What media player route did you take and why?

talmania

I've chosen my media storage server for the foreseeable future (Unraid of course) but have been waffling lately when considering which route to go with for my media players.

Currently have a WDTV Live and a old Popcorn Hour A110.  What is most important to me is ease of use and user interface (for the wife and kids).  My number one priority is format/container support and the ability to play BD menus.  I've been strongly leaning towards the upcoming Dune media player (yet to be released) running Zapitti but lately have been considering something like the zbox running xbmc or some other variant.  I get the whole appliance vs PC debate and am technical but have to this point leaned towards appliance based on the usability for others in my household.  How is the XBMC interface for ease of use?  Once running is it rock solid?

Which route did you choose and why did you make that choice?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose XBMC running on either the Revo or Zbox (both work well).  I believe that the XBMC interface is the best out there - looks great, and is easy to use.

It is 99% rock solid, but I still run into hiccups with the library mode from time to time.  Basically, anything that isn't in XBMC's database (moviedb.org, imdb, etc.) doesn't show up in your library.  So certain custom files (such as my Rifftrax movies) aren't accessible through the library.  I have to switch to 'files' view to browse to them specifically.  It is annoying, but not the end of the world.  Also, I've got a few files that should show up in my library but don't, for no reason that I can tell.  MacGuyver season 1, for example.  The show appears in my library of TV shows, but when you select it no episodes are available to watch.  Browsing for it through the files mode works as expected.  I can't explain this.

The other problem with library mode (for video at least) is that it is limited to TV Shows, Movies, and Music Videos.  What about Documentaries, Sports, Concert Videos, and Stand Up Comedy?  All of these things I have to browse for manually through the 'files' view.

So if you want to keep it as simple as possible for friends and family, I would recommend NOT using library mode, and just keeping your files well organized on your server (appropriate names, etc.).  You'll miss out on some of the nicer features of XBMC, but you won't have the issues I've described above.

Also, I'm still using Camelot, so perhaps an upgrade of XBMC will fix these issues.  I do plan on upgrading soon, so if that works out I'll let you know.

I am new to all of this.....spent a lot of time researching for a new tv....those forums lead me to XBMC and that forum lead me here

I am still in the process of getting the parts together for my unraid server and just in the last week ordered and refurb acer revo 1600 to run XBMC

I decided against loading XBMC on top of windows and went with xbmcfreakbeta3 which is built from the live dahrma beta3 build so it loads ubuntu I believe (remember im new...lol) as the underlying os

I dont think I have even seen linux.....let alone done anything with it

but in the last few days i was able to burn the iso to a flash frive....load it without any issues....load diff skins in and decide on one i liked....figured out what stuff i want on the home screen and more importantly hide things that would just cause confusion to the rest of the family.....load a lot of apps for different network channels and music channels and sites (cbs-youtube-hulu-pandora...etc)

and today I even was able to get firefox loaded and working to open and function and exit back to XBMC smoothly

I still want to add emulators and roms for the kids but havent got that far yet

at this point I really dont know what none would want to do with a htpc that cant be done (im sure theres something ut havent ran across it in my needs yet) and im truely upset I did not find this stuff sooner

and of course NOTHING else out there present your media to you as good as XBMC does

Best thing to do is decide what you really want out of it and do some research on the forums as its almost guaranteed that whatever questions you have would have been asked before.....along with having a forum filled with people willing to help....just like around here!!!

I haven't researched it yet, but what about all of these new TVs coming out that are DLNA certified, let you install Web apps, have Google TV built-in, etc?  I tried a first-generation HP MediaSmart TV and it was horrible, but I think this new generation is much better.  Has anyone tried installing Twonky or something to stream directly to your TV without another machine in the path?

I currently have a couple of machines running Windows 7 Media Center and that works pretty well, but I'd like to get away from Windows.  It's also a bit of a pain to watch TV episodes online because the "Internet TV" options inside of Media Center are pathetic, so you have to either go directly to the TV network websites via Web browser or use Hulu or Boxy, so break out the keyboard.  There may be third-party applications that you can install to work around this somewhat, but I haven't looked into it.

I'm playing with an XBMC box, but made the mistake of purchasing untested hardware to install it on and haven't worked through all of the issues yet, but the interface looks promising and it is widely used.  The wife really doesn't care for the Windows Media Center setup because of its inability to easily stream online content, but I think she will like XBMC if I can ever get this box working right.  Of course, I could also resolve 90% of her issues with Media Center if I just recorded or downloaded the content she wants to watch onto unRAID instead of trying to stream it live, but that's a less than ideal workaround for a significant (but understandable) deficiency.  I have not tried streaming online content in XBMC yet, so I don't know if it's any better.

My number one priority is format/container support and the ability to play BD menus.

That means PCH C-200 or Dune or a Windows PC, right? XBMC won't do BD menus will it?

I went with the C-200. Initial firmware was not good, but latest release is excellent and plays virtually everything (I have 500 Blu-ray rips on my unRAID servers).

It's pretty fast doing BD-J (important for BD menus and BD Live). It won't do PIP audio though -- that's one thing missing, although there is a suggestion that the latest Beta that came out 2 days ago may have fixed this. I will test over the weekend.

If you have more than very basic Bluray requirements then look only at commercial products, like PCH or perhaps a proper Boxee box.

My tastes run very much to XBMC as it is true GPL, very actively developed and completely cross platform meaning i can expand/mix to any level i wish.

However any GPL/Linux option will mostly suck at BR since BR was specifically designed to be as commercial as possible.

Personally I would strongly recommend XBMC however this would require you to rip your collection to mkv or live with less BR iso functionality in the short to medium term. However what you lose in this feature you gain in using the most feature rich and devloped media center there is.

I use WMC with My Movies and TMT.  I only use me HTPC for movies, music and weather.  I thought about using XMBC but not sure if it can play Blu Rays ripped into folder structure using TMT.  Does anyone know if it can do that as well as bitstream HD audio without having to install additional codecs etc?  I like to keep my system nice and lean without having to install tons of additional stuff just to watch some movies or play some music.

Woah...I just assumed that because it was "windows" that XBMC could handle ISO/BDMV structure.  Sounds like I should do a bit more research beforehand!  :D

I don't necessarily need menus etc but am well into the process of ripping my sizeable BD collection to ISO.  Would prefer not having to take another step to MKV but bonus would be space savings....and now you can see my waffling.  ;D

The other problem with library mode (for video at least) is that it is limited to TV Shows, Movies, and Music Videos.  What about Documentaries, Sports, Concert Videos, and Stand Up Comedy?  All of these things I have to browse for manually through the 'files' view.

That is one area where Plex rocks:

Plex also by far does the best job with streaming media (aka Hulu, Netflix, etc.). It literally makes Boxee seem like a joke. The only reason I don't use it anymore is I like 8 channel PCM (aka HD audio) but I don't want to spring for a new Mac Mini that can do that. But seriously for a lot of people nothing beats Plex. Too bad its locked into OSX (but that is probably why it is so darn easy to use)....

Actually, Yes you can.  Right inside XBMC, no third party needed.

1) First thing you do is try and scrape that one show/movie/whatever.

2) When the list of possibilities comes up just pick one (doesn't really matter what you pick).

3) Now go to library mode and find that listing and right click (c on keyboard) and select remove from library.

4) then go back to file mode and find that listing and right click (c on keyboard) and select Manually add to library.

6) From there you get to title it and pick a Genre.

7) You can go into the file mode and movie info to add a cover art

you can do some manual entering by database or xml to put more info on it.

That is how you do it, seems like a lot, but after the first time or two, it is really simple.

XBMC as it's interface blows everything else out of the water, IMO.

The other problem with library mode (for video at least) is that it is limited to TV Shows, Movies, and Music Videos.  What about Documentaries, Sports, Concert Videos, and Stand Up Comedy?  All of these things I have to browse for manually through the 'files' view.

Research smart playlists. They are a very powerful tool in sorting and displaying your library.

I'm sort of new to the whole media player/htpc concept.  I used WMC7 for a little bit and found it to be very appliance-like (if you consider a porta-potty an appliance).  The interface absolutely stinks and the playback quality is terrible.  Unfortunately I still use it as a PVR but that's antother story.  I switched to XBMC and was amazed at the improvement in playback quality as well as the overall flexibility.  Plus the amount of support available in the forums over there is amazing as well.  Now I'm planning my build for a standalone htpc using XBMC.

Actually, Yes you can.  Right inside XBMC, no third party needed.

1) First thing you do is try and scrape that one show/movie/whatever.

2) When the list of possibilities comes up just pick one (doesn't really matter what you pick).

3) Now go to library mode and find that listing and right click (c on keyboard) and select remove from library.

4) then go back to file mode and find that listing and right click (c on keyboard) and select Manually add to library.

6) From there you get to title it and pick a Genre.

7) You can go into the file mode and movie info to add a cover art

you can do some manual entering by database or xml to put more info on it.

That is how you do it, seems like a lot, but after the first time or two, it is really simple.

The Night skin allows for custom home menu options:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Comparison_of_skin_features

I've been using YAMJ since the beginings and since I have it pretty well figured out,  I've just stuck with it.  I've also had PCH's since the A100 and in fact still have my 1st A100 and 2 A110's in addition... all of it happy and playing nice with my YAMJ setup.

I use XBMC on several 1st-gen 8GB XBOX's and will likely lean towards XBMC as an overall solution if I ever move away from YAJM on my appliance HD Streamers (PCH's).

I use a Zotac ZBox HD-ID11, running XBMCLive CD installed on a 5400rpm 250gb HD.

It runs 1080p MKVs, Blueray ISOs etc flawlessly. I updated the Zbox BIOS and there is absolutely zero fan noise.

I connect this to a 8TB (4 x 2TB, 1 x 2TB parity) Unraid fileserver. Tower box is running sabnzbd and sickbeard.

Worth every penny.

XBMC FTMFW...

my sig over on xbmc.org

HTPC: Silverstone Grandia GD05B | Antec Earthwatts EA 380D Green PSU 380w | Zotac Ionitx-LE |

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 | Monster AVL300-S RF Remote Control | MCE IR Receiver

Software:Xbmcfreak Beta3 | Sabnzbd | SickBeard | CouchPotato | XBMC REMOTE

Paired with unRaid sever this is unstoppable  automated HD MEDIA machine.

-=Jason=-

I use WMC7 with MediaBrowser in one location and XBMC in the other.  Once XBMC gets better at handling BR rips in library mode I might consider using it in both locations.  I haven't played much with the custom menu options in the "Night" theme yet.  But I'm sure I will since that's one of the things I like about MB is being able to create whatever root menu structure I want.  I think MB is also a more remote control friendly out of the box, but it's another area I haven't looked at in depth on XBMC.