VirtualBox in unRAID

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been trying to get my DVD drive to work in virtualbox for the last few weeks (a SATA drive connected to my motherboard). The solution turned out to be compliling a kernel with CD/DVD support since those options are not enabled in the stock unraid kernel.

To get this to work I used the unraid 5.0-beta14 config file and compiled it on a slackware 13.1 virtual machine with the following options enabled.

Device Drivers ---> SCSI device support --> SCSI CDROM support

File Systems --> CDROM DVD Filesystems --> ISO 9660 CDROM filesystem support and Microsoft Juliet File System Support

Since I didn't make many changes and didn't include these as modules all I did afterwords was copy the new bzimage to boot on my flash drive and reboot. When I start virtualbox the host DVD drive is available along with passthrough. This allows me to burn and rip DVD's on a windows 7 virtual machine.

WARNING I know very little about linux. This runs on my machine without errors but I have no idea if it will work on yours. I would not recommend using this on a machine with data you care about. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment on any possible negative effects.

If after reading the warning you still want to try this I've provided a link to the bzimage for 5.0-beta14.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lphs029wsui0krh

Hi there,

I could attach my GO file if you still think it's useful, but there's no reference (yet) to VirtualBox on it. I'm trying the manual process to get it running before changing the GO file.

I followed the wiki page and created the Vbox package without issues. I got it working and succeeded to install Win XP. I then rebooted the server, log in through putty and wrote these commands (I believe these are the instructions that should go on the GO file):

cd /mnt/disk/apps/vbox (this is the location where the vbox package is)

installpkg vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz

vboxwebsrv -H 198.168.1.131 1>/dev/null 2>&1 & (to start the webserver, 198.168.1.131 is the address of my server)

This is the output:

root@Tower:~# cd /mnt/disk/apps/vbox

root@Tower:/mnt/disk/apps/vbox# installpkg vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz

Verifying package vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz.

Installing package vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Executing install script for vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz.

Package vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz installed.

root@Tower:/mnt/disk/apps/vbox# vboxwebsrv -H 198.168.1.131 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &

[1] 22855

So I got it running without any (apparent) issues however when i try to log in through phpVirtualBox I got an error message (see screenshot attached)

Untitled.jpg.5e385a1024ac6892bee2d254d45fb8e3.jpg

This is what I get:

root@Tower:/etc/rc.d/unraid.d# vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.1.131 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &

[1] 9314

root@Tower:/etc/rc.d/unraid.d# VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxManage: error: Failed to initialize COM!

[1]+  Exit 3                  vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.1.131 >/dev/null 2>&1

I just realized that once I ran the vboxwebsvr command, the proccess doesn't run for long.

I run vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.1.131 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &

and next ps aux and the last entry is

[1]+  Exit 3                  vboxwebsrv -H 127.0.0.0 >/dev/null 2>&1

I guess this means the process stops almost inmediately, right? Where can I check the logs?

How did you make your package? Did you follow the wiki steps one at a time, or did you copy the script files and just use those? It's starting to look like you are missing something in your package or something isn't getting processed correctly.

If you are using a script to help do the kernel and headers, install and create a package, why don't you post them here so we can take a look?

Earlier in the thread you said you got it working, but couldn't get it to survive a reboot. Is that still the case? Or does it never work now?

ok i belive i did everything right.. followed all the steps in the wiki.

copied the files for the gui.

installed the unmenu web package thing.

went into the webserver settings put in the location and port

clicked on it and the web interface for vbox opened and asked me to log in

i used what i guess would be

admin

admin

and now all i get is a blank greyish page

also can't access the webserver eiteher goto server:89 and get an internal server error.. restarted.. got it back, restarted the webserver thing.. and again grey page, and can't access port 89 page anymore

How did you make your package? Did you follow the wiki steps one at a time, or did you copy the script files and just use those? It's starting to look like you are missing something in your package or something isn't getting processed correctly.

If you are using a script to help do the kernel and headers, install and create a package, why don't you post them here so we can take a look?

Earlier in the thread you said you got it working, but couldn't get it to survive a reboot. Is that still the case? Or does it never work now?

I followed the steps one at a time and had no errors.

I got it working right after install and before rebooting the server. The problem is that I can't make it to work again after rebooting. I tried twice, following the wiki step by step. Both times it worked right after install, and both times failed after rebooting. I never got it to work after rebooting.

ok i belive i did everything right.. followed all the steps in the wiki.

copied the files for the gui.

installed the unmenu web package thing.

went into the webserver settings put in the location and port

clicked on it and the web interface for vbox opened and asked me to log in

i used what i guess would be

admin

admin

and now all i get is a blank greyish page

also can't access the webserver eiteher goto server:89 and get an internal server error.. restarted.. got it back, restarted the webserver thing.. and again grey page, and can't access port 89 page anymore

Something like this happened to me, I restarted the Lighttpd server and it worked then.

go to tower:2197 and restart server

bah, i can't work it out.. i did that.. plus i deleted everything and completly reinstalled everything from scratch again.. btw i can't get the scripts provided in teh wiki to work.. i get 404 errors when trying to download the packages...

and when i do it manually.. i have to leave the $ in all the lines out?

anyway after completly reinstalling i got the could not connect to host 192. ect

tried running the vboxmanage and websrv commands.. but there not recognised commands.. tried from the original directory it was run from.. tried in /boot/custom/vbox

did a windows search for that file name anywhere on the server nothing..

why does this have to be so painful

I have X7SPA motherboard which includes 2 gigabit network NICs.

I know that unraid only supports 1 NIC (the 1st one).

I want to avoid the double traffic on the 1st NIC (unraid + VM).

Can I use/configure the 2nd one to be used in the VirtualBox VM (windows 7) that I have setup on top of unraid?

Hate digging up old posts, but I was having the same issue you were and banging my head against a wall about it.  I even tried changing the chipset to ICH9, but that didn't fix it... it wasn't until I removed the sata and then readded the controller itself (you can actually readd a sata instead of using ide) that I FINALLY got past the hang up that was occuring.  I'm not 100% out of the woods yet, but Windows is actually installing so hopefully all will be well here shortly!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your post.

OK so heres the deal....

As a test, I decided to install XP rather than windows 7.  But I changed the chipset from IPP 3 (or whatever it says) to ICH.  I also noticed that when installed XP, its default is an IDE drive and not a sata drive....

INterestingly, I can stop the VM too....  so all seems well

So I went back to install windows 7, only this time, I changed the chipset to ICH and deleted the sata controller it wanted to use and replaced it with IDE.  And IT WORKS!

Which setting fixed it?  I am not sure.  The fact is I really dont care.  I cannot believe no one else had this issue.....

Now that I have the DVD drive going I'm working on USB. Does anyone have UBS devices working in a guest OS? My goal is to get wireless sync working with my ipod but it requires that I use the wire once before it will work.

I have a USB printer connected to the Windows 7 Guest OS inside VBox working great, I can even share the printer to the whole network.

To enable USB support, you need to install the VBox Extension.

It's something like this line in your go script

installpkg /boot/packagescustom/VirtualBox-4.1.12-77245-Linux_x86-unRAID.tgz
VBoxManage extpack install /boot/packagescustom/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.12-77245.vbox-extpack

And then open the Guest OS' settings page in phpvirtualbox and go to the USB section to add the device filter

phpvbox-usb.png

Hope that helps

Thanks zerenx. That is helpful in that I now know it's possible and I have a configuration issue somewhere. I think I'm following those same steps although I'm using a slightly older extension pack. When I try to add the device filter I get "no devices available". I would think it should be able to at least see the printer since I can use it through Unraid. I'll try the newer extension pack and see if that makes a difference.