[Plugin] Mover Tuning

Hello! I am having a problem with Mover Tuning plugin, I'm not sure if anyone can point me in the right direction because of how little information I have to share, but can't hurt right?

Short story, it doesn't seem to work. I enabled logs and set the Test Mode to yes, but Mover seems to have just worked as usual as my cache is empty now, and the /tmp/Mover folder doesn't have anything new in it, just these files, but they all look to be empty, though I'm not very experienced using vi so maybe I'm doing it wrong. Or maybe there is a better way to access the logs in that folder?

Cache_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list         Custom_Mover_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list
Custom_Cache_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list  Mover_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list

Would appreciate any help! As it is now the cache will just fill up completely if I don't manually trigger it.

I'm including this in case it is helpful. Also, I had to add the filename because if I copy/paste from the FAQ post, it doesn't work. Maybe that is a problem also? I wanted to put this in a spoiler thing but could not figure that out.

sh-5.2# cat "/boot/config/plugins/ca.mover.tuning/ca.mover.tuning.cfg"
moverDisabled="no"
moverNice="0"
moverIO="-c 2 -n 0"
threshold="70"
age="no"
sizef="no"
sparsnessf="no"
filelistf="no"
filetypesf="no"
parity="yes"
enableTurbo="yes"
logging="yes"
force="no"
ignoreHidden="no"
beforeScript=""
afterScript=""
omovercfg="no"
movenow="no"
testmode="yes"

Edited by aldumil
added settings
2 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

With those settings mover will check your tuning settings every Sunday at 1:00 I think (very blurry) and move all your files if the cache is more than 70% full. Is that not what is happening?

I suspect that you don’t really want to use a weekly setting for the tuning checks you have set but not sure what your goal is.

Ah, so schedule the Mover is what trigger the Mover Tunning plugin to run? I thought the settings were independent of each other. What I had setup would run the Mover when cache got over 70% and it would run on Sunday at 1:00 regardless of capacity.

So if I want the Mover to run when it hit 70% I should set the Mover schedule to be like...run every few hours?

On 6/26/2024 at 10:39 PM, hugenbdd said:

@Swarles and yourself are welcome to take over this plug-in. 

I have not been able to spend the time it needs on it recently.

OK, thank you @hugenbdd. I'm going to test my version (with autoage) further and prepare a new repo. I have a selfhosted dev server that will allow to easyly pack versions and so on. I need a couple of week to take over (I'm on the move right now from Paris to Lyon, France, plus have a couple of week of holydays in july, so no hurry there.

@Swarles would you like to participate to a new plugin fork?

Edited by Reynald
  • Like 1
On 6/27/2024 at 7:15 PM, aldumil said:

Hello! I am having a problem with Mover Tuning plugin, I'm not sure if anyone can point me in the right direction because of how little information I have to share, but can't hurt right?

Short story, it doesn't seem to work. I enabled logs and set the Test Mode to yes, but Mover seems to have just worked as usual as my cache is empty now, and the /tmp/Mover folder doesn't have anything new in it, just these files, but they all look to be empty, though I'm not very experienced using vi so maybe I'm doing it wrong. Or maybe there is a better way to access the logs in that folder?

Cache_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list         Custom_Mover_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list
Custom_Cache_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list  Mover_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list

Would appreciate any help! As it is now the cache will just fill up completely if I don't manually trigger it.

I'm including this in case it is helpful. Also, I had to add the filename because if I copy/paste from the FAQ post, it doesn't work. Maybe that is a problem also? I wanted to put this in a spoiler thing but could not figure that out.

sh-5.2# cat "/boot/config/plugins/ca.mover.tuning/ca.mover.tuning.cfg"
[...]
testmode="yes"

Mover_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list shall present you a list of file that would have been moved if testmode was set to no. Is this list empty?

Please set TestMode to "No" to effectively move.

18 minutes ago, Reynald said:

OK, thank you @hugenbdd. I'm going to test my version (with autoage) further and prepare a new repo. I have a selfhosted dev server that will allow to easyly pack versions and so one. I need a couple of week to take over (I'm on the move right now from Paris to Lyon, France, plus have a couple of week of holydays in july, so no hurry there.

@Swarles would you like to participate to a new plugin fork?

Feel free to ask me if you have questions re plugins/unraid etc Happy to help and in the UK so similar timezones

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Reynald said:

Mover_Tuning_2024-06-23T010001.list shall present you a list of file that would have been moved if testmode was set to no. Is this list empty?

Please set TestMode to "No" to effectively move.

Yes, the list was empty. I had only set it TestMode to "Yes" for a test run, thank you though. TestMode doesn't seem to work though, it just ignores the setting and moves thing like normal.

On 6/28/2024 at 3:45 AM, aldumil said:

Ah, so schedule the Mover is what trigger the Mover Tunning plugin to run? I thought the settings were independent of each other. What I had setup would run the Mover when cache got over 70% and it would run on Sunday at 1:00 regardless of capacity.

Mover tuning is essentially just a filter that sits between the mover being started and the mover actually moving files. So when the mover is called either through a schedule or manual run, if mover tuning is installed instead of just sending every file on the cache to the mover and having them all moved, the files will be filtered based on your settings and then sent to the original mover to move them. 

Mover tuning won't run outside of the mover being invoked. So if you have the schedule set to weekly, it'll only ever invoke the mover weekly (on Sunday in your case) and that's when it will filter files and move them. If you want the behaviour you mentioned where it moves files filtered on a more frequent schedule (set the main schedule to be more frequent) but then moves all files (ignoring tuning) on the sunday, you can use the option "Force move of all files on a schedule".

1 hour ago, aldumil said:

Yes, the list was empty. I had only set it TestMode to "Yes" for a test run, thank you though. TestMode doesn't seem to work though, it just ignores the setting and moves thing like normal.

Test mode works by going through all the steps of the mover without actually sending the files to be moved. If there are no files in a .list during test mode there won't be any in the non test mode.

If the mover is not working for you, it is likely another issue, but the first thing to check would be all the steps in the FAQ#2. Based on your current settings, nothing will move if the cache your share is on is not above 70% capacity. Can you confirm it's using more than 70% currently?

13 hours ago, foo_fighter said:

Mover Tuning doesn't appear to work with UnRaid V7. I had to uninstall the plugin to get mover to work again.

Same experience with the beta 7.  It really is such a great plugin. Don't realize how dependent I've become on the advanced functionality.  So many advantages over using the default mover and not forcing the complete purge of an NVME or cache drive.  For now using unbalanced to move some stuff daily while having associated containers offline.

7 hours ago, wuudogg said:

Same experience with the beta 7.  It really is such a great plugin. Don't realize how dependent I've become on the advanced functionality.  So many advantages over using the default mover and not forcing the complete purge of an NVME or cache drive.  For now using unbalanced to move some stuff daily while having associated containers offline.

For a quick fix until the plugin is patched you can create a symlink for 7 betas

Put this into /boot/config/go so it is recreated when you reboot.

ln -s /usr/libexec/unraid/move /usr/local/sbin/move

Following command should show the link

root@computenode:/# ls -l /usr/local/sbin/move
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Jun 29 21:18 /usr/local/sbin/move -> /usr/libexec/unraid/move*
root@computenode:/# 

• Thanks 1
Go File Updated and rebooted:
#mover workaround######
ln -s /usr/libexec/unraid/move /usr/local/sbin/move 
#######################
Jun 30 10:08:38 Zooraid root: Starting Mover
Jun 30 10:08:38 Zooraid root: ionice -c 2 -n 0 nice -n 0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.mover.tuning/age_mover start 15 0 0 '' '' '' '' no 100 '' '' 40
Jun 30 10:08:38 Zooraid move: Log Level: 1
Jun 30 10:08:38 Zooraid move: /usr/local/sbin/move does not exists, creating soft link
Jun 30 10:08:38 Zooraid move: ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/local/sbin/move': File exists
Jun 30 10:08:38 Zooraid move: mover: started
Jun 30 10:08:40 Zooraid move: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.mover.tuning/age_mover: line 250: /usr/local/sbin/move: No such file or directory
Jun 30 10:08:40 Zooraid move: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.mover.tuning/age_mover: line 250: /usr/local/sbin/move: No such file or directory
root@zooraid:~# ls -l /usr/libexec/unraid/move
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 31176 Jun 26 13:43 /usr/libexec/unraid/move*
root@zooraid:~# ls -l /usr/local/sbin/move
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Jun 30 09:53 /usr/local/sbin/move -> /usr/local/bin/move