[Plugin] DVB-Driver

ich777

6 hours ago, wayner said:

Thanks ich, so you have a build for the DVB plugin 6.10rc2? 

Yes.

The DVB plugin has so called "packages" for all unRAID versions back to 6.9.0-beta35 and up to the latest release.

Simply install the plugin (you have to be on a recent vercen from unRAID to see it in the CA App) and it will grab the appropriate version and also update itself to a newer version if you uprade unRAID itself.

Hello

When I scan for channels in TVHeadEnd - I do not get any HD channels.

Can you help me please?  It says DVB-T and not DVB-T2 and I think the UK channels I want are DVB-T2

I am using Binhex-tvheadend, as the other one seems no linger supported

I am using a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-5525

https://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hvr5525.html

I am using a SV9460 aerial

https://www.oneforall.co.uk/tv-aerials/sv-9460-amplified-indoor-tv-aerial#/step-1

image.png.59a3e969106d9213ec9e2b188bcef89b.png

7 hours ago, SmokeyColes said:

I am using Binhex-tvheadend, as the other one seems no linger supported

Which one is no longer supported? Do you mean the plugin or the Linuxserver one?

7 hours ago, SmokeyColes said:

Can you help me please?  It says DVB-T and not DVB-T2 and I think the UK channels I want are DVB-T2

This shouldn't matter.

Please disable the DVB-C tuner if you want to use it only for DVB-T this will/can cause issues too.

Also make sure that you've assigned the right Muxes to the DVB-T tuner, there should be presets for your country.

Hi

I got it working thank you, well partially - I still cant find DVB-T2..

I have disabled DVB-S and DVB-C for now in the TV adaptors tab, and I am using a docker of Binhex-tvheadend which I found in the UNRAID app store, and downloaded.  Its in UNRAID > DOCKERS,

As I don't believe the issue is the driver now, I've joined tvheadend to ask for help; post is here:

https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/46466

Thank you for enabling this driver.  If however I have no luck with the DVB-T2 and TVheadend, can I pass this to a VM to try NextPVR (which seems to have great reviews and regular updates). 

How would I do this to a Windows VM?  I saw it doesn't show in other PCI devices, would I pass it through - I am assuming its IOMMU 27 and I just have to tick the checkbox to make it show as an Other PCI device?  Then install the driver in Windows.

Please forgive my lack of understanding of what your driver is doing - I am guessing its only for the use of dockers in UNRAID, and if I passed it through to the VM - I'd have to disable the driver.

(If I cant get tvheadend working correctly)

image.thumb.png.c732461e657798f3e6570286b401e8a1.png

Edited by SmokeyColes
25 minutes ago, SmokeyColes said:

I got it working thank you, well partially - I still cant find DVB-T2..

You should be able to find it since the card can receive DVB-T2, even here my DigitalDevices cards doesn't show up as DVB-T2 in TVHeadend but I can receive channels just fine from DVB-T2.

Thank you for enabling this driver.  If however I have no luck with the DVB-T2 and TVheadend, can I pass this to a VM to try NextPVR (which seems to have great reviews and regular updates).

As said above this should work perfectly fine but sure, you can pass it through to a VM.

But also keep in mind that TVHeadend is also well maintained and receives regular updates.

How would I do this to a Windows VM?  I saw it doesn't show in other PCI devices, would I pass it through - I am assuming its IOMMU 27 and I just have to tick the checkbox to make it show as an Other PCI device?  Then install the driver in Windows.

Simply bind it to VFIO and then you will see it in the VM template and you can assign it there.

Please forgive my lack of understanding of what your driver is doing - I am guessing its only for the use of dockers in UNRAID, and if I passed it through to the VM - I'd have to disable the driver.

Exactly.

(If I cant get tvheadend working correctly)

I would really recommend to use a container since a VM only for one tuner (that splits into a maximum of 4 I think from the specification) is a little overkill and also TVHeadend should work pretty well.

I have a setup with 4x DigitalDevices DVB-C/T/T2 cards now running for almost 6 or 8 years (can't remember exactly) and about 3 years from that time period on unRAID with TVHeadend where I can stream up to 8 different channels simultaneous and haven't got any issue so far.

19 minutes ago, SmokeyColes said:

and if I passed it through to the VM - I'd have to disable the driver.

if you passthrough the card to a VM you rather disable the DVB Driver plugin as its then all done in the VM

21 minutes ago, SmokeyColes said:

Thank you for enabling this driver.  If however I have no luck with the DVB-T2 and TVheadend

may start over again by wiping docker and appdata and start with the wizard, i assume you have a proper dvb-t2 Antenna plugged in as dvb-t2 needs better reception quality ... compared to dvb-t

i dont know the standards in the UK, just to make sure the hardware is properly assigned.

• Like 1

Thanks @ich777 for the work on this!

I'm not getting my WinTV quad to show in binhex Plex docker. Does show in TV headend. I saw this was a issue a few pages back...did anyone sort this out? I've tried passing the /dev/dvb value both ways and it doesn't appear when adding in Plex. 

Edit- On official docker for Plex is DOES appear, so I guess it's a docker issue. If there is some magic to make it appear in @binhex version that would be greatly appreciated! If not, I guess I need to switch my entire install over to that. Uuuugh...Please let me know how much beer and/or coffee this will take! :)

Edited by dja
Additional info
12 minutes ago, dja said:

Edit- On official docker for Plex is DOES appear, so I guess it's a docker issue. If there is some magic to make it appear in binhex version that would be greatly appreciated! If not, I guess I need to switch my entire install over to that. Uuuugh...

Maybe @binhex can help with that but I would recommend to make a post on the official support thread from the container since this is not related to the plugin.

@alturismo can maybe also help, he uses Plex with TVHeadend and xteve if I'm not mistaken...

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, ich777 said:

@alturismo can maybe also help, he uses Plex with TVHeadend and xteve if I'm not mistaken...

54 minutes ago, dja said:

I'm not getting my WinTV quad to show in binhex Plex docker.

@ich777 i guess he wants to use his DVB Card directly in Plex and not through TVHeadend and then proxied to Plex, i guess he just tested in TVHeadend and official Plex if his setup works (DVB Driver in Docker), or am i wrong @dja ?

22 minutes ago, alturismo said:

@ich777 i guess he wants to use his DVB Card directly in Plex and not through TVHeadend and then proxied to Plex, i guess he just tested in TVHeadend and official Plex if his setup works (DVB Driver in Docker), or am i wrong @dja ?

No, sorry for the confusion. I do not have TVHeadend installed now, I only added that as a troubleshooting step to verify the DVB was showing in docker- then I removed it. 

I read previously in the thread that the official Plex docker worked but @binhex Plex docker did not, I can confirm that.  I tried the official Plex docker and it is working. I have moved Plex server from a Windows install before so I guess it wouldn't be terrible to do via Docker and a NVME cache drive.

Hardest thing is walking all my family/friends through adding a new server again...that's painful! lol  Maybe there is a way to move the files/config without adding a new server name, but my Plex Docker'Fu isn't that good. 

2 hours ago, alturismo said:

may ... how did you add the dvb device ? as extra parameter ?

--device=/dev/dvb

or as device in the normal add another ... potion in the docker setup ?

For the standard plex docker just as extra parameter.  I added my nvidia card as well for testing. Both worked as added.
--device=/dev/dvb/  --runtime=nvidia

For binhex I added both ways, as a variable and extra parameter. Tried both separately and together. 

Edited by dja

Hello

Thank you so much for this , I used to install your custom unraid builds with my card before , I haven't been using the DVB much but now installed my card in a new server , it's a PCI-E card but showing in the plugin as usb , my card is TeVii Satellite Card S482 DVB-S2 PCIe Dual Tunner , screenshot attached and the output of the two commands as well 

Thanks

Rami

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 3.20.46 pm.png

dmesg.txt lspci -v.txt

2 hours ago, Ramiii said:

Hello

Thank you so much for this , I used to install your custom unraid builds with my card before , I haven't been using the DVB much but now installed my card in a new server , it's a PCI-E card but showing in the plugin as usb , my card is TeVii Satellite Card S482 DVB-S2 PCIe Dual Tunner , screenshot attached and the output of the two commands as well 

Thanks

Rami

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 3.20.46 pm.png

dmesg.txt 97.87 kB · 2 downloads lspci -v.txt 30.07 kB · 0 downloads

Please also include your Diagnostics.

Is anything not working?

40 minutes ago, Ramiii said:

everything is working fine on my server, tried all drivers none of them worked

I really don't understand what you mean, does it work properly? It uses a USB tuner because of this (this is a snippet from your syslog):

mc: Linux media interface: v0.10
dw2102: su3000_identify_state
dvb-usb: found a 'TeVii S482 (tuner 1)' in warm state.
dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 1, initialized 0
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (TeVii S482 (tuner 1))
usb 1-1: media controller created
dvb-usb: MAC address: 00:18:bd:5b:be:23
dvbdev: dvb_create_media_entity: media entity 'dvb-demux' registered.

This card actually has a USB hub on it and uses USB tuners: Click

You should be able to use it in TVHeadend, or what is the exact issue here?

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I really don't understand what you mean, does it work properly? It uses a USB tuner because of this (this is a snippet from your syslog):

mc: Linux media interface: v0.10
dw2102: su3000_identify_state
dvb-usb: found a 'TeVii S482 (tuner 1)' in warm state.
dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 1, initialized 0
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (TeVii S482 (tuner 1))
usb 1-1: media controller created
dvb-usb: MAC address: 00:18:bd:5b:be:23
dvbdev: dvb_create_media_entity: media entity 'dvb-demux' registered.

This card actually has a USB hub on it and uses USB tuners: Click

You should be able to use it in TVHeadend, or what is the exact issue here?

Sorry if my reply is confusing 

Before this used to be recognised as a regular DVB and not USB, it's not working within unraid OS , TVHEADEND doesn't recognise it . but when I created a regular ubuntu vm and passed it through ( to test if the hardware is working ) it worked fine 

21 minutes ago, Ramiii said:

Sorry if my reply is confusing 

Before this used to be recognised as a regular DVB and not USB, it's not working within unraid OS , TVHEADEND doesn't recognise it . but when I created a regular ubuntu vm and passed it through ( to test if the hardware is working ) it worked fine 

My bad , I figured it out 

I was trying to set it up using the old way and tvheadend docker , but I tried the tvheadend plugin instead and it's working now 

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience 

Thanks

Rami

3 minutes ago, Ramiii said:

I was trying to set it up using the old way and tvheadend docker , but I tried the tvheadend plugin instead and it's working now 

Wait, the default way is to use in a Docker container not in the plugin, have you passed over the path /dev/dvb to the container?

37 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Wait, the default way is to use in a Docker container not in the plugin, have you passed over the path /dev/dvb to the container?

my tvheadend docker container doesn't bring up the web interface for some reason and I can't figure it out , plugin is working now though

1 hour ago, Ramiii said:

my tvheadend docker container doesn't bring up the web interface for some reason and I can't figure it out , plugin is working now though

Wouldn't it be better to make the Docker work again, don't know if the plugin is actively maintained anymore.

Wouldn't it be better to make the Docker work again, don't know if the plugin is actively maintained anymore.

I think so yes. I’m using the Linux server one but it’s not working for some reason. They have the /dev location built in. But the server doesn’t start
14 minutes ago, Ramiii said:

They have the /dev location built in. But the server doesn’t start

Can you force an update from the container and post what the output is (go to the Docker page, turn on Advanced View, click on grafik.png.7debd95ad968d63f2343ef31f3ce9a90.png and copy all the text from the appearing popup, there will be the exact error displayed why the container won't start).

34 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you force an update from the container and post what the output is (go to the Docker page, turn on Advanced View, click on grafik.png.7debd95ad968d63f2343ef31f3ce9a90.png and copy all the text from the appearing popup, there will be the exact error displayed why the container won't start).

there is no error , the container starts fine , but the web interface doesn't open , no error message