[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

10 minutes ago, carnivorebrah said:

What is the recommended card?

This always depends on the use case, in my case I've got a Nvidia T400, low power consumption (35W max TDP), really affordable (even back in the GPU crisis about ~120,- brand new), no external power needed, based on Turing <- but take that allwith a grain of salt, I don't need more than 3 simultaneous transcodes and for that the card is perfect...

The GT710 isn't even capable of h.265 (HEVC) and Nvidia already and threw it already last year out of their "Production Branch" drivers.

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

This always depends on the use case, in my case I've got a Nvidia T400, low power consumption (35W max TDP), really affordable (even back in the GPU crisis about ~120,- brand new), no external power needed, based on Turing <- but take that allwith a grain of salt, I don't need more than 3 simultaneous transcodes and for that the card is perfect...

The GT710 isn't even capable of h.265 (HEVC) and Nvidia already and threw it already last year out of their "Production Branch" drivers.

Are you transcoding 1080p or 4K with it?

I'm transcoding 4K, and I could have up to 3 streams at once, but usually just 1 or 2.

I was hoping to have something that could handle that, and have room to grow as I share with more and more people.

From what I can find through searching, it looks like the GTX 1660 may be the most comparable non-Pascal card to the P2000. So, I may just go with it seeing as I'm having bad luck with the Pascal card.

EDIT: Well, never mind. That card requires doing something that I'm not even allowed to talk about on here, and can't find through simple searching. At this point I'm ready to just shut it down and sell it for parts.

Edited by carnivorebrah
On 11/3/2022 at 10:19 AM, ich777 said:

Are you really sure that you have enabled Above 4G Decoding and Resizable BAR Support?

Please double check if you have any other options for BAR or something like 64bit support in the BIOS.

Please also try to disable to onbaord Aspeed AST graphics if possible to see if this makes any difference.

I'm pretty certain that a setting in the BIOS is wrong, please also update your BIOS since you are on version P1.20 where P1.50 is available.

I finally got it to work, and as the dev I thought you should know in case you run across someone else asking at least with my motherboard (asrock rack x570d4u).

No matter what pcie gen 4 card I put it it would do the same thing, no video out and unraid would see it but the nvidia app wouldn’t. With a pcie gen 3 card it worked fine.

I had to completely disable CSM and at least on my board I specifically set the slot the GPU is in to UEFI. I was able to get video out and the driver saw it no problem. I knew it was something simple. 

Thank you for your time! And sorry about the thing which shall not be named, part of the reason I went with a Quadro card anyway (a2000) especially now that they’re around $300 on eBay they are the perfect plex card. 

Thanks!

Edited by gamertaboo
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, carnivorebrah said:

From what I can find through searching, it looks like the GTX 1660 may be the most comparable non-Pascal card to the P2000.

The T400 should handle 3x 4k just fine and I already tested this (this depends on the bitrate too but should handle it fone when it‘s nothing too special HFR…)

The T400 is almost the same as a GTX1660 in terms of transcoding.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2022 at 3:08 PM, ich777 said:

Seems like something went wrong with the driver download, please reboot, maybe the reboot will take a bit longer since the plugin tries to download the driver on start too (as long as you have a active internet connection on boot) if it failed like in your case.

Please report back if it is working afterwards, if not I would recommend to uninstall the plugin and pull a fresh copy from the CA App.

Everything worked just fine after the reboot. 🙂 Thanks for your great job ich777! 🙂

• Like 1

So I am hoping there is something obvious I am missing here. My GTX650ti stopped working after a small series of power bumps a few days ago and I cannot figure out how to get it back. I know it is not a great GPU and all of that but it is what I have right now and it was working fine before. I plan on getting a QUADRO P400 soon to replace it but I would like to figure this out before then. I have attached my Diagnostics:

diagnostics-20221112-0904.zip

I have updated the plugin and made sure the spaceinvaderone scripts are gone to see if that helped from previous posts in this thread. Still seeing "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running."

I had just upgraded to Unraid 6.11.3 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DirtyApparition
adding details
1 hour ago, DirtyApparition said:

I had just upgraded to Unraid 6.11.3 if that makes any difference.

You have the weong driver installed for such an old card.

Please install the 400-series drivers which are available on the plugin page and reboot afterwards.

1 hour ago, DirtyApparition said:

I plan on getting a QUADRO P400

I would rather recommend that you watch out for a Nvidia T400 since this card is Turing based an can be found brand new for about 120,-

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please install the 400-series drivers which are available on the plugin page and reboot afterwards.

I would rather recommend that you watch out for a Nvidia T400 since this card is Turing based an can be found brand new for about 120,-

Well that did it. Thanks for the quick and awesome response. I knew it would be something staring me right in the face. I wonder if when I upgraded the Unraid OS, the plugin manager snagged the newest NVIDIA drivers? I might have done it at some point too not even thinking about it but either way all good now. Thanks again.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:48 AM, ich777 said:

I picked up a p400 for around 40 bucks shipped, has been working well for me.

• Like 1

Hello, I need help!

I cannot start PLEX after adding the command '-- runtime=nvidia'. I find the error code 'docker: Error response from daemon: Unknown runtime specified nvidia.'

After restarting the server, it is found that it does not work; These are some conditions of my server. Please help me find out where the error occurred;

Thank you for your efforts! thank you!iShot_2022-11-17_00_40_54.thumb.png.4a7ab16fd70fd0983054992bafcee562.pngiShot_2022-11-17_00_41_29.thumb.png.cb08d79f94a64537cec75862027bbd12.pngiShot_2022-11-17_00_34_51.thumb.png.951108293c8e2e1110785b9aea1c358c.pngiShot_2022-11-17_00_36_32.thumb.png.532725e99c402dbd0e531862ffd04036.pngiShot_2022-11-17_00_43_11.thumb.png.42e8993b5d9ab1cad85477d009c7a6ff.pngiShot_2022-11-17_00_42_42.png.34d753d40e6b57ce2f49d2c3a18c9d44.png

nas-un-diagnostics-20221117-0037.zip

1 hour ago, JasonVei said:

I cannot start PLEX after adding the command '-- runtime=nvidia'. I find the error code 'docker: Error response from daemon: Unknown runtime specified nvidia.'

Have you followed the first thread from this post?

Tesla cards are not supported by this plugin, only consumer cards are supported, you can get a full list of supported cards here: Click

I would strongly recommend that you upgrade to 6.11.2

10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

您是否关注了这篇文章的第一个主题?

此插件不支持 Tesla 卡,仅支持消费卡,您可以在此处获取支持卡的完整列表:单击

我强烈建议您升级到 6.11.2

Oh, sorry, I didn’t pay attention to that topic. I noticed that some friends’ videos mentioned that Tesla cards can work on PLEX. Thank you for your answer. I’ll go and have a look at that topic.  Thanks again!

50 minutes ago, JasonVei said:

I noticed that some friends’ videos mentioned that Tesla cards can work on PLEX.

Sure thing, they can work but not with that driver, Tesla cards are somewhat niche...

Maybe try to use a consumer card to get it working, Quadros are supported too by the plugin, please take a look at the link that I've posted in my last post at the supported products.

Hi All,

I have just installed a 1660Super into my Unraid (6.11.4) server and am following the process outlined in this thread to get it up and running, but am experiencing a few issues.

Although my GPU is shown in my system devices, once I have installed the nvidia-driver (driver 525.53) plugin, anytime anything interacts with the GPU the whole server hands and i need to reboot. This is both with the array started and stopped.
This includes:
- Generating diagnostics (when nvidia-driver is installed)
- Launching the plugin settings page

The devices is shown in System-devices as:
[10de:21c4]    1c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER] (rev a1)

A few notes:
I am running under vmware, but pass-through works seamlessly on 3-4 other devices including PCI devices, and iGPU.
I have attached the diagnostics I can access, but I cannot generate them with the plugin install, as it gets stuck on nvidia-smi.txt

Appreciate any advice :)

Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 10.01.25 pm.png

tower-diagnostics-20221119-2354.zip

6 hours ago, mustava said:

I am running under vmware, but pass-through works seamlessly on 3-4 other devices including PCI devices, and iGPU.

I really can't tell what's going on when using a VM Ware and this can indeed cause issues, I remember someone running ESXi a few pages back and he has similar issues but I really don't know what he did so that he solved the issue.

I also see this and this is definitely not right:

1c:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER] [10de:21c4] (rev a1)
	DeviceName: pciPassthru2

• Like 1
On 11/20/2022 at 6:34 AM, ich777 said:

I really can't tell what's going on when using a VM Ware and this can indeed cause issues, I remember someone running ESXi a few pages back and he has similar issues but I really don't know what he did so that he solved the issue.

I also see this and this is definitely not right:

1c:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER] [10de:21c4] (rev a1)
	DeviceName: pciPassthru2

After some further research, it seems to be a Linux/Unix/VMware/Nvidia driver issue. GPU works fine passed through to windows.

As per the previous users issues, apparently driver version 460 was the last confirmed working. Apparently the new beta versions worked if the opensource kernel modules are used?

Edited by mustava
3 minutes ago, mustava said:

As per the previous users issues, apparently driver version 460 was the last confirmed working. apparently the new beta versions worked if the opensource kernel modules are used?

But this is a VM Ware issue from what I know and yes, the 460 drivers will work indeed IIRC.

The open source driver module is planned to be used at some point but it is not ready for deployment yet because of this issue on GitHub: Click (please also remember that the open source driver module is mostly meant for data centers cards).

However if you run Unraid on bare metal this card will also work just fine.

Hi All,

I have been using Unraid for a long time with Plex now, but want to share my movies with others too, so want to transcode movies for them and also 4k movies for myself.  So wanted to try and give this transcode another go. I have been watching and follow SpaceInvader One's vid :

I had some issues yesterday in trying to set it up (I didn't see the Nvidia Visible Devices in my current Plex docker - Plex Inc's own). So I tried going through the Linux Plex app, which wouldn't show the Nvidia visible devices line either. So then I was looking for answers and came accross this topic. 

Since I saw multiple answers involving the Binhex Plex app, I decided to give that a go. It worked and I input the GPU info and everything in the "edit docker", continued setting up (make a new library,..) and verifiying it worked with HW encoding, ALL DANDY, it worked, I saw the "(hw)" and saw in the unraid dashboard that the GPU was being used!  Then I knew my 'watched info' would be gone and it would be nice to retain that, so using Krusader, I moved over the Plex Media Server file from the old Docker (Plex Inc's own) to the new one- YES, it worked and I could see the movies I had been watching with history, etc.  However, Transcoding didn't work anymore with hardware, also in the dashboard (unraid), I couldn't see the GPU turning on when invoking the transcode process. I verified in Plex itself and hardware transcoding ticks are on. Also in the docker, I can see my (correct) GPU info and everything, but I can't get it to work. I have tried all day to get it to work, fresh installing another Binhex Plex docker, but nothing seems to work with the HW transcoding..

I have the same GPU as in the example here - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB.

My Mobo is Gigabyte X79-UP4 with Intel Core i7-4930K @3.40GHz and 32GB of RAM

GPU is also shown in the dashboard with the Fan power, load etc.

I have the Plex Premium lifetime subscription or whatever it is called and also an Unraid Pro account.

I can't really figure out why I can't get it to work anymore. Does anyone happen to have an idea what I am missing or doing wrong?

As stated, setting up a brandnew, fresh Plex docker app doesn't get it working either (and I have an issue from Plex Dashboard that Plex is not working remotely, can't seem to get around that part either).  However, on the Binhex Plex that I made yesterday (and was working with HW, copied over the old PMS info through Krusader), I do have the Plex server working remotely.  I have stopped "Plex Docker 1" to work on "2" and vice versa, so there weren't multiple Plex dockers running at the same time.

Thanks in advance, 

best regards,

DrBobke

leonore-diagnostics-20221121-1337.zip

Edited by DrBobke
edit - attached diagnostics
42 minutes ago, DrBobke said:

(I didn't see the Nvidia Visible Devices in my current Plex docker - Plex Inc's own)

What do you mean exactly with that?

Have you already read the second post from this thread?

I can't really figure out why I can't get it to work anymore. Does anyone happen to have an idea what I am missing or doing wrong?

I think since you've only watched the Youtube video I would really recommend to read the first two posts how to set it up (the first two posts are really detailed) and I would strongly recommend that you stick to the official Plex container if it was working for you.

I have stopped "Plex Docker 1" to work on "2" and vice versa, so there weren't multiple Plex dockers running at the same time.

This is no issue at all, you can use the card for many containers as you wish as long as you don't exceed the transcoding limit from three simultaneous transcodes at the same time.

It would be also helpful what kind of format you are trying to transcode (h264, h265,...)?

You can also open up a terminal, even before you start a transcode, from Unraid and type in:

watch nvidia-smi

this will display the live stats from your GPU, but keep in mind that it will only update every two seconds, you can close the window when you want to end this process.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ich777 said:

What do you mean exactly with that?

Have you already read the second post from this thread?

I think since you've only watched the Youtube video I would really recommend to read the first two posts how to set it up (the first two posts are really detailed) and I would strongly recommend that you stick to the official Plex container if it was working for you.

This is no issue at all, you can use the card for many containers as you wish as long as you don't exceed the transcoding limit from three simultaneous transcodes at the same time.

It would be also helpful what kind of format you are trying to transcode (h264, h265,...)?

You can also open up a terminal, even before you start a transcode, from Unraid and type in:

watch nvidia-smi

this will display the live stats from your GPU, but keep in mind that it will only update every two seconds, you can close the window when you want to end this process.

YOU ARE A KING!!!  Thank you sooooo much. I totally missed the second post.  I had a few issues, but it seems to be working now, so hopefully, we can keep that up.  I am sorry that you had to spend your time because I wasn't paying enough attention to the post.

It is very rare that someone actually posts an answer on this forum that actually helps me, so THANK YOU!!!

Maybe slightly off topic here, but I seem to have issues with opening the Plex docker (it is started) via my browser . In the Plex app itself, in the settings, I go to Network and then "Secure connections" - I can do everything when it is on preferred, but can't seem to access it via my web browser when I put it on 'required'. I didn't check on other devices right now, but I have to copy over the entire PMS folder from another Plex server (which I am not using) and change all the libraries and some other settings.  Any ideas on that? I can't seem to find a good topic with the same issues.  Or you wouldn't recommend me putting that on required? (I want to share my libraries with some select friends).

• Like 1
15 hours ago, ich777 said:

But this is a VM Ware issue from what I know and yes, the 460 drivers will work indeed IIRC.

The open source driver module is planned to be used at some point but it is not ready for deployment yet because of this issue on GitHub: Click (please also remember that the open source driver module is mostly meant for data centers cards).

However if you run Unraid on bare metal this card will also work just fine.

is there anyway i can force the plugin to use the old 460 drivers?

My GTX 1070 freezes within the first 10-15 mins of transcoding a video.  NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] (rev a1)

Running the official Plex Docker and transcoding to ram using /dev/shm

This started after moving from 6.11.2 to 6.11.4 and I haven't had any trouble before what appears to be the last upgrade. Syslog is dropping this error:

Nov 22 18:57:04 SassNAS kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 31, pid=18411, name=Plex Transcoder, Ch 00000008, intr 10000000. MMU Fault: ENGINE GRAPHICS GPCCLIENT_T1_8 faulted @ 0x1_86c13000. Fault is of type FAULT_PDE ACCESS_TYPE_WRITE

Ive tried the Latest and Production branches but nothing changes.  Not sure if this is a driver or RAM problem.

sassnas-syslog-20221123-0118.zip

Edited by Jacon