YAMJ on unRAID

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question for everyone.

Does YAMJ transcode or simply serve media?

The reason I ask is because I want to use this on a HP Micro Server and they simply to do have the grunt to transcode anything over a DVD. So does the UNRAID server transcode the media and push it like PS3 Media Server/Plex etc. or does YAMJ provide the service so the Popcorn hour can pull the files on its self (streaming) and playing them using it's own codecs.

I hope that questions makes sense.

YAMJ is simply an application to create a Media Jukebox, presenting your movies and tv shows with covers, descriptions, categories, etc.

The Popcorn Hour uses its hardware to decode pretty much anything you throw at it. So, if you're planning on using the HP Micro Server as your unRAID machine, to serve your media files to the Popcorn Hour, then you're on the right track. If you were hoping that YAMJ would transcode your media on your Micro Server, which you say is pretty weak and can only transcode a DVD, then you'll want to look into other options.

But the Popcorn Hour is a pretty inexpensive, and practical investment--since it has a great community for assisting in creating a pretty cool media center, all for under $200.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to report the success of having unRAID/YAMJ/PBO(ACRyan) combo running...

NAS: unRAID

Jukebox: YAMJ (GUI, update tool on separate PC, "/mnt/user/YAMJ" symlink to "/mnt/user/Movies" per Tom's suggestion)

Player: Patriot Box Office http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=6&catid=69&prodgroupid=159&id=895&type=20

running custom firmware of A.C.Ryan Playon!HD http://patriot-box-office.wikidot.com/pbo-alternative-custom-firmwares

featuring A.C.Ryan GUI 2.0 gui_mainpage.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The download link for this application is not working. I notice that it also wasn't working more than a month ago. Could someone please either fix this link or post a new link that works. Failing that could some kind soul who has already downloaded the package send me a copy.

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

New guy here and running into a problem with getting everything working with YAMJ + unRAID + Popbox V8.

I followed all the instructions in the first post, and everything appeared to work correctly...

1. Installed YAMJ on my Popbox V8 (most recent version)

-Piece of cake of course

2. Verified I can browse to unRAID via standard Popbox V8 functionality

-Working like a charm, able to play all the videos I have

-My Shared Network settings

IP: 192.168.0.14 (IP address of unRAID)

Shared Folder:  Movies (I'm using 2 disks + Parity on unRAID, all my movies are in /mnt/disk1/Movies)

3. Ran the all the steps on the "Procedure" process

-/mnt/disk1/Movies/Jukebox exists and is full of the data (didn't see any errors when running yamj-rescan)

-/mnt/disk1/Movies/YAMJ exists and is full of data

-/mnt/disk1/Moves/index.htm exists

-I can open the index.htm file via my main PC and it loads correctly (see all my videos and such)

Issue:

1. Open YAMJ app on Popbox V8

2. Select "Add a Jukebox"

3. Select "Pre-Setup Network Share"

4. Select "Movies"

5. Index.htm doesn't load.  I can see the "Jukebox" and "YAMJ" folders and can navigate into them but can't start YAMJ

Feel free to point out something stupid I've done...I've spent hours troubleshooting this and can't figure it out.  Everything looks like it should be correct but obviously I'm missing something (and have NO problem at this point if it's something idiotic).

Things I've tried:

-Putting index.htm in different places (/mnt/disk1/index.htm, /mnt/disk1/Movies/index.htm, /mnt/disk1/Movies/YAMJ/index.htm)

-Completely uninstalled everything and started all over again (both the app on the V8 as well as on my unRAID box)

-Changing permissions on the different files used

-Re-verifying the connection of the V8 to unRAID

Alas!

• 5 weeks later...

Ah, foolish me!  All resolved now using the instructions here:

http://www.dentedboxes.com/doku.php/yamj:install

Thanks all!

mind if i ask what type of pch you're running?  i have a a-200 (technically an HDX-1000) but i think its the same platform as a-200....i'd love to get yamj running on my unraid.. currently using nmtserver on my main pc, serving media off my unraid onto my pch... works very well but i'd love to cut the pc out of the equation!

i was wondering if popbox and eversion run on the a-200?  any idea?

Ah, foolish me!  All resolved now using the instructions here:

http://www.dentedboxes.com/doku.php/yamj:install

Thanks all!

mind if i ask what type of pch you're running?  i have a a-200 (technically an HDX-1000) but i think its the same platform as a-200....i'd love to get yamj running on my unraid.. currently using nmtserver on my main pc, serving media off my unraid onto my pch... works very well but i'd love to cut the pc out of the equation!

i was wondering if popbox and eversion run on the a-200?  any idea?

Not sure about the popbox but Eversion definitely runs on the a-200.

can anyone give me some advice on how to get started with installing yamj on my unraid?  i do have it installed on my pc currently but want to take the pc out of the equation

there's a package on the first page of the thread, but the download link doesn't work.  plus its almost two years old... can i just get the latest yamj from omertron's yamj page, or is the package on the first page altered to specifically work with unraid and or linux?

i know this thread is pretty old, so i'm no longer sure what's current and what isn't... also i'd like to install the most current yamj so that i won't have to upgrade in the near future....

can someone point me in the right direction?

I have a copy that I can provide but I don't want to sign up to a site like mediafire just to post the file. If you can suggest a way I can get it to you (it's about 40 MB) I'm happy to do so.

I wound up keeping my PC in the loop because I like using NMT Server which requires a PC anyway, so I never tried to install it. Thus I cannot provide any guidance on how to install it.

Let me know how to send or post it to you and I will.

cool thanks... i can't really think of a way to transfer it!

i also use nmtserver and have been for years... overall quite happy with it... i would like to try to setup yamj on the unraid so i can keep my computer off... right now it takes over 5 min to boot up, not the end of the world but with my young kids, when they want a show THEY WANT IT NOW!!!

i was thinking that yamj with the aeon skin might be sorta close to nmtserver...

but i'm still not sure if i should just try to install the latest yamj package from the yamj site (omertron) OR if the package you're referring to has been modified to run on linux/unraid???!?!

EDIT:  fixed my original problem but still having problems...please see end of post

Hello all… tried to install yamj per the instructions in this thread but running into problems… first, I compared the go files and noticed that I did have some entries in my old go file, so I copied them (using windows) into the yamj file.  Here’s a copy of my current go file:  also noticed that the boot unmenu uu line is in there twice, its NOT a typo… not sure it should be?

#!/bin/bash

# Install yamj dependencies.

/boot/extra/yamj-go

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

/boot/unmenu/uu

Does this go file look correct?

Secondly my main share is named Media, not Movies, so I had to change this in the mylibrary file, and twice in the my_yamj.sh file…in the my_yamj.sh file, I changed the two paths from Movies to Media so that my_yamj.sh now looks like:

#/bin/bash

# Include path to Java binary directory

PATH="$PATH:/usr/lib/java/bin"

# Change into YAMJ directory and execute the MovieJukebox script

# The -o option specifies where to put the generated index.htm and Jukebox directory.

cd /mnt/user/Media/YAMJ ; ./MovieJukebox.sh My_Library.xml -o /mnt/user/Media

does my_yamj.sh look correct?

I was able to install the package fine, it said it installed

Next, while I know the instructions don’t say this, I edited the yamj-rescan folder to point to the right location… it previously said Movies… I changed the path to:

#!/bin/bash

/mnt/user/Media/YAMJ/My_YAMJ.sh

Lastly, my most current problem when I try to run yamj-rescan, I get the error message

./yamj-rescan: line 2: /mnt/user/Media/YAMJ/My_YAMJ.sh:  Permission denied

Any thoughts on this?

Sorry for the long message but I suppose a few things I did might be related to the problem so I thought I’d err on the side of too much info!

any help is appreciated!

EDIT:  okay reset permissions on a couple of files, and yamj starting to run!!!!

ok sorry for my rambling posts... i have everything installed and working correctly i believe...

however when i start yamj-rescan, it goes through my whole collection, but then at the end of reviewing each file, i get an error that says:

yamj exception in thread "main" java.lang.outofmemoryerror:  gc overhead limit exceeded

any suggestions on where to go?  it doesn't create a jukebox file so its basically not working at all!

for anyone interested, solved my problem!

installed as per instructions, but then downloaded a much newer version of yamj from omertrons site

then copied newer yamj into folder of installed yamj...

the modified files weren't replaced, and it was a simple drag and drop!  worked good for me

research says that many people with collections of my size (around 2400 movies) have probs with older versions of yamj and that memory mgmt has been improved with newer versions