[Plugin] Realtek R8125 R8168 and R8152\6 drivers

SOLVED:

This may have been a coincidence but once I provisioned my unraid server in Management Access setting I was then able to download the file from GitHub.

I'm also getting the can't download error message.  I'm not seeing anything that would prevent my unraid server from accessing GitHub.  IPv4 DNS server is set to 1.1.1.1.  As far as I can tell looking at the system log, when the pre_plugin_checks script is executed, I see "r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: Link is Down".  Is this to be expected from the script or is this preventing the server from accessing GitHub?

plugin: installing: unraid-r8168.plg
Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks
plugin: downloading: unraid-r8168.plg ... done

Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks

-----------------------Downloading RTL8168 package!-------------------------
--------This could take some time, please don't close this window!----------

-----------------------Can't download RTL8168 package-----------------------
plugin: run failed: '/bin/bash' returned 1
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Edited by niwmik2
SOLVED

I have the following driver loaded and I believe this is what is being picked up by this plug-in.

r8169 RealTek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver Inuse net/ethernet/realtek

For this:

IOMMU group 28: [10ec:8125] 27:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller

I want to make the change but I am:

1) unsure which driver to pick to install

2) worried if it breaks - I don’t know how to recover - is it via the console / command line?

Complicating matters is I have this ethernet port bonded with another intel ethernet also on the motherboard.

So I guess my amateur questions are:

1) should give this a go?

2) which driver do I pick?

3) any gotchas?

I’m hoping it’s just a reboot and life moves on but reading the 8 pages on this thread have got me spooked.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers.

I was directed here by the "Fix Common Problems" plugin, and it is completely unclear to me why the included driver would be an issue, and what exactly this "community driver" is. Is this like a newer version? Or a hacked version of the original driver with improvements? I think the 1st post could benefit from some basic information explaining the situation.

Hi I have this warning in fix common problems plugin:

Realtek R8168 NIC found:

The default Realtek NIC driver is known to have issues, consider installing the driver plugin from Community Applications if you are having stability issues or trouble with networking. Search for: r8168 in Community Applications, install the plugin and reboot your server. 

And I have this in my system devices in unraid:

Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)

The unraid and NIC is working properly. Should I just ignore the warning or still install the realtek plugin? Anyone who install the realtek plugin even if their NIC is working properly?

My unraid version is 6.12.6

Edited by HHUBS

The current problem with the in tree driver is only for the Realtek 8125 2.5GbE, and if used with jumbo frames, this driver is not needed for other Realtek NICs, or even the 8125 if jumbo frames are disabled, but feel free to install and try it if you are having other NIC issues, if not there's no need. 

20 hours ago, JorgeB said:

The current problem with the in tree driver is only for the Realtek 8125 2.5GbE, and if used with jumbo frames, this driver is not needed for other Realtek NICs, or even the 8125 if jumbo frames are disabled, but feel free to install and try it if you are having other NIC issues, if not there's no need. 

Can I revert it once I install?

30 minutes ago, Tim Folkins said:

Are there some steps on how to uninstall in case of the server not connecting to the network (ie. via console, command-line) I think that's all I need _just in case_ 

It's possible but it's a multistep operation, if that happens recommend booting locally using the GUI mode and uninstalling the plugin.

• Like 1

I have the 8125 2.5 Gbe NIC and got the notification in Fix Common Problems. I have no issues with the stock driver and when I installed this driver the RDP connection to my Windows VM got super slow. Not sure if I did something wrong or if this driver isn't needed with my particular board.

Edited by mackid1993
10 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I have the 8125 2.5 Gbe NIC and got the notification in Fix Common Problems. I have no issues with the stock driver and when I installed this driver the RDP connection to my Windows VM got super slow. Not sure if I did something wrong or if this driver isn't needed with my particular board.

If you had no issues before and now got issues then please remove the plugin.

On 2024/1/20 at PM11点11分, ich777 said:

如果您之前没有问题但现在出现问题,请删除该插件。

我的主板有两个网卡,分别是8125和8168,我能同时安装这两个插件吗。我之前尝试过,始终会使一个网卡失效

Hi all, I'm trying to figure this out as I'm new to unraid. Here is my ethernet controller info...
10ec:8168] 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)

The UnRaid Dashboard says...

General info: Mode of operation  

bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500

eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

lo: loopback

My problem is speed. I'm writing to a share which is an SSD Cache only, so it should be full speed but I'm only getting Write Speed 42MB/s. I then installed the realtek driver from the apps section: RTL8168(B)/RTL8111(B) PCI Drivers. I then rebooted. My write speed is now 65MB/s and read speed is71MB/s, so there is improvement. I still feel this should be much faster considering I am connected wired everywhere at 1000 Mbps.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

19 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Problem may be unrelated to the NIC, but start by running a single stream iperf test in both directions to see if all looks good.

I think I have figured out iperf and ran it from my desktop PC connecting to unraid server, both connected over ethernet with a 1G switch in the midddle.

Connecting to host 192.168.0.11, port 5201
[  4] local 192.168.0.49 port 50307 connected to 192.168.0.11 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec  26.2 MBytes   220 Mbits/sec
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec  68.9 MBytes   578 Mbits/sec
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  68.8 MBytes   577 Mbits/sec
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  68.8 MBytes   577 Mbits/sec
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  68.2 MBytes   572 Mbits/sec
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  68.9 MBytes   578 Mbits/sec
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec  68.6 MBytes   576 Mbits/sec
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec  68.8 MBytes   577 Mbits/sec
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec  68.8 MBytes   577 Mbits/sec
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  67.2 MBytes   564 Mbits/sec
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   643 MBytes   539 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   643 MBytes   539 Mbits/sec                  receiver

The speeds look similar to what I'm getting with the smb share I think?

19 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

They do, suggesting the problem is one of the NICs, cables, switch, client PC, etc.

OK I've done more more iperf stuff across my network, it all looks to be as slow, although internet speeds (same switch) is over 140Mbs. So it's not an unraid or driver by the looks of it. Now I just need to figure out how to test my network. Many Thanks!

• Like 1

My Asus MB only has 1.0g port so I been using a 8156B/8152 USB adapter and driver and it's been working with 2.5 speed prior to loading the latest Unraid release 2 months ago with 6.12.6 - The issue the network speed is only 1.0g - never exceeds 1.4..   I have 2 other unraid servers and they are both transferring 2.5 to and from each other and to PC's so its not an issue with the network.   It's only when copy to and from this machine that I find the issue.    I have tried to uninstall it and reboot to the old Nic, then reinstall the drivers but no matter what is done, it does not get the extra speed anymore.   Any idea on what could be the issue.   

Thanks