Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Unraid

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

Featured Replies

I'd settle for just one working standard ;)

  • Replies 2.5k
  • Views 653.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upgraded to 6.8.2 this morning and now i am unable to connect to my system. I have a static IP on the system and a reservation in my router for it. 

 

I was able to boot into GUI mode and still not able to access anything.  Any Help would be appreciated. I have already done the following:

 

Rebooted the System ( 3 times)

Checked for Connectivity on the server ports (both light show connection)

rebooted the Router

Removed the Routers configure ( thinking maybe something was wrong there)

Removed the extra connections on the system ( i have a broadcom dual GIG nic)

 

 

i would love to give a system report but im not sure how to get you one if i cant get to the GUI

 

 

thanks in advanced

17 hours ago, CHBMB said:

v6.8.2 uploaded.

 

Delayed for a few reasons, had problems (and still do) with the nvidia container runtime, worked around it in the end, but not a long term solution looking forward, I'm working like a dog at the moment as my current real life job finishes in 2 days and I'm having to put a ton of extra hours in, wife a bit ungainly at the moment as very heavily pregnant so I'm having to do a bit more for our existing beast, and to add to that bass_rock has been away for work, so kind of a perfect storm of not having much time to sit down with this, although I have been trying to get it working every chance I've had.

 

Anyways, I've tested this version, think everything is working, and I believe all the out of tree drivers are squared away.  Last version (v6.8.1) might have been missing the Intel 1gb driver as I hadn't realised that it was different to the 10gb driver.

 

Thank you, much appreciated.

 

Any particular details you can share on the nvidia container run-time issues you have experienced? Anything that we should be wary of?

 

Cheers.

15 minutes ago, ezhik said:

 

Thank you, much appreciated.

 

Any particular details you can share on the nvidia container run-time issues you have experienced? Anything that we should be wary of?

 

Cheers.

Just build related issues I believe, nothing that would affect the enduser

Edited by aptalca

7 hours ago, 08deanr said:

Upgraded to 6.8.2 this morning and now i am unable to connect to my system. I have a static IP on the system and a reservation in my router for it. 

 

I was able to boot into GUI mode and still not able to access anything.  Any Help would be appreciated. I have already done the following:

 

Rebooted the System ( 3 times)

Checked for Connectivity on the server ports (both light show connection)

rebooted the Router

Removed the Routers configure ( thinking maybe something was wrong there)

Removed the extra connections on the system ( i have a broadcom dual GIG nic)

 

 

i would love to give a system report but im not sure how to get you one if i cant get to the GUI

 

 

thanks in advanced

So it boots, up and you can go into the GUI in local mode, but it freezes and you can't click on anything?

4 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

So it boots, up and you can go into the GUI in local mode, but it freezes and you can't click on anything?

no freeze im able to use command line if i have a Keyboard, mouse  and monitor plugged into the server. but even booted into GUI mode im still not able to see the interface. all i get is destination unreachable. 

1 minute ago, 08deanr said:

no freeze im able to use command line if i have a Keyboard, mouse  and monitor plugged into the server. but even booted into GUI mode im still not able to see the interface. all i get is destination unreachable. 

OK, so you're saying the NIC (network card) is not recognised and therefore you must log in locally.  You're saying this happened after upgrading the firmware.  I've seen various reports that there's some NIC drivers missing or similar from a few firmware releases.  I'd suggest you log in locally and downgrade the firmware to whatever worked for you before.  Given you don't have a network card working, to do this, you can copy the relevant files to the usb boot key in the /config folder I think via another computer.  There are instructions on this forum somewhere that just right now I can't find.  I think you search for downgrade unraid firmware.  Someone else can probably point you in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

OK, so you're saying the NIC (network card) is not recognised and therefore you must log in locally.  You're saying this happened after upgrading the firmware.  I've seen various reports that there's some NIC drivers missing or similar from a few firmware releases.  I'd suggest you log in locally and downgrade the firmware to whatever worked for you before.  Given you don't have a network card working, to do this, you can copy the relevant files to the usb boot key in the /config folder I think via another computer.  There are instructions on this forum somewhere that just right now I can't find.  I think you search for downgrade unraid firmware.  Someone else can probably point you in the right direction.

Kinda what i was afraid of, But being this is a newer x570 board i would have thought i would have been alright but guess not.... 

Normally you would be, you could try the official one and the unraid one and see if one works better than the other.  They don't tend to remove drivers, usually it's by accident.  I suspect it's only in the unraid firmware,  but could be wrong.  You could also try deleting your network config in the config directory, it might come back to life. 

7 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

Normally you would be, you could try the official one and the unraid one and see if one works better than the other.  They don't tend to remove drivers, usually it's by accident.  I suspect it's only in the unraid firmware,  but could be wrong.  You could also try deleting your network config in the config directory, it might come back to life. 

Tried the delete of the network Config and got the same issue. Ended up going with the true Unraid one and all is well now, So it seems that the driver was removed for some reason. Is there a way i can see what driver is being used?

I’d ping the dev of this kernel, he needs to know which driver needs to be added to the nvidia build.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any word on the issue - I don't want to upgrade if drivers are missing (don't have time to troubleshoot if things go wrong).

 

Also, is there a reason why they can't be mainstreamed into Unraid?

50 minutes ago, tknx said:

Any word on the issue - I don't want to upgrade if drivers are missing (don't have time to troubleshoot if things go wrong).

 

Also, is there a reason why they can't be mainstreamed into Unraid?

i sent a message to someone on the Linux|Server.io  but i doubt anything will be done as they stat there wouldn't be incremental updates

Edited by 08deanr

Well, that kind of sucks since 6.8.2 is a security fix and now I get to decide where to roll the dice.

14 minutes ago, tknx said:

Well, that kind of sucks since 6.8.2 is a security fix and now I get to decide where to roll the dice.

i would go with the transcode quality for a little bit. Fix the security patch and wait for the next RC-1 update 

15 hours ago, 08deanr said:

Tried the delete of the network Config and got the same issue. Ended up going with the true Unraid one and all is well now, So it seems that the driver was removed for some reason. Is there a way i can see what driver is being used?

lsmod will list currently loaded modules.

2 hours ago, 08deanr said:

i sent a message to someone on the Linux|Server.io  but i doubt anything will be done as they stat there wouldn't be incremental updates

BTW I don't think this issue is fixable by linuxserver.io.  It's to do with the kernel built by the dev of this plugin.  So that's @CHBMB I believe.  He mentioned he's very busy at the moment, so I wouldn't expect a quick response.  I've effectively let him know from this message so you don't need to. 

 

As a quick explanation, the kernel is what you see loading when you first start your unraid box if you have a screen plugged in (all that geeky text).  It manages the interface between your hardware (i.e network card, hard drives, bios etc) and the software (i.e. the GUI of unraid, docker etc).  If a driver is missed out (or just configured wrong etc), it won't load / work correctly.  The drivers are built into the kernel at build time and are generally not easy to add by an end user (particularly in unraid) due to it booting from USB.  It's actually why this plugin was created, to get around this problem and why a whole kernel had to be rebuilt just to add nvidia.

 

So if we want nvidia drivers and a fix for a network card, we're reliant on the developer of this plugin and it's custom kernel, or someone with access to the developers build system.  I don't think the build system is public, so I suspect we're left with one developer to contact.  I'd love to get my hands on it I have to admit, but there would be more talented people than me in line for that!

15 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:

BTW I don't think this issue is fixable by linuxserver.io.  It's to do with the kernel built by the dev of this plugin.  So that's @CHBMB I believe.  He mentioned he's very busy at the moment, so I wouldn't expect a quick response.  I've effectively let him know from this message so you don't need to. 

 

As a quick explanation, the kernel is what you see loading when you first start your unraid box if you have a screen plugged in (all that geeky text).  It manages the interface between your hardware (i.e network card, hard drives, bios etc) and the software (i.e. the GUI of unraid, docker etc).  If a driver is missed out (or just configured wrong etc), it won't load / work correctly.  The drivers are built into the kernel at build time and are generally not easy to add by an end user (particularly in unraid) due to it booting from USB.  It's actually why this plugin was created, to get around this problem and why a whole kernel had to be rebuilt just to add nvidia.

 

So if we want nvidia drivers and a fix for a network card, we're reliant on the developer of this plugin and it's custom kernel, or someone with access to the developers build system.  I don't think the build system is public, so I suspect we're left with one developer to contact.  I'd love to get my hands on it I have to admit, but there would be more talented people than me in line for that!

Completely understandable, i dont expect a change until the next version is released. Going back into the kernel to add a couple drivers would be to much work when the next RC version prolly isnt that far off ( few months prolly at the rate they seem to be going) 

 

I appreciate you pointing it out to the correct person. I have attached LSMOD, hopefully that will help out if not please let me know what i can do to help out. 

LSMOD.txt

He'll need to know which nic you have, which I think I recall was a broadcom.  You could use LSPCI for that, or just do the whole diagnostics upload within unraid is probably best.  Then the info is there so it can be included in the next version.  Might be good to do it on the running version and the non running version to compare if you can manage it.  But at least in the running version so he can see which driver is having the problem.

2 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

He'll need to know which nic you have, which I think I recall was a broadcom.  You could use LSPCI for that, or just do the whole diagnostics upload within unraid is probably best.  Then the info is there so it can be included in the next version.  Might be good to do it on the running version and the non running version to compare if you can manage it.  But at least in the running version so he can see which driver is having the problem.

Here is the diagnostics from the running system. I would rather not mess with it now but if needed i can later i just alot going on now

media-diagnostics-20200204-1929.zip

44 minutes ago, 08deanr said:

Here is the diagnostics from the running system. I would rather not mess with it now but if needed i can later i just alot going on now

media-diagnostics-20200204-1929.zip 213.45 kB · 0 downloads

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
	Subsystem: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:2003]
	Kernel driver in use: tg3
	Kernel modules: tg3
05:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
	Subsystem: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:2003]
	Kernel driver in use: tg3
	Kernel modules: tg3
06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1043:8677]
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
	Kernel modules: r8169

You have two different NICs, which one isn't working?  I'm assuming these logs were from a stock Unraid?

54 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
	Subsystem: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:2003]
	Kernel driver in use: tg3
	Kernel modules: tg3
05:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
	Subsystem: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:2003]
	Kernel driver in use: tg3
	Kernel modules: tg3
06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1043:8677]
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
	Kernel modules: r8169

You have two different NICs, which one isn't working?  I'm assuming these logs were from a stock Unraid?

Correct i have the on board Realtek and the PCI Broadcom and NEITHER were working.  Both are now working with the Stock Unraid

Currently trying to update to 6.8.2 - stuck at the download screen...isn't downloading. If I select any of the standard builds, they work.

 

Some issue server-side? Anyone else seeing this?

 

1221235778_ScreenShot2020-02-05at11_36_51AM.png.4a1662e6d94b799121f21eb71f002249.png

1 hour ago, dirtyofries said:

Currently trying to update to 6.8.2 - stuck at the download screen...isn't downloading. If I select any of the standard builds, they work.

 

Some issue server-side? Anyone else seeing this?

 

1221235778_ScreenShot2020-02-05at11_36_51AM.png.4a1662e6d94b799121f21eb71f002249.png

Do you have a piHole or DNS level blocker? If so try disabling temporarily. 

 

Few post in the near history about this. 

2 hours ago, rmeaux said:

Do you have a piHole or DNS level blocker? If so try disabling temporarily. 

 

Few post in the near history about this. 

I do have PiHole, tried disabling it, still no dice. Oddly enough, the other Nvidia builds download fine as well - it's just 6.8.2 that doesn't work. Really weird. Might just wait awhile.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.