all is working so far here.

Just wondering if it makes sense to use drivers in unraid for external tuners ? faster ? more possibilities ? couldnt imagine this makes sense at all ;)

ot did i missunderstand his topic ?

this is how my adapters are shown from DD Octopus ..

TVAdapters.PNG.d0b3c0ed83791099f651e0691b58a4d3.PNG

14 hours ago, saarg said:

I guess @CHBMB is excused then 9_9

The latest is a development branch si expect stuff to break now and then. I would post it as a bug on the Tvheadend page so it gets fixed. The tuner is recognized correctly in the stable version and then when you use the same config in the unstable version it doesn't need to scan the adapters, but reads from the config and it works as it should. 

Do we know the version of the development build in the docker currently? I don't want to go through the uninstall/reinstall tango but do want to report it correctly to the nice TvHeadEnd people.

Thanks

56 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Tha@meep 4.1-2449~gda583493d (2017-03-03T23:57:08+00:00) 

That doesn't make sense?

I had originally installed 'Latest' docker version which didn't work and for which I didn't take a version number.

I then deleted the docker and support folder and installed 4.0.9/Stable which worked. Afterwards, there was an update which I applied and I confirmed all tuners were still working. I checked the TVH version at that point and it's as screengrabbed in my post above (same as the version you noted just now).

I would have expected the 'latest' nonworking version to be newer?

11 minutes ago, meep said:

That doesn't make sense?

I had originally installed 'Latest' docker version which didn't work and for which I didn't take a version number.

I then deleted the docker and support folder and installed 4.0.9/Stable which worked. Afterwards, there was an update which I applied and I confirmed all tuners were still working. I checked the TVH version at that point and it's as screengrabbed in my post above (same as the version you noted just now).

I would have expected the 'latest' nonworking version to be newer?

I guess because of this:

The tuner is recognized correctly in the stable version and then when you use the same config in the unstable version it doesn't need to scan the adapters, but reads from the config and it works as it should. 

1 hour ago, meep said:

Do we know the version of the development build in the docker currently? I don't want to go through the uninstall/reinstall tango but do want to report it correctly to the nice TvHeadEnd people.

Thanks

You always find the version in the about tab of tvheadend.

The latest version just grabs the code on github every Friday when the container is refreshed.

9 hours ago, alturismo said:

may s small question about the digital devices octopus drivers ... from meep.

i also switched to an DD Octopus Network Tuner and didnt install any dvb edition or any drivers, its now recognized as network tuner and all is working so far here.

Just wondering if it makes sense to use drivers in unraid for external tuners ? faster ? more possibilities ? couldnt imagine this makes sense at all ;)

ot did i missunderstand his topic ?

this is how my adapters are shown from DD Octopus ..

TVAdapters.PNG.d0b3c0ed83791099f651e0691b58a4d3.PNG

There is no reason for installing the dvb plugin since your tuner is a network based one.

The dvb plugin is only for tuners installed in the computer or USB based.

Meeps tuners is not sat>IP.

1 minute ago, saarg said:

You always find the version in the about tab of tvheadend.

The latest version just grabs the code on github every Friday when the container is refreshed.

Thanks. That was really my question - I don't want to uninstall my Stable (working) docker, install the 'latest', find the version, uninstall it and reinstall stable. Of course, I'd likely have all that done by now if I'd just started it instead of asking the question  here.

1 minute ago, meep said:

Thanks. That was really my question - I don't want to uninstall my Stable (working) docker, install the 'latest', find the version, uninstall it and reinstall stable. Of course, I'd likely have all that done by now if I'd just started it instead of asking the question  here.

I'm confused. Why would you need to go back and forth?

Just now, meep said:

Sorry I might have misunderstood what you were asking.  I've just checked though and these are definitely the two version numbers.

Stable: 4.0.9-dirty

Latest: 4.1-2449~gda583493d

4 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Thought it was all working?

Mostly jesting there, but...

It is all working now but if future docker or TVH updates are going possibly break break things, of something changes in unRaid etc. or I neede to keep on top of the TVH people to address new issues, it's justall getting a bit unstable.

Of course, I should just pick a working susyem and stick with it but I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to upgraditis!

1 minute ago, meep said:

It is all working now but if future docker or TVH updates are going possibly break break things, of something changes in unRaid etc. or I neede to keep on top of the TVH people to address new issues, it's justall getting a bit unstable.

Of course, I should just pick a working susyem and stick with it but I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to upgraditis!

Well, in theory, you can always revert to 4.0.9 to do an install and then jump back on to latest.  This would only be necessary IF you lost your appdata for tvh.   Of course, the really sensible thing would be to file a bug report with tvh so they fix it. ;-)

1 minute ago, CHBMB said:

Sorry I might have misunderstood what you were asking.  I've just checked though and these are definitely the two version numbers.

Stable: 4.0.9-dirty

Latest: 4.1-2449~gda583493d

And that's key to my question here....

I installed the 4.0.9 Stable version of this Docker. On my Docker page, an available update was show. I upgraded. Now my TVH reports v4.1.2449

Is this expected behaviour?

Furthermore, this 4.0.9->4.1.2449 install it works for me whereas installing what I would understand to be the same version directly does not?

That's the confusing bit.

1 minute ago, meep said:

You found an edge case, so this is not the normal situation. The latest is very stable. I have never used the stable version I think :)

It's a bug to do with how the latest version scans your tuners initially.  

When you install stable, it scans, and that info is saved in your appdata, then when you upgrade to latest, that info is already available so the bug doesn't reveal itself.  However if you first install the latest version it does.

1 minute ago, meep said:

And that's key to my question here....

I installed the 4.0.9 Stable version of this Docker. On my Docker page, an available update was show. I upgraded. Now my TVH reports v4.1.2449

Is this expected behaviour?

Furthermore, this 4.0.9->4.1.2449 install it works for me whereas installing what I would understand to be the same version directly does not?

That's the confusing bit.

That is caused by what is probably a bug in the latest version detecting your tuners. That works in the stable version and the correct config files is written. When you updated to the latest version, tvheadend just read the tuner configuration from settings and it therefore works.

I have no idea why your stable version got updated to latest. The tag should be persistent. What does your repository box say? linuxserver/tvheadend?

4 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

It's a bug to do with how the latest version scans your tuners initially.  

When you install stable, it scans, and that info is saved in your appdata, then when you upgrade to latest, that info is already available so the bug doesn't reveal itself.  However if you first install the latest version it does.

That makes complete sense. Thanks for the clarity and helping me understand!