[Plugin] NUT v2 - Network UPS Tools

dmacias

55 minutes ago, peace-keeping-villa8590 said:

I have a intellipower UPS (IHT1500RM-DI-Isol-FC-399) connected to my network I'm trying to connect to my server. I can't seem to figure out how to point NUT to the UPS's IP 10.10.111.112.

You mean another NUT server or the UPS has a network card that you want NUT to connect to?

2 minutes ago, peace-keeping-villa8590 said:

I assume it has a network card. I connect it to my network with a patch cable. DHCP server and it gets an IP.

Usually you would set up the SNMP network connection like this:

grafik.png.cc4b5453d0ccafe5cc5c191a5ddc9011.png

Note that if that doesn't work, SNMP might need to be enabled on the UPS.

It should say in the manual how to do that via the web interface exposed by the UPS.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, peace-keeping-villa8590 said:

SNMP.png

In the second field under "Access Control" (for *.*.*.*) change the Permission to "Read/Write".

Then click "Apply" and then try again with the settings for NUT that I posted above - let me know.

Note that in NUT you need to set "Start Network UPS Tools Service:" to "Yes" and click "Apply" after.

Edited by Rysz
2 minutes ago, peace-keeping-villa8590 said:

I changed the "Manager IP Address" to the IP of Unraid and it was already set to read/write, clicked apply. In Nut Settings, I just changed "Start Network UPS Tools Service:" to yes and clicked apply. It is showing some details but not much. 

NUT_screen.png

NUT_details.png

That's not enough information for NUT to operate.

1 hour ago, peace-keeping-villa8590 said:

No devices found.net_agent.thumb.png.5153b317591c256f4a51471ddffd77ec.png

Did you change anything for "UPS Communication Type" ?

Seems the UPS network card can't read the values from the UPS.

Just now, peace-keeping-villa8590 said:

I tried changing it to Phoenixtek and restarted NUT since it's listed in the NUT Details but it didn't change anything.

You'll have to try all the "UPS Communication Type" until you find one that provides more details.

The problem is not between NUT and the UPS network card, but the UPS network card and UPS itself.

Please let us know if you found a setting that has worked for you.

11 hours ago, Rysz said:

You'll have to try all the "UPS Communication Type" until you find one that provides more details.

The problem is not between NUT and the UPS network card, but the UPS network card and UPS itself.

Please let us know if you found a setting that has worked for you.

I was able to make more progress. When I first used these setting, it said "calculating" for a while but the this morning, it went away and now says "on-line". SEC 9600 gave me the most information. 

NUT_.thumb.png.1846fe7a35e2d0bcbbadfba97b174d36.png 

NetAgent.png

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, peace-keeping-villa8590 said:

I was able to make more progress. When I first used these setting, it said "calculating" for a while but the this morning, it went away and now says "on-line". SEC 9600 gave me the most information. 

NUT_.thumb.png.1846fe7a35e2d0bcbbadfba97b174d36.png 

NetAgent.png

Great, those values will be enough for shutdown modes "Time on Battery" (recommended) and "Battery Level".

If you set these settings in NUT Settings, you will also see the now missing power consumption in the dashboard:

grafik.png.956a86a90ea268e1755b31ddb8601704.png

One word of caution about network connected UPS though, you need to make sure that any network equipment (switches, routers) between your UNRAID server and the UPS are also protected by the UPS, because NUT needs to stay connected to the UPS when there is a power failure.

16 minutes ago, talonserver said:

How does one determine the health of the battery using NUT? I don't think my UPS displays battery health on the LCD screen and I don't want to do the ol' pull the plug from the wall trick to test.

You can't really, only from the voltage, but a degraded battery can also show full voltage but not be able to hold it.

For a broken or near EOL battery the UPS should emit a replace battery warning, which NUT would also show.

You can only test it for sure by killing the power and see how fast the battery levels decrease under load.

Edited by Rysz
23 hours ago, Rysz said:

You can't really, only from the voltage, but a degraded battery can also show full voltage but not be able to hold it.

For a broken or near EOL battery the UPS should emit a replace battery warning, which NUT would also show.

You can only test it for sure by killing the power and see how fast the battery levels decrease under load.

The CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD I have does have a self test function that can be triggered with the software it looks like, but you're saying there isn't a way to trigger it via NUT or the Unraid terminal?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, talonserver said:

The CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD I have does have a self test function that can be triggered with the software it looks like, but you're saying there isn't a way to trigger it via NUT or the Unraid terminal?

No, I'm saying there's no way to measure the battery health, just if the UPS considers it to be replaced or not.

You can check and trigger commands for your UPS with upscmd (via command line):

https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upscmd.html

But the UPS should always report a to be replaced battery via emitting a respective status and alert, at least as part of their periodic self-tests (and most do), which require no user interaction and need not be triggered manually. A to be replaced battery would hence be permanently visible in the GUI with a "RB" status, e.g. "OL RB", "OB RB":

grafik.thumb.png.906b2ef325a75c10c93d9b10e409a05d.png

If you have battery replacement notifications enabled, you'll also receive this notification:

grafik.png.7de9887a4871fa96bbee7e5cc6f407c2.png

Edited by Rysz
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Rysz said:

No, I'm saying there's no way to measure the battery health, just if the UPS considers it to be replaced or not.

You can check and trigger commands for your UPS with upscmd (via command line):

https://networkupstools.org/docs/man/upscmd.html

But the UPS should always report a to be replaced battery via emitting a respective status and alert, at least as part of their periodic self-tests (and most do), which require no user interaction and need not be triggered manually. A to be replaced battery would hence be permanently visible in the GUI with a "RB" status, e.g. "OL RB", "OB RB":

grafik.thumb.png.906b2ef325a75c10c93d9b10e409a05d.png

If you have battery replacement notifications enabled, you'll also receive this notification:

grafik.png.7de9887a4871fa96bbee7e5cc6f407c2.png

Oh, cool. I misunderstood. Thanks for showing the screenshots. I assume that has hooks to send alerts to email if you've got that set up?

2 minutes ago, talonserver said:

Oh, cool. I misunderstood. Thanks for showing the screenshots. I assume that has hooks to send alerts to email if you've got that set up?

Yes, it uses Unraid's notification system and settings.

• Upvote 1

My syslog is absolutely FULL of nut errors:

Jul 14 20:10:06 PurpleCloud usbhid-ups[30087]: nut_libusb_get_report: Input/Output Error
Jul 14 20:10:08 PurpleCloud usbhid-ups[30087]: nut_libusb_get_string: Input/Output Error

Over and over again, has anyone encountered this/know a fix?  Googling hasn't turned up anything conclusive unfortunately, nut is working perfectly fine otherwise just a ton of these errors continuously

Edited by MTerracciano
4 hours ago, MTerracciano said:

My syslog is absolutely FULL of nut errors:

Jul 14 20:10:06 PurpleCloud usbhid-ups[30087]: nut_libusb_get_report: Input/Output Error
Jul 14 20:10:08 PurpleCloud usbhid-ups[30087]: nut_libusb_get_string: Input/Output Error

Over and over again, has anyone encountered this/know a fix?  Googling hasn't turned up anything conclusive unfortunately, nut is working perfectly fine otherwise just a ton of these errors continuously

Hello!

This is unfortunately the result of minor driver connection instabilities, nothing we can do about it.

It's good that everything else works normally though, so you can just filter out these SYSLOG messages.

1) Put these lines at the end of xnut-nospam.conf using NUT Configuration Editor in GUI:

:msg, regex, "nut_libusb_get.*Input/Output Error" -/var/log/nut-spam
:msg, regex, "nut_libusb_get.*Input/Output Error" stop

2) So it will look like this - click "Save":

grafik.thumb.png.0847c79453e896e7eb188f400255d641.png

3) Set "Enable Rule-Based Syslog Filters:" to "Yes" in NUT Settings:

grafik.png.f9a1b11e3bd5a9e3f51f55bf1ed93471.png

4) Click "Apply" and these messages should now no longer appear in your SYSLOG.

Please note this will only be applied to new messages, the old ones will still be visible in SYSLOG.

Please let me know if that worked for you! 🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I just want to say many thanks for this plugin.  I took the risk of replacing my ten year old APC Back-UPS 1200 with a CyberPower VP1600ELCD (I've only ever used APC UPSs, with apcupsd, in the past but recent APC models seem to be fraught with problems).

apcupsd almost worked with the CyberPower - the main issue was that the UPS wasn't turned off after the server shut down and I couldn't even find a way to turn the UPS off from the front panel.

I installed this NUT plugin and set it up with very little trouble - now the server shuts down and the UPS powers off exactly as expected.

Thanks again!

I'm happy to recommend the CyberPower VP units.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Rysz said:

Hello!

This is unfortunately the result of minor driver connection instabilities, nothing we can do about it.

It's good that everything else works normally though, so you can just filter out these SYSLOG messages.

1) Put these lines at the end of xnut-nospam.conf using NUT Configuration Editor in GUI:

:msg, regex, "nut_libusb_get.*Input/Output Error" -/var/log/nut-spam
:msg, regex, "nut_libusb_get.*Input/Output Error" stop

2) So it will look like this - click "Save":

grafik.thumb.png.0847c79453e896e7eb188f400255d641.png

3) Set "Enable Rule-Based Syslog Filters:" to "Yes" in NUT Settings:

grafik.png.f9a1b11e3bd5a9e3f51f55bf1ed93471.png

4) Click "Apply" and these messages should now no longer appear in your SYSLOG.

Please note this will only be applied to new messages, the old ones will still be visible in SYSLOG.

Please let me know if that worked for you! 🙂 

Can't thank you enough, that fixed it for me!

• Thanks 1

Hello. Please help me out.
I have two Unraid servers: Server Media and Server Mini.
Server Mini is 12V and the UPS is connected via USB to it.
Server Media is connected to the UPS power (but the USB cannot be connected, as it is too far).
How do I set up NUT this scheme:
- The power is down, Server Media understands it is on UPS power.
- Server Media shuts itself down on a one-minute straight timer AND shuts the UPS afterward
- Server Mini does not depend on the UPS, just hosts the NUT server.
Thank you!