[Plugin] Realtek R8125 R8168 and R8152\6 drivers

4 minutes ago, crunchip said:

Now I'm not entirely sure about the current driver

If it is working for you then I would recommend sticking to the current driver that you already have installed and not change anything otherwise you can try the driver from the CA App which Fix Common Problems tells you to install.

• Like 1

I have a Motherboard with built in ethernet.  I am receiving a message through Fix Common Problems "Realtek R8168 NIC found" and "The default Realtek NIC driver is known to have issues, consider installing the driver plugin from Community Applications if you are having stability issues or trouble with networking. Search for: r8168 in Community Applications, install the plugin and reboot your server."   I looked up on line and this Motherboard spec sheet says it has a "Realtek® 8111H Gigabit LAN Controller".  This looks to be supported by the "RTL8168(B)/RTL8111(B) PCI Drivers" app if I am reading this correctly.

I see this error but I am not experiencing and specifc issues with Stability that I have noticed.  I have though noticed that if I copy several (5 to 10 for example) large video files to my media array after about 2 files copying at a speed of 100 GB, the whole process slows down to about 15GB to 30GB for the duration.  THings do finish without error but the process takes a long time.

I am not extremely techy at the command line and it feels like everytime I do something like this I end up with unintended negative outcomes.  THese are often a challenge for me to correct.  So, before I embark on adding this app/driver is this liely to correct the slowdown I see when copying multiple large files??  And are there any other concerns or should I simply ignore the error the comes into "Fix Common Problems" on this?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.....

Edited by Shesakillatwo

Ethernet speed seems good between Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 and unRAID. What issues am I looking for or should I just leave it alone? 

(Also my receipt and bios say my motherboard is H310M-A but lspci.txt says B450M-A.)

04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. PRIME B450M-A Motherboard [1043:8677]
    Kernel driver in use: r8169
    Kernel modules: r8169

[  5] 501.00-502.00 sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec    0    277 KBytes       
[  5] 502.00-503.00 sec   112 MBytes   944 Mbits/sec    0    305 KBytes       
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-503.00 sec  54.1 GBytes   923 Mbits/sec   84             sender
[  5]   0.00-503.00 sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  receiver
iperf3: error - the server has terminated

I upgraded to 6.12.6 and decided to install the Realtek driver to get ahead of any issues but when I did install the 8168 driver and restarted I couldn't access the server by the network. Had to run in GUI mode and uninstall the driver.

Any ideas why this occured. Diagnostics included below from when the server was inaccessable.

huddohub-diagnostics-20240107-2122.zip

System Devices shows:

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 16)

Hi,

I have 2 Unraid servers running. Patch is NOT installed.

One is using the Realtek R8168 (1 gigabit) with driver R8169.

One is using the Realtek R8125 (2.5 gigabit) also with driver R8169.

Both have thousands of networkdrops on the receiving side of bond0.

But operation seems to be fully normal.

Questions:

1) is it normal that both use the same driver?

2) is the thousands of networkdrops a symptom of the problem mentioned in this thread?

3) is it recommend to install the patch on both server?

Thanks!

Edited by DWA63

How do I install this driver if i'm getting this? 😛

plugin: installing: unraid-r8125.plg
Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks
plugin: downloading: unraid-r8125.plg ... done

-----------------------Downloading RTL8125 package!-------------------------
--------This could take some time, please don't close this window!----------

-----------------------Can't download RTL8125 package-----------------------
plugin: run failed: '/bin/bash' returned 1
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

8 hours ago, mikl said:

Do you have any AdBlocking/Geoblocking or Unifi devices on your network?

Are you sure that your server has exclusive access to the Internet?

Usually this means that your server can't grab the latest release from GitHub.

Fix Common Problems is saying "Realtek R8125 NIC found" and suggesting that I install this plugin. When I check Tools->System Devices, my built-in NIC reports as "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Killer E3000 2.5GbE Controller (rev 06)". System drivers says that I have "r8169 - RealTek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver" in use, but no mention of 8125. 

Is this a false positive with Fix Common Problems?

I have some flaky issues with browsing shares occasionally, long delays to load the folders and files, but I'm not sure it's related to the network card. The server has an i7-13700k with 64GB RAM, so CPU/RAM should not be an issue. 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:54 AM, aussie_huddo said:

I upgraded to 6.12.6 and decided to install the Realtek driver to get ahead of any issues but when I did install the 8168 driver and restarted I couldn't access the server by the network. Had to run in GUI mode and uninstall the driver.

Any ideas why this occured. Diagnostics included below from when the server was inaccessable.

huddohub-diagnostics-20240107-2122.zip 149.56 kB · 1 download

System Devices shows:

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 16)

have you reboot the Unraid after install plugin? There is no log about loading driver in syslog.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:28 PM, DWA63 said:

Hi,

I have 2 Unraid servers running. Patch is NOT installed.

One is using the Realtek R8168 (1 gigabit) with driver R8169.

One is using the Realtek R8125 (2.5 gigabit) also with driver R8169.

Both have thousands of networkdrops on the receiving side of bond0.

But operation seems to be fully normal.

Questions:

1) is it normal that both use the same driver?

2) is the thousands of networkdrops a symptom of the problem mentioned in this thread?

3) is it recommend to install the patch on both server?

Thanks!

It is normal, and you can try to install plugin to see whether it is better.

If not, then uninstall plugin will clean it completely. Better to back up usb disk at first.

On 1/9/2024 at 7:17 AM, mikl said:

plugin: installing: unraid-r8125.plg
plugin: downloading: unraid-r8125.plg ... done

-----------------------Downloading RTL8125 package!-------------------------
--------This could take some time, please don't close this window!----------

-----------------------Can't download RTL8125 package-----------------------
plugin: run failed: '/bin/bash' returned 1
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

It seems your network is blocked from github, please make sure you can access github from unraid server.

On 1/7/2024 at 4:36 AM, oh-tomo said:

Ethernet speed seems good between Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 and unRAID. What issues am I looking for or should I just leave it alone? 

(Also my receipt and bios say my motherboard is H310M-A but lspci.txt says B450M-A.)

04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. PRIME B450M-A Motherboard [1043:8677]
    Kernel driver in use: r8169
    Kernel modules: r8169

[  5] 501.00-502.00 sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec    0    277 KBytes       
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-503.00 sec  54.1 GBytes   923 Mbits/sec   84             sender
[  5]   0.00-503.00 sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  receiver
iperf3: error - the server has terminated

I would suggest leave it alone if no issues.

1 hour ago, aussie_huddo said:

I installed the driver from Community Apps, restarted the server and thats when it became inaccessible.

Thanks for the info, it seems to be other reasons, I may not able to help you.

Please try the plugin with a brand new unraid system if possible. Or if you have no problem with current driver, better to keep using it.

• Like 1

If I am already running 6.12.4 without issue for a while now, is this needed?  It comes up as an issue with Fix Common Problems, naturally since I do have this NIC, but I don't want to create an issue with installing it either :)   I am planning on upgrading to .6 in the near future.

Does anyone know if r8169 driver in unraid 6.12.6 have issues with ASPM ? 
Because I’m troubleshooting since days and found out that r8169 Nic of my Asus Pro H610T D4. Unraid 6.12.6 can only reach C10 Powersave level once i disable the NIC in the BIOS. Otherwise only C3 possible. With the same BIOS settings my test Ubuntu have no issues. 
Does some of you have ideas?

root@Tower:~# ethtool -i eth0
driver: r8169
version: 6.1.64-Unraid
firmware-version: rtl8168h-2_0.0.2 02/26/15
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no
root@Tower:~#

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ethtool -i enp2s0
driver: r8169
version: 6.2.0-26-generic
firmware-version: rtl8168h-2_0.0.2 02/26/15
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

• Upvote 1
On 11/5/2023 at 1:38 PM, ich777 said:

I even think that it wouldn‘t make sense to release a driver with ASPM enabled since it would make the network connection completely unreliable from what I found.

Hello,

6.12.4 version had no stability issues for 8111 driver related to aspm, and was activated. N100dc-itx had been properly tested. Why do you say it would have stability issues? I know, if the new linux kernel updated this disabling aspm, it was for a reason, but would be great to change this behavior with a plugin. Can't this be activated as an option?

22 minutes ago, vmasip said:

Why do you say it would have stability issues?

Because not every chip is 100% compatible with ASPM or at least the driver has some issues with it.

Keep in mind these are Community modified drivers because Realtek haven't updated their drivers in !!!!years!!!

One thing to keep in mind is just because it is working for you it doesn't mean that it is working for everyone else.

Can you upload Diagnostics from your system please?

N100

There are some reports on the forums with ASPM enabled with dropping network connections, constant reconnecting to the network and even loosing the network connectivity entirely.

You also have to keep in mind that not every N100 is the same and even the Realtek chips don't have to be the same on those boards if newer revisions from the board are released.

You even have to think about different manufacturers using different Realtek chips that uses the same driver.

but would be great to change this behavior with a plugin.

Sure then another plugin has to be made with that.

Can't this be activated as an option?

No, not at this time.

This would also introduce more complexity and even have some downsides in my opinion.

I'll need @jinlife's opinion on that but it would be really difficult for users to even choose what driver to use and this would definitely result in unnecessary support requests.

@jinlife I also saw that for the 8125 driver Realtek updated their drivers recently and it is now compatible up to Kernel 6.4

Have you already seen that?

I think the pressure on Realtek for Linux drivers will become more and more over time since most new "budget" boards use these chips.

My advice would be to stay away from Realtek chips at all but that maybe change if they update their drivers more frequently.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Because not every chip is 100% compatible with ASPM or at least the driver has some issues with it.

Keep in mind these are Community modified drivers because Realtek haven't updated their drivers in !!!!years!!!

One thing to keep in mind is just because it is working for you it doesn't mean that it is working for everyone else.

Can you upload Diagnostics from your system please?

There are some reports on the forums with ASPM enabled with dropping network connections, constant reconnecting to the network and even loosing the network connectivity entirely.

You also have to keep in mind that not every N100 is the same and even the Realtek chips don't have to be the same on those boards if newer revisions from the board are released.

You even have to think about different manufacturers using different Realtek chips that uses the same driver.

Sure then another plugin has to be made with that.

No, not at this time.

This would also introduce more complexity and even have some downsides in my opinion.

I'll need @jinlife's opinion on that but it would be really difficult for users to even choose what driver to use and this would definitely result in unnecessary support requests.

@jinlife I also saw that for the 8125 driver Realtek updated their drivers recently and it is now compatible up to Kernel 6.4

Have you already seen that?

I think the pressure on Realtek for Linux drivers will become more and more over time since most new "budget" boards use these chips.

My advice would be to stay away from Realtek chips at all but that maybe change if they update their drivers more frequently.

I have already updated the r8125 code to latest one v9.012.04. If this version is better, would you please trigger the build? Thanks.

I would suggest to keep it simple since most of the user don't know the differences. They will ask what it is and we need to explain. Thinking of that, I would like to choose the best compatible one for them.

Anyone who prefers a different option is welcome to fork the open source repo and build it on their own.

Edited by jinlife
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, jinlife said:

If this version is better, would you please trigger the build? Thanks.

I've deleted the current builds for 6.12.6 and triggered the build, the drivers will be available again in about 15 minutes. :)

If anyone want's to upgrade on an existing Unraid 6.12.6 installation:

1. Remove the plugin
  2. Reinstall the plugin from the CA App
  3. Reboot
  • Like 2