Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

4 minutes ago, Joegauthjr said:

Good.  I see that you are using the server name now and not the IP address.

The TRUENAS is responding to a ping because UD lets you click the mount button, but it looks like TRUENAS is not allowing that NFS share to be mounted.  Check your TRUENAS and verify that the share '/mnt/Skywalker/Nikki' is set for NFS sharing.

From what I recall, you started having these issues with a sudden power down of the Unraid and the TRUENAS.  Something probably got messed up from that.

19 hours ago, dlandon said:

Right, now you'll need to format it.

Interesting, this is two disks:

The second one has no filsesystem and neither does the top one. But one has a mount option greyed, and the other doesn't. All I've done is preclears so I wonder what I've done differently to the top one....confusing.

Destructive mode is obv. enabled.

image.thumb.png.9c27aaf64291a5adab45ec44e1122027.png

After formatting second disk:

image.thumb.png.0ebea2c244151d4fd5a25329b6bab4c1.png

So it's like sdi is in a limbo where it doesn't have a filesystem but also I never formatted it and the format button isn't avail.

Edited by RealActorRob
59 minutes ago, RealActorRob said:

Interesting, this is two disks:

The second one has no filsesystem and neither does the top one. But one has a mount option greyed, and the other doesn't. All I've done is preclears so I wonder what I've done differently to the top one....confusing.

Destructive mode is obv. enabled.

image.thumb.png.9c27aaf64291a5adab45ec44e1122027.png

After formatting second disk:

image.thumb.png.0ebea2c244151d4fd5a25329b6bab4c1.png

So it's like sdi is in a limbo where it doesn't have a filesystem but also I never formatted it and the format button isn't avail.

Need to see more of the screen shot.  There isn't enough there to see what is going on.

In general, if there is a partition that does not have a file system, the mount button will show but will be grayed out.  If there is no partition, the format button will show.  I'm not sure exactly when preclear creates the partition, but I think if you stopped it before it was completed, the partition wouldn't be created.

You also have to erase the preclear log before the format button will be active.

I don't understand your comment about sdi being in limbo because I can't see any device designations except for sdi at the top.

Do you have today's release of UD?

On 11/18/2020 at 11:15 PM, dlandon said:

I see this in the log:

Nov 16 13:14:06 unraid-server1 unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Remote Shares...
Nov 16 13:19:36 unraid-server1 unassigned.devices: Cannot 'Auto Mount' Remote Shares.  Network not available!

The startup check for the network to be available before auto mounting remote shares is taking over 5 minutes to determine the network is not available.  There is an issue on the network available script that causes this lengthy time, and because it is in an Unraid startup event, the Unraid GUI will not be available until it completes the network check.  I have a fix applied, but it is not released yet.

When you reboot Unraid, the GUI will eventually come up after the 5 minute delay caused by this issue.

hello, I'm having this issue now on Unraid 6.10.0-rc2 and UD 2022.01.02a.
After 5 Minutes WebUI is accessible.

grafik.png

ryzen7-x5750g-diagnostics-20220102-2332.zip

52 minutes ago, peter76 said:

hello, I'm having this issue now on Unraid 6.10.0-rc2 and UD 2022.01.02a.
After 5 Minutes WebUI is accessible.

grafik.png

ryzen7-x5750g-diagnostics-20220102-2332.zip 56.73 kB · 0 downloads

Set the debug level to none in UD settings.  It does nothing to help with this issue and spams the log with too many log entries.  Only set a debug level when asked for support.

I'm looking at the code and may have an idea why this is happening.

18 hours ago, dlandon said:

Applied a fix that should show SCSI disks in UD with the dynamix.scsi.device plugin installed.  UD now excludes CD and DVD disks, and accepts all other devices.  This was changed from including only sd, hd, and nvme devices.  I have no way to test though, so I don't know if this works.  Feedback would be appreciated.  If you see a device in UD that should not be there, let me know as I may need to exclude it.

will happily test in the coming days 😃  happy others confirmed this issue after I spent so many hours trying to isolate.

From some of the last updates it seems that I have a problem.

I have all my applications in the path of an SSD device, but today when restarting the server a subdisk has been created for this SSD with another name and another path.

The original path is empty and all content is in the new path.

This means neither docker nor the apps that were pointing to the above path are working, is there an easy way to fix it or do I have to change all paths? Thanks so much.

image.thumb.png.1b2f52c73e2bc620d0a0c55bee1575ed.png

3 minutes ago, milfer322 said:

From some of the last updates it seems that I have a problem.

I have all my applications in the path of an SSD device, but today when restarting the server a subdisk has been created for this SSD with another name and another path.

The original path is empty and all content is in the new path.

This means neither docker nor the apps that were pointing to the above path are working, is there an easy way to fix it or do I have to change all paths? Thanks so much.

image.thumb.png.1b2f52c73e2bc620d0a0c55bee1575ed.png

There should only be one mount point.  The 'Samsung...' mount point does not make sense.  That disk mount point is the all numeric mount point.

The best way to handle this is to click on the mountpoint (to the right of the icons) and name it something that makes sense.  Then reboot your server.  You should only see one mountpoint at /mnt/disks/.

If not, then post diagnostics.

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

There should only be one mount point.  The 'Samsung...' mount point does not make sense.  That disk mount point is the all numeric mount point.

The best way to handle this is to click on the mountpoint (to the right of the icons) and name it something that makes sense.  Then reboot your server.  You should only see one mountpoint at /mnt/disks/.

If not, then post diagnostics.

My old path is the Samsung_SSD_860....

Have any problem if I modify the new path to Samsung_SSD_860...?

image.png.df0a1cc16a2e7c00cf57ffe7b15916a9.png

I make that and seems all apps works now.

Thanks so much.

Edited by milfer322
On 1/2/2022 at 3:47 PM, dlandon said:

Need to see more of the screen shot.  There isn't enough there to see what is going on.

In general, if there is a partition that does not have a file system, the mount button will show but will be grayed out.  If there is no partition, the format button will show.  I'm not sure exactly when preclear creates the partition, but I think if you stopped it before it was completed, the partition wouldn't be created.

You also have to erase the preclear log before the format button will be active.

I don't understand your comment about sdi being in limbo because I can't see any device designations except for sdi at the top.

Do you have today's release of UD?

I did 'Fix Preclear' on that tools page, and I'm running another preclear but 99.99% sure it wasn't interrupted last time.

I also cleared all the preclear reports on that drive, but I suppose those are stored in appdata and not on the precleared drive.

Hopefully a complete preclear will fix it, and why not run another one LOL.

41 minutes ago, RealActorRob said:

I also cleared all the preclear reports on that drive, but I suppose those are stored in appdata and not on the precleared drive.

Those are stored on the flash drive in the 'preclear_reports' folder.

If you still have issues, post a screen shot showing all the disk info.

• Like 1

Hi, 

So I have a USB3 external drive formatted as HFS+ that I used on a mac to my Unraid server. All seems ok. Shows up in the list, mounts properly, shows as mounting not as read only...

When I go and access the share remotely from another machine, the drive always mounts as read only. Any idea where I can look to try to solve the issue? Copying from it is no problem, its just in read only mode when shared... and all settings look to be correct....

Any ideas? Thanks.

-Adam

On 1/2/2022 at 5:30 AM, dlandon said:

Applied a fix that should show SCSI disks in UD with the dynamix.scsi.device plugin installed.  UD now excludes CD and DVD disks, and accepts all other devices.  This was changed from including only sd, hd, and nvme devices.  I have no way to test though, so I don't know if this works.  Feedback would be appreciated.  If you see a device in UD that should not be there, let me know as I may need to exclude it.

Not fixed. Same behavior I observed previously. Soon as I installed dynamix.scsi.device plugin the SAS drives that were showing in UD are no longer detected UD. Attached are two diagnostics. One with the dynamix.scsi.device plugin installed, one without it. Hopefully the difference will stand out.

tower2-diagnostics-20220104-1236-dynamix.scsi.device REMOVED.zip tower2-diagnostics-20220104-1215-dynamix.scsi.device INSTALLED.zip

8 minutes ago, adamf said:

Ok, here are my diagnostics for the question about hfsplus mounting as read only

tower-diagnostics-20220104-1638.zip 368.64 kB · 0 downloads

Your log is so full of these messages, I can't find anything about UD mounting a disk:

Jan  4 16:35:38 Tower kernel: eth0: renamed from vetheb13b06
Jan  4 16:35:38 Tower kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): veth33e51aa: link becomes ready
Jan  4 16:35:38 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(veth33e51aa) entered blocking state
Jan  4 16:35:38 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(veth33e51aa) entered forwarding state
Jan  4 16:35:38 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(veth33e51aa) entered disabled state
Jan  4 16:35:38 Tower kernel: vetheb13b06: renamed from eth0
Jan  4 16:35:38 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(veth33e51aa) entered disabled state
Jan  4 16:35:38 Tower kernel: device veth33e51aa left promiscuous mode
Jan  4 16:36:38 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(veth447cdf3) entered blocking state
Jan  4 16:36:38 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(veth447cdf3) entered disabled state
Jan  4 16:36:38 Tower kernel: device veth447cdf3 entered promiscuous mode
Jan  4 16:36:38 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(veth447cdf3) entered blocking state
Jan  4 16:36:38 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(veth447cdf3) entered forwarding state
Jan  4 16:36:38 Tower kernel: docker0: port 1(veth447cdf3) entered disabled state
Jan  4 16:36:38 Tower kernel: eth0: renamed from veth430d7c6

These happen about every minute and swamp the log.

You'll need to clear this up.  You also need to update to the latest version of UD.

I realize many will question the wisdom of running a VM appliance and Docker from an Unassigned SSD. Well, maybe I was complacent but I've been doing it for years and didn't have any issues until I installed the latest Unassigned Devices update, which made a couple of VMs and a Docker unstartable.

After this happened I modified the paths using the new Unassigned Devices short path, which fixed my Windows10 VM! 

Unfortunately the new short path did not work everywhere. I'm still a big fan of Unassigned Devices and will continue to use it but I need some ideas on how to fix a couple of crippling issues.

My Plex server (Docker) is no longer accessible although the Docker comes up ok and my Sophos UTM firewall (VM) fails to start with the dreaded

>>>

Booting from Hard Disk...

Boot failed: not a bootable disk

No bootable device.

>>>

Thanks, C 

tower-diagnostics-20220104-1750.zip