[Support] ich777 - AMD Vendor Reset, CoralTPU, hpsahba,...

This is the support thread for multiple Plugins like:

• AMD Vendor Reset Plugin
  • Coral TPU Driver Plugin
  • hpsahba Driver Plugin

Please always include for which plugin that you need help also the Diagnostics from your server and a screenshots from your container template if your issue is related to a container.

If you like my work, please consider making a donation

Donate

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

can i be the first to say, wow!, i can see how this will be VERY useful for people wanting to pass through hardware to containers, and now being able to build out an image is impressive work indeed!, and of course takes the load of LSIO to produce the custom image every time unraid bumps the version, a real game changer!.

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, binhex said:

can i be the first to say, wow!, i can see how this will be VERY useful for people wanting to pass through hardware to containers, and now being able to build out an image is impressive work indeed!, and of course takes the load of LSIO to produce the custom image every time unraid bumps the version, a real game changer!.

Appreciated, this was no easy task since I had zero understanding of how to compile a kernel now I know a little bit... :D

I was also looking for a way to upgrade my drivers a little bit faster and also to add custom kernel modules the 'easy' way (I totally understand that linuxserver can't build a new image for each new driver version...)

If you got any suggestions feel free to contact me. ;)

Btw: I uploaded the container already but it will take a bit to update in the CA App.

Edited by ich777
  • Like 4
10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

If you got any suggestions feel free to contact me

i think my only current suggestion is possibly to add to the OP that limetech will not support custom kernels at this time, so there is no official support whatsoever  if something should go wrong (obviously there is community help though).

Edited by binhex
Just now, binhex said:

i think my only current suggestion is possibly to add to the OP that limetech will not support custom kernels at this time, so there is no official support whatsoever (obviously there is community help though).

Should i make it a little bigger or is it not clear? English is not my native language... :/

But i will do that, thank you ;)

44 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Forum Notice: When something isn't working with or on your server and you make a forum post always include that you use a Kernel built by this container!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Forum Notice: When something isn't working with or on your server and you make a forum post always include that you use a Kernel built by this container!

yeah i saw that but it doesnt actually state that limetech wont support you, just that you need to specify its a custom kernel in your post, makes it kinda sound like limetech MAY support you, just put viewpoint you understand :-).

edit -saw your alteration, looks good 🙂

Edited by binhex
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Alphacosmos said:

This is amazing. I have been trying to figure out something like this for a while now. Now i can transcode plex with GPU and use a USB DVR. Its perfect. Now all it needs is the ability to add device drivers as required.

You can do that by setting CUSTOM_MODE to 'true'.

The container will then copy the build script and also the DVB patch file to the main directory and you can edit it there and add or remove things, then you can simply run it. ;)

(You also have to remove the first condition because the script stops if CUSTOM_MODE is set to 'true', this will be fixed in the next few days so that you don't have to do that manually)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

You can do that by setting CUSTOM_MODE to 'true'.

The container will then copy the build script and also the DVB patch file to the main directory and you can edit it there and add or remove things, then you can simply run it. ;)

(You also have to remove the first condition because the script stops if CUSTOM_MODE is set to 'true', this will be fixed in the next few days so that you don't have to do that manually)

See thats amazing as well. I think alot of people are going to be using this and you have saved people alot of time. Thank you!

This is great , thank you so much , I was waiting for this so I can have my GPU and DVB both working . before that I had to choose 

Just to be sure , the default settings will build a kernel with both drivers and I have to install manually or do I need to set custom mode ?

7 minutes ago, Ramiii said:

This is great , thank you so much , I was waiting for this so I can have my GPU and DVB both working . before that I had to choose 

Just to be sure , the default settings will build a kernel with both drivers and I have to install manually or do I need to set custom mode ?

If you let it as it is it will build it with nVidia and DVB (DigitalDevices, LibreELEC & Xbox USB Tuner currently included).

If you need other drivers you will need to enable the Custom mode and edit the build script.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sjaak said:

Nice to see this! it would also be awesome if it got a option to include the Vega Reset Bug Patch (and/or Navi Reset Bug Patch)...

You can build the kernel completely yourself by setting CUSTOM_MODE to 'true' by doing so, the container will copy the build script and al necessary files to the main directory and then you can customize the script itself or you copy paste line by line and add you patch files in between.

Finally!  Amazing!  Thankyou!

I dub thee, the official community kernel!

Items on my wishlist to include are:

1. The awesome ZFS plugin from @steini84 - he has previously published all the build scripts and while he's. always very accommodating to build a new version for us, it would be amazing to link the two.
  2. NFS updates
  3. Samba updates

Tips for anyone else first doing this that I didn't know:

1. The build process begins as soon as the docker starts (you will see the docker image is stopped when the process is finished)
  2. Use the logs.  The whole process status is outlined by watching the logs (the button on the right of the docker)
  3. The image is built into /mnt/cache/appdata/kernel/output-version by default.  You need to copy this to /boot on your USB key manually and you also need to delete it or move it for any subsequent builds
  4. There is a backup copied to /mnt/cache/appdata/kernel/backup-version.  I would copy this to another drive external to your unraid box, that way you can easily copy it straight onto the unraid USB if something goes wrong.

As a guide, the whole process took about 10 minutes on my Threadripper 1950x (32 threads).  The actual compilation of  the kernel seemed to be about 1 minute, so clearly there's a lot of other things going on.

Hope that helps someone.

Edited by Marshalleq
  • Like 2

Thanks for the post! ;)

If you can give me links where i can get these scripts or updates, please PM me. ;)

A big part of the build process is the compression of bzroot since this is a single core task...

I mainly built this container because i needed additional kernel modules for my DebianBuster-Nvidia Container (use this for streaming Steamgames to my mobile phone or older laptops but haven't got time tho fix this with the kernel.modules since I got a lot work)

Little side note: you always can build a custom kernel if you set the option CUSTOM_MODE to 'true' then the container will stop right at the beginning and copy the build script to the main directory, then it's only a matter of copy and paste or you change the script to your preferrence.

EDIT: Please always delete the container and the template when you finished building the kernel and redownload it from the CA app so that the template is always on the newest version.

EDIT2: I think about adding your tutorial to the first post and add my own things to it if you are OK with that.

Edited by ich777
15 hours ago, sjaak said:

Nice to see this! it would also be awesome if it got a option to include the Vega Reset Bug Patch (and/or Navi Reset Bug Patch)...

Can you give me links to where i can get them and i will see if i can integrate them easily.

Please always delete the container and the template when you finished building the kernel and redownload it from the CA app so that the template is always on the newest version.

Edited by ich777
4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you give me links to where i can get them and i will see if i can integrate them easily.

Please always delete the container and the template when you finished building the kernel and redownload it from the CA app so that the template is always on the newest version.

i cant found them complete (coffee isn't kicked in yet...) but levelonetech is my information source:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/vega-10-and-12-reset-application/145666

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/navi-reset-kernel-patch/147547

maybe you can ask @Leoyzen for the patches? he is also creating a custom kernel and include those patches.

i prefer to chose to install one or bold...

1 hour ago, sjaak said:

i cant found them complete (coffee isn't kicked in yet...) but levelonetech is my information source:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/vega-10-and-12-reset-application/145666

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/navi-reset-kernel-patch/147547

maybe you can ask @Leoyzen for the patches? he is also creating a custom kernel and include those patches.

i prefer to chose to install one or bold...

You can customize the build process completely with the options that i've mentioned above.

Sorry but i will not investigate too much since I'm really busy at the moment.

If you find the links to the patches somewhere please let me know and i will look into it. ;)

6 hours ago, ich777 said:

You can customize the build process completely with the options that i've mentioned above.

Sorry but i will not investigate too much since I'm really busy at the moment.

If you find the links to the patches somewhere please let me know and i will look into it. ;)

will do soon, if i got some free time ;)

• Thanks 1
On 5/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, ich777 said:

Thanks for the post! ;)

If you can give me links where i can get these scripts or updates, please PM me. ;)

A big part of the build process is the compression of bzroot since this is a single core task...

I mainly built this container because i needed additional kernel modules for my DebianBuster-Nvidia Container (use this for streaming Steamgames to my mobile phone or older laptops but haven't got time tho fix this with the kernel.modules since I got a lot work)

Little side note: you always can build a custom kernel if you set the option CUSTOM_MODE to 'true' then the container will stop right at the beginning and copy the build script to the main directory, then it's only a matter of copy and paste or you change the script to your preferrence.

EDIT: Please always delete the container and the template when you finished building the kernel and redownload it from the CA app so that the template is always on the newest version.

EDIT2: I think about adding your tutorial to the first post and add my own things to it if you are OK with that.

Yes of course, add them to the top - no need to ask!

Samba is here https://github.com/samba-team/samba

The ZFS code that steini uses is at https://github.com/Steini1984/unRAID6-ZFS

ZFS is the main one I'm interested in right now though.

Steini's ZFS is for a plugin though, so I'm not sure what that means, I expect he'd be keen to help though, he's great like that.  I'm quite sure there's a huge win in this for him (not having to compile the code each time himself) and us (not having to annoy him and wait to compile it for every beta version).  This is a key advantage really, we're usually at the mercy of others when it comes to testing kernels in the rc path steini is very good, but others have refused at times.

Thanks again, this docker is amazing!

• Like 1

Hello, a VM begginer question.

Is it still possible to passtrough the gpu to a VM with this build ?

I passed the gpu to a plex container and the transcode works like a charm but I m getting an error when I try to passtrough the gpu to a VM. 

I m wondering if it s the build or another issue that I need to look into (probably the latter ...)

• ich777 changed the title to [Support] ich777 - AMD Vendor Reset, CoralTPU, hpsahba,...