Intel Arc support

Go to solution Solved by TheIlluminate,

2 hours ago, jaimbo said:

Not really sure what the question is here?

If you follow the linked guide, you'll be compiling a 6.2.16 kernel for Unraid based on the patches etc. for Unraid 6.12.2.

It could be possible to substitute the kernel source and appropriate related directories in the commands given in the guide for a 6.3.13 kernel (I don't think 6.4 supports OpenZFS yet) but I'm by no means an expert and kernel 6.2.16 seems to be working perfectly for me.

I won't push my luck for now and will stick with kernel 6.2.16.

To do this are you saying I’d have to upgrade to 6.12.2? Given my past experience with that 6.12.1 did to my system I rolled back to 6.11.5 and don’t want to leave.

2 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

To do this are you saying I’d have to upgrade to 6.12.2? Given my past experience with that 6.12.1 did to my system I rolled back to 6.11.5 and don’t want to leave.

You could likely follow the same guide but substitute the 6.12.2 server files and the subsequent references in the commands with the 6.11.5 download and directories

I have the A380 sitting in a drawer. Honest question. Is there any quality difference between what these cards can put out vs NVENC? For all the hassle and lack of support I may just flip this card to anyone that wants it and grab a rtx 4060 (8GB) or rtx 3060 12GB. I know the 4060 has the new 8th nvenc encoder vs the 7th gen 3060 encoder but I don’t know if that’s just to add av1 support or if there an actual visual improvement.

22 hours ago, FlyingTexan said:

I have the A380 sitting in a drawer. Honest question. Is there any quality difference between what these cards can put out vs NVENC? For all the hassle and lack of support I may just flip this card to anyone that wants it and grab a rtx 4060 (8GB) or rtx 3060 12GB. I know the 4060 has the new 8th nvenc encoder vs the 7th gen 3060 encoder but I don’t know if that’s just to add av1 support or if there an actual visual improvement.

I've done some tests between an RTX 3080, a 13700K, ARC 770, and an RX6600, and tested encoding REMUXs using H265 1080p preset on Handbrake . The Intel is noticeably better quality and almost discernible from the original remuxs I have, also, the file size was better than the 3080 and the 6600. 3080 quality was far better than the AMD which was bodgie as.

I have not yet tested a 4000 series card.

I did try an ARC A770 in my 12700K build (Unraid), the card is unsupported and I could only use the Intel UHD.

My 12700K build (UHD 770) is currently running Unmanic with 8 workers on my library (H265 1080p, ICQ 28, look ahead). It's getting me around 900GB free per week working through various TV shows and movies. This is using UHD graphics. I'd say the best value for money today lies in the i5 13500, with the best core count per dollar, as well as including the UHD 770 Graphics. Note the difference if you go down to the 10 core 13400, the UHD 730 has 1 "Multi-Format Codec Engines" whereas the slightly more expensive 14 core 13500 has 2.

When testing with Handbrake, I didn't feel like there was any encoding performance difference between the Intel UHD Graphics and the ARC. The performance seems to be governed by the amount of "Multi-Format Codec Engines" available on an Intel product.

Edited by bigfresh
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, bigfresh said:

I've done some tests between an RTX 3080, a 13700K, ARC 770, and an RX6600, and tested encoding REMUXs using H265 1080p preset on Handbrake . The Intel is noticeably better quality and almost discernible from the original remuxs I have, 

Can you please confirm which Intel you're referring to here? The ARC 770 or the iGPU on the 13700K? Thanks

On 7/13/2023 at 3:40 PM, jaimbo said:

I'd tried this guide previously without any success but I've just given it a go now for 6.12.2 and it seems to be working perfectly! I can see the A380 in intel_gpu_top:

image.thumb.png.8de957626ee63379c6da0b6389e720cd.png

I've passed through /dev/dri/renderD128 to my Plex container and can select the Arc card in Plex for HW transcoding:

image.png.e7668d5d1ad163b9d4fbf5044f4daf71.png

and I can see Plex is HW transcoding and HW tonemapping as well:

image.png.fe620e89298645053a15f1c0a1a8af52.png

Amazing, very happy :) 

I'm trying out the linked guido to make my own custom kernel, I'm just using 6.12.16 like the guide says but at the point where I have to do the following commands (Using terminal on the server)

wget https://unraid-dl.sfo2.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.12.2-x86_64.zip

unzip unRAIDServer-6.12.2-x86_64.zip -d unRAIDServer cd unRAIDServer

unsquashfs -d patches bzfirmware src

cd ..

cp -r unRAIDServer/patches/src/linux-*-Unraid/. linux/

I strand on the "unsquashfs -d patches bzfirmware src"  step it says command not found what am I doing wrong?

Error message: bash: unsquashfs: command not found
cp: cannot stat 'unRAIDServer/patches/src/linux-*-Unraid/.': No such file or directory

Edited by DeadDevil6210
5 hours ago, DeadDevil6210 said:

I'm trying out the linked guido to make my own custom kernel, I'm just using 6.12.16 like the guide says but at the point where I have to do the following commands (Using terminal on the server)

wget https://unraid-dl.sfo2.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.12.2-x86_64.zip

unzip unRAIDServer-6.12.2-x86_64.zip -d unRAIDServer cd unRAIDServer

unsquashfs -d patches bzfirmware src

cd ..

cp -r unRAIDServer/patches/src/linux-*-Unraid/. linux/

I strand on the "unsquashfs -d patches bzfirmware src"  step it says command not found what am I doing wrong?

Error message: bash: unsquashfs: command not found
cp: cannot stat 'unRAIDServer/patches/src/linux-*-Unraid/.': No such file or directory

I think you are simply in the wrong directory.
I got the same issue.

Go down one directory and check for the presence of the unRAIDServer folder.

Looks like thor2002rc has posted a Linux 6.5 kernel for Unraid 6.12.3 
https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases

Has anyone gotten arc working with jellyfin yet?

I have an Intel Arc A380 (only GPU in system) and am trying to get it to work with jellyfin.

Things I have tried:

-Installing Linux 6.5 kernel
-putting "options i915 force_probe=56a5" into i915.conf under modprobe.d
-Setting Hardware acceleration to "Intel Quicksync (QSV)" in jellyfin transcodeing settings
-Adding device to container "/dev/dri/card0" and when that did not work "/dev/dri/renderD128"

Any insight would be appreciated.
BTW I am a bit of a noob

On 2023/7/17 at AM1点42分, DeadDevil6210 said:

我附上了终端的屏幕截图,我做了什么,Unsquashfs 没有做任何事情? 

截图2023-07-16 194006.png

I virtualized a ubuntu to compile the kernel. In ubuntu, you can apt-get install the corresponding package(unsquashfs). In unraid, you cannot use apt-get install.

Edited by a313403367
6 hours ago, yAyWoB said:

Looks like thor2002rc has posted a Linux 6.5 kernel for Unraid 6.12.3 
https://github.com/thor2002ro/unraid_kernel/releases

Has anyone gotten arc working with jellyfin yet?

I have an Intel Arc A380 (only GPU in system) and am trying to get it to work with jellyfin.

Things I have tried:

-Installing Linux 6.5 kernel
-putting "options i915 force_probe=56a5" into i915.conf under modprobe.d
-Setting Hardware acceleration to "Intel Quicksync (QSV)" in jellyfin transcodeing settings
-Adding device to container "/dev/dri/card0" and when that did not work "/dev/dri/renderD128"

Any insight would be appreciated.
BTW I am a bit of a noob

At this moment I have that kernel installed but since it is an RC it's a bit buggy, yesterday my server randomly full crashed and it had no real reason it was idle. I use plex and also am trying to get the A380 to work with plex but plex just crashes if I prefer the arc a380 above the uhd770. I'm gonna try to compile the kernell as described in de custom kernel 6.12.x link

1 hour ago, a313403367 said:

I virtualized a ubuntu to compile the kernel. In ubuntu, you can apt-get install the corresponding package(unsquashfs). In unraid, you cannot use apt-get install.

Thnx alot and now I have another problem, By following the guide, I'm at the last step of preparing went through everything flawless after your tip. But now the make oldconfig doesn't work. I was hoping the guido would give some more troubleshooting tips. for newby's like me.

make config.png

Edited by DeadDevil6210
1 hour ago, DeadDevil6210 said:

Thnx alot and now I have another problem, By following the guide, I'm at the last step of preparing went through everything flawless after your tip. But now the make oldconfig doesn't work. I was hoping the guido would give some more troubleshooting tips. for newby's like me.

make config.png

Looks like you need to install the development tools like GCC (gnu c compiler) and possibly others in that Ubuntu vm.

17 hours ago, jonathanselye said:

thor already released a new kernel with intel arc drivers built in

Just tried thor2002ro's latest 6.5r2 kernel for unraid 6.12.3

I was able to get hardware acceleration transcoding working in Jellyfin!

All I needed to do with this kernel was to add "/dev/dri/renderD128" as a device in the container and setting the transcoder to "Intel QuickSync (QSV)"

It has been almost a year and I can finally use my A380 with Jellyfin in Unraid!

Curious if this will work for you @DeadDevil6210 Hopefully it will be more stable and work with your plex

On 7/20/2023 at 3:03 AM, yAyWoB said:

Just tried thor2002ro's latest 6.5r2 kernel for unraid 6.12.3

I was able to get hardware acceleration transcoding working in Jellyfin!

All I needed to do with this kernel was to add "/dev/dri/renderD128" as a device in the container and setting the transcoder to "Intel QuickSync (QSV)"

It has been almost a year and I can finally use my A380 with Jellyfin in Unraid!

Curious if this will work for you @DeadDevil6210 Hopefully it will be more stable and work with your plex

I Installed the 6.5rc2 kernel today and my goodness my A380 finally comes to use after so long :). I had to set the gpu statistics plugin to refres every 500ms instead of 1000ms to see some info on the dashboard. But both my A380 and UHD770 now are useable for plex and are being utilized when needed. (so i left the --devices=/dev/dri inplace without calling a specific card)

Power consumption so far:
gpu IDLE: 25W (I have to check the bios settings again for the arc card to go low power mode)

GPU in use (50% load) 49W 

Edited by DeadDevil6210
On 7/21/2023 at 4:52 AM, DeadDevil6210 said:

Power consumption so far:
gpu IDLE: 25W (I have to check the bios settings again for the arc card to go low power mode)

GPU in use (50% load) 49W 

How are you monitoring the power consumption?

I have Intel_GPU_top and GPU statistics installed, but I can only see the GPU load.

For me Power Draw is displaying as 0 weather or not the card is under load. (I have Power Draw enabled in GPU statistics)

I also have an A380 is there a setting or another application you have that is allowing you to see this?

16 hours ago, yAyWoB said:

How are you monitoring the power consumption?

I have Intel_GPU_top and GPU statistics installed, but I can only see the GPU load.

For me Power Draw is displaying as 0 weather or not the card is under load. (I have Power Draw enabled in GPU statistics)

I also have an A380 is there a setting or another application you have that is allowing you to see this?

Sorry for the confusion, My power measurements come from an eve energy wall plug. And the gpu statistics plugin was set to a quick refresh to at least see some performance metrics. But i've already set it back to the default 1000 ms because I now know it works.