[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

There is now an ALPHA community app that you can test if you would like to.

Instructions -

1) Login to current linuxserver.io unifi controller and take a backup (7 day backup seems reasonable?).

2) Turn off current linuxserver.io unifi controller and disable autostart.

3) Download and install new community app "unifi-controller-reborn" and enable autostart if desired.

4) Restore settings from backup file after logging into the app, once it stops the controller you will need to start it again.

Current issues:

If you change any settings whatsoever on the docker container all settings are lost and you have to restore again from backup. Im working on it.

You have your backup file and the old container is untouched so presumably between those 2 options you can go back if need be.

Many thanks :)

P

Edited by PeteAsking
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Are you going to start a new support thread for this?

Yes when its working to my standard of quality. 

Also if this is the direction people want to go. If everyone votes to go with 2 containers then that would be the direction instead. Have to please the community. 

Edited by PeteAsking
  • Upvote 1

So made some progress but still stuck on this last part because I dont understand unraids docker enough.

Basically you can deploy the community app "unifi-controller-reborn" now and when you deploy it it will deploy but not start.

To fix it you have to stop the container after, then ssh and go to /mnt/user/appdata/ and do a chmod 777 unifi-controller-reborn/.

Now it can write to the directory and everything works and saves correctly and it works like a normal container.

What I can work out is how to get unraid to initially set the permissions on the folder when creating the docker image so this part Im stuck on now.

- P

2 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Are you using PUID=99 PGID=100? I’m no docker guru but I thought that’s what these variables were for.

Yes but I think that only works if the docker maintainer has actually coded to accept those variables which is not the case for this image and it tries to use 1000:1000 and is hard coded into the image.

Ok so for now I can see the issue but not figure out how best to resolve it. There are several ways but none are automatic. The easiest ways I found to change to this image are like this:

1) Take backup 7 days on current controller.

2) Stop old unraid controller and turn off autostart.

3) Go to apps and install new controller (unraid-controller-reborn)

4) Once it is installed, stop the container (it cant write files to the directory unraid creates so does not work)

5) Either ssh into the box and use chmod like "chmod 777 /mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn" OR if you dont like that go to Tools - New Permissions then choose "shares" and "appdata" and let unraid fix the permissions (unclear why this is not done by unraid when creating a new appdata directory, also unclear if this tools-new permissions thing is safe/supported?).

6) Start container and set to autostart. Now it can write files and functions normally and you can change/update it etc as required.

Thoughts on this? Kind of unsure why unraid behaves like it does. Not really an expert obviously on unraid and its docker implementation :/

-P

Edit: also just waiting for unraid to update my xml settings so I have to wait for that to complete before anyone can test it.

Edit2: Wow so apparently unraid has a web terminal so you can just open the web terminal and copy and paste the following 1 line at a time before installing the app:

mkdir /mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn

chmod 777 /mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn

chown nobody /mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn

chgrp users /mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn

Instead of these 4 commands you can also try:

install -d -m 777 -o 99 -g 100 /mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn

That also seems to work. Unsure how to make that happen automatically at this time.

Edited by PeteAsking

I have updated the docker to post a popup message for now when installing instructing users what to do on first install.

As far as I can tell, so long as you follow the initial setup instructions everything works fine after that.

So summary:

1) Take backup 7 days on current controller.

2) Stop old unraid controller and turn off autostart.

3) Set directory permissions (can be done after deploying image if preferred, see notes).

4) Go to apps and install new controller (unraid-controller-reborn)

5) Start container and set to autostart. Ensure it can write files and functions normally and you can change/update it etc as required. Restore backup, will require you to manually start it again after backup is restored.

It seems pretty basic, just dont have an immediate fix for the "fix directory permissions" issue at this moment. It is a one time thing, however, not needed ever again.

Edited by PeteAsking

Im going to make a support thread for this new docker container option, then on this thread everyone can discuss the direction you think works best for the community without worrying about what I think. Will edit this comment when the support thread has been moved by a mod and post the link. Hopefully some people provide their opinion so its not like 3 people making a decision for 100s of people.

edit: 

Edited by PeteAsking
1 hour ago, PeteAsking said:

Im going to make a support thread for this new docker container option, then on this thread everyone can discuss the direction you think works best for the community without worrying about what I think. Will edit this comment when the support thread has been moved by a mod and post the link. Hopefully some people provide their opinion so its not like 3 people making a decision for 100s of people.

I think that’s the best plan.

My guess is most people that use this docker don’t have any knowledge of what’s happening with it because they don’t follow this thread. Once it’s deprecated in CA I’ll bet there will be a lot of surprised people posting. Hopefully by that time there will be several options.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Once it’s deprecated in CA I’ll bet there will be a lot of surprised people posting. Hopefully by that time there will be several options.

Everyone that has it installed and FCP will start getting the notifications about the pending deprecations

• Like 2

unifi-controller (lscr.io/linuxserver/unifi-controller:latest) has the following comments: On January 1, 2024 this container will be deprecated and will no longer receive any updates. It is recommended to use //unifi-network-application\ instead.

Great...

Except the new docker doesn't set up mongo nor work... when will that be fixed?

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-unifi-network-application/pkgs/container/unifi-network-application

Any documentation to migrate??? 

This is not enoth to move:

Migration From Unifi-Controller

If you were using the mongoless tag for the Unifi Controller container, you can switch directly to the Unifi Network Application container without needing to perform any migration steps.

You cannot perform an in-place upgrade from an existing Unifi-Controller container, you must run a backup and then a restore.

The simplest migration approach is to take a full backup of your existing install, including history, from the Unifi-Controller web UI, then shut down the old container.

You can then start up the new container with a clean /config mount (and a database container configured), and perform a restore using the setup wizard.

Thank you PeteAsking looks like there may be in earlierthread post from thread: can we get a pin post?

and

What is wrong with this version, why the change?

Running latest 7.5.187 with no issue. Updating a poe 8 unifi switch and AX 6 LR UFO.

Have not had any with this type of config using macvlan:

Command execution
docker run
  -d
  --name='unifi-controller'
  --net='br0'
  --ip='192.168.1.4'
  --privileged=true
  -e TZ="America/Chicago"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="BMM-Unraid"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="unifi-controller"
  -e 'TCP_PORT_8443'='8443'
  -e 'UDP_PORT_3478'='3478'
  -e 'UDP_PORT_10001'='10001'
  -e 'TCP_PORT_8080'='8080'
  -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900'
  -e 'TCP_PORT_8843'='8843'
  -e 'TCP_PORT_8880'='8880'
  -e 'TCP_PORT_6789'='6789'
  -e 'UDP_PORT_5514'='5514'
  -e 'MEM_LIMIT'='2048'
  -e 'MEM_STARTUP'='2048'
  -e 'PUID'='99'
  -e 'PGID'='100'
  -e 'UMASK'='022'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='https://[IP]:[PORT:8443]'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/docker-templates/master/linuxserver.io/img/unifi-controller-logo.png'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller/':'/config':'rw'
  --mac-address 02:42:C0:A8:01:5B
  --hostname UNIFI-DOCKER 'lscr.io/linuxserver/unifi-controller'
18ee20bfa78921ba6362b499f7b9813beab398ece8f2f9338cfabdf6c1f22957

The command finished successfully!

However, trying to run the new docker to change the default template gives me errors in the log of not being able to access a mongo DB.  Even with a separate mongo DB running at the host level...

docker run
  -d
  --name='unifi-network-application'
  --net='br0'
  --ip='192.168.1.4'
  -e TZ="America/Chicago"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="unifi-network-application"
  -e 'MONGO_USER'='unifi'
  -e 'MONGO_PASS'='bmmwew2023!'
  -e 'MONGO_HOST'='192.168.1.254'
  -e 'MONGO_PORT'='27017'
  -e 'MONGO_DBNAME'='unifi'
  -e 'MEM_LIMIT'='1024'
  -e 'MEM_STARTUP'='1024'
  -e 'MONGO_TLS'=''
  -e 'MONGO_AUTHSOURCE'=''
  -e 'PUID'='99'
  -e 'PGID'='100'
  -e 'UMASK'='022'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/docker-templates/master/linuxserver.io/img/unifi-network-application-icon.png'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/unifi-network-application':'/config':'rw'
  --hostname UNIFI-DOCKER 'lscr.io/linuxserver/unifi-network-application'
7af87ecb14121c01215416bf656af27eb18546479176761636b5f08c38774958

With error:

[migrations] started
[migrations] no migrations found
───────────────────────────────────────

██╗     ███████╗██╗ ██████╗ 
      ██║     ██╔════╝██║██╔═══██╗
      ██║     ███████╗██║██║   ██║
      ██║     ╚════██║██║██║   ██║
      ███████╗███████║██║╚██████╔╝
      ╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝ ╚═════╝ 

Brought to you by linuxserver.io

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/

GID/UID

User UID:    99
User GID:    100

*** Waiting for MONGO_HOST 192.168.1.254 to be reachable. ***
*** Defined MONGO_HOST 192.168.1.254 is not reachable, cannot proceed. ***

Even then, issues with not being able to access the unify web interface. Bridge, custom bridge nor host seems to work....

Any ideas?

Edited by bmartino1
fix spelling and web links add data
On 10/28/2023 at 7:29 AM, wgstarks said:

1. Open a terminal window and create a custom docker network with the following command- 

docker network create <network name>

Replace <network name> with the name you would like to use. I used unifi for simplicity. You will need to use this network for MongoDB and unifi-network-application so that they can communicate with each other.

I didn't have to create a custom unifi bridge network to have unifi container see the database container, just use the IP address of the unraid server instead of a host name, much easier.

MONGO_HOST: <ip-address>

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, bmartino1 said:

Except the new docker doesn't set up mongo nor work... when will that be fixed?

You are correct that it doesn’t setup MongoDB but it does work. Instructions are here. If you read through the last two or three pages you will see that there are also other options under development.

• Like 1

You guys have to read the last few pages @bmartino1 and @kiwijunglist or you will miss what is happening. 

You currently have 2 options - go with linuxserver.io and 2 docker images running that communicate with each other as per @wgstarks work or a single new docker option that is the same as /similar to this current linuxserver option that I am working on. The entire hope and point of this exercise is that the community hopefully selects the most reliable/best option and eventually this is used going forward. That can only happen if you make an informed decision and post back your experience and preference after reviewing the options. Hope this makes sense. @wgstarks has been super helpful with everything so far. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

You guys have to read the last few pages @bmartino1 and @kiwijunglist or you will miss what is happening. 

You currently have 2 options - go with linuxserver.io and 2 docker images running that communicate with each other as per @wgstarks work or a single new docker option that is the same as /similar to this current linuxserver option that I am working on. The entire hope and point of this exercise is that the community hopefully selects the most reliable/best option and eventually this is used going forward. That can only happen if you make an informed decision and post back your experience and preference after reviewing the options. Hope this makes sense. @wgstarks has been super helpful with everything so far. 

Thank you both for your work and help. Yes, as I'm trying to forge my way back in time to see what happened and how we are to proceed. Since I'm clearly having issues with the new linuxio with mongo db and I don't want to have 2 dockers like my Nextcloud instance. I would prefer to install new and try migrating. I assume we are testing or having members move to this instance?

Trying to follow your steps here:

My question is your docker under the community app with a template? Or is there a different app to use or attempt to use peteasking version?

lolz looks like I answered my own question. I will give it a try.

image.png.88986a0e797d3a865fddc9796a9c9cb5.png

Thank you both again!

Now for the task of moving things over. I think its better to start fresher than try to restore other deployment may differ:

image.thumb.png.03f5bb81afe77431b9f9ee80be1ca429.png

make directory per instruction and set permission...

docker run
  -d
  --name='unifi-controller-reborn'
  --net='br0'
  --ip='192.168.1.4'
  --privileged=true
  -e TZ="America/Chicago"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="unifi-controller-reborn"
  -e 'MEM_LIMIT'='4096'
  -e 'MEM_STARTUP'='2048'
  -e 'User_ID'='100'
  -e 'GROUP_ID'='101'
  -e 'UMASK'='002'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/11403137/277435263-1b01facd-1b15-4ba7-9495-e709c291d67f.jpg'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn':'/unifi/var':'rw'
  --memory=4G
  --hostname UNIFI-DOCKER '11notes/unifi:7.5.187'
WARNING: Your kernel does not support swap limit capabilities or the cgroup is not mounted. Memory limited without swap.
64c8ecaa33aa09d8d063b27a1273a775dda5343189ec29d38046dcd54e979d4c

The command finished successfully!

Lowered ram from 8 to 4 added uid and guid. and my own mac/hostname for easier networking.

What I have found is that is works but is not stable. unable to configure, adopt, or restore configs.

the other method with 2 dockers unifi-network-aplication give a dead web server 404 error.

PM you both. Need a stable instance if i'm to transition off and assist..

Edited by bmartino1
answers / update
  • Like 1

Can you post issues on the other thread @bmartino1? Start also by showing me an ls -l on the appdata folder so I can verify permissions are correct. 

Probably you also need to backup and restore like versions. As in dont try to backup on the old controller a very okd version then restore to the new docker container running a much later configuration that same backup. Forst bring the current docker into compliance and then do a backup/restore. 

This is the thread here:

Edited by PeteAsking
  • Thanks 1

Thank you

Was mainly looking for this and the reason why:

https://info.linuxserver.io/issues/2023-09-06-unifi-controller/

LinuxServer.io

Unifi Controller Deprecation Notice

September 6, 2023 at 9:00 PM

Deprecations unifi-controller unifi-network-application

Due to the way in which Ubiquiti package and distribute their software, our Unifi Controller container has reached a point where we cannot upgrade to newer supported packages without making breaking changes to the image.

As a result, we have decided to deprecate our Unifi Controller container and replace it with a new Unifi Network Application container. This new container uses our current base images and a separate mongodb instance, which makes it substantially easier for us to maintain going forward.

We will continue to support our Unifi Controller image until 2024-01-01, at which point you will need to have migrated to the Unifi Network Application container to continue to receive support.

The new container is not a drop-in replacement and it is crucial that you read the entire Application Setup section of the readme before attempting to migrate an existing install

Those of you who have been using our mongoless tag for the Unifi Controller container can switch directly to the Unifi Network Application container without needing to perform any migration steps.

Last updated: September 5, 2023 at 7:21 PM

there is always the VM option:

https://ui.com/download/releases/network-server

My next test will be with a mogoless setup:

Repository: lscr.io/linuxserver/unifi-controller:mongoless

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmartino1 said:

Thank you

Was mainly looking for this and the reason why:

https://info.linuxserver.io/issues/2023-09-06-unifi-controller/

LinuxServer.io

Unifi Controller Deprecation Notice

September 6, 2023 at 9:00 PM

Deprecations unifi-controller unifi-network-application

Due to the way in which Ubiquiti package and distribute their software, our Unifi Controller container has reached a point where we cannot upgrade to newer supported packages without making breaking changes to the image.

As a result, we have decided to deprecate our Unifi Controller container and replace it with a new Unifi Network Application container. This new container uses our current base images and a separate mongodb instance, which makes it substantially easier for us to maintain going forward.

We will continue to support our Unifi Controller image until 2024-01-01, at which point you will need to have migrated to the Unifi Network Application container to continue to receive support.

The new container is not a drop-in replacement and it is crucial that you read the entire Application Setup section of the readme before attempting to migrate an existing install

Those of you who have been using our mongoless tag for the Unifi Controller container can switch directly to the Unifi Network Application container without needing to perform any migration steps.

Last updated: September 5, 2023 at 7:21 PM

there is always the VM option:

https://ui.com/download/releases/network-server

My next test will be with a mogoless setup:

Repository: lscr.io/linuxserver/unifi-controller:mongoless

This is a must:

Please make a copy of you backup and firmware folder in the old docker container. Please go to the gear system > setting > backup and download current backup of your system.

This is the new required to use the next gen package maintainers version per the announcement. If you rather stick to one docker please use PeteAsking version found here: 

Thank you PereAsking!

Now then, Here is Some documentation on what users can do to stay in a package maintainers and receive continued updates and support.

Unifi Docker Application Setup:

Following the LinuxServer.IO group and to keep with package maintainer:

Following there GitHub for setup…

See: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-unifi-network-application 

Lets start by Setting Up Your External Database Unraid Community App page: Mongo DB

image.thumb.png.a88aa81765da410416428b7bc60c999e.png

Maintainer Notes This is meant for mongodb 3.6 through 4.4 that are supported… but docker template works for Official mongo db image: https://hub.docker.com/layers/library/mongo/7.0-rc/images/sha256-5227c4e82658359049d86d9b87039b989e2b4e42908d93fcb6f042b8846a4cdb?context=explore 

Docker Hub Repository: mongo:7.0-rc

The new Unifi Docker Application requires mongodb version 6 or higher…. YOU MUST SET A MONGO TAG! Don’t use latest! Mongdb doesn’t support in place upgrades between dockers and this will break you setup!

We will also be making a  init-mongo.js file for this docker to make our database, user, and access.

THANK YOU wgstarks for you assistance on this:

So a template change edit would look something like this:

Install Official Mongo DB and at the template make the necessary changes:

*Advance toggle at the top to view and make changes

We will be adding a path, changing the network type and setting a mongo DB tag

Change the following:

image.png.6000f04e472e2a256278496b78f78f2d.png

image.png.391c80843c45d0b5047525906f2378f2.png

image.png.c008fe6fea4a89b8447776dd57fc344e.png

*Unraid by default will go to folders you will need to go to where your init-mongo.js file you make is and type in the path to do a docker 1 for 1 file replacement and run.

The init-mongo.js via GitHub Docker Maintainer should look something like this

example init-mongo.js per github

db.getSiblingDB("unifidb").createUser({user: "unifi", pwd: "Change_ME_password", roles: [{role: "dbOwner", db: "unifidb"}]});
db.getSiblingDB("unifidb_stat").createUser({user: "unifi", pwd: " Change_ME_password ", roles: [{role: "dbOwner", db: "unifidb_stat"}]});

With these edits you now have a working mongo 7 DB with a known database, user an password. Using the Host network now means that the ip address of you unraid or hostname of you unraid will now reach the MongDB.

Example of a docker run:

docker run
  -d
  --name='MongoDB'
  --net='host'
  -e TZ="America/Chicago"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="MongoDB"
  -e 'TCP_PORT_27017'='27017'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jason-bean/docker-templates/master/jasonbean-repo/mongo.sh-600x600.png'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controler/mongodb/db-data/':'/data/db':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controler/mongodb/init-mongo.js':'/docker-entrypoint-initdb.d/init-mongo.js':'ro' 'mongo:7.0-rc'

I Have made folders and changed where docker will save the docker appdata and file paths...

image.thumb.png.08076a3dcf9651cb769106c441fafeee.png

We are now ready to install the NEW Unifi Docker.
image.png.39c27925e4835566212bfb3b9972d505.png

Now lets make some small changes.

I run  an advance static network as such I like to have hostnames and mac address via custom Br0 to maintain ip firewall and known traffic. This will still work in bridge mode:

example of my working docker run:

docker run
  -d
  --name='unifi-network-application'
  --net='br0'
  --ip='192.168.1.4'
  -e TZ="America/Chicago"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="unifi-network-application"
  -e 'MONGO_USER'='unifi'
  -e 'MONGO_PASS'='change+me_password!'
  -e 'MONGO_HOST'='Unradihosname/IP addrerss'
  -e 'MONGO_PORT'='27017'
  -e 'MONGO_DBNAME'='unifidb'
  -e 'MEM_LIMIT'='4096'
  -e 'MEM_STARTUP'='1024'
  -e 'PUID'='99'
  -e 'PGID'='100'
  -e 'UMASK'='022'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/linuxserver/docker-templates/master/linuxserver.io/img/unifi-network-application-icon.png'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controler/unifi_config/':'/config':'rw'
  --hostname UNIFI-DOCKER 'lscr.io/linuxserver/unifi-network-application'

lets make some tempalte edits:

add https://[IP]:[PORT:8443] so we can use the webui to open the container

image.png.cb868e1ae19a99a5a1d8dce1eb43c1ac.png

image.thumb.png.091a9443a3bdf915bdeee1a89380fe4a.png

add the username you used in the init-mongo.js

atm the above database name is unifidb, user unifi, password Change_Me_password

and the host is the ip/hostname of unraid...

fill in the necessary option in their correct places in the template.

as they are optional, remove the bottom 2 options about the auth method and tls option.

I have also increased the mem limit to 4 GB of ram

this will now connect to the mongo db 7 on the unraid IP. and give you a https web connect to the controller.

at setup click restore at bottom left and restore from the file you backed up at the very beginning.

You will need to stop the unifi docker after the restore to move the backup folder and firmware folder to keep old backups and old device firmware.

I Hope this helps other and users alike in moving and maintain their current configurations. I recommend moving sooner than later to keep back and restore files on the current unifi application version. as of writing that is: v7.5.187

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2