Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Hi all,

Bit of an unraid newbie here... I have a old ubuntu-based NAS/media server that suffered several hardware failures, so I am migrating it to a new machine. I am trying to base that machine on unraid because I dont have as much time for tinkering as I used to. First step is to migrate the data from this old machine over to the new machine. I need to re-use the drives (all formatted ext4) and since the old machine is dead, can't just copy from one working server to another. My plan was to do this by using Unassigned Devices to mount the drives from the old box one at a time, rsync the old data to the new unraid share, then reformat that old drive, add it to the share, and repeat until all drives were added.

I installed Unassigned Devices (and the Plus addon), added my first old drive to the box, booted, and see the drive in the unassigned devices section. However, I cannot mount it--I just see a greyed out "partition" button where the mount button would be.

Ideas on how to proceed here? I cannot pre-clear these drives as they have all of the needed data on them, so not sure where to go from here.

Disk log info is below:

Aug 16 14:43:08 Coruscant kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 1953506646 4096-byte logical blocks: (8.00 TB/7.28 TiB)
Aug 16 14:43:08 Coruscant kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Aug 16 14:43:08 Coruscant kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: f7 00 10 08
Aug 16 14:43:08 Coruscant kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, supports DPO and FUA
Aug 16 14:43:08 Coruscant kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
Aug 16 14:43:27 Coruscant emhttpd: HUH728080AL4200_2EG1PSRJ_35000cca23b03184c (sdb) 4096 1953506646
Aug 16 14:43:27 Coruscant emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdb
Aug 16 14:46:53 Coruscant emhttpd: HUH728080AL4200_2EG1PSRJ_35000cca23b03184c (sdb) 4096 1953506646
Aug 16 14:46:55 Coruscant emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdb

Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 6.16.11 PM.png

Edited by dessias
Added logs
On 5/8/2024 at 2:49 PM, dlandon said:

Both sdl and sdm have the same mount point: "EFI".  Each mount point has to be unique.  Either don't mount these partitions at the same time, remove them if they are not needed, or rename them to be unique (best choice).

UD thinks the disk (sdl) was not unmounted and then reinserted, and marked the mount button "Reboot" because it thinks the disk was not properly unmounted.

Hello again,

Thank you for the previous advice regarding the issue with unRAID recognizing two disks with EFI partitions named "EFI," leading to a persistent "Reboot" button. Despite powering off one of the devices to address the duplicate EFI partition names, the "Reboot" button remains for the still-active disk.

These disks were formatted on a Big Sur iMac, and I need to keep the EFI partitions as they are to ensure they remain recognizable by the macOS system. My aim is to mount these disks on unRAID and access them remotely from the iMac for backup purposes, keeping the backup drives in a different room away from a crowded workspace.

Currently, I am in the middle of a data rebuild and cannot reboot the unRAID system. I have attempted the suggested fixes, including ensuring that the disks are properly unmounted before reinsertion. However, none of these steps have resolved the "Reboot" issue.

Could anyone suggest a workaround that does not involve renaming the EFI partitions or rebooting the system? I appreciate any further insights or help.

Thank you!

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

What filesystem, and were they in an md raid array?

EXT4. There was an MD array on some of the disks (my boot drives were in a RAID 1 array) but this is not one of those disks.

Interestingly, I can mount them via the terminal and rsync the data off just fine, so it seems like the underlying OS recognizes it just fine.

Edited by dessias
1 minute ago, dessias said:

Interestingly, I can mount them via the terminal and rsync the data off just fine, so it seems like the underlying OS recognizes it just fine.

It's likely the drive contained a filesystem on the entire drive instead of having a partition defined. UD doesn't support that, AFAIK mostly to avoid wrong manipulations.

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

It's likely the drive contained a filesystem on the entire drive instead of having a partition defined. UD doesn't support that, AFAIK mostly to avoid wrong manipulations.

Huh. Im kind of surprised I set it up that way 🤣 Oh well. Given that I can just mount and rsync directly, I suppose I will just go that route then. Thanks!

I have this Error by Plugin the second USB Disk, but don't why? The First USB Disk was safely umount over the Unassigned Device Umount Button. I can't by Switch the USB Disks not Reboot the Unraid Server everytime to remove the reserved.

unassigned.devices: Error: Device '/dev/sdh1' mount point 'USB-Backup_Raster' - name is reserved, used in the array or a pool, or by an unassigned device.
Importance: alert

5 minutes ago, Revan335 said:

I have this Error by Plugin the second USB Disk, but don't why? The First USB Disk was safely umount over the Unassigned Device Umount Button. I can't by Switch the USB Disks not Reboot the Unraid Server everytime to remove the reserved.

unassigned.devices: Error: Device '/dev/sdh1' mount point 'USB-Backup_Raster' - name is reserved, used in the array or a pool, or by an unassigned device.
Importance: alert

The mount point is the same on this device as another device.  Post diagnostics for a closer look.

20 hours ago, Revan335 said:

I send this to you.

That bought Disks have the same mount point its correct. He are bought the "rotated" Backup Destination for example lucky Backup.

You successfully mounted a disk at mount point '/mnt/disks/USB-Backup_Raster':

ug 11 05:21:21 Raster unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sdc1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/USB-Backup_Raster'...
Aug 11 05:21:21 Raster unassigned.devices: Mount cmd: /sbin/mount -t 'btrfs' -o rw,relatime,space_cache=v2 '/dev/sdc1' '/mnt/disks/USB-Backup_Raster'

It was properly unmounted:

Aug 19 19:21:24 Raster unassigned.devices: Unmounting partition '/dev/sdc1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/USB-Backup_Raster'...
Aug 19 19:21:25 Raster unassigned.devices: Synching file system on '/mnt/disks/USB-Backup_Raster'.
Aug 19 19:21:25 Raster unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount -l '/mnt/disks/USB-Backup_Raster' 2>&1
Aug 19 19:21:25 Raster unassigned.devices: Successfully unmounted '/dev/sdc1'

Then you attempted to mount another disk at mount point '/mnt/disks/USB-Backup_Raster':

Aug 19 20:44:36 Raster kernel: BTRFS: device label USB-Backup_Raster devid 1 transid 23336 /dev/sdh1 scanned by udevd (26907)
Aug 19 20:44:36 Raster unassigned.devices: Error: Device '/dev/sdh1' mount point 'USB-Backup_Raster' - name is reserved, used in the array or a pool, or by an unassigned device.
Aug 19 20:44:36 Raster unassigned.devices: Disk with serial 'WD_My_Passport_25E2_57584C31453636465A4E4C35-0:0', mountpoint 'USB-Backup_Raster' cannot be mounted.

Is the second disk a different disk with the same mount point?

Go to a command line and type 'ud_diagnostics' and then post the /flash/logs/ud_diagnostics.zip file.

15 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Is the second disk a different disk with the same mount point?

Yes, it's not the same USB Disk.

15 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Go to a command line and type 'ud_diagnostics' and then post the /flash/logs/ud_diagnostics.zip file.

I sended to you.

16 minutes ago, Revan335 said:

Yes, it's not the same USB Disk.

You can't have two different devices with the same mount point attached at the same time.  Either change the name of one of them, or only have one device at a time attached.

On 8/20/2024 at 4:15 PM, Revan335 said:

Its only one Device at the same Time connected.

To overcome the problem for the time being, navigate to the UD webpage and then hot plug your device.  I'm working on a fix for the next release.

• Thanks 1

I have two drives mounted through Unassigned Disk Devices. The internal drive will automount but the external drive won't unless I unplug it then plug it back in. This is the only way I can get it to mount.

After I reboot, one of the drives automounts correctly but the other doesn't and the MOUNT is greyed out. I have to unplug the usb cable then plug it back in and the drive will auto-mount correctly. Does this happen to anyone else? I've got the drive correctly set for automount and all of the settings are identical to the drive which does properly mount.

Drives have unique identifiers, etc. Both are set to automount. The external drive won't let me mount at all unless I unplug it and plug it back in, then it automounts.

The log doesn't show any errors. It gets to "Unraid emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sda" and that's the final line.

I have an issue with Unassigned Devices.
It seems like there is some Minimum free space set somewhere, but I can't figure out where to set it lower.
I have a 2TB USB HDD and it shows that there is 550GB free on the drive, but nevertheless Unraid won't let me write anything to the drive anymore - always says that the disk is full.
Any ideas?

9 hours ago, wizenthorne said:

I have two drives mounted through Unassigned Disk Devices. The internal drive will automount but the external drive won't unless I unplug it then plug it back in. This is the only way I can get it to mount.

After I reboot, one of the drives automounts correctly but the other doesn't and the MOUNT is greyed out. I have to unplug the usb cable then plug it back in and the drive will auto-mount correctly. Does this happen to anyone else? I've got the drive correctly set for automount and all of the settings are identical to the drive which does properly mount.

Drives have unique identifiers, etc. Both are set to automount. The external drive won't let me mount at all unless I unplug it and plug it back in, then it automounts.

The log doesn't show any errors. It gets to "Unraid emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sda" and that's the final line.

Go to a command line and type 'ud_diagnostics', then upload the /flash/logs/ud_diagnostics.zip.

14 minutes ago, convernatics said:

I have an issue with Unassigned Devices.
It seems like there is some Minimum free space set somewhere, but I can't figure out where to set it lower.
I have a 2TB USB HDD and it shows that there is 550GB free on the drive, but nevertheless Unraid won't let me write anything to the drive anymore - always says that the disk is full.
Any ideas?

How are you coppying files to the UD disk and what is the source of the files?  There is no minimum free space on a UD disk, so I don;t understand what limit you are running into.  Unraid doesn't have any control over UD disks.

49 minutes ago, wizenthorne said:

Thank you for your response! Here is the log zip you requested.

ud_diagnostics-20240827-102148.zip 34.61 kB · 0 downloads

One of the disks has an issue with an empty partition:

Aug 25 12:06:02 Unraid unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Devices...
Aug 25 12:06:02 Unraid unassigned.devices: Partition '' does not have a file system and cannot be mounted.
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sde1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/3TB'...
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid unassigned.devices: Mount cmd: /sbin/mount -t 'xfs' -o rw,relatime '/dev/sde1' '/mnt/disks/3TB'
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid kernel: XFS (sde1): Mounting V5 Filesystem
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.2102.0" x-pid="15158" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid kernel: XFS (sde1): Ending clean mount
Aug 25 12:06:04 Unraid unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sde1' on '/mnt/disks/3TB'.

I don't think this is your particular issue because this is the internal disk.  The USB disk doesn't seem to have an issue.

Please post a screen shot of UD showing the two disks.

4 minutes ago, dlandon said:

One of the disks has an issue with an empty partition:

Aug 25 12:06:02 Unraid unassigned.devices: Mounting 'Auto Mount' Devices...
Aug 25 12:06:02 Unraid unassigned.devices: Partition '' does not have a file system and cannot be mounted.
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sde1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/3TB'...
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid unassigned.devices: Mount cmd: /sbin/mount -t 'xfs' -o rw,relatime '/dev/sde1' '/mnt/disks/3TB'
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid kernel: XFS (sde1): Mounting V5 Filesystem
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.2102.0" x-pid="15158" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Aug 25 12:06:03 Unraid kernel: XFS (sde1): Ending clean mount
Aug 25 12:06:04 Unraid unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/sde1' on '/mnt/disks/3TB'.

I don't think this is your particular issue because this is the internal disk.  The USB disk doesn't seem to have an issue.

Please post a screen shot of UD showing the two disks.

That 16TB drive is the one that will show a greyed out MOUNT button on reboot, but will mount when I unplug it and plug it back in.

image.thumb.png.7d5a2387f8fc73251853b5d473c65916.png

2 minutes ago, wizenthorne said:

That 16TB drive is the one that will show a greyed out MOUNT button on reboot, but will mount when I unplug it and plug it back in.

image.thumb.png.7d5a2387f8fc73251853b5d473c65916.png

Show a screen shot after a reboot when the mount button is grayed.

13 minutes ago, wizenthorne said:

I am also attaching a new log I request right after the reboot and before I unplugged and plugged in the external drive, just in case it logged something about the mount information.

image.thumb.png.751699e5fbfa7de58832768ffa77621b.png

ud_diagnostics-20240827-120745.zip 28.78 kB · 0 downloads

UD is not picking up the file system on that partition.  Try clicking on the double arrow icon and see if the file system shows and the mount button turns active.