Cannot connect to unRaid shares from Windows 10

Raid has SMB enabled. Was functioning until about (mumble) months ago - I can search for my first post on the failure if necessary.

ping, NFS, console, terminal, etc (I.E. _ALL_ other access to server functional.

Failure sequence (text. screen caps if needed)

explorer | this pc | map network drive

selection box:

chose drive letter

click browse

browse for folder box appears

click on "tower" get error:
"\\TOWER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The specified network provider name is invalid."

I have verified SMB1 off, 2/3 on. 
I have run through adding a credential.

I have gone through the multi-page pdf from elsethread.

5 minutes ago, lonebear said:

have run through adding a credential.

I have gone through the multi-page pdf from elsethread.

Add a credential to your Unraid server in Credential Manager.  (Delete any other credential for your Unraid server.  Only one credential per server!)  Now make sure that you have created a Share access User on your Unraid server that matches to the one in Credential Manager. 

Go to  Settings   >>>  SMB    and make sure the following is set to "Yes (Workgroup)"

image.png.c58e214eb9baa9ffb3e9e4cabb7b9b78.png

Make sure that you go to the Share that you will be mapping to your PC and change that user to have access to the share.  See below:

image.png.2d3a8bc558fe39f3c6f0c6b7f1ce8a92.png

Notice that you will have to turn on 'Export'  and also grant the 'Share access User' (that you created earlier)  permission to access the Share! 

Reboot your Windows PC

Now try to map the share.  If you have a problem, please post up screen captures of any and all error messages. 

I will look at your suggestions and past the results below. But to be CRYSTAL CLEAR the system was fully functional with SMB and stopped with NO changes being made by me.

The SMB settings are as they have been since before the fail, and Enable SMB is: Yes (Workgroup). And my Windows box is in Workgroup.

My settings - from when it was working HAD SMB exports, Security of public. 

Changed to Private with R/W for my user.  Same exact failure.

There is only 1 windows credential to the server by _name_ (not ip), which I added during this latest round of failures. As noted in my 2nd from last line. Do you mean remove and re-add the same credential?

fail message.png

Delete all credentials to your Unraid so they can be renegotiated.

At Windows command prompt

net use * /delete

Make sure you have an Unraid user setup to access the share you want to access.

Access that share and no other. Login with that Unraid user.

Once Windows has negotiated a user to a remote system, it won't allow any other user. It will pointlessly ask you to login, but it won't use another user.

100% fail. 

I can not attempt to chose a share, which is set to what I had before it stopped working AND what was listed above. When I browse to tower I get the error:

Windows cannot access \\tower

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there may be a problem with your network. To try 

to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

When I enter the IP in the explorer selection bar I see my NFS shares. When I enter \\tower\  i also only see my NFS shares

See the following Control Panel window.  The navigation to it is on the Address bar:

image.png.5d9d5778a9c3f2562cf3048c30a90145.png

Make sure that you are set to a 'Private' network profile and it is marked  "(current profile)".  Then make sure that the two indicated radio buttons are selected.    (The naming of these three options can be a bit confusing at first.  'Private' is the one intended for connecting to networks are designed to be secure-- like your home.  'Guest or Public' is for connecting to open networks like the WiFi connections at airports or McDonald's.) 

Edited by Frank1940

@lonebear, did you try this?

Also, when you ping Tower do you get ipv6 or ipv4? If you disable ipv6 on the Windows NIC, are you able to access shares?

Adding Windows Credential also helps.

Also, before you try to map a network drive, try to browse to the share to make sure credentials are prompted for.

Finally, your Windows machine is on the same workgroup?

Edited by shpitz461

details grabbed from my systems. 

Win:

ip WIRED

ipv4    IP   DHCP
    mask 255.255.255.0
    gw   192.168.1.1

dns (google for testing)

No IPv6

Credential Manager
    win credential to IP using user/password

SMB 1.0 ALL off
SMB Direct on

UnRAID:
network settings
    protocol IPv4 only

nfs
    enable: yes

smb
    enable smb: Yes (Workgroup)
    enable smb multi channel: no
    macos: no    
    netbios: yes

share:
     jeff
    nfs
        export    yes
        security public
    smb
        export    yes
        security public

I just checked and I have found that I can only establish one SMB connection to my Unraid server from my Windows 10 client.  What I mean by this Is I can either use the    \\<SERVER_NAME>   or    \\<IP_ADDRESS>  This is a change from what use to work in that you could use both from a single Windows client and have two logins to the server from one client.  Before anyone asks, I don't what is going and I don't know what changed.   Using the server_name and IP_Address has always been known to be a work_around and not supported officially by anyone... 

image.png.9d248bad80a29b2e19c9380993d21779.png

I do not have NFS setup on my Windows machine so I don't know what happens in that case.  It may be that having an NFS connection may prevent having a SMB connection (and vice/verse).  No proof that this is true but it is one possibility! 

Edited by Frank1940
18 hours ago, lonebear said:

WHY did this stop working.

Maybe something changed in Windows security on that client machine.

5 hours ago, lonebear said:

All the other questions have been tried and answered.

I missed the answer to this

12 hours ago, trurl said:

Do you have any other Windows computer you can try with?

Running from original install on the box from manufacturer. Not a custom anything. No changes have been made by me before the shares failed. ALL changes have been done since NFS and SMB failed. 

The system is now even less useful as I can only see/access one of my regular shares, which were all accessible under NFS before I tried all these 'fixes'. And before you ask, I have rebooted the windows box after each attempted fix.