[Plugin] DVB-Driver

ich777

It's a few days ago and I tried a lot of things to get this running, PLUS I am an old guy 😉, but as far as I can remember, the driver did not install automatically. 

I think, I had an "unknown device" in device manager and installed via "Get driver", pointing to the directory of the unpacked driver. After this, it installed without any problem. 

But this behaviour is not that uncommon to me, regarding windows driver installations... 

• Thanks 1
It's a few days ago and I tried a lot of things to get this running, PLUS I am an old guy , but as far as I can remember, the driver did not install automatically. 

I think, I had an "unknown device" in device manager and installed via "Get driver", pointing to the directory of the unpacked driver. After this, it installed without any problem. 

But this behaviour is not that uncommon to me, regarding windows driver installations... 
May I ask for another favor?
Have you got another machine where you can try the card and see if the subsystem PCI ID is the same as in your server?

I'm really curious about this because the subsystem PCI ID is not like in your system 8888

Sent from my C64

I just had a Phone Call with TBS distibution in Germany to clarify what the problem with this card is. 

And indeed, they already knew about the issue.

There has been a mistake in the firmware flashing with the last productions series of theese cards. 

As the very friendly guy at TBS could see by the serial number of my card, my card was the second in this series of cards with the wrong hardware-id. 

He told me, that there will be a new driver with this hardware-id included. Perhaps there will be also a firmware update, that corrects the id. But this is not sure atm. 

• Like 1

I think, that would be nice, especially according to upcoming unraid updates. 

With the right Hardware-ID, there would be no need to build special drivers for any new unraid version. 

I am on a business trip until Monday, so if anyone gives me instructions how to do it, I am willing to flash the firmware next week. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I am currently trying to set up my "Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD" DVR card using LibreELEC drivers. Upon server startup the card gets recognized and passed through to TvHeadend correctly. However, after sitting idle for some time I am unable to connect to any of my streams and the card no longer shows up in the Plugin as well. 

Pastebins taken before restart (card idle):

https://pastebin.com/JXSxZwek

https://pastebin.com/0Ng3v0LB

https://pastebin.com/fjAkT3HG

Also, my TvHeadend log is full of "Poll timeouts" (see attached screenshot).

Currently running 6.10rc2. 

Any idea what might be causing this? Is the driver not compatible with rc2?

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 08.10.15.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 08.20.59.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 08.20.32.png

28 minutes ago, nuuskaz said:

Pastebins taken before restart (card idle):

Please paste pictures or logs directly here into the forums by pressing CTRL + V or by putting the logs in a file and dropping them here in the text box.

29 minutes ago, nuuskaz said:

Any idea what might be causing this? Is the driver not compatible with rc2?

If your card is recognized and working for some time the driver is working, something else causes this.

Was it working before on older versions on unRAID, if yes, have you changed anything to the system (BIOS Updated, installed new hardware,...)

Please post your Diagnostics.

Thanks for the fast response! 

Sorry, I was only using Pastebin because of the instructions provided on the initial post:

On 11/16/2020 at 9:24 PM, ich777 said:

in a textfile or a link to pastebin (simply to not spam the thread with the output).

Nonetheless, I have added textfiles with the contents of the previous post. Furthermore, please find the requested diagnostics attached to this post as well (plugin currently showing Kernel module & Version).

22 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Was it working before on older versions on unRAID, if yes, have you changed anything to the system (BIOS Updated, installed new hardware,...)

I have only set up everything using 6.10rc2 so I can't compare to other older versions. However, if nothing else helps I am willing to downgrade and try 6.9.2 in order to see if the problem persists. Can't think of any BIOS updates or changes recently, so that shouldn't be the cause. Or can you think of a setting that might send the card into some kind of sleep mode? 

What I have done are some changes to my Syslinux configuration (see screenshot). 

No new hardware either. 

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 09.19.41.png

unfractal-diagnostics-20211210-0916.zip dmesg.txt lsusb -v.txt lspci -v.txt

7 minutes ago, nuuskaz said:

Sorry

No worries.

8 minutes ago, nuuskaz said:

I have only set up everything using 6.10rc2 so I can't compare to other older versions. However, if nothing else helps I am willing to downgrade and try 6.9.2 in order to see if the problem persists.

I don't think that anything will change if you downgrade to 6.9.2, I've looked around and found some issues that are the same as yours but found no solution.

Do you need all those options in your syslinux.conf:

intel_iommu=on video=efifb:off acpi_enforce_resources=lax

Maybe try to start removing them, I think you are using efifb:off to pass through the iGPU to a VM? I would also recommend to not use acpi_enforce_resource=lax because this can actually cause issues and maybe damage the hardware if something is accessing your system wrong...

Are you sure that the card is actually working and not has some kind of issue with the firmware or hardware because I see this in the log:

mpeg risc op code error

Maybe try to swap the PCIe slot if possible.

Also make sure that you are on the latest BIOS version.

Also a little side note, please remove those two lines from your go file since you are using the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin:

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

17 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I don't think that anything will change if you downgrade to 6.9.2

Alright.

17 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Maybe try to start removing them

I have removed both of them and can confirm that everything's still working as expected. 

18 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are you sure that the card is actually working

Currently streaming Arte HD on my iPhone using Plex connected to TvHeadend using Antennas. So I assume it is working, for now. 

21 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Also a little side note, please remove those two lines from your go file since you are using the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin

Thanks for the heads-up!

I'll report, should I encounter the "idle" problem again. For now I have attached the diagnostics after implementing the recommended changes and system restart. Like I mentioned, card is working at the moment. 

unfractal-diagnostics-20211210-1000.zip

35 minutes ago, nuuskaz said:

I'll report, should I encounter the "idle" problem again. For now I have attached the diagnostics after implementing the recommended changes and system restart. Like I mentioned, card is working at the moment. 

Still the same in the logs:

Dec 10 09:59:30 unFRACTAL kernel: cx23885: cx23885[0]: mpeg risc op code error

Don't know if this will effect the function of the card itself.

Also make sure that you are on the latest BIOS version, this could also be an issue within the BIOS or a setting that needs to be changed in the BIOS.

Do you need this too in the syslinux.conf:

intel_iommu=on

2 hours ago, ich777 said:
acpi_enforce_resources=lax

I remembered what I needed this for. The "Dynamix Auto Fan Control"-Plugin. Without that line I can't let the plugin control the fans. The PWM-controller doesn't show up. But that's another topic. 

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Also make sure that you are on the latest BIOS version

I have just updated the BIOS version. As far as I can tell nothing changed. The mpeg-error still persists. The diagnostics are attached. 

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Don't know if this will effect the function of the card itself.

What I have come across are two threads mentioning the same issue with this card. Both come up with different solutions, which I have not yet tried. Others propose contacting the motherboard manufacturer and request a BIOS-update. Should I try that? Or do you have any other suggestions? Screenshots of the threads are attached as well.

https://github.com/b-rad-NDi/Ubuntu-media-tree-kernel-builder/issues/17

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/hauppauge-wintv-quadhd-mpeg-risc-op-code-error.98793/

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Do you need this too in the syslinux.conf:

Removed this as well. Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 10.59.32.png

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 11.03.36.png

unfractal-diagnostics-20211210-1211.zip

I remembered what I needed this for. The "Dynamix Auto Fan Control"-Plugin. Without that line I can't let the plugin control the fans. The PWM-controller doesn't show up. But that's another topic. 

Yes, I know, but I really don't like that people doing that. With this option software can actually damage hardware...

For the first solution:

I think you have the exact opposite from it since it tells you to use:

intel_iommu=off

(but this should not be the solution to your issue I think)

For the second solution:

You can do that on unRAID too if you add this to your syslinux.conf "cx23885.dma_reset_workaround=2", like in this screenshot:

grafik.png.532b7688264c568a7d33a1c972b77c98.png

EDIT: Sorry for not seeing that earlier, you are booting with UEFI or am I wrong?

Can you try to boot with Legacy (CSM) Mode? Maybe that solves the issue.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

add this to your syslinux.conf "cx23885.dma_reset_workaround=2"

Will give it a try and report. 

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Yes, I know, but I really don't like that people doing that. With this option software can actually damage hardware...

Do you have another solution in mind? Can I manually edit the sensors in order for the controller to show up? 

I can also open a new topic if you want to discuss this there. 

2 minutes ago, nuuskaz said:

Do you have another solution in mind? Can I manually edit the sensors in order for the controller to show up? 

No, but I have to say it is very unlikely that some software damages your hardware but with this option it can happen, I only want to point this out... ;)

13 minutes ago, nuuskaz said:

Will give it a try and report. 

Have you seen my EDIT in the previous post:

21 minutes ago, ich777 said:

EDIT: Sorry for not seeing that earlier, you are booting with UEFI or am I wrong?

Can you try to boot with Legacy (CSM) Mode? Maybe that solves the issue.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Have you seen my EDIT in the previous post:

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I've just checked it out. Yeah you're right, I am in fact booting in UEFI-mode. Tried changing to legacy but my USB-Drive wouldn't show up. For now only UEFI works. Will try with a different one as soon as I get the chance to do so. 

1 hour ago, nuuskaz said:

add this to your syslinux.conf "cx23885.dma_reset_workaround=2"

However, this seems to have done the trick! The mpeg-error does not longer show up in the syslog. DVB-card works too. Let's hope it stays that way. 

Nonetheless, thanks a lot for helping @ich777 ! Enjoy the weekend.

unfractal-diagnostics-20211210-1414.zip

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am building a new server and I will need the DVB driver to allow me to use HD-PVRs to record TV shows with the SageTV docker.  I believe that DVB also gives FireWire support that I will likely use to change channels on my cable boxes which have this functionality.  My old server is still on 6.4.5 and uses the old DVB plugin methodology.

What version of unRAID should I install?  Should I go with 6.9.2 or should I jump right to 6.10 as it seems  to be almost ready to go.  If I wanted to go with 6.10, is the DVB plugin supported in 6.10 right now.

1 hour ago, wayner said:

What version of unRAID should I install?  Should I go with 6.9.2 or should I jump right to 6.10 as it seems  to be almost ready to go.  If I wanted to go with 6.10, is the DVB plugin supported in 6.10 right now.

You can go with whatever version you want.

Currently the build process is fully automated, if everything goes how it should, without compilation errors, the build of all plugins should be finished after an hour after a new version from unRAID is released. But I would recommend that you wait for two hours to be on the safe side (I also have to say that I'm from middle Europe and new unRAID builds are released when I'm sleeping).

I also build the plugins for every version since 6.9.0-beta35 for every stable, next and test branch.

If a plugin build fails the worst thing that can happen is that the plugin errors out and the containers won't start.

1 hour ago, wayner said:

I believe that DVB also gives FireWire support that I will likely use to change channels on my cable boxes which have this functionality.

I think that you have to install the FireWire plugin in addtion to the DVB plugin and you should be good to go.

Hope that answers all your questions. :)