bzimage checksum error

Go to solution Solved by spalmisano,

I set up a second unRAID server recently and today shut it down to add an SSD as a cache drive. On restart I get to the unRAID boot screen, get through /bzroot...ok and then end up (eventually) at an error message reading that bzimage fails its checksum and to press any key to restart. There are several pages of messages leading up to that, but the scroll is too fast to parse anything.

I installed originally as 6.9.2 and then updated to the latest release candidate.

Ive tried to boot from the USB stick in multiple ports on that server with the same issue, and its completely readable from another computer. Ive copied its contents off just in case. There doesn't seem to be a log or other diagnostic information on the boot USB.

If the bzroot executable was corrupted somehow can I simply unpack one from the RC build and copy that over? 

Any ideas are welcomed, and let me know what diagnostic info I can provide.

This server isn't doing anything critical yet, but I do want it back in action.

Thanks.

Edited by spalmisano
  • Thanks 1
  • spalmisano changed the title to bzimage checksum error
  • Solution

I was able to find a link to the zip and extract over the existing files, with the same result.

The same checksum failure also occurred when creating a fresh install of the RC using the Windows USB creator and a new USB stick.

I created another fresh install with the stable branch and it seems to be working now. I was able to transfer my license key to the new stick, and most of the Docker/VM configs were still present on boot. It rebooted successfully without intervention a few times with the new stick and stable build, so Im keeping it there instead of moving to the RC for now.

If details about the hardware or other diagnostic information would be helpful for diagnosing a potential RC issue, let me know and I’ll collect whatever is needed.

Marking as solved.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, dunklesToast said:

Having the same issue after upgrading to 6.10.0-rc2. Server won't boot due to a checksum error. Pulled the USB out of the Server and calculated the checksums myself. Can't find any issues so I wonder why this is happening on while booting the server.

image.png

Did you check your memory is OK ?

Did you try from another USB port (USB2 ideally) ?

12 minutes ago, dunklesToast said:

Yea I also use a R710. Interestingly, the update worked well for a friend of mine, @Noim who should have the identical Hardware I have.

Mod/Dev team: Sounds like there are several of us with similar gear and experiences with the RC. If you want us to supply anything diagnostic or try something that will help diagnose, let us know.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Same issue. I tried to update from 6.9.2 using web gui to 6.10.0 RC3 and at first got a boot failure. Took USB out and using the UnRaid USB creator tool, created a new USB and then copied over the customizations. Now I have the bzroot checksum error. I have a T610 , that will work fine on 6.9.2… but was really wanting to try ARM emulation… the reason for updating… I have 64Gb of Ram, and mem test passes fine. 

Edited by willum0330

I have isolated the problem to be something with the hardware virtualization that is used by UNRAID to support VMs. I started by resetting my BIOS on my T610, created a fresh USB install and booted 6.10.0 RC3 and it booted successively. I then copied over all my configurations, plugins, etc. and booted again - again, it booted successfully. I went through to see if everything was working. I noticed that my VM's hadn't come online. At the top of the web-gui, it indicated that the hardware did not support KVM. I figured at this point that the resetting of the BIOS must have disabled the virtualization options. I went in the BIOS and enabled the virtualization technology on the processor and rebooted. The UNRAID boot splash came up and continued to boot normally until it hits the bzroot checksum failed. This is the ONLY change I made, so it must be related to the enablement of the virtualization technology in the BIOS. Now what??? :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 3/15/2022 at 11:58 PM, willum0330 said:

I have isolated the problem to be something with the hardware virtualization

I think you are onto something here. I was having the same problem when i needed to replace my usb. I turned off virtualization support and was able to boot.

I went further, the kernel panic was about iommu. So I tried adding this to the boot args:

intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

I can now boot with virtualization on.

Hope this helps.

image.thumb.png.1c49f0213794de667b6b76eda2741dc6.png

Edited by antpk
Adding screenshot of boot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
On 3/19/2022 at 1:40 PM, antpk said:

I think you are onto something here. I was having the same problem when i needed to replace my usb. I turned off virtualization support and was able to boot.

I went further, the kernel panic was about iommu. So I tried adding this to the boot args:

intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

Hope this helps.

Thank you, all the thanks for this!

So, I had my 6.10rc4 stick in my T610 die. Made a new USB and ran into the issues discussed in thread. Above was fix. 

What are long term effects of adding these snippets to ARGS? They were not there before and everything was fine; prior to this USB stick dying.

Is this, above fix, going to have adverse effects or cause other issues moving forward?

• Like 1
On 3/19/2022 at 2:40 PM, antpk said:

intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

Hope this helps.

blaine07 - YOU GOT IT! Working for me as well - finally! Everything seems to be up and running and VM's came online without any complaint! Thanks for taking the time to look into this further :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 2:40 PM, antpk said:

intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

Hope this helps.

This worked AMAZINGLY!!! Thank you so much! When booting, I had to wait for it to give me my boot options for GUI/CLI/SAFEMODE, and when I saw those, I moved down with my arrow keys so it would not boot automatically. I then hovered over what I wanted to boot and hit tab. This allowed me to add the 2 arguments that you had. After wards, it booted perfectly!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thankyou very much for sharing this! It worked perfectly 🙂

I just upgraded my R710 server from 6.9.2 to 6.10.0-rc5 and ran into this exact same issue. Server wouldn't boot due to a checksum error.

image.png.62a664f6a74203e6ca061742b0fbfc5a.png

Added the 2 arguments:

intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

on the boot option by pressing tab to edit the options and the Server is up again!

image.png.8f2f2161fce471a8b402b6576e863625.png

image.png.53f4925747de8e7fe7404e552e3bf11d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 4/29/2022 at 7:16 AM, Zeroeth said:

Thankyou very much for sharing this! It worked perfectly 🙂

I just upgraded my R710 server from 6.9.2 to 6.10.0-rc5 and ran into this exact same issue. Server wouldn't boot due to a checksum error.

image.png.62a664f6a74203e6ca061742b0fbfc5a.png

Added the 2 arguments:

intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

on the boot option by pressing tab to edit the options and the Server is up again!

image.png.8f2f2161fce471a8b402b6576e863625.png

image.png.53f4925747de8e7fe7404e552e3bf11d.png

This fixed my issue on R710 with 32GB (6.10rc4)

On 4/29/2022 at 7:16 AM, Zeroeth said:

Edited by wil56k
add unraid version

Been having these same errors on my Dell R510 ever since upgrading to the 6.10 RCs a few weeks ago. I could sometimes get the system to boot and kept hoping that one of the releases would clear the issue up. I ordered a replacement flash drive thinking my drive was starting to go bad as one of the times I performed a chkdsk on the flash drive from my Windows PC and the server booted properly. This trick got the server to boot without any meddling!

My server is a Dell R510 BIOS v1.14.0

Edited by ajtish
  • 2 weeks later...