[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

Hey

I recently upgraded from a R720 to an R730. I have a P40 that was working just fine in the R720 but now the furthest i can get is the Nvidia SMI error message in the Plug in. P40 is present in PCI IOMMU devices. I've tried multiple things including legacy boot and re enabling the PCI slot and re installing the plugin. I've looked at the supported drivers for the P40 thinking it may no longer be supported but it was working just fine in the R720 less than a week ago.

ryan-diagnostics-20240602-1929.zip

7 hours ago, PeeweeStew said:

but it was working just fine in the R720 less than a week ago

I hope you can see what the issue seems to be:

Jun  2 19:25:54 Ryan kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:82:00.0: GPU does not have the necessary power cables connected.
Jun  2 19:25:54 Ryan kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:82:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x24:0x1c:1556)
Jun  2 19:25:54 Ryan kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:82:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0

2 minutes ago, shiftylilbastrd said:

I keep getting an error message every time there's a driver update. I've received the same error for the last 4 or 5 updates. Not sure how to troubleshoot this. 

Can you please post your Diagnostics?

25 minutes ago, shiftylilbastrd said:

This is really strange, it also seems like you have enough space on your USB Boot device.

Have you yet tried to click the download button manually? Can you also share a screenshot from your whole Nvidia driver plugin page please?

Are you also sure that the server has exclusive access to the Internet and is not behind any AdBlocking software or similar?

Is maybe something on your network using GitHub API calls or is the GitHub API maybe blocked?

The plugin makes use of the GitHub API.

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you yet tried to click the download button manually? Can you also share a screenshot from your whole Nvidia driver plugin page please?

Yeah, I've been manually installing since I've been getting them.

I don't have any adblockers enabled. I'm a networking noob so pretty much everything is just at default settings on my Unifi system and it had been working in the past.

192-168-1-13.c3c90aa05a6e85d4ba03ed04389656a8be5effec.myunraid.net_Settings_nvidia-driver.png

1 minute ago, shiftylilbastrd said:

Unifi

Maybe that's the cause of the issue but I don't think so, please keep an eye on it.

It should work if you select the Production Branch, however it won't do much if you just use the card for transcoding to always be on the latest driver.

It is also safe to stay on the latest branch (with this you ensure that if you upgrade to a newer Unraid version that it will the latest version that is available for that version) and disable update checking or simply set a static driver version.

4 hours ago, shiftylilbastrd said:

I do have production branch selected.

I see that but I really don't know why it fails on your machine.

The way the check works is that it checks for updates between 8 and 10 am by getting the latest version for the branch that is selected and if a newer version is found what you are using it is pulled down and message is sent to the user that the new driver is download.

The message that you see is generated when the download from the driver fails.

Please note that the driver needs about 250MB of free space on your USB Boot device.

BTW, you have a lot of FSCK files on your boot device, this indicates an issue with your USB Boot device however this is out of the scope from this thread.

Hi to everyone. One question there I have faced issue when ffmpeg (inside fileflow docker) give me an error about outdated drivers for nvec encoding (required 520 minimum). But I have only 515.43 available in Nvidia driver settings, while I can see latest 555.52 linux driver on Nvidia web site available. 

Is this my issue? Or it is not available for installation with Nvidia drivers plugin?

NVDA.JPG

1 hour ago, ionedji said:

Is this my issue? Or it is not available for installation with Nvidia drivers plugin?

On what Unraid version are you? :D :P

The latest drivers are only available on newer Unraid versions.

Please post your Diagnostics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, ich777 said:

On what Unraid version are you? :D :P

The latest drivers are only available on newer Unraid versions.

Please post your Diagnostics.

I`m on v6.9.2. I got your point. But why? How unraid version correlates with available nvidia drivers? Sorry if it`s a dumb question :)

46 minutes ago, ionedji said:

I`m on v6.9.2.

This version is really outdated, we are now approaching Unraid 7.0

How unraid version correlates with available nvidia drivers?

Because the Nvidia driver needs to be compiled explicitly for each Kernel version (most of the Unraid releases have a different Kernel verions).

So to speak I compile the latest Nvidia drivers as long as a Unraid version is on the stable branch but when a new Unraid version (with a different Kernel version drops) I drop the older Unraid version and compile the drivers for the new Unraid version this also means if a new driver is released you see the new driver for the newer Unraid version but not for the old version.

Hope that makes sense (I think I explained that already somewhere here or in another thread).

Sorry if it`s a dumb question :)

May I ask a dumb question? Why are you still on Unraid v6.9.2? :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, ionedji said:

"Don`t touch it, till it works" - this is my credo :)

I'm not sure if that's a good credo because when you skip to much updates it can also be hard to upgrade to the latest version.

That's only my opinion.

• Like 1

Not sure what to do about this, anyone know?

"

plugin: installing: nvtop.plg Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks plugin: downloading: nvtop.plg ... done Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks plugin: XML file doesn't exist or xml parse error Executing hook script: gui_search_post_hook.sh Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

"

unRaid 6.12.10

NVIDIA Driver: 555.52.04

I've been seeing this issue for a few weeks, however haven't had time to diagnose it.

Jun 17 08:54:09 Kerbyserver kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: Failed to copy vbios to system memory.
Jun 17 08:54:09 Kerbyserver kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x30:0xffff:976)
Jun 17 08:54:09 Kerbyserver kernel: NVRM: GPU 0000:01:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 1

I have a A4000 - This is working fine, the A2000 suddenly dropped off one evening and I can no longer see the card in the nvidia plugin. 

Ive tried production branch, new feature and latest. All give the same error. I cant see any issue with Bios settings.

Im pretty sure this happened very shortly after my update to 6.12.10

kerbyserver-diagnostics-20240617-0854.zip

1 hour ago, kerbys said:

I have a A4000 - This is working fine, the A2000 suddenly dropped off one evening and I can no longer see the card in the nvidia plugin. 

Did you upgrade your BIOS? Did you change any BIOS settings? Did you change any Hardware?

Do you have another Computer to test the card with?

I didn't do any changes to the BIOS. Hardware, I did make changes days before it stopped working, but it just decided to unregister itself. Im not 100% that it hasnt just "died", but since ive got this in my colo which isnt easy to get hands on with currently. Was going to try some testing before i go the hands on route.

Since others have seen similar problems, also the device is seen in the hardware list. 

If you are just as confused as me ill wait till im next onsite and ill bring the card home :)

4 minutes ago, kerbys said:

Im not 100% that it hasnt just "died"

That was my suspicion but I really would recommend to test the card in another machine first.

6 minutes ago, kerbys said:

Since others have seen similar problems, also the device is seen in the hardware list. 

I haven't seen that exact error yet, just because you see it in the device list doesn't mean it is working properly.

If everything else is working I don't think it's a Firmware issue from the Motherboard, depending on the Hardware changes that you made.