[Support] ich777 - Jellyfin AMD/Intel/Nvidia [DEPRECATED]

19 minutes ago, OrdinaryButt said:

The official has a newer "last updated" date - perhaps they modified something.

Nope, not really...

This is their automatic build system, nothing changed in terms of the application itself.

I've now also tested it and can spot no difference...

20 minutes ago, OrdinaryButt said:

On the Docker Tab, CPU and Memory column (advanced view toggled).

This has nothing to say about the VAAPI transcoding, this is only the Audio decoding that is done over the CPU.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

Nope, not really...

This is their automatic build system, nothing changed in terms of the application itself.

I've now also tested it and can spot no difference...

This has nothing to say about the VAAPI transcoding, this is only the Audio decoding that is done over the CPU.

I never said it has to do with the VAAPI transcoding. I said it uses less resources. Was I wrong (presuming the numbers I given you are correct)?

9 minutes ago, OrdinaryButt said:

I said it uses less resources.

Don't get me wrong but you can use whatever container you want and if the official container uses less resources on your system I would recommend sticking to the official one if it does the job fine for you. ;)

As said above, I can spot barely a difference between my container and the official one, about 1% difference sometimes the official one higher and sometimes my container higher.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

Don't get me wrong but you can use whatever container you want and if the official container uses less resources on your system I would recommend sticking to the official one if it does the job fine for you. ;)

As said above, I can spot barely a difference between my container and the official one, about 1% difference sometimes the official one higher and sometimes my container higher.

I am not getting you wrong, sounds like you did though. Wasn't complaining but rather providing some feedback that could be helpful to someone. There is a reason I specified my hardware as results could differ from system to system. The TV tuner I use is HDHR Connect Quadro (for future reference).

I am grateful, cause you did answer my initial problem (VAAPI instead of QuickSync like the OP says).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, OrdinaryButt said:

I am not getting you wrong, sounds like you did though. Wasn't complaining but rather providing some feedback that could be helpful to someone.

No worries, no issue here. :)

1 minute ago, OrdinaryButt said:

There is a reason I specified my hardware as results could differ from system to system. The TV tuner I use is HDHR Connect Quadro (for future reference).

Just out of curiosity I've now tried it on my test server - Asrock J3710 - and I can't spot a difference there...

I'm using it there also in combination with TVHeadend, a DVBSky DVB-C card and imported the channels to Jellyfin via xml TV.

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

No worries, no issue here. :)

Just out of curiosity I've now tried it on my test server - Asrock J3710 - and I can't spot a difference there...

I'm using it there also in combination with TVHeadend, a DVBSky DVB-C card and imported the channels to Jellyfin via xml TV.

It could be the TVTunner difference. Is yours sending you MPEG2?

9 minutes ago, OrdinaryButt said:

It could be the TVTunner difference. Is yours sending you MPEG2?

I aslo think so that there has to be some kind of difference but I'm not too sure what it is.

I'm not to sure what it sends, the TVCards takes the stream that is sent in and hands it over to Jellyfin through TVHeadend (no tronscoding in TVHeadend either), so yes I think it's MPEG2 because this is a international standard.

In my main server I use DigitalDevices DVB-C cards.

On 2/9/2022 at 7:37 AM, Macleod76 said:

I had a server crash and in the process of fixing all of it. Before the crash Jellyfin and video transcode through my nvidia 1080i was working perfectly. Now when i have transcoding turned on, by video is distorted. Everything i have tested so far is h264, which is checked marked in my jellyfin settings. I have tripple checked all of my settings, and everything seems to be correct. If i turn off transcoding, the videos play without any distorting. I am not having the same issues with plex. Any thoughts or ideas?

Yes, its likely that your transcoding speed got changed, in jellyfin under playback settings you could increase the transcoding speed and this removes distortion, it should be set to fast, mine distorts on medium and I have high end brand new hardware so the medium setting is probably bad for others too. if fast doesnt work then set it to faster and re-test. post your results here. Quality will go down a little with faster transcoding but it should take care of pixelation and distortion in playback of HEVC or H264 Remember, too slow, it pixelates and distorts and too fast it makes the video fuzzy so you will need somewhere in the middle to get proper playback.

Edited by RYZEN5000
On 2/7/2022 at 2:04 PM, ich777 said:

Yes, that is something I would hope... :)

This is a good question, it could also be that (I think you are running a Ryzen APU...) your CPU doesn't like the input format, have you yet tried a differnt browser if the same happens there too?

Also maybe try to change the transcoding quality to a different setting and see if this makes any difference...

The last update to the container was pushed about two weeks ago...

After the update happened heres what happened, somehow transcode speed which is normally set to faster in playback dashboard became set to medium and this brought huge problems in video playback until I turned it back. There is a bunch of speed settings I can see very slow, medium, fast and faster and very fast and superfast and ultrafast. I find mine plays perfectly on faster setting and pixellates and distorts playback on anything slower. Too fast and it reduces quality I got mine right in the middle. This is with a brand new server. Ryzen 5800X 32 GB ram 48TB disc plus 4 extra bays so capacity 130 tb and 5.5 TB cache MSI 1050Ti OC Nvidia 750 modular AGK power supply. 9 cooling fans 4 of them are 200mm the rest 3 140mm and 2 120mm with blue and RGB Enterprise EXOS 16 TB drives My favorite drives in the whole world. Super performance and speed is fantastic, transfer rates are 1.4 GB/s when transferring to cache enabled drives and 284 to 300mbs when transferring to disks directly, read is less at 181mbs but write speeds are where my server really pleases me. The ryzen 5800X is a monster, I had a r5 5600G and it maxed out during jellyfin media library scans. the R7 5800X runs at about 30% during most very intensive activities and I highly recommend that cpu for unraid, it runs everything alot faster and more stable than any other CPU I have tested. It idles doing a few tasks at 2% usage and 5600G uses 11% for idle. I got my problem all fixed now but I have another quest and thats to save space by encoding all my media to AV1 but I cant get Jellyfin to add it to the media library so thats another thing I am reading about all over to try to find answers. Mabye its just too soon to use this codec and not propper support, but it sure plays good on media player in windows size of the file went from 336 MB to 144MB it is the Next generation of media codec and we will all be wanting to use it because it will cut our media storage demands in less than half size

5 hours ago, RYZEN5000 said:

I got my problem all fixed now but I have another quest and thats to save space by encoding all my media to AV1 but I cant get Jellyfin to add it to the media library so thats another thing I am reading about all over to try to find answers. Mabye its just too soon to use this codec and not propper support, but it sure plays good on media player in windows size of the file went from 336 MB to 144MB it is the Next generation of media codec and we will all be wanting to use it because it will cut our media storage demands in less than half size

AV1 is the successor to the VP9 codec if I'm not mistaken. I really don't know when or if it ever will take off and get more popularity because so less devices supports this codec.

I would recommend to not convert your whole media library, at least not yet, to this format because even if Jellyfin would support it the most devices out there doesn't support it either and that means that you have to transcode each indiviual file back to h264 or h265 and that is counterproductive because not much hardware supports encoding (even decoding -> only supported on RTX3000 series so far and no encoding on the RTX3000 series) and uses way more energy than if you have the files on h265 which most devices supports by now.

Please keep also in mind that I'm not the developer from Jellyfin, if you got a feature request head over to the Jellyfin Github and create an issue there: Click

Another issue has popped up. I can not watch live tv from outside my network anymore. The only way i can view a channel is if i turn in to the same channel as that someone on my network is watching. It acts like i only have 1 tunner turned on, but i allow 5 in xteve, and unlimited in Jellyfin. This is happening in apps as well as web browsers, so clearing the cache is not really an option for the apps. I even deleted and reinstalled the app. I also had a friend log into my server for the first time today and could not stream live tv.

Im getting a couple log messages:

[20:37:56] [INF] [25] Jellyfin.Api.Auth.CustomAuthenticationHandler: CustomAuthentication was not authenticated. Failure message: Invalid token

Jellyfin.Api.Auth.CustomAuthenticationHandler: AuthenticationScheme: CustomAuthentication was challenged

46] Jellyfin.Server.Middleware.ExceptionMiddleware: Error processing request: Could not find file '/config/transcodes/09f0f9b8f0a64d87822bee769a2a4eed.ts'. URL GET /LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/09f0f9b8f0a64d87822bee769a2a4eed/stream.ts.

Jellyfin.Server.Middleware.ExceptionMiddleware: Error processing request: Request does not contain a token. URL GET /502.html.

Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.TranscodingJobHelper: Transcoding kill timer stopped for JobId 1510ec9c7558494199972e95289cda21 PlaySessionId b277e6b553c949178beeacf62ac7a654. Killing

I appreciate the help.

On 2/13/2022 at 11:09 PM, ich777 said:

Does this happen on all devices or just on one device?

What does exactly freeze? Audio, Video or both?

Maybe try to create a screen capture or something like that and send me a PM with the capture.

Does this happen with all media, h264, h265, h265 HDR?

Sorry that i forgot to respond to this, got sick and didnt get on my computer much. A simple restart of the jellyfin server fixed the freezing issue.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ich777 said:

What tuners are you using or how did you integrate it?

This seems like a configuration issue since on my server it works just fine with TVHeadend and 4 Tuners.

Im using a IPTV service with exteve. It worked in the past. I have Cloudflare setup. I think this stopped working when my Transcoding stopped working. (an issue you and i worked through as well). The cloudflare service is working fine because i or myself can log into the server from outside my network and watch video files, but we cant load any live tv channels unless i pick the exact one that someone inside my network is watching. I also think it is a configuration issue.

1 hour ago, Macleod76 said:

It worked in the past

From the error it seems that something with the transcoding is failing.

May be try to stop the container, delete the whole cache folder for Jellyfin and start the container again.

Don't know if something is wrong with the permissions or anything else.

Can you try to force a transcode from a file in your local network (click on the gear icon when playing a file and change the quality to something lower than the source)?

On 2/20/2022 at 11:28 PM, ich777 said:

AV1 is the successor to the VP9 codec if I'm not mistaken. I really don't know when or if it ever will take off and get more popularity because so less devices supports this codec.

I would recommend to not convert your whole media library, at least not yet, to this format because even if Jellyfin would support it the most devices out there doesn't support it either and that means that you have to transcode each indiviual file back to h264 or h265 and that is counterproductive because not much hardware supports encoding (even decoding -> only supported on RTX3000 series so far and no encoding on the RTX3000 series) and uses way more energy than if you have the files on h265 which most devices supports by now.

Please keep also in mind that I'm not the developer from Jellyfin, if you got a feature request head over to the Jellyfin Github and create an issue there: Click

I hope they support AV1 before I run out of room, I only have 48TB and 5TB SSD Cache and I am using 21TB right now but its filling up fast with my new ultraseedbox and a 50gbit connection. I can't wait to covert my media to save more space than HEVC because my server only holds another 4 disks roughly. If I can potentionally save 60 pecent room with AV1 I'll be set. OF course the jellyfin media player supports HEVC but it will need to direct play AV1 before I convert because I only have a 1050Ti OC NVIDIA which gets eaten up pretty good during a few streams of transcoding. I'm already planning on adding more to my 9 bay 3.5 case, I see I can buy stackable double disc drive bays for 20 bucks, goal is to add at least 20, 16 TB, or 20TB drives even if I have to run more drives from a drive box and use long sata cables to connect the box to my server and it would have its own dedicated power supply. I can't stop torrenting, thats all I have been doing in my free time I{ have 167 tv series and 2000 movies in 1080P and 850 XXX 1080p videos. and God help me if I have to delete any of the XXX to save room, please.....no.

Edited by RYZEN5000
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

From the error it seems that something with the transcoding is failing.

May be try to stop the container, delete the whole cache folder for Jellyfin and start the container again.

Don't know if something is wrong with the permissions or anything else.

Can you try to force a transcode from a file in your local network (click on the gear icon when playing a file and change the quality to something lower than the source)?

Figured out the problem. in Xteve, under playlist tuner, my tuners were set to 1 there as well. I forgot you had to set the number of tuners  here as well. For some reason everything related to my Jellyfin server lost all of its settings. Its been a pain getting everything back up and running. Thanks again for your support.

• Like 1
Just now, RYZEN5000 said:

I hope they support AV1 before I run out of room

I would strongly recommend to not convert everything into AV1 just yet and wait if there comes something up new that maybe is better and/or establishes itself more than AV1.

Also as said once, barely any device supports AV1 in hardware and that means you have to transcode every single stream to the devices again on your server and that would be a real pain I think...

17 hours ago, ich777 said:

I would strongly recommend to not convert everything into AV1 just yet and wait if there comes something up new that maybe is better and/or establishes itself more than AV1.

Also as said once, barely any device supports AV1 in hardware and that means you have to transcode every single stream to the devices again on your server and that would be a real pain I think...

Yes, I dislike transcoding its too intensive on resources. I will wait till I see them make it common or come out with something better. I won't convert my media yet. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Tery said:

I have Unraid 6.9.2 on h87 motherboard and Core i5-4790.

Please look at this table which will show the capabilities from your CPU (Haswell): Click

10 minutes ago, Tery said:

h265

Is not possible with this CPU since its basically to old. From what I know it even struggles sometimes with some higher tier h264 files.

Are you really sure that this happens on your system with h264 files too?

• ich777 changed the title to [Support] ich777 - Jellyfin AMD/Intel/Nvidia [DEPRECATED]
  • ich777 locked this topic