Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Looking at the unassigned devices.cfg log reminds me that I previously changed the label on all three of these.  There is a reference to the previous label on the mountpoint of the 8TB disk, but I can't find any other references to the old labels, and I didn't take a screenshot or anything.  Not sure if that helps, but I figure more info is better.

I'm at a loss on this, my external Seagate drive that I use for backup will no longer show the option to have it mounted. It worked fine about a month ago. Now all it shows is a "no" symbol (circle w/line through it) followed by Array. Something funny is that Seagate_Expansion_Drive partition is the primary partition, it should be showing up as essentially 8TB in size, but that's no the case right now.

image.thumb.png.6d64020453d2ed55eb6a805b985bbf11.png

I've tried:

*Another USB drive which works fine, and allows me to mount it as an unassigned disk.

*Connecting the Seagate drive to a Windows machine and it works fine

*Different USB ports on the Unraid machine

I haven't tried a reboot yet, but figured since other drives appear to be working, I don't think a reboot is the solution. Plus I like seeing that big uptime number :) Anything else I can try?

16 minutes ago, TX-Boiler said:

I haven't tried a reboot yet, but figured since other drives appear to be working, I don't think a reboot is the solution. Plus I like seeing that big uptime number :) Anything else I can try?

You need to reboot.  That disk was removed before it was unmounted and when re-installed, it was assigned a new sdX designation by Linux and Unraid did not assign it as Unassigned.  UD thinks it is an array disk that disconnected.

3 hours ago, CSwain said:

Hello,

My UPS shut down for no apparent reason, and when my Unraid server came back up, the three disks I had as unassigned devices all show "format" instead of "mount", with no file system noted.

They were previously formatted, mounted, tested, and then spun down, as I hadn't yet decided how I was going to use them.

I'm pretty sure one was xfs and the other two were NTFS.

I can reformat as I'm not losing anything, but why would this happen?

Is there any other way to get the system to recognize them without reformatting?

One of them, which used to be an array disk, is also showing in its log info:

Mar 26 11:10:11 Robert root: /usr/sbin/wsdd -i bro
Mar 26 11:10:11 Robert wsdd[5646]: Invalid interface name bro

I think I may have had a share set on that one to backup some data.

The other two aren't showing this, but still otherwise only allow formatting.

Unraid 6.9.2, latest UD (updated after restart today, just in case).  I did try a restart, but it made no difference.

Edit: Diagnostics attached.  

image.thumb.png.b186b168effdf87bbc1737274b68e5eb.png

robert-diagnostics-20220326-1215.zip 128.97 kB · 0 downloads

Linux does not see any partitions on those disks.  UD can't do anythig with them.

8 hours ago, comet424 said:

check mark its unclickable  when its white.. unable to check the file system  if i cant mount it, as  your steps was to check the file system before you mount it.. but white check mark does nothing

oh ok.. ya i think it was just a spare drive from another unraid i had  and shoved it in my sisters box to use..  but that was last year so i didnt remember... ya if its part of data disk then ya i dont need it.. i dont use unraid all the time  its a set it and forget it.. so  i appreciate you guys that know it 100% as i know it 5% lol   

i wish i stuck with linux 20 yrs ago i just hated linux in 2000 and later Redhat gui and command line cisco in 2000. should have stuck with it all instead of just windows lol

ill format it then 🙂

udb.PNG

Correct.  BTRFS disks can only be scrubbed when they are mounted.

17 hours ago, dlandon said:

You need to reboot.  That disk was removed before it was unmounted and when re-installed, it was assigned a new sdX designation by Linux and Unraid did not assign it as Unassigned.  UD thinks it is an array disk that disconnected.

Sure enough, that did the trick. Thanks. I just made a small contribution to your retirement to show my appreciation.

On 3/26/2022 at 4:28 PM, dlandon said:

Linux does not see any partitions on those disks.  UD can't do anythig with them.

FWIW, I removed one of the disks that I knew was NTFS and was able to use testdisk on my windows box to recover the two partitions.  When I reinstalled it, UD recognized it to mount right away and it seems fine.  Running the first of the other two disks now, the first of which doesn't have recognizable partitions, so it's running a cylinder scan.  Then we find out if testdisk handles xfs. I still have no idea why the partition info is unreadable on all three drives in the first place, as the drives were spun down when the machine lost power.

Just replaced my desktop computer and trying to add a mount point to unraid for some remote backups. I can add the mount point but it won't mount. The log just shows a blank page.

From the system log-

Mar 29 20:34:18 Brunnhilde unassigned.devices: *** mountpoint m1_mini_brunnhilde
Mar 29 20:34:22 Brunnhilde unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '//M1-MINI/brunnhilde'...
Mar 29 20:34:22 Brunnhilde unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//M1-MINI/brunnhilde' using SMB default protocol.
Mar 29 20:34:22 Brunnhilde unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_brunnhilde' '//M1-MINI/brunnhilde' '/mnt/remotes/m1_mini_brunnhilde'
Mar 29 20:34:22 Brunnhilde kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount \\M1-MINI\brunnhilde
Mar 29 20:34:22 Brunnhilde kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

brunnhilde-diagnostics-20220329-2037.zip

After I uninstalled UNASSIGNED DEVICES these entries stopped filling up my syslog. Any advice?

Mar 30 08:55:25 SUN smbd[7236]:   Global parameter min protocol found in service section!
Mar 30 08:56:55 SUN smbd[7236]: [2022/03/30 08:56:55.956505,  0] ../../lib/param/loadparm.c:1890(lpcfg_do_service_parameter)
Mar 30 08:56:55 SUN smbd[7236]:   Global parameter min protocol found in service section!
Mar 30 08:58:25 SUN smbd[7236]: [2022/03/30 08:58:25.971848,  0] ../../lib/param/loadparm.c:1890(lpcfg_do_service_parameter)
Mar 30 08:58:25 SUN smbd[7236]:   Global parameter min protocol found in service section!
Mar 30 08:59:56 SUN smbd[7236]: [2022/03/30 08:59:56.123767,  0] ../../lib/param/loadparm.c:1890(lpcfg_do_service_parameter)

I see this question was asked back in 2019, but UD has changed a lot since then so I'll ask again: is there a way to hide devices so that they don't show up under UD? I'm using the ZFS plugin and both ZFS Companion (Dashboard widget) and ZFS Master (Main tab addition). As the ZFS array is monitored by those 2 plugins, it would be nice if there was a toggle in UD so that a drive can be hidden from even showing when it's been passed through or set to disable the Mount button.

50 minutes ago, Adem said:

I have an HP DL380p Gen8 with two Samsung 970 EVO Plus (PCI Adapter)

After Fromat, the Mount button is greyed out. idk why. i tried everything.

How about a screen shot of the disk in the UD page?  You haven't given us enough information to help you.

17 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

I see this question was asked back in 2019, but UD has changed a lot since then so I'll ask again: is there a way to hide devices so that they don't show up under UD? I'm using the ZFS plugin and both ZFS Companion (Dashboard widget) and ZFS Master (Main tab addition). As the ZFS array is monitored by those 2 plugins, it would be nice if there was a toggle in UD so that a drive can be hidden from even showing when it's been passed through or set to disable the Mount button.

There is no way at this time to hide an Unassigned Device.

• Thanks 1

Well, posting the conf file may not help now, unless it is part of my diag zip I grabbed prior to me reinstalling. Yes, I reinstalled unassigned devices and plus and noticed those entries have stopped. Very strange. Let me take a peek in my zip diag file to see if that smb-extra.conf file is there. Funny someone asked to see that, as I was checking out several conf files just to see if anything out of the ordinary was there.

12 hours ago, dlandon said:

How about a screen shot of the disk in the UD page?  You haven't given us enough information to help you.

Sorry for that, here is the screenshot you wanted

image.thumb.png.d65e6f98b27dc269b77a538bc505a21e.png

i tried to format them with xfs and btrfs

i will use these disks only for my vms.