Can you run an XRDP session to the unRAID root account?

I would like to be able to do configuration to my unRAID machine via a graphical account, such as opening up an XRDP session to my unRAID server.  This would allow me to use graphical text editors like gedit or geany.  Is this possible?   And if so, how would you then be able to use these editors within a docker environment after you do a "docker exec -it DockerName /bin/bash"?

I tried installing the Ubuntu-xrdp docker a few months ago but I haven't been able to get it to work.  I posted questions in the forum but I never got a response so I don't know exactly what that docker does or if it is supported anymore.

You can edit any file from CA Config Editor plugin, see Squid's sig.

Any changes you make inside a container will not survive an update or reinstall of the container.

In general, there probably isn't a good reason to do what you are asking for. If you have some specific case in mind where it would solve some problem, let us know and maybe we can make another suggestion.

From time to time I have had to go into some of my Dockers, like my SageTV docker, and make some changes.  Some times it is just to temporarily do a chmod on a file, sometimes it requires some editing of a text file.  I know that these get wiped when the docker is restarted but it is still nice to use geany rather than vi as a text editor.  Nano seems to be available in root ssh sessions but when you go into one of the dockers it seems like that isn't even available.

53 minutes ago, wayner said:

Nano seems to be available in root ssh sessions but when you go into one of the dockers it seems like that isn't even available.

Consider each container to be a type of lite VM, and when you docker exec to it, you only have available the toolset that has been provided in that specific VM. I don't think what you want is possible.

Alternatively you could fork the dockers and create your own with the addition of whatever tools you want to use, up to and including a full desktop inside the docker.

The better way of accomplishing what you want is to find a way to expose the file you want to edit to the normal config folders that are mapped to the appdata, that way you can edit them with anything you want.

12 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Consider each container to be a type of lite VM, and when you docker exec to it, you only have available the toolset that has been provided in that specific VM. I don't think what you want is possible.

Alternatively you could fork the dockers and create your own with the addition of whatever tools you want to use, up to and including a full desktop inside the docker.

The better way of accomplishing what you want is to find a way to expose the file you want to edit to the normal config folders that are mapped to the appdata, that way you can edit them with anything you want.

Isn't there any way of making some of the core Linux application files, like at least nano, available to all of the dockers?  Couldn't this even be done with some sort of mapping of a folder or symlink?