Any AVR experts I need some advice.

Bags

I am replacing my Yamaha RX461 avr receiver, There is nothing wrong with it but it does not have HDMI plugs on it and I am getting tired of the video switching and would like to get the HD audio formats. I am going round and round with what budget receiver to get. BB has this pioneer VSX-1020-K on sale for 379.00 from 550.00. I am also looking at the Denon Avr 791 at 499.00 not on sale. I have a weird shaped family room and right now I have some of those bose acustomass speakers which I am going to be replacing next with probably Yamaha or Boston acustic in wall speakers 5 1/4. I have a self powered sub. So this will be 5.1 sound but will probably not be going to 7.1 anytime but i do have some outdoor speakers. I mostly watch tv and movies and sometimes play music. The Denon is THX certified the Pioneer is not. Anyone have any advice. It seems like the Pioneer is a good deal at 170.00 off and 120 less than the Denon. I want to get the most for my money but I don't want to be sorry later.

After I posted this I saw the Onkyo and started reading about it. Sounds good just like everything else, then started to read some reviews on it and a few have reported the hdmi board has gone out. Must happen frequently because one guy said it took several weeks just to get the part in. Then again as with any electronics its a crap shoot. Thanks for your replies.

Well, these days I think most units are good. I personally have a Denon AVR-1611 that I am happy with. I am running in 5:1 mode, but it can do 7:1. I plan on running like this for a long time. There is an awful lot of sound coming out of it right now, and can find no reason to install more speakers.

That being said, one feature I would look for in an AVR is the Audyssey MultEQ and Auto Setup. I have found this to be awesome. I do not have the best speakers on the market, in fact it is a collection of matched pairs I had lying around, plus a sub-woofer. All consumer grade, some of them 35 years old. However, using the Audyssey Auto setup makes this mis-matched set of misfits sound better than a concert hall! The quality of the sound, using the Auto Tuning to adjust the speaker levels relative to each other, is more than I could ever do by hand.

That would be my best recommendation. Get something with the Audyssey MultEQ and Auto Setup.

Bruce

The Audyssey MultEQ and Auto Setup produces a really nice sound on the various Onkyo systems I've setup from lower-end 5.1 to the middle-range 7.1. The one I've been using for the past year is now an older model the TX-NR807, but it suites my current and immediate future purposes and it was on sale when I picked it up.

Onkyo are great. I think all have Audyssey. Mine does, and it's a mid-range model. Mine is a couple of years old, and overheated when put low in my rack, but the solution was to put it on the top of the rack -- I read recently that you should always do that anyway. Modern amps put out a lot of heat.

There were reports of the HDMI board dying on my model, but it's fine. Don't let it overheat and it should be OK, I guess.

Ugh why did you guys have to bring this up.  :)

All this talk has made me interested in replacing my 10 year old non-es but medium grade receiver...

(That is past it's life cycle due to a number of reasons)

Unfortunately the highest end Audyssey functions are only on very high end 9.2 receivers...  So I will have to wait a while...  I don't feel like paying $1200 right now.  :)

I throw my hat in the ring for Denon.  They aren't exactly cheap, but they are beasts of a receiver.  My previous receiver was an Onkyo of similar price level, but I absolutely prefer the Denon.

I have the last gen model, AVR-2310ci, and it handles all my HDMI content with ease.  The upconversion chip is pretty awesome for SD content, though I must admit I don't watch a whole lot of SD media, and my TV does a fine job with the upconversion as well.  The Audyssey automatic speaker setup is crazy!  Deals are to be had online for sure.

Regardless on what model you decide on, go and check out avsforum.com before you buy.  That is a great resource, but will also take up hours of our life reading through your options :)

Good luck!

I pulled the trigger on the Onkyo tx-sr608. At 400 out the door I couldn't beat it. Only time will tell how long it lasts. Thanks for all the input. Now I have to start research on in wall speakers.

That is a great receiver. I bought it on release date.  No issues with it whatsoever.

Archived