[Plugin] Appdata.Backup

So I've tried searching and it may be early morning brain: 

In regards to Plex I recently learned about excluding the Cache, Media and Metadata folders using appdata backup, I thought I had it set up correctly but my most recent backup still is backing up the excluded paths.  I have tried to add them into the global exclusion list & into the Docker settings directly.  What am I doing wrong?

2024-09-1308_59_26-NVIDIAGeForceOverlayDT.thumb.png.b492e3070a4fcbd1b0ac160aff071983.png2024-09-1308_59_41-NVIDIAGeForceOverlayDT.png.5c5594a8f6a88993ff495dff4a3c2813.png

Opened up the most recent TAR:
image.png.ffd6dc6a87b1aa82dba292fdbe36fc4f.png

[13.09.2024 00:03:43][ℹ️][plex] Stopping plex...  done! (took 3 seconds)
[13.09.2024 00:03:46][ℹ️][plex] Should NOT backup external volumes, sanitizing them...
[13.09.2024 00:03:46][ℹ️][plex] Calculated volumes to back up: /mnt/user/appdata/plex-lscr
[13.09.2024 00:03:46][ℹ️][plex] Backing up plex...
[13.09.2024 00:08:03][ℹ️][plex] Backup created without issues
[13.09.2024 00:08:03][ℹ️][plex] Verifying backup...
[13.09.2024 00:12:03][ℹ️][plex] Starting plex... (try #1)  done!

^^Log from my most recent backup this morning.

Edited by DeadChimi
11 hours ago, KluthR said:

There is no default backup location. How should the plugin know it?

I’m probably mistaken with how permissions would work and such, but I assumed a default destiny could be set similar to how an installation destination isn’t required for the plugin application itself. 

Similar to when installing a docker container (from community apps)- Pre-select a default unraid folder (appdata or system), but allow it to edited.

1 hour ago, Kudagra said:

I assumed a default destiny could be set similar to how an installation destination isn’t required

The problem with this is people will assume it will work out of the box, when in reality the destination needs to be thought through based on the resources available.

1. it's a safe assumption that you won't want the backup on the same media that is being backed up, so using appdata is out

2. disk numbers aren't guaranteed to exist, and pools can be named almost anything you want except for system reserved names.

If a default is used, people assume it should work for most people. Better to make people decide based on their system.

• Upvote 2
On 8/29/2023 at 1:28 AM, samsausages said:

Hi, I think I might have found a bug related to how the plugin handles the "Extra Files" section and Unriads new "Exclusive Shares"
I have a share called share1 that is an exclusive share under /mnt/user/share1
I added that path to the "extra files" section long ago and it always worked as expected.  But now I'm on 6.12 with Exclusive Shares enabled and when I went to restore from a backup today I found out that the files are no longer being backed up.  Looks like because of the symbolic link.
Containers that use exclusive shares are backing up correctly, this seems to be limited to the "Extra Files" section.

I'm assuming I can work around that by using /mnt/poolname/share1 but I wanted to report the behavior as it looks like files for people using exclusive shares probably aren't backing up as expected and no error/warning is triggered.

Hi, i am such a people, want to backup a manuall created folder in appdata, and added it like this:

/mnt/user/appdata/dienstplan_importer/

Also tried without slash, with wildcard, ... nothing works. Also from cache folder (where it lives) doesnt work.
As you said, there is no hint/error/warning that it was not backed-up, it's just missing.

Any hint's how i can include this folder in the backup?

On 8/29/2023 at 5:38 AM, KluthR said:

Good point, have to test that.

Any hint's how i can add this folder to the backup?

PS.: have now made an workaround with an user script

Edited by pOpYRaid

Your sources setting is wrong. Did you understood how it works? Did you read the help block?

Your appdata layout is also custom, you dont use a "appdata" share with holds the regular appdata. For your setup to work, set the allowed appdata sources to

• /mnt/user/

and set Plex container excludes to "/mnt/user/data_store". The sources field is not be meant to hold every appdata container path.

That should do it.

You also maybe want to create a /mnt/user/appdata and store Plex's and tautullis appdata in there. Then you can change the sources path to "mnt/user/appdata" and clear the excludes fields (as external volumes get ignored by default).

Let me know if this helps.