Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Having a hard time searching for this. most likely because im new to scripting things and dont know exactly what im searching for. 

I have an nfs share (mapped with UD). That external device is turned on via a WOL script in my user script that manages backups via rsync.

etherwake [mac-address-here] && echo "NAS not turned on. WOL sent to NAS"

After all backups have completed and some time has passed, the BackupNAS is turned off at a specific date/time from the webgui (synology)

UD thinks its still connected and i constantly get these warning messages. And while they arent neccessarily harmful, they fill up the log and i dont see any real warnings or messages. 

Dec 12 08:49:28 Tower kernel: nfs: server BackupNAS not responding, timed out

TLDR: What kind of user script or command line can i run to mount the drive when the script is initated? And what script can i run to unmount it (im assuming another userscript / cron job for this one)?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

4 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Go to the UD page, click on the help icon in the upper right of the page, and read down the page.  You'll see the commands to mount and unmount a remote share.

Ive never thought to click that help button on that page. So much useful data!  Thank you very much

On 12/8/2023 at 4:48 PM, dlandon said:

The error code -512 suggests a potential authentication or permission issue during the session setup process. You may want to check the credentials, network connectivity, and permissions for accessing these network locations.

Update: For me the issue was related to me had uninstalled C2 Identity Edge server  and obiviously missed something, becasuse as soon as i reinstalled it, i had no issues with SMB or anything like that.

So I have been having an issue for over a year with my NFS mounts not staying mounted.  SMB is fine.  I tried working through it with you @dlandon A while back but we couldn't figure it out.  I am mounting to another unraid box on the local lan and have replaced pretty much all the hardware.  The issue is after a few hours, the mount seems to stop working but the plugin says its mounted and the apps will continue to access it.  But if I reboot the docker or say krusader tries to access it, it says the mount is not there.  So I have to unmount and remount.

My friend took a look at it and mounted it via fstab.  Can you explain why this works but your way doesn't?  Or why you don't do it this way?  This way seems to work for me, I just wanted to make sure you didn't do it this way on purpose because it breaks things or something.

16 hours ago, sittingmongoose said:

My friend took a look at it and mounted it via fstab.  Can you explain why this works but your way doesn't?  Or why you don't do it this way?  This way seems to work for me, I just wanted to make sure you didn't do it this way on purpose because it breaks things or something.

Fstab is intended for a permanent mount and that's not necessarily how UD works.  The difference is most olikely in the optios being used.  Please post your fstab entry so i can see the mount options.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

Fstab is intended for a permanent mount and that's not necessarily how UD works.  The difference is most olikely in the optios being used.  Please post your fstab entry so i can see the mount options.

/mnt/remotes                   tmpfs                  tmpfs     rw,relatime,size=1024k,inode64
│ │ ├─/mnt/remotes/NAS1_Media2     NAS1:/mnt/user/Media2  nfs4      rw,noatime,vers=4.2,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,soft,proto=tcp,time

I am using NAS1:/mnt/user/Media2 /mnt/remotes/NAS1_Media2 nfs auto 0 0

36 minutes ago, sittingmongoose said:
/mnt/remotes                   tmpfs                  tmpfs     rw,relatime,size=1024k,inode64
│ │ ├─/mnt/remotes/NAS1_Media2     NAS1:/mnt/user/Media2  nfs4      rw,noatime,vers=4.2,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,soft,proto=tcp,time

I am using NAS1:/mnt/user/Media2 /mnt/remotes/NAS1_Media2 nfs auto 0 0

I would try UD again.  The latest version of Unraid and UD will mount remote NFS shares with NFS vers 4.2.  This might make a difference in your case.

16 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I would try UD again.  The latest version of Unraid and UD will mount remote NFS shares with NFS vers 4.2.  This might make a difference in your case.

Unfortunately I am fully updated on the plugin and Unraid version and undid the setup and redid it.  It still doesn’t stay connected for long. Fstab does seem to work though.

Good Evening, 

I'm trying to mount and migrate existing data on a drive (Lets call it 16TB Western Digital) to my newly created Unraid tower and Array, and I'm looking for advice. I hope this is the correct place to post because I believe my issue is with Unassigned Devices not able to mount the drive. 

The Dev 1 in this screenshot is the drive in question. I expect it to give the option to Mount, but you can see that option isn't available. 

image.thumb.png.3aeae0f37356a255f6154aff86e1cebf.png

It is using ext4 file system because I was previously using it in Ubuntu. I still have the boot drive for Ubuntu (it is actually the Dev2 shown) and when i boot back into that OS (which is the same computer, I just change the boot order in mobo bios) the drive mounts fine in ubuntu. Here is the screenshot of Gnome Disks in ubuntu showing it's Ext41822598180_Screenshotfrom2023-12-1618-45-37.png.eb48e7da726e51922fbf403951f44321.png

Which I click on "Disk Log Information" these are the logs. 

image.thumb.png.89ad401364ade1bdeb401e706228f069.png

I would guess it's something to do with that "'Terminated' Signal received." 

Attached is Unraid Diagnostic logs, and i've tried to review them myself but I can't seem to figure out why it won't mount. 

fractalnode-804-diagnostics-20231216-1850.zip

Edited by foxythefoxer
12 hours ago, foxythefoxer said:

Attached is Unraid Diagnostic logs, and i've tried to review them myself but I can't seem to figure out why it won't mount. 

That disk has an 'ext4' file system, but is not partitioned.  UD marks the 'Mount' button as 'Pool' becaue UD thinks the disk was part of a pool in another system.  UD can't mount a disk without a partition.

Your best bet is to install it in the original computer (or another computer) that can mount the disk and then mount it with UD as a remote share.  Then you can copy the files and folders using the File Manager.

2 hours ago, cpthook said:

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

You have several issues:

Dec  5 19:10:07 Tower kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\TOWERII\backupshare BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\TOWERII\backupshare
Dec  5 19:10:07 Tower kernel: CIFS: VFS: reconnect tcon failed rc = -2

The error indicates the system failed to reconnect to this network location.

Possible reasons for this could include network connectivity issues, authentication problems, or the target network share not being available. To troubleshoot, you may want to check the network connection, verify the correctness of the network path, and ensure proper authentication credentials.

Dec  8 03:26:48 Tower kernel: traps: lsof[13186] general protection fault ip:1531bdf4ec6e sp:d88986c3f8c0c9fb error:0 in libc-2.37.so[1531bdf36000+169000]

UD never does a 'lsof' command so another plugin is most likely causing this error.  The best way to find it is to boot in safe mode and add one plugin back at a time to see which one is causing this issue.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, dlandon said:

What check is that?

The one that causes disks without a partition to show as "POOL" and UD disabling all operations.

You mentioned here 

On 8/8/2023 at 1:51 PM, dlandon said:

Until I can come up with a way to allow the clearing of a disk in this state that guards against a user accidentally losing data, this is the way it will stay.

I understand the desire to protect users who pass through disks to VMs from data loss, but some of us don't use these features, have no need for that but instead regularly use removable disks that are now flagged as "POOL" and can't be interacted with in UD anymore when they could before.

So while I agree the default should be as it is now there should be an option similar to "destructive mode" that disables UD from preventing interaction with drives it thinks you shouldn't touch.

Edited by Kilrah
23 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I understand the desire to protect users who pass through disks to VMs from data loss, but some of us don't use these features, have no need for that but instead regularly use removable disks that are now flagged as "POOL" and can't be interacted with in UD anymore when they could before.

Interact in what way?  UD doesn't mount disks without a partition.  About the only thing that could be done is to clear the disk when destructive mode is enabled.

I tried to search in this thread and couldn't find anything. Is there some kind of limitation or setting I'm missing on the Root Share that is causing me to not see all of the files in a directory when browsed from the root share? 

See screenshots below, it's the same file path but on one I'm coming through the rootshare and the other I'm browsing directly from the share itself

image.thumb.png.27e63b741b8939aaaa895e72f45313f1.png

I get the same thing through the unraid file browser

image.thumb.png.97c94df78fb4b976f2dc41a41a923eaa.png

image.thumb.png.8bae00557e365b0b4daddab6e0baa73b.png

It seems like a weird caching issue or something since it looks like I can see three directories now but still not all of them.

Is there just some kind of delay in how long it takes for files and directories to show when browsing through the root share?

Below are my settings as well

image.thumb.png.5ad8d2f442d1138b5ab7ade6437e0c01.png

16 hours ago, megaz221 said:

Is there just some kind of delay in how long it takes for files and directories to show when browsing through the root share?

There are two kinds of Root shares:

• User Shares - this will only show files in the shares and not in Pools (including cache).
  • User and Pool Shares - this shows user shares and Pools (including cache).

What you are describing is the User Shares type of Root Shares.  Waht is happening is that any files on the cache being held for a share will not show in the share until the mover runs and places it on the array.  This is because the cache is not included in the shares.

14 minutes ago, dlandon said:

There are two kinds of Root shares:

• User Shares - this will only show files in the shares and not in Pools (including cache).
  • User and Pool Shares - this shows user shares and Pools (including cache).

What you are describing is the User Shares type of Root Shares.  Waht is happening is that any files on the cache being held for a share will not show in the share until the mover runs and places it on the array.  This is because the cache is not included in the shares.

I don't understand. Are you saying that the root share feature of this plugin has a different way of understanding user shares than Unraid itself does? Cache and other pools are always part of user shares in the sense that Unraid means it.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

I don't understand. Are you saying that the root share feature of this plugin has a different way of understanding user shares than Unraid itself does?

No.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Cache and other pools are always part of user shares in the sense that Unraid means it.

Not on the /mnt/user0/ mount poiint which is the "User Shares" choice when adding a Root Share.