Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

5 minutes ago, DiscoverIt said:

Call me curious, I don't follow what you mean with local host confusing UD?

Settings->Management Access:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 133250.png

6 minutes ago, DiscoverIt said:

If I enter in 10.253.0.2 and it outputs into samba_mount.cfg without periods what portion of my system would cause the lack of periods in an IP?

Understood, but I can't reproduce it yet.  It's something unique to your system confusing UD.  I'm working on trying to find how that happens.  You can help me get there by supplying your diagnostics.

12 minutes ago, DiscoverIt said:

If I enter in 10.253.0.2 and it outputs into samba_mount.cfg without periods what portion of my system would cause the lack of periods in an IP?

Using your IP address this is what I get:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 134020.png

I thought maybe the IP address check was stumbling on your IP address, but I don't see that happening.  I'll look through the diagnostics now.

1 minute ago, DiscoverIt said:

Probably related to (new MiscUD)->is_ip($server)) determining what is an IP and what is a hostname?

image.png.50232626e4a9f733489de9fd0fbe7cd7.png

No.  You have a blank Local_TLD which is valid, but UD did not handle it properly.  A blank Local_TLP should default to 'local'.  Releasing an update now.

On 11/21/2023 at 6:32 PM, dlandon said:

No.  What happens if you wait a while to browse for the new files?  It might be a refresh issue some where.

It does not seem to matter if I wait. I can wait one week and the files are not showing.

I write to the disk from a VM in Unraid (Ubuntu), and the disk is made available to the VM using VirtIO setting in VM setup and  /dev/sdb as location (Manual). In the VM itself, I map the disk as exfat file system:

sudo mount -t exfat -o umask=0000,gid=1000,uid=1000 /dev/vdb1 /media/share/intbackup/

Everything works fine from within the VM. I can write to the disk and see the files OK. But when browsing from dashboard I cannot see the files that were written by the VM since I mounted it in Unraid dashboard.

Edited by ziggy99
1 hour ago, ziggy99 said:

It does not seem to matter if I wait. I can wait one week and the files are not showing.

I write to the disk from a VM in Unraid (Ubuntu), and the disk is made available to the VM using VirtIO setting in VM setup and  /dev/sdb as location (Manual). In the VM itself, I map the disk as exfat file system:

sudo mount -t exfat -o umask=0000,gid=1000,uid=1000 /dev/vdb1 /media/share/intbackup/

Everything works fine from within the VM. I can write to the disk and see the files OK. But when browsing from dashboard I cannot see the files that were written by the VM since I mounted it in Unraid dashboard.

You can't mount the disk in two places.  Don't nount it in UD if the VM has it mounted.

Unassigned device not showing up in network SMB (windows 11)

It's not the new update, first off.  Because I was having this problem and saw the new update and decided to install it, and it did not change anything.

I have an external drive in the array, and I can see it just fine in Krusader, but it will not show up in my shares.  I have tried accessing it via NETOWORK, and via the mapped hard drive and the root share I have setup (which shows everything.

Originaly I had it setup to require a username/password like all my other shares, but I had it set to PUBLIC right now, because I just want it to show up.    

This feature used to work. I used it all the time (its for backup purposes) 

I've tied YES and NO for "specify the SMB version, thinking that may be the problem.
image.thumb.png.a105247f022ca60ebe0a81c144eac171.png

Anyone had any ideas?  I've been at it for an hour now so I figured I should break down and ask.

Many thanks.

13 minutes ago, PoppaJohn said:

Unassigned device not showing up in network SMB (windows 11)

It's not the new update, first off.  Because I was having this problem and saw the new update and decided to install it, and it did not change anything.

I have an external drive in the array, and I can see it just fine in Krusader, but it will not show up in my shares.  I have tried accessing it via NETOWORK, and via the mapped hard drive and the root share I have setup (which shows everything.

Originaly I had it setup to require a username/password like all my other shares, but I had it set to PUBLIC right now, because I just want it to show up.    

This feature used to work. I used it all the time (its for backup purposes) 

I've tied YES and NO for "specify the SMB version, thinking that may be the problem.
image.thumb.png.a105247f022ca60ebe0a81c144eac171.png

Anyone had any ideas?  I've been at it for an hour now so I figured I should break down and ask.

Many thanks.

Go to Settings->Unassigned Devices->SMB Settings and set the SMB Sharing you want for your UD devices.  It used to default 'Public' but because of security it now defaults 'Disabled'.

7 hours ago, dlandon said:

You can't mount the disk in two places.  Don't nount it in UD if the VM has it mounted.

I guess "can't" is a strong word here - since I am doing it. It is very practical to browse it in Unraid Dashboard to see that the backup is running fine. Do I risk anything by doing it - except of course the need to remount it to see new files...

4 hours ago, ziggy99 said:

Do I risk anything by doing it

Filesystem corruption / lost files, yes. One side has no idea of what the other does, say you unmount on unraid side, it may rewrite the state it currently knows of to the disk, and completely overwrite/undo what the VM did.

Never mount a filesystem twice.

Need to be a share if you want it available on both sides.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 2

I cant mount my synology shares. Keep getting 

Dec  1 17:49:25 Tower kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\IP Send error in SessSetup = -13 
Dec  1 17:49:25 Tower kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13 
Dec  1 17:49:25 Tower unassigned.devices: Remote Share '//IP/volume1/backup/unraid' failed to mount.

google means its due to missing cifs-utils.

But I cant install stuff using apt, so how can I fix this?

Thaks for help

Hello. Recently started to migrate from Windows to Unraid but I'm having an issue trying to remote mount some Windows folders for transferring data. I believe I have the network set up properly on my Windows machine based on searching but I keep getting this authentication error when attempting to mount. 

Dec  1 06:30:57 DeepThought unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '//GAMING/D'...
Dec  1 06:30:57 DeepThought unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//GAMING/D$' using SMB default protocol.
Dec  1 06:30:57 DeepThought unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,relatime,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_GAMING_D$' '//GAMING/D$' '/mnt/remotes/GAMING_D$'
Dec  1 06:30:58 DeepThought kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount \\GAMING\D$
Dec  1 06:30:58 DeepThought kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Dec  1 06:30:58 DeepThought unassigned.devices: Remote Share '//GAMING/D$' failed to mount.

I've tried with user/password and without, both return the same result. The same thing happens if I try using the direct folders nested in the drive. Not sure if it makes a difference but my desktop I'm using to transfer is running Windows 11 and everything I've read has been in reference to Windows 10.

deepthought-diagnostics-20231201-1440.zip

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

You typically never want to use the default shares (with the $), but create your own and give permissions to the desired users.

I tried doing that at first too with just the folders directly and it was giving me the same auth error. 

Currently I'm just using file explorer to drag and drop since I can't seem to figure what the issue is.

Edited by Bluest Light
more info.