Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Unraid

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

Featured Replies

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

You have a Quadro 4000 and this card is simply to old to be supported by this plugin:

Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 245
Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA Quadro 4000 GPU installed in this system is
Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx Legacy drivers. Please
Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: NVRM:  information.  The 525.89.02 NVIDIA driver will ignore
Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...
Feb 28 20:55:01 Tower kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.

 

For what do you want to use the GPU? This GPU won't do much in terms of transcoding because it simply too old, the next thing is that you can't use the legacy driver for Docker containers because you need at least a driver based on version 4xx.xx

Oh wow... Thanks for the help.

I wanted to run the transcoding over it for Docker containers. And maybe the one or other VM.

The server is a budget solution and an old computer.
Is there a usable and cheap graphics card that can run the transcoding? And when I invest, then also in H265?

 

Don't know what to do now.....

  • Replies 5.9k
  • Views 1.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • To utilize your Nvidia graphics card in your Docker container(s) the basic steps are:   Add '--runtime=nvidia' in your Docker template in 'Extra Parameters' (you have to enable 'Advanced

  • Recompiled the drivers and they are now just working fine (to get it working scroll down):   Please do the following (this is only necessary if you upgraded before I recompiled the dri

  • I'm currently spinning up my build VM and compiling the drivers again, currently drivers for 6.11.0 stable are not available...

Posted Images

  • Author
10 minutes ago, MasterPepe said:

I wanted to run the transcoding over it for Docker containers. And maybe the one or other VM.

Both at the same time is not possible and I even don't recommend using it even if users are doing it that way.

 

You can use one card for multiple Docker container but not for Docker and VMs at the same time.

1 hour ago, alturismo said:

anything from a 1050 up should be fine, recommended is a T400 as it has also a pretty low power consumption.

 

here a nice matrix (expand nvenc)

 

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

Thank for your help.

The T400 also has an acceptable price, if it is available.
I have seen that it "only" supports 3 sessions. Is that a issue?
For example, if I transcode movies to H265 in one session, two people can still stream. Is that correct? 

Beginner here, how do I actually update the plugin?

 

I clicked Update & Download, allowed the download to complete. It provided the message that it will be installed after rebooting server however I've reset twice and nothing has happened.

 

Clicking Update & Download again verifies its already downloaded, how can I ensure it installs on the system reboot? (Which I've been doing by just clicking reboot)

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Both at the same time is not possible and I even don't recommend using it even if users are doing it that way.

 

You can use one card for multiple Docker container but not for Docker and VMs at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Then the recommendation is to use two separate graphics cards. 
For now, a T400 when I get it.

 

Do I need a dedicated graphics card for the VM? Or does it depend on what you do with the VM?

If I stream without a graphics card for the moment, do I have to consider anything in the settings?
(Sorry, wrong thread)

13 minutes ago, MasterPepe said:

For example, if I transcode movies to H265 in one session, two people can still stream. Is that correct? 

3 transcodes at a time, so if your ppl (externally) needs a transcode, then yes, if its direct play it doesnt matter as no transcodes are involved.

  • Author
11 minutes ago, MasterPepe said:

Do I need a dedicated graphics card for the VM? Or does it depend on what you do with the VM?

No, if you doing just simple tasks (browsing the web, text editing) by using RDP you don't need a GPU.

 

12 minutes ago, MasterPepe said:

If I stream without a graphics card for the moment, do I have to consider anything in the settings?

Usually not. But as said, I would recommend doing only light tasks since no HW acceleration is in place in the VM and everything is done on the CPU.

  • Author
22 minutes ago, gronfors said:

Beginner here, how do I actually update the plugin?

Are we talking about driver updates or the actual plugin?

 

22 minutes ago, gronfors said:

I clicked Update & Download, allowed the download to complete. It provided the message that it will be installed after rebooting server however I've reset twice and nothing has happened.

What is not happening? Is the driver not working?

What do you see on the plugin page (screenshot)? You haven't provided any information what's not happening...

 

Please post your Diagnostics for further help.

31 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are we talking about driver updates or the actual plugin?

 

What is not happening? Is the driver not working?

What do you see on the plugin page (screenshot)? You haven't provided any information what's not happening...

 

Please post your Diagnostics for further help.

Sorry, was thinking I just needed to update the driver - but getting the "NVIDIA-SMI has failed error" after updating my unraid OS from 6.9 to 6.11.5.

 

GPU is GTX 1080 Ti which still shows supported for 530.30.02 - Tried uninstalling / reinstalling Nvidia Driver plugin as well as rebooting.

 

Thanks for the help

 

image.thumb.png.fe80c26a1808075896e285c647d6118c.png

mumbojumbo-diagnostics-20230301-0907.zip

Edited by gronfors

  • Author
10 minutes ago, gronfors said:

GPU is GTX 1080 Ti which still shows supported for 530.30.02 - Tried uninstalling / reinstalling Nvidia Driver plugin as well as rebooting.

The only Nvidia GPU that I see in your system is a GTX680:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 680] [10de:1180] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GK104 [GeForce GTX 680] [3842:3688]
	Kernel modules: nvidia_drm, nvidia
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:0e0a] (rev a1)

 

And the syslog also tells you that it is a GTX680 and that this card is actually supported by the 470.xx series driver:

Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 245
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 GPU installed in this system is
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 470.xx Legacy drivers. Please
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM:  information.  The 530.30.02 NVIDIA driver will ignore
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.

 

Are you sure that this is actually a GTX1080Ti and that this card was working before with the 500.xx series driver?

9 minutes ago, ich777 said:

The only Nvidia GPU that I see in your system is a GTX680:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 680] [10de:1180] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GK104 [GeForce GTX 680] [3842:3688]
	Kernel modules: nvidia_drm, nvidia
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:0e0a] (rev a1)

 

And the syslog also tells you that it is a GTX680 and that this card is actually supported by the 470.xx series driver:

Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 245
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 GPU installed in this system is
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 470.xx Legacy drivers. Please
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM:  information.  The 530.30.02 NVIDIA driver will ignore
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...
Mar  1 09:01:32 MumboJumbo kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.

 

Are you sure that this is actually a GTX1080Ti and that this card was working before with the 500.xx series driver?

Yup, I'm dumb. Got my systems/GPUs mixed up. GTX680.

 

I'm struggling to figure out how to reinstall the older driver version now if you're able to assist on that front

  • Author
4 minutes ago, gronfors said:

I'm struggling to figure out how to reinstall the older driver version now if you're able to assist on that front

Please try this, the issue is that I only show the latest 8 drivers in the plugin and the 470 driver version is on position 9 or even lower (I will maybe change that so the 470 driver shows up all the time, but that this will take a few days).

To install the 470 series driver issue this command:

sed -i "/driver_version=/c\driver_version=470.141.03" /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg

from a Unraid terminal, after that go to the plugin page or simply reload it and click "Update & Download" (please note that none of the radio buttons should be selected).

 

After you did that you should see that it downloads driver version 470.141.03 (please note this will only work on 6.11.5) after it finished downloading reboot your system.

19 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please try this, the issue is that I only show the latest 8 drivers in the plugin and the 470 driver version is on position 9 or even lower (I will maybe change that so the 470 driver shows up all the time, but that this will take a few days).

To install the 470 series driver issue this command:

sed -i "/driver_version=/c\driver_version=470.141.03" /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg

from a Unraid terminal, after that go to the plugin page or simply reload it and click "Update & Download" (please note that none of the radio buttons should be selected).

 

After you did that you should see that it downloads driver version 470.141.03 (please note this will only work on 6.11.5) after it finished downloading reboot your system.

 

It's just saying can't download with this

 

Thanks for the support!

 

image.png.dfd0c165f3cbab2f65f1e1efc03fb2dc.png

  • Author
49 minutes ago, gronfors said:

It's just saying can't download with this

Give me a bit, I‘m currently not at home, will try that when I got home and report back.

I cannot get my GPUs to work with unraid Plex for transcoding

GPUs - 2 x 2080ti

Unraid 6.11.5

Plex Media Server 1.31.1.6733 - with Paid Plex Pass

Nvidia Driver, version: 2022.10.05

Latest v530.30.02

Plex:

I have "use hardware acceleration when available" and "use hardware-accelerated video encoding" checked off

Extra Parameters - "--runtime=nvidia"

Variable

Key: NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES

Value: GPU-33e41560-619f-f101-a85d-9046d4be040c

Description: NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES

 

Neither one of the GPU works

Suggestions on where to fix next?

  • Author
4 minutes ago, The Acer said:

Neither one of the GPU works

Suggestions on where to fix next?

Please post your Diagnostics. Without them I can‘t say anything.

  • Author
14 minutes ago, The Acer said:

Plex Media Server 1.31.1.6733 - with Paid Plex Pass

Is this the official container?

 

14 minutes ago, The Acer said:

Description: NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES

You are missing as mentioned in the second post of this thread:

NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES=all

 

Both of your GPUs are recognized and ready to transcode:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Rev. A] [10de:1e07] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Rev. A] [3842:2484]
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
	Kernel modules: nvidia_drm, nvidia
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:10f7] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. TU102 High Definition Audio Controller [3842:2484]
01:00.2 USB controller [0c03]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 USB 3.1 Host Controller [10de:1ad6] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. TU102 USB 3.1 Host Controller [3842:2484]
	Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
01:00.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 USB Type-C UCSI Controller [10de:1ad7] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. TU102 USB Type-C UCSI Controller [3842:2484]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Rev. A] [10de:1e07] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Rev. A] [3842:2489]
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
	Kernel modules: nvidia_drm, nvidia
02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:10f7] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. TU102 High Definition Audio Controller [3842:2489]
02:00.2 USB controller [0c03]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 USB 3.1 Host Controller [10de:1ad6] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. TU102 USB 3.1 Host Controller [3842:2489]
	Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
02:00.3 Serial bus controller [0c80]: NVIDIA Corporation TU102 USB Type-C UCSI Controller [10de:1ad7] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. TU102 USB Type-C UCSI Controller [3842:2489]

 

It seems to me that there is something wrong with the configuration from the container itself.

 

As mentioned above, please try to official Plex container if you are not already using it and add the variable.

  • Author
15 hours ago, gronfors said:

It's just saying can't download with this

Sorry for the delayed answer...

 

I've pushed a update to the plugin where you now can select the driver version 470.xx

Please update the plugin and see if it fixes the issue for you.

On 2/28/2023 at 1:57 AM, ich777 said:

First of all I would strongly recommend that you remove the nvidia.conf file in the modprobe.d directory, you are not using the OpenSource Driver module...

 

Have you yet tried to boot with CSM (Legacy) instead of booting with UEFI mode? Please also make sure that you are on the latest BIOS version, that you've enabled Above 4G Decoding and Resizable BAR Support in the BIOS.

 

I would also try to switch from MACVLAN to IPVLAN in the Docker settings first.

 

Is this only happening with Tdarr (if yes, IIRC this is nothing new that Tdarr can crash your server but TBH I really don't know if that was fixed already).

Have you yet tried to disable Tdarr and see if this is happening too with Emby/Jellyfin/Plex?

 

Do you can test the card in another system (install the drivers and put some 3D load for about 10 minutes on it, something like FurMark should do the Job just fine).

I have removed the nvidia.conf file, I was planning to use the open source drivers in the future. I didn't think it would hurt leaving it in there.

 

I just changed it to CSM boot and it's working good, I am on the latest BIOS version, I have already enabled 4G decoding and Resizeable bar.

 

When the crashes happened, TDARR was not transcoding any videos and was not using the GPU at all. I just had another crash now, the TDARR docker was launched but not doing anything. The GPU utilization was 0. Should I still try to stop the TDARR docker and test?

 

It would be difficult, but I could try in a while from now. I was hoping I can passthrough the GPU into a Windows 10 VM and stress test it that way. The load on the GPU has been relatively low at 20% utilization max I've ever seen, and maybe maximum 80W I've ever seen too. Dumb question, but even if this was caused by the GPU and the GPU went haywire, wouldn't at most the dockers using the GPU crash, like TDARR? Why would the kernel crash as the kernel does/shouldn't rely on the GPU as it's running in headless mode?

 

During the crash that happened again, I stopped all docker containers and attempted to do a soft shutdown using the `powerdown` command and the `poweroff` command but nothing happened after waiting 15 minutes. I'm not good at Linux so I had to do a hard reboot.

I have a new diagnostics log for you, taken right after the crash.

dragon-diagnostics-20230302-0307.zip

  • Author
25 minutes ago, LimesKey said:

When the crashes happened, TDARR was not transcoding any videos and was not using the GPU at all. I just had another crash now, the TDARR docker was launched but not doing anything. The GPU utilization was 0. Should I still try to stop the TDARR docker and test?

Then the crash is most certainly not related to the Nvidia Driver.

 

Have you yet changed MACVLAN to IPVLAN in your Docker settings? MACVLAN is notorious to crash servers with similar Kernel panics.

 

27 minutes ago, LimesKey said:

I have removed the nvidia.conf file, I was planning to use the open source drivers in the future. I didn't think it would hurt leaving it in there.

May I ask why? The open source module has no real benefit...

I'm currently having trouble trying to update the NVIDIA driver. I am running the newest plugin, 2023.03.02.

When I select "latest" or manually select "v530.30.02" it still acts like it is trying to download v470.141.03 and spits out "Can't download Nvidia Driver Package v470.141.03". Is this a plugin error or something with my server?

Screenshot 2023-03-02 101652.png

Screenshot 2023-03-02 101612.png

  • Author
1 hour ago, tusculumgolfer said:

When I select "latest" or manually select "v530.30.02" it still acts like it is trying to download v470.141.03 and spits out "Can't download Nvidia Driver Package v470.141.03". Is this a plugin error or something with my server?

I can't reproduce this on my end, I've even tried to downgrade to the driver version 470.141.03 and then set it again to latest and it properly downloaded the latest (v530.30.02) driver version.

@ich777 Thanks a lot for your answer before. I was able to compile and load the vGPU guest drivers, and they're working fine. However, I have some questions:

1) Can I post the scripts and steps to make the packages in this thread? (the user must provide the driver package from nvidia, the scripts do not download any drivers)

2) I'm using your plugin to load and manage the GUID of the GPU for docker, however I'm having an issue with the GUID: it resets every time the vm does a cold boot, which is an inconvenience, and I'm not sure about the cause of this.

Edited by midi

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.