Jump to content
linuxserver.io

[Plugin] Linuxserver.io - Unraid Nvidia

2364 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

So saarg's comment about hardware issues got me thinking.  I took the Quadro P2200 video card out of the system,  now the system boots.  Does that mean I need to revert back to 6.8.0 to use the graphics card?  It was working before with the video card in the system prior to this update.

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, Mogo said:

So saarg's comment about hardware issues got me thinking.  I took the Quadro P2200 video card out of the system,  now the system boots.  Does that mean I need to revert back to 6.8.0 to use the graphics card?  It was working before with the video card in the system prior to this update.

 

I have Quadro P2000. 6.8.1 boots fine.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, CHBMB said:

@Benjamin Picard @wreave

 

Pushed a new build.  I think it should be good, but had some issues with the overall build process and did it manually, and it's half two in the morning, so be grateful if you can test and let me know.

Yes working! Thank you for the quick fix. You guys are fantastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Mogo said:

I put the usb drive into the windows system and at fist it said there were issues do you want to fix etc.. after the scan was complete it said there were no errors found and windows was able to load the usb drive.  I then copied the folder to my desktop like you mentioned as a backup.  I also ran chkdsk from the command prompt and it came back with no errors.

 

So I put the usb back into the system and it still is stuck on system initializing.  Unfortunately the motherboard only has 4 usb 3.0 slots.  I even tried to plug the usb drive into the case slots (not sure if those are 2.0/3.0) and that did not work either.

Yes the system initializing is showing before unraid boot.  It's the first thing that show's when the system is turned on.  I guess I have to take the usb drive out and try and get into the bios?  Since it won't even give me the option to enter the bios.  If it's a hardware failure, how can a software update do that?

 

Thanks noted for future.  I've never had issues with unraid updates (os or otherwise).  This last month it seems everything is breaking for me.  I have to say that everyone on the forum have been very helpful.

I am experiencing the same issue. I have an asrock board with 2 x P2000's installed

 

with the previous 6.8.1 drivers (prior to today) everything worked fine. I updated again to make sure I had the latest goodies and can not boot anymore either. I will have to wait until Friday when im back to triage. looks like someone had success with physically removing his video cards for the time being so I may give that a go 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Jhp612 said:

I am experiencing the same issue. I have an asrock board with 2 x P2000's installed

 

with the previous 6.8.1 drivers (prior to today) everything worked fine. I updated again to make sure I had the latest goodies and can not boot anymore either. I will have to wait until Friday when im back to triage. looks like someone had success with physically removing his video cards for the time being so I may give that a go 

My motherboard is also an asrock.  I didn't have much time today.  I ran some tests and could not get it to boot with the P2200 even when I reverted back to the 6.8.0 nvidia plugin.  For now the video card is not in the system.  That's the only way I can get it to boot.  My bios is quite old I think from 2016.  Asrock has the latest one listed from 2018 ( there's 3-4 bios revisions).  I'm thinking of trying to upgrade the bios.  Don't know why nothing will work with the video card now.  Currently I'm on 6.8.1 but from limetech.

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, so quick questions about real world application/specs of doing this before I drop $400 on a dedicated GPU. I am currently looking at adding a P2000 as it seems to be the most recommended on the different forums I have read while trying to research this. But that research has not turned up the answers I am looking for. 

 

1.  After doing this, 100% of the transcoding plex does will be completed by the GPU and nothing (other than running the docker) will be handled by my CPU correct?

 

2.  What kind of specs can I expect this to allow with the P2000? What I mean is, right now my CPU is a E3-1230V5. If I have a bunch of stuff going on (multiple DL in deluge, moving and renaming files, running plex, sonarr, radarr, lidarr, etc...) even one remote transcode seems to be pegging my CPU. Is there a way to conservatively estimate how many simultaneous transcodes (Lets say 1080 hevc mkv to 720 h264 mp4) the GPU will be able to handle? One reddit thread stated that the P2000 could theoretically handle "unlimited" transcodes, but that is obviously BS. It has to hit a wall at some point, and I am guessing it is a rather low point. Any real world data available from others who are using this?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, jebusfreek666 said:

1.  After doing this, 100% of the transcoding plex does will be completed by the GPU and nothing (other than running the docker) will be handled by my CPU correct?

Any audio transcoding is still handled by the CPU, but that would be significantly lower.  All video is GPU.

 

I don't have a P2000, but there are a few videos where people have got about 12/13 4K transcodes simultaneously (although 4K transcoding doesn't look right yet).  If it's 1080p stuff, more.  I have the 1231 processor, and I find it's now only taxed if one of the other dockers has a moment.  Plex just works, and if I get any holdups, it's usually either a system pause whilst a drive spins up or network congestion.

Share this post


Link to post

Ok so the Nvidia 6.8.1 breaks a few things for me as well.

 

The first is I'm guessing the driver for a Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server PCIE NIC. So I have to use my on board networking. Not a huge issue.

 

My bigger issue is that my Dell Perc H200 SAS card doesn't work with this build, meaning half of my array isn't detected.

Rolled back to 6.8.0 RC9 for now and all is working. 

 

Thanks for the awesome work!

Edited by pXius

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, pXius said:

Rolled back to 6.8.0 RC9 for now and all is working

Just for interest - why not roll back to 6.8.0 stable rather than the RC?

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, itimpi said:

Just for interest - why not roll back to 6.8.0 stable rather than the RC?

Was on 6.8.0- RC5 before trying 6.8.1, so just loaded RC9 out of curiosity. 
Will probably jump on 6.8 stable tonight. 

Edited by pXius

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Mogo said:

My motherboard is also an asrock.  I didn't have much time today.  I ran some tests and could not get it to boot with the P2200 even when I reverted back to the 6.8.0 nvidia plugin.  For now the video card is not in the system.  That's the only way I can get it to boot.  My bios is quite old I think from 2016.  Asrock has the latest one listed from 2018 ( there's 3-4 bios revisions).  I'm thinking of trying to upgrade the bios.  Don't know why nothing will work with the video card now.  Currently I'm on 6.8.1 but from limetech.

If you can't boot and it stops before unraid is loaded, the issue is not unraid. If your bios is from 2016 it is about time you update it.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, saarg said:

If you can't boot and it stops before unraid is loaded, the issue is not unraid. If your bios is from 2016 it is about time you update it.

Then how did it work before on the nvidia 6.8.0 plugin? (Prior to going from nvidia plugin 6.8.0 to nvidia plugin 6.8.1, it booted with the video card in the system)  I tested limetech 6.8.0 and nvidia plugin 6.8.0 when i rolled back.  In both instances the server will not boot when the video card is in there now.   I would assume that I would of had this issue from the very beginning when I installed the video card and not after the upgrade. 

 

Anyways if anyone has any other ideas about what could have happened, let me know.  If not I will try a bios upgrade tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post

@Jhp612 I believe I solved the issue with my P2200 card and asrock motherboard in general.  Going through all my bios options I noticed that the Primary Graphics Adapter was set to pcie.  I changed it to use the onboard vga and now the system will boot with the P2200 installed.  I'm pretty sure that I had it at onbaord vga before.  Perhaps my cmos battery is dying.  I don't know but periodically the bios settings will revert back to default settings.  Hopefully this helps you as well.

 

On another note, I have an issue that's been reported in the general forum about the upgrade to 6.8.1.  I get the line 164 error on unraid boot up for the nvidia 6.8.1 plugin.  Since there seems to be no current solution, how can I go back to nvidia 6.8.0 plugin?  I can only get into unraid when I boot in safe mode with no plugins.  Thanks as always for any help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mogo said:

@Jhp612 I believe I solved the issue with my P2200 card and asrock motherboard in general.  Going through all my bios options I noticed that the Primary Graphics Adapter was set to pcie.  I changed it to use the onboard vga and now the system will boot with the P2200 installed.  I'm pretty sure that I had it at onbaord vga before.  Perhaps my cmos battery is dying.  I don't know but periodically the bios settings will revert back to default settings.  Hopefully this helps you as well.

 

On another note, I have an issue that's been reported in the general forum about the upgrade to 6.8.1.  I get the line 164 error on unraid boot up for the nvidia 6.8.1 plugin.  Since there seems to be no current solution, how can I go back to nvidia 6.8.0 plugin?  I can only get into unraid when I boot in safe mode with no plugins.  Thanks as always for any help.

 

 Thanks for the heads up. I’ll be able to triage when i get back home on Friday. Will report back when i have more info

Share this post


Link to post

Having an asrock board and multiple nvidia GPUs, I was a little gun-shy updating to 6.8.1 based on a few past comments.

 

Updated to Nvidia 6.8.1 without issue.

 

@CHBMB Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone had any success in running nvidia-xconfig or nvidia-settings in /usr/bin? I want to change the fan speed on my Quadro K4000. Is there another way to do this?

 

Edit: Would it be possible to change the GPU settings manually? Change the file that nvidia-settings messes with?

Edited by xl3b4n0nx

Share this post


Link to post

Hello all - Looking for a little help. I was running Nvidia build 6.8 but was having a ton of issues with SMB speeds. I rolled back to 6.7.2 and have been chugging right along for a couple of weeks now. I saw that 6.8.1 was released which apparently corrects slow SMB speeds so I am ready to try upgrading again.

 

Problem is if I try to get into the unraid nvidia plugin it gets stuck at "updating available builds." It has been since I rolled back and now I'm not sure what to do. I have verified network connectivity is correct, ensured PiHole isn't blocking access to anything that the plugin is asking for....no matter how long I wait it never gets past the updating builds screen.

 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, joeloooiz said:

Hello all - Looking for a little help. I was running Nvidia build 6.8 but was having a ton of issues with SMB speeds. I rolled back to 6.7.2 and have been chugging right along for a couple of weeks now. I saw that 6.8.1 was released which apparently corrects slow SMB speeds so I am ready to try upgrading again.

 

Problem is if I try to get into the unraid nvidia plugin it gets stuck at "updating available builds." It has been since I rolled back and now I'm not sure what to do. I have verified network connectivity is correct, ensured PiHole isn't blocking access to anything that the plugin is asking for....no matter how long I wait it never gets past the updating builds screen.

 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Just turn off pihole and try it again

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, aptalca said:

Just turn off pihole and try it again

Hi - I tried doing that but get stuck at the same spot. It never moves past "Updating available builds."

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, joeloooiz said:

Hi - I tried doing that but get stuck at the same spot. It never moves past "Updating available builds."

It's generally someone on your network causing this issue. From previous posts it can be either pihole container or incorrectly configured MTU. Further back in the posts, I believe there is a script you can run from cli to download it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, joeloooiz said:

Hi - I tried doing that but get stuck at the same spot. It never moves past "Updating available builds."

You would also have to set the DNS addresses in the server to point to either a real DNS server (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) or your router, since your settings right now presumably have them pointing at the piHole container.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Squid said:

You would also have to set the DNS addresses in the server to point to either a real DNS server (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) or your router, since your settings right now presumably have them pointing at the piHole container.

This is true except when PiHole is off it defaults to my router's interface which has a direct line out to the ISP's DNS servers. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, j0nnymoe said:

... or incorrectly configured MTU.

So this got me thinking - I have my default route set on a 10 Gb interface. I've got a four port daughter card (2x 10 Gb, 2x Gb) so I changed the default route to a gigabit port that uses a standard MTU size (1500 whereas the 10 Gb runs at 9000 MTU). 

 

Once I did that it worked perfectly first time. Thanks so much for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2020 at 9:31 PM, CHBMB said:

@Benjamin Picard @wreave

 

Pushed a new build.  I think it should be good, but had some issues with the overall build process and did it manually, and it's half two in the morning, so be grateful if you can test and let me know.

Also tested. Works fine on my end with P2000. Much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like SMB speeds are back to being pretty slow on 6.8.1. I had reverted to 6.7.2 due to slow SMB in 6.8 but was told this was corrected in 6.8.1....doesn't seem like its any better. 

 

Guess I'll revert back until a later release

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.