[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

10 hours ago, Valiran said:

My quadro WAS bound to VFIO but it wasn't anymore when I sent Diagnostics.

But from what I saw in the Diagnostics it was still bound to VFIO from what I saw in your Diagnostics.

I assume you haven‘t rebooted after you‘ve unbound the GPU from VFIO?

6 hours ago, Valiran said:

So the plugin is only there for Docker.

Please go to the first post of this thread and read the black text below the headline.

After 2 days of pulling my hair out, I managed to have plex use my P400 Quadro Nvidia card for transcoding.

I went through a lot of troubleshooting, scrubbed the internet for answers, tried using different docker images for plex....

I tested adding Device variable to the container, in all its shapes and syntaxes, made sure it is visible to the container (could see it in the container, but plex would not use it)

And in the end, what worked, was adding this precise and specific Extra Arguments to the plex container:

--runtime=nvidia --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri

Worth mentioning I also have the Nvidia extra variables added aswell, but until I added "--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri" on top of the --runtime=nvidia, it did not use the card.

40 minutes ago, Epoustoufflante said:

And in the end, what worked, was adding this precise and specific Extra Arguments to the plex container:

Have you yet seen the second post where it is exactly described what to do step by step for Emby/Jellyfin/Plex?

40 minutes ago, Epoustoufflante said:

--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri

You don't have to add that, this is only for Intel and AMD GPUs.

Please remove that, adding this won't change anything in terms of transcoding, at least not for Nvidia.

I am really new to all this, but my understanding about the use of this plugin is to enable transcoding of movies/videos when using apps like Plex. If I only have one video card in my Unraid server, how can I use it for both Plex and VMs? As I understand it, this plugin can only be used for Plex, but not if I want to use the same video card for a vm. If I want to create a VM, do I need to pass through the video card to it in order to see the VM? If so, what do I need to do to be able to use the video card for both Plex and VMs (though I don't think I would be running the vm and Plex at the same time)? Sorry, if this seems like a really silly question, Like I said I am really new to all this stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Erich
clarification
14 minutes ago, Erich said:

I only have one video card in my Unraid server. I would like to be able to use it for both Plex and VMs, but as I understand it, this plugin can only be used for Plex, but not if I want to use the same video card for a vm. So my question is, what do I need to do to be able to use the video card for both Plex and VMs (though I don't think I would be running the vm and Plex at the same time)?

What about if you run plex in your VM

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Erich said:

what do I need to do to be able to use the video card for both Plex and VMs (though I don't think I would be running the vm and Plex at the same time)?

At the same time, not possible as you've already pointed out.

First of all: I really don't recommend doing this since this can cause hard server crashes and other funky behaviors (not to speak about the possible risk of data loss).

Install the Plugin, configure your Plex container correctly, don't bind your card to VFIO and assign your card to the VM.

Please never try to transcode a movie through Plex while the GPU is still used in the VM, never start a VM when you are currently using the card for transcoding in Plex and so on, I think you get the point here.

Again, I don't recommend doing it that way, maybe look if you can get another GPU for Plex transcoding, do you have a Intel iGPU that you can maybe use for transcoding?

Thank you for your response. I don't have another video card and my CPU does not have integrated graphics (Ryzen 7 5700X). So do I understand correctly that I can still use the video card for a VM as long as I don't use it concurrently with Plex?

If so, that was my plan all along anyway, so that would be great. :)

1 minute ago, Erich said:

So do I understand correctly that I can still use the video card for a VM as long as I don't use it concurrently with Plex?

Yes, but please be really careful with that and I also can't guarantee that it works, sorry but no support from my side...

I would rather recommend that you look out for something like a Nvidia T400, you can get them for really cheap, doesn't need external power and for transcoding it is well enough.

Just now, Erich said:

Thanks. I am using a Nvidia T400, but I only have one 16x slot available in my MB (the other PCIe is only x4), so I don't think I can add another one.

Maybe see if the slot has a open back x4 is well enough for transcoding, even x1 is enough... btw. you could also use a riser

Oh, I didn't know I could use the T400 with an x4 slot. the x4 is a full PCIe 16, so I would be able to physically add another T400. So then I would use the PCIe 16 x16 as the card for the vm and be able ot run the vm and Plex concurrently, if I need to (though not likely)?

1 hour ago, Erich said:

Oh, I didn't know I could use the T400 with an x4 slot. the x4 is a full PCIe 16

No issue there, you even can it with a x1 slot from my testing.

1 hour ago, Erich said:

So then I would use the PCIe 16 x16 as the card for the vm and be able ot run the vm and Plex concurrently

Exactly, but it also doesn't matter which card you use for what since this card is not that powerful but preferably you would put the card for the VM in the x16 slot because I assume the other PCIe slot (also x16 in terms of width) which is eclectically wired as x4 is running over the chipset.

44 minutes ago, Erich said:

What graphics card would you recommend for VMs? Would another T400 work for this, or is there something better?

This always depends on your workload, there is always something better... :)

Don't know if you are happy with the T400 why buying something that's more expensive? Of course you can buy a RTX 3050, 3060 or even higher, maybe you want to try the new ARC Intel GPUs... That's all up to you. :)

On 9/28/2022 at 9:13 PM, ich777 said:

Execute this command from a Unraid terminal and reboot afterwards:

sed -i "/disable_xconfig=/c\disable_xconfig=true" /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg

Ok will try this and report back, sorry for not checking your message for so long.

Edit: @ich777  boot monitor with really old ATI PCI video card now works, thanks.

Edited by Paul_Ber
Now solved
  • Like 1

08:06:01:      GPU 0: Bus:41 Slot:0 Func:0 NVIDIA:7 TU106 [Geforce RTX 2060]
08:06:01:       CUDA: Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'libcuda.so':
08:06:01:             libcuda.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
08:06:01:             directory
08:06:01:     OpenCL: Not detected: clGetPlatformIDs() returned -1001
08:06:01:FS00:Initialized folding slot 00: cpu:10
08:06:01:WARNING:FS01:No CUDA or OpenCL 1.2+ support detected for GPU slot 01: gpu:41:0 TU106 [Geforce RTX 2060].  Disabling.
08:06:01:WU00:FS00:Starting

I am seeing this when I try and use my GPU in Folding at home. I assume because it is recognizing that there is a GPU, there is a driver issue.

I included pics of the config for the docker and the way I set the Nvidia variables.
I am on driver 515.76
using Unraid 6.11.1

Let me know if I can provide any more info
Thanks

Screenshot 2022-10-08 021346.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-08 021046.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-08 020959.jpg

46 minutes ago, tower defense said:

I am seeing this when I try and use my GPU in Folding at home. I assume because it is recognizing that there is a GPU, there is a driver issue.

Is the GPU recognized correctly in the Plugin?

If the GPU is correctly recognized and listed on the Plugin page then please post on the appropriate support thread from the container because the driver is indeed working and this issue is related to the container since this is also the log output from the container.

• Thanks 1

I dont know what happend.

I just upgraded to latest unraid and GPU transcode has stopped, but hard stoped, i cant play any movies anymore via plex. (normal it would just not use transcode?)

Anyway...

[Req#118/Transcode/ec33qfmi88cv4bzjjq1ohr2i/b6bfb839-e15b-4bae-bf0c-9c6a65ed0751] [AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x154e61322780] Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).

[Req#11d/Transcode/ec33qfmi88cv4bzjjq1ohr2i/b6bfb839-e15b-4bae-bf0c-9c6a65ed0751] Failed to set value 'vaapi=vaapi:/dev/dri/renderD129' for option 'init_hw_device': I/O error

[Req#13d/Transcode/ec33qfmi88cv4bzjjq1ohr2i/b6bfb839-e15b-4bae-bf0c-9c6a65ed0751] Device creation failed: -5.

I dont know where to start. Your plugin seems to be able to see the card normally. No other erros and shinobi seems to be working with the card okay 

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 515.76       Driver Version: 515.76       CUDA Version: 11.7     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce ...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 20%   34C    P0    N/A /  75W |    584MiB /  4096MiB |      0%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A     26480      C   ...gins/yolo/shinobi-yolo.js      455MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A     28870      C   /usr/bin/ffmpeg                   127MiB |

1 hour ago, nuhll said:

I dont know where to start. Your plugin seems to be able to see the card normally. No other erros and shinobi seems to be working with the card okay 

Seems like this is not related to the plugin since the card is recognized and working in other containers.

I would recommend that you post your logs and everything on the appropriate Plex support thread.

1 hour ago, nuhll said:

[Req#118/Transcode/ec33qfmi88cv4bzjjq1ohr2i/b6bfb839-e15b-4bae-bf0c-9c6a65ed0751] [AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x154e61322780] Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).

[Req#11d/Transcode/ec33qfmi88cv4bzjjq1ohr2i/b6bfb839-e15b-4bae-bf0c-9c6a65ed0751] Failed to set value 'vaapi=vaapi:/dev/dri/renderD129' for option 'init_hw_device': I/O error

[Req#13d/Transcode/ec33qfmi88cv4bzjjq1ohr2i/b6bfb839-e15b-4bae-bf0c-9c6a65ed0751] Device creation failed: -5.

Just a little hint from my side, it seems that Plex tries to utilize VAAPI instead of NVENC.

7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Seems like this is not related to the plugin since the card is recognized and working in other containers.

I would recommend that you post your logs and everything on the appropriate Plex support thread.

Just a little hint from my side, it seems that Plex tries to utilize VAAPI instead of NVENC.

Afaik u cant say what plex should use. So what does that mean?

Whats Vaapi? Ive removed dev dri, which was working fine, just to be sure.

Did the latest patches change anything GPU related? Oo I think i was on 6.10

Edited by nuhll