• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Kjetil said:

Should I start the array now ?

The main thing you want to avoid is formatting any other disk. After you start the array it should show you that all of your array disks are mounted and only the cache disk is available for formatting. I don't expect any problem here since your other disks have been fine so far but just being cautious

Go ahead and Start then post another screenshot that also shows your Array Devices if you can.

OK, that is all as it should be, appdata and system shares are all on cache where they belong. Mouse-over warning triangles to get a popup explanation. Since you currently have no redundancy for cache that is the way those will be. It is not necessarily a bad thing as I explained.

And you have plenty of room on cache. I like to set appdata and system to cache-only so I know they will never overflow to the array.

And, I prefer to just use the default high-water allocation for all of my shares. It is a good compromise, spreading your files out without constantly switching disks just because one temporarily has more free than another. I don't bother with split level since high-water will usually keep things together anyway, and the only consequence of splitting things is a possible delay while another disk spins up.

The most important share setting that controls which disk Unraid will choose is Minimum Free. If a disk has less than minimum, Unraid will choose another disk. It has no way to know how large a file will become, so you should set Minimum Free for each share to larger than the largest file you expect to write to the share. If you allow Unraid to choose a disk that doesn't have space for the file, the write will fail.

Cache also has a Minimum Free setting in Global Share Settings. It works in a similar manner. If cache has less than minimum, Unraid will choose an array disk instead, but that only takes effect for cache-yes or cache-prefer shares.

I'll let you decide which other shares you want to cache. I recommend none until you have things working well again.

So, review each of your share settings, paying particular attention to Minimum Free.

Then we can move on to getting your dockers going again.

"Some or all files unprotected" is the message I get when mouse-over.

@trurl

1)  Should I change appdata and system to "only" (and not "prefered") ?

2) I will get another cache disc later on, then we can look at cache settings again for the other shares

3) Would it be a good idea to set up new shares, then copy data from the old shares onto new shares ? And in this way get the setup correct and files cleaned up (and not spread on several discs) ?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Which plex docker were you using?

How do I see this info ?

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 16.19.13.png

25 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

1)  Should I change appdata and system to "only" (and not "prefered") ?

That's how I like it since it keeps those from ever overflowing to the array. On the other hand, it prevents them from overflowing to the array so if you ever filled cache you would get a write failure.

27 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

3) Would it be a good idea to set up new shares, then copy data from the old shares onto new shares ? And in this way get the setup correct and files cleaned up (and not spread on several discs) ?

I see no advantage to doing that. It would just take time and possibly present an opportunity for mistakes. There is nothing wrong with having the files spread over disks. Everything should work fine as it is as long as appdata, system, (and domains if you ever do VMs) stays on cache.

Probably the simplest way to see which plex you were using, and to check how you had it setup, is to just go ahead and enable Docker, then use the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page, launch the Add Container page for plex, then post a screenshot of that page before submitting it.

35 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

2) I will get another cache disc later on, then we can look at cache settings again for the other shares

That is fine as long as you don't write more to your shares until you take a look at those settings.

The default setting for the cache pool gives you redundancy, which will make those yellow triangles go away, but it won't give you any additional capacity. You want to make sure you don't fill cache or you could corrupt things. So maybe best if you don't cache any of the other shares until you see how things are going, consider whether and what you want to cache, and make sure you have Minimum Free for cache set appropriately.

I refer you back to this post I made earlier in the thread for more about how I use cache:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/86077-unraid-problems/?do=findComment&comment=799406

3 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

1: Changing system and appdata to "only"

2: I can not find any app page, where do I go to find this ?

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 17.09.20.png

20 minutes ago, trurl said:

launch the Add Container page for plex, then post a screenshot of that page before submitting it.

I really wanted to see the Add Container page before you actually submitted it and added the container.

So did you reinstall Plex by selecting the "my-PlexMediaServer" template on the Add Container page?

Post your plex docker run command as explained in the very first link in the Docker FAQ:

https://forums.unraid.net/forums/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/

Since you don't have any plugins you won't have an Apps page. The very first thing you should install is the Community Applications plugin. It will give you the Apps page I was talking about and will make it easier to install other plugins and dockers.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/38582-plug-in-community-applications/

7 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

What happens if the cache is corrupted ? Will I loose my files on the server ?

Each disk in the parity array is independent. It is nearly impossible to loose ALL of your files, since any array disk can be read by itself on any linux.

You could lose any files on cache if you corrupt it. The docker image in the system share is easily recreated. There is a plugin to backup your appdata, which you can get from the Apps page.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Each disk in the parity array is independent. It is nearly impossible to loose ALL of your files

Unraid is NOT RAID. This is the thing that makes Unraid different than RAID. Each disk is an independent filesystem. Each file is stored completely on a single disk. Folders can span disks, but files cannot. The top level folders on cache and array ARE the user shares and any top level folder with the same name is the same user share, spanning disks.

The fact that each disk is independent makes it possible to use different sized disks in the array, and makes it possible to easily replace or add disks without rebuilding the entire array.

The way you have those volume mappings are OK, and simple to understand if you don't really understand volume mappings. If you eventually add other dockers you will need to understand volume mappings though.

So, does that plex docker work? I suspect not, since the appdata won't have changed any and it probably contains a corrupt plex database.