Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

It doesn't matter which USB port I plug either drive into, they both present with the same device ID. Even if I change the mount point this won't work.

So drive one's mount point is Video and the other drive is Space. If I plug in the first drive, it will mount as Video but if I then plug in the second drive whilst the first is also plugged in, Video disappears and Space takes it's place. 

They are vastly different drives too! One is a 500GB Toshiba I lifted out of on an old mac book and the other a 1GB Hitachi. It's really bizarre.

21 minutes ago, Phredwerd said:

It doesn't matter which USB port I plug either drive into, they both present with the same device ID. Even if I change the mount point this won't work.

So drive one's mount point is Video and the other drive is Space. If I plug in the first drive, it will mount as Video but if I then plug in the second drive whilst the first is also plugged in, Video disappears and Space takes it's place. 

They are vastly different drives too! One is a 500GB Toshiba I lifted out of on an old mac book and the other a 1GB Hitachi. It's really bizarre.

Post diagnostics.

14 hours ago, Phredwerd said:

Just means it's the USB adapter you're using that doesn't pass the drive's ID as it should but its own. What interface is it? I have one of those dual docks that will also pass its own ID, and the same for both drives.

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Just means it's the USB adapter you're using that doesn't pass the drive's ID as it should but its own. What interface is it? I have one of those dual docks that will also pass its own ID, and the same for both drives.

Yeeahh I was thinking this may have been the culprit. Both drives involved in this issue are encased in an Orico brand hard drive enclosure. 

This one in particular:

https://www.orico.com.cn/product/detail/397.html

6 hours ago, unr41dus3r said:

Hi,

i wanted to ask about an ETA for the new release? It would be really nice if i dont need to use the command every time per CLI.

Thanks

I am working on some zfs issues for 6.13 and want to finish those up first.  The latest release of zfs has caused me to have to make some changes.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2023 at 3:37 AM, Kilrah said:

Is there anyway to change how the USB adaptor in this device presents the ID? That's really annoying that it does that.

4 hours ago, christophesimon said:

Here it is

Click on the double arrow icon in the upper right of the UD page and see if the disks show.  This will refresh udev.

I don't see the issue with the remote shares mount points.

I may have more ideas after I look at the diagnostics further.

Edit: Your Kingston cache disk is not being seen by Linux.  The only disks Unraid is seeing are your array disks.  Reboot your server and verify the disk is seen in the BIOS.

10 minutes ago, comet424 said:

what does it mean with this   non mount  i get this on my sisters  unraid box and i seeen she getting some messed up warnings i not sure whats going on with her box  

and with the UD

That means the file system type being reported by udev is not what is reported by Linux.  The disk is being reported by udev as a 'ntfs' formatted disk that is correct because the disk is mounted as a 'ntfs' disk.  Click on the double arrows icon at the upper right of the UD page and see if it doesn't fix it.

You also have a lot of out of memory issues being logged:

Nov  8 13:32:29 mitchsserver nginx: 2023/11/08 13:32:29 [crit] 23367#23367: ngx_slab_alloc() failed: no memory
Nov  8 13:32:29 mitchsserver nginx: 2023/11/08 13:32:29 [error] 23367#23367: shpool alloc failed
Nov  8 13:32:29 mitchsserver nginx: 2023/11/08 13:32:29 [error] 23367#23367: nchan: Out of shared memory while allocating message of size 14428. Increase nchan_max_reserved_memory.
Nov  8 13:32:29 mitchsserver nginx: 2023/11/08 13:32:29 [error] 23367#23367: *1358607 nchan: error publishing message (HTTP status code 500), client: unix:, server: , request: "POST /pub/disks?buffer_length=1 HTTP/1.1", host: "localhost"
Nov  8 13:32:29 mitchsserver nginx: 2023/11/08 13:32:29 [error] 23367#23367: MEMSTORE:01: can't create shared message for channel /disks

If you leave an Unraid session open on a computer, close it down.

ill have to do it next time my sister does it...  i rebooted her system and she pulled out her ssd...      ya i leave her Unraid open on my Desktop  so i have on my desktop i have a window  of my unraid  her unraid my backup unraid always running... is  that causing hers running out of memory?  is that what it said?

16 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ill have to do it next time my sister does it...  i rebooted her system and she pulled out her ssd...      ya i leave her Unraid open on my Desktop  so i have on my desktop i have a window  of my unraid  her unraid my backup unraid always running... is  that causing hers running out of memory?  is that what it said?

Yes.  The nchan messaging process that triggers a UI refresh is stacking up messages because the consumer process has stopped responding and eventually runs out of memory for more messages.  This happens when the GUI is left open but stops responding to the nchan message requests.  For now it's best to only open the GUI when needed and then close it when it's no longer needed.

17 hours ago, dlandon said:

Is it shown in the disk devices in the BIOS?  You'll have to find out why Linux is not seeing the disk.

Oh that's way out of my league ;-) I don't know how to do this therefore I think my cache SSD is now gone for good. Too bad since I thought that Unraid was a stable OS and now I am facing a massive fail.  It all just started from a plex update that escaladated. 

2 hours ago, christophesimon said:

Oh that's way out of my league ;-) I don't know how to do this therefore I think my cache SSD is now gone for good. Too bad since I thought that Unraid was a stable OS and now I am facing a massive fail.  It all just started from a plex update that escaladated. 

The BIOS is what starts your server.  You enter the BIOS to adjust settings for the server as it starts up, but you can also see disk devices recognized by the BIOS.

If that is not something you want to do, power down your server, check cables and make sure one hasn't come loose.  If you don't find a problem there, then you're probably looking at a failed disk.

As @Kilrah said, Unraid has nothing to do with a drive not being recognized by Linux - i.e. a hardwre failures.

Is there a CLI for using unassigned devices?  Or CLI commands to mount shares in Unraid?  I tried the normal Linux methods to mount and had no success.

Some background, im using NFS to mount another remote(local) unraid share and it works, but after a few hours the share disconnects.  Unassigned devices thinks its still mounted but its not.  So I need to manually go in and click unmount and then mount again.  I was hoping to automate this with a script.

1 minute ago, sittingmongoose said:

Is there a CLI for using unassigned devices?  Or CLI commands to mount shares in Unraid?  I tried the normal Linux methods to mount and had no success.

Some background, im using NFS to mount another remote(local) unraid share and it works, but after a few hours the share disconnects.  Unassigned devices thinks its still mounted but its not.  So I need to manually go in and click unmount and then mount again.  I was hoping to automate this with a script.

The issue is most likely a networking problem.  You should really work on solving any network issues.  That being said, yes there is a CLI for mounting and unmounting UD devices.  Click on the Help icon in the upper right hand corner of the GUI and you will see how to use the CLI.

The problem you will have is unmounting and re-mounting the remote share if files are being read or written when your script hammers the share by unmounting it at the wrong time.

I don't know your use case, but maybe you can set up a User Script to run on a cron to mount the remote share, do the work, and then un-mount the remote share.