Cannot connect to unRaid shares from Windows 10

If anyone else gonna have the same problem 0x80070035

My case:

I lost access to my shares from windows just after adding the root password to the default root account.

I've followed this step by step guides, restarted Windows, absolutely nothing helped.

Then started digging myself.

The solution was dead simple:

Go to:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager

and delete UNRAID related login credentials.

SMB will work once again straight away. Don't even need to restart windows.

image.png.7d16267f3706560c2a2384822d3a8902.png

Edit:
If you're on LTSC then you need to "Enable insecure logons" in Local Group Policy

image.thumb.png.a37a3d58ebb43c0437978442f2b2b064.png

Edited by BeersTeddy
update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If anyone has problems with their server not appearing in Network on Windows and are running 6.10.0-rc3, the following should fix you up (if you are running Docker)

With user scripts, set up a new script set to run at Array Start

#!/bin/bash
sleep 60
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

The sleep is so that the system gets up and running and stabilized before restarting SMB

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Squid said:

If anyone has problems with their server not appearing in Network on Windows and are running 6.10.0-rc3, the following should fix you up (if you are running Docker)

With user scripts, set up a new script set to run at Array Start

#!/bin/bash
sleep 60
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

The sleep is so that the system gets up and running and stabilized before restarting SMB

Thanks!
I use RC4 and that has helped me.
Will this be fixed in the next RC versions? Or do you always have to use the script now?

On 3/18/2022 at 7:32 PM, BeersTeddy said:

If anyone else gonna have the same problem 0x80070035

My case:

I lost access to my shares from windows just after adding the root password to the default root account.

I've followed this step by step guides, restarted Windows, absolutely nothing helped.

Then started digging myself.

The solution was dead simple:

Go to:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager

and delete UNRAID related login credentials.

SMB will work once again straight away. Don't even need to restart windows.

image.png.7d16267f3706560c2a2384822d3a8902.png

Thank You very much, I was racking my brain forever trying to find this simple fix.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:31 AM, BuTscH said:

Yes, I can confirm that. After my server goes to sleep and I wake it up again, the server does not appear on the network.

4 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Is this a "RC-only" problem or what is it?

I never saw this on my unraid...

Network Discovery is basically 'broke' on all recent releases of Windows.  It happened when MS blocked SMBv1 support.  MS is apparently not going to provide a 'fix' as this condition has persisted for several years.  There are a few settings in Windows that may make things work for a while but MS has often reset those when they do a security update.  That are two thing s which seem to work.

First, you can map a Unraid resource (either a share or a folder in a share) as a drive on your Windows computers.  This Mapping should be set to connect at bootup of your Windows machine. (Note, if your server is in a sleep mode, this may fail to work. I have not tested it...)

Second, You can proactively set up a replacement for the 'Network' icon in Windows Explorer.  You can find out how to do this by down the attached .PDF in the first post of this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup

Read the section entitled "Step 1– Fixing the Windows Explorer Issue".   You are basically setting a replacement for the "Network" icon.  I called it "Network Neighborhood" but you could name it anything that you wanted it. 

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I have the same problem when i want to map a network drive in Windows 10.  I can access my UNRAID gui with root and password and i also see my shared network folder but when i want to access it i really don't know what my username and password is.

I'am feeling terribly stupid at the moment but i don't know how to solve it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Cyaankali
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, francrouge said:

i'm unable to connect to my shares to unraid with win10

Ive tried \\tower or with the ip 

its not working for the past 3 days

any infos?

What is the error message from Win10?  

Server Diagnostics

Have you read this post and the link to the guide thread?

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77442-cannot-connect-to-unraid-shares-from-windows-10/page/2/#comment-1010981

Google        error 0x80070035

Do you have other computers that can establish  access the files on your  Unraid server? 

There is a good chance that you need to follow the setup procedure in the link that I gave you.  Microsoft has been increasing security features on Windows 10 and with the auto updating of the OS that they do, they will sometimes change the security settings or remove existing features/services in those updates.   

To  make the problem even worse, Windows error messages are often confusing and don't always indicate the real cause of the problem.   

21 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Google        error 0x80070035

Do you have other computers that can establish  access the files on your  Unraid server? 

There is a good chance that you need to follow the setup procedure in the link that I gave you.  Microsoft has been increasing security features on Windows 10 and with the auto updating of the OS that they do, they will sometimes change the security settings or remove existing features/services in those updates.   

To  make the problem even worse, Windows error messages are often confusing and don't always indicate the real cause of the problem.   

i will check youre link and no no computers are able to access it

We use some of our shares in our Business to get software installers for customers PC's,

we found we can solve the issue most of the time of requesting passwords and unable to access by ip or name by setting the network type to private,

just another option.

Screenshot 2022-06-16 100159.png

Screenshot 2022-06-16 100837.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I also have a problem, though the other way around. Recently a week or so ago I shared a folder on Windows 10 and mounted it as a share on Unraid so I could move files from my PC to the Unraid server.

I tried to move files today on Rsync and was told the directory didn't exist. I looked at the share on Unraid and saw that despite being mounted, it was not accessible anymore. I deleted the share and remade it, and now when I mount it, it loads and then just asks me to mount it again. I have tried mounting it using both the name of the server and the IP address, and while it finds all the shares on my computer without issue, I am unable to mount it.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

problem.png

Edited by joshu
format
22 minutes ago, joshu said:

shared a folder on Windows 10 and mounted it as a share on Unraid

Remote shares are a feature of Unassigned Devices. You should ask about this on its support thread with your diagnostics.

You can go directly to the correct support thread for any of your Plugins by clicking its Support Thread link on your Plugins page

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, trurl said:

Remote shares are a feature of Unassigned Devices. You should ask about this on its support thread with your diagnostics.

You can go directly to the correct support thread for any of your Plugins by clicking its Support Thread link on your Plugins page

Honestly thank you so much! I did not even need to consult that forum.

For some reason it didn't occur to me to check system logs / diagnostics for help. I did that and quickly narrowed the problem down to Microsoft accounts being an absolute pain. I switched my login from a Microsoft account to a local account and the share worked without issue. Thanks again for the help!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am at a loss here.  Reviving an old thread for some assistance.  I have a Windows 10 (now Windows 11) PC that I am using to access my unraid.  I've had network shares set up for some time and have never had issues...until now.  As little as 4-5 days ago, my network shares worked just fine.  Now I am getting an error when I try to access my network shares from my Windows 10 PC.  All shares are disconnected and all shares spit out the same error box:

image.png.266ef86afbb81c8ecc725a568357e3ca.png

I've tried tons of things and have not gotten anything to work.  Things I tried include:

Remap the Drive Using Command Prompt, Reinitializing Computer Browser, Delete a Key in Registry re: Mountpoints2, Enable File and Printer Sharing in Your Firewall, restoring to a few days ago, I even upgraded to Windows 11, and a few other things.  Nothing.

I posted in the UD forum and deleted the UD plugins and still saw the issue.  Restarted server.  Nothing seems to be working.

The odd thing is I can still ping the server from my desktop PC, I can access Plex on the server via the webbrowser and my ip (\\192....:port) and all that works.  It's just these network shares that aren't working.  Can also access the server using PuTTy.  It feels like my computer can access the server--simply seems isolated to SMB shares?

Does anyone have any help or suggestions you can recommend?  I am at a total loss and I use these quite frequently. 

Thanks!

Edited by Hawkins12