Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

16 minutes ago, yanksno1 said:

Yup, I've clicked the Mount button and gone to start/stop the docker in settings also. Keeps showing the Mount button like that. Doesn't seem to help. Think I'm missing something else? 

Ok.  You won't see it in the docker until you mount it.  Look at the UD log and see why it won't mount.  Does the smb share require a login user and password?

13 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Ok.  You won't see it in the docker until you mount it.  Look at the UD log and see why it won't mount.  Does the smb share require a login user and password?

Yup, that was it. I was using the wrong password so it wouldn't mount. It'd still go in with the wrong password, so that's what was confusing me. Thanks so much for your help. 

Since we have support for SMB and NFS, would it be possible to get support for FTP, sFTP, and SSHFS? It seems like it would be a logical extension of that portion of the plugin, and would be helpful for those of us who want access to machines we manage that are not on our local network. My apologies if this has already been covered! 

2 hours ago, Say592 said:

Since we have support for SMB and NFS, would it be possible to get support for FTP, sFTP, and SSHFS? It seems like it would be a logical extension of that portion of the plugin, and would be helpful for those of us who want access to machines we manage that are not on our local network. My apologies if this has already been covered! 

The plugin just leverages SMB/NFS already part of the unRAID OS. You should be able to use FTP, etc. plugins or dockers to allow access to any Unassigned Device mounted by this plugin.

In other words, this plugin is just intended to provide the mounting of Unassigned Devices. FTP, etc. should be (and is) provided by other components.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, trurl said:

The plugin just leverages SMB/NFS already part of the unRAID OS. You should be able to use FTP, etc. plugins or dockers to allow access to any Unassigned Device mounted by this plugin.

In other words, this plugin is just intended to provide the mounting of Unassigned Devices. FTP, etc. should be (and is) provided by other components.

That is a better answer.  UD was originally designed to handle mounting USB drives to copy files form them to the array.  It has morphed into mounting unassigned disk drives (for VMs) and mounting remote shares (SMB and NFS) on the LAN.  That is as far as I am comfortable taking remote mounting functionality.  I am not comfortable dealing with the security issues associated with accessing stuff outside the LAN.

I have also been donating my spare time (there is little these days) to do the UD development.  @gfjardim is still also actively involved in UD enhancements and improvements.  I don't think either one of us has time (or the interest) to devote to an effort like that at this time.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you should look elsewhere (a Docker?) that will do what you want.

• Upvote 1

I just installed Unassigned Devices for the first time.  I read about having to share a drive, not just mount it, and I think I've done it all correctly but the drive still doesn't show up either in the list of disk shares or by navigating to unRAID by my Win 10 explorer.  

Two screenshots attached.  What am I missing? I've clicked the "mount" button. It crunches for a minute and then comes back with the + symbol below, but the mount button never disappears.

Any help is appreciated.

Unassigned Devices.PNG

disk shares.PNG

Edited by TODDLT
24 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

I just installed Unassigned Devices for the first time.  I read about having to share a drive, not just mount it, and I think I've done it all correctly but the drive still doesn't show up either in the list of disk shares or by navigating to unRAID by my Win 10 explorer.  

Two screenshots attached.  What am I missing? I've clicked the "mount" button. It crunches for a minute and then comes back with the + symbol below, but the mount button never disappears.

Any help is appreciated.

Unassigned Devices.PNG

disk shares.PNG

Look at the UD log and it will tell why it won't mount.  It will not share until it is mounted.

14 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Look at the UD log and it will tell why it won't mount.  It will not share until it is mounted.

OK well this is interesting:

Jul 06 20:33:32 Disk with serial 'ST3000VN000-1HJ166_Z6A039JQ' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Jul 06 20:33:32 Disk with serial 'ST3000VN000-1HJ166_Z6A03928' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Jul 06 20:33:32 Adding disk '/dev/sdf1'...
Jul 06 20:33:32 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard '/dev/sdf1' '/mnt/disks/SSD'
Jul 06 20:33:32 Mount of '/dev/sdf1' failed. Error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdf1,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail or so.

Jul 06 20:33:32 Partition 'Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB S21HNXAG454345K' could not be mounted, aborting...
Jul 06 21:39:58 Adding disk '/dev/sdf1'...
Jul 06 21:39:58 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard '/dev/sdf1' '/mnt/disks/SSD'
Jul 06 21:39:58 Mount of '/dev/sdf1' failed. Error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdf1,

dmesg | tail or so.

Jul 06 21:39:58 Partition 'Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB S21HNXAG454345K' could not be mounted, aborting...

This drive red-balled (x'd) a few days ago and my use of UD is about checking out the data that is on the drive.  It appeared that the drive was OK, but not so sure now.   I assigned an older drive for that slot in the array to check this one out.  I have not attempted to re-mount it in the array since it went out.  This is the first attempt

Any thoughts?

Smart test report attached.  See this at the bottom:

Warning! SMART Selective Self-Test Log Structure error: invalid SMART checksum.
SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
  255        0    65535  Read_scanning was never started
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_500GB_S21HNXAG454345K-20170706-2331.txt

On 7/2/2017 at 6:24 PM, dlandon said:

This is happening because of some changes made to the preclear plugin that were also integrated into the UD plugin.  There is a background daemon running that collects disk information periodically to try to cut down on the disk queries.  This daemon is apparently getting some wrong information about unassigned and array disks.  I'll take it up with gfjardim and see if we can't come up with a fix.

I thought this was fixed. The disks are not listed in UD but have now migrated to Preclear. Same disks (sdp, sdb)

5 hours ago, TODDLT said:

OK well this is interesting:

Jul 06 20:33:32 Disk with serial 'ST3000VN000-1HJ166_Z6A039JQ' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Jul 06 20:33:32 Disk with serial 'ST3000VN000-1HJ166_Z6A03928' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Jul 06 20:33:32 Adding disk '/dev/sdf1'...
Jul 06 20:33:32 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard '/dev/sdf1' '/mnt/disks/SSD'
Jul 06 20:33:32 Mount of '/dev/sdf1' failed. Error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdf1,

dmesg | tail or so.

Jul 06 20:33:32 Partition 'Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB S21HNXAG454345K' could not be mounted, aborting...
Jul 06 21:39:58 Adding disk '/dev/sdf1'...
Jul 06 21:39:58 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard '/dev/sdf1' '/mnt/disks/SSD'
Jul 06 21:39:58 Mount of '/dev/sdf1' failed. Error message: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdf1,

dmesg | tail or so.

Jul 06 21:39:58 Partition 'Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB S21HNXAG454345K' could not be mounted, aborting...

This drive red-balled (x'd) a few days ago and my use of UD is about checking out the data that is on the drive.  It appeared that the drive was OK, but not so sure now.   I assigned an older drive for that slot in the array to check this one out.  I have not attempted to re-mount it in the array since it went out.  This is the first attempt

Any thoughts?

The file system looks to be corrupt and that's why you can't mount it.  Your decision at this point depends on whether or not you want the files on the disk.  I'm not an expert on file system issues, but you can try the repair tool in UD to recover files or preclear the disk and see if it is still a viable disk in which case the files will be lost.

4 hours ago, TODDLT said:

Smart test report attached.  See this at the bottom:

Warning! SMART Selective Self-Test Log Structure error: invalid SMART checksum.
SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
  255        0    65535  Read_scanning was never started
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_500GB_S21HNXAG454345K-20170706-2331.txt

Now I'm very confused.  This is an SSD.  Was it in your array or a cache drive?  Disregard my previous post on preclearing the disk.

I'd say you had/have a cable or other issue that caused the file system to become corrupt as the drive appears to be fine according to the SMART report.

4 hours ago, interwebtech said:

I thought this was fixed. The disks are not listed in UD but have now migrated to Preclear. Same disks (sdp, sdb)

Should be but it appears there is still an issue with array drives showing up in preclear.  I disabled the diskinfo in UD until @gfjardim finished the diskinfo daemon.  I have been testing his latest version and it appears that he has sorted out the issues.  I'll issue another UD update to re-enable the diskinfo daemon once I am convinced the issues like you are experiencing have been solved.  UD and preclear should always agree on the drives that are unassigned.

If I recall, you had drives show up that were in your array.  Be sure you have the latest version of preclear and if the disks still show up, download the preclear log and post it on the preclear thread so @gfjardim can see the issue.

4 hours ago, dlandon said:

Now I'm very confused.  This is an SSD.  Was it in your array or a cache drive?  Disregard my previous post on preclearing the disk.

I'd say you had/have a cable or other issue that caused the file system to become corrupt as the drive appears to be fine according to the SMART report.

This drive was in my array and is now temporarily replaced by an older HDD until I can decide if this SSD is bad or not.  I would consider a preclear and restart save one issue.  As luck would turn out 2 days before this drive redballed, my monthly parity check showed 5 errors, and that has only happened once in the past.   It was non-correcting and I have no idea what the source of the errors was.  

I have another thread going to work on the bigger issue of the redball drive and only posted here over the specific issue with UD not mounting the drive.  Of course I welcome any comments that would be helpful.  On that side he has said I need to create a new UUID for the SDD because the replaced drive has the same UUID.  I'll let you know if that lets it mount.

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/58549-red-ball-x-issue-please-help/   

Edited by TODDLT
12 hours ago, dlandon said:

OK the mounting problem was resolved by changing the UUID of the drive.  My UD issue in this story is resolved. 

Great tool BTW.  This is my first experience with it and without a doubt not my last.  Thanks for the work in creating and updating it (to all in the effort)!

7 hours ago, dlandon said:

You can control sharing in the Settings->Unassigned Devices.

I do see that, but I only see option to turn on/off NFS sharing, SMB is always on and I cannot find a way to turn it off.  No matter what I do the include for UD is in the samba extra options.  If I delete the line it always returns.  Thanks

Edited by unevent
1 minute ago, unevent said:

I do see that, but I only see option to turn on/off NFS sharing, SMB is always on and I cannot find a way to turn it off.  No matter what I do the include for UD is in the samba extra options.  If I delete the line it always returns.  I would like to share with NFS only.  Thanks

1 hour ago, unevent said:

I do see that, but I only see option to turn on/off NFS sharing, SMB is always on and I cannot find a way to turn it off.  No matter what I do the include for UD is in the samba extra options.  If I delete the line it always returns.  Thanks

Set "Enable SMB Security?" to "Yes (hidden)" and the share will not be browseable.  No one will see the share then.

• trurl pinned this topic