Do I really have to do this (licensing)?

aiden

So I emailed Lime-Tech last Wednesday, and pm'd Tom on Thursday, and I still have not received a new key for my replacement flash drive.  I have no array, no parity protection, and therefore, no real way to access my data except piecemeal drive mounting.  I need my array back up, as I have other people backing up to me and they are not able to do so.  Why do I have to start a thread?  I don't feel this should have to be put online for everyone to read, and once it's resolved, I will delete the thread (if I can), but I don't know what else to do to get his attention to get this fixed.  >:(

Yeah, that is a scary thing and reasons why restrictions like this are just a bad idea.

I know it is to combat piracy etc but I really wish it wasn't there.

Definitely worth getting a second backup usb stick I guess but shouldn't have to in my opinion....

There should be some form of emergency mode where you can run it for a restricted amount of time etc or something along those lines until you get a new key...

Yeah I really think something needs to be hashed out around this issue.  Looking back you can see it keeps coming back with people being worried about it or being caught out by it.

I think if there was a webpage you could go to where you can paste in your old GUID and then press a button to request a temp key that would work.

Conditions would be, you havent requested a temp key against that GUID before ever or in xx amount of months and some code added in unraid to make the license run for xx amount of days and we assume that a new full key would be given during that time, when you request a temp key you can give the reason etc and that is sent to limetech etc.  All automatic and would solve situations like this.

Of course it does involve some coding but it would still allow limetech to keep people having to buy keys (stop pirated copies) but give buyers some more assurance that they aren't screwed if their flash dies etc..

I would be pretty annoyed if my flash died and I was unable to access my array for even a few hours actually.... hehe

Definitely worth getting a second backup usb stick I guess but shouldn't have to in my opinion....

The problem is I have a spare key I have never enabled, so it's my fault for not having a backup flash drive ready to go.  However, buying the license twice to prevent downtime for one server isn't a very good model.  But I don't want to start a debate about what is a better way to license unRAID, I just want to get his attention so I can get a new key.

Yeah I really think something needs to be hashed out around this issue.  Looking back you can see it keeps coming back with people being worried about it or being caught out by it.

I think if there was a webpage you could go to where you can paste in your old GUID and then press a button to request a temp key that would work.

Conditions would be, you havent requested a temp key against that GUID before ever or in xx amount of months and some code added in unraid to make the license run for xx amount of days and we assume that a new full key would be given during that time, when you request a temp key you can give the reason etc and that is sent to limetech etc.  All automatic and would solve situations like this.

Of course it does involve some coding but it would still allow limetech to keep people having to buy keys (stop pirated copies) but give buyers some more assurance that they aren't screwed if their flash dies etc..

I would be pretty annoyed if my flash died and I was unable to access my array for even a few hours actually.... hehe

Nice idea, I presented the idea, that the license is tied to a read only usb key. The usb key need only be present in the system and not on /boot.  The reason these keys fail is because the super.dat is updated during array start/stop. then with all the other config files that are adjusted as we do maintenance to the server.

if just having the key present would suffice, many of these issues would subside.

I like the idea of a temporary license.

I also like the idea of using a supported USB Key card reader. Then if the flash card dies, swap it out, reformat. restore backup and you are back in business.

If you have a mission critical system, you get 2 keys.  That's standard practice, and why there is a price break when you get 2.

Wherever there is a mission critical app with dongles or other hardware keys, I always advise clients to buy a spare.

This assumes I am running a mission critical server... at home.  I am not.  The parties backing up to me are friends and family.  My point is that while I do hold 2 keys, it seems odd that I can't use them for 2 different systems, because I am supposed to hold one in reserve for when my current flash drive fails.  I'm not criticizing the idea, but I am questioning the label.  To me, it should be sold as 1 Primary, 1 Backup key, if the idea is to use them both for the same server.

Nice idea, I presented the idea, that the license is tied to a read only usb key. The usb key need only be present in the system and not on /boot.  The reason these keys fail is because the super.dat is updated during array start/stop. then with all the other config files that are adjusted as we do maintenance to the server.

if just having the key present would suffice, many of these issues would subside.

This is a tried and true method that has been used in much more high cost systems, such as CAD and architectural programs.  It's simple, still meets the desired requirements, but gets us around this (dead drive = no array) issue.  Hell, it could even allow people to boot from other drives, in case they want to combine an application drive (SABnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, etc) and unRAID on one SSD.  Just a thought.  The other ideas are good as well.

Maybe a kludgey workaround for this situatation ... is your flash drive totally braindead (fritzed controller), or just suffering a partial lobotomy(worn out memory area [most likely just the lower LBAs])? If the latter, you can use fdisk to delete the current partition 1(now starting at cyl #1), and set up a new partition 1 starting farther into the addressable area (e.g. cyl #1000). (Then re-format and fresh copy all required unRAID goodies.)

You can do that initial diagnosis by just doing "fdisk /dev/sdX" and then the "p" command. If they succeed, so might you.

[ You can then use

dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/null bs=1M skip=NN

for decreasing values of NN to find the beginning of your error-free range. ]

Wish you luck.

-- UhClem  "We're all bozos on this bus."

I also like the idea of using a supported USB Key card reader. Then if the flash card dies, swap it out, reformat. restore backup and you are back in business.

That currently is my backup plan. I have a card reader with a SD card in it. If the SD card fries I just drop in a new one and I'm up and running. I also like the idea of a card reader because I can drop in different versions of unRAID and use the same GUID on any of the SD cards I drop in it.

That currently is my backup plan. I have a card reader with a SD card in it. If the SD card fries I just drop in a new one and I'm up and running. I also like the idea of a card reader because I can drop in different versions of unRAID and use the same GUID on any of the SD cards I drop in it.

This sounds like a great idea.

Does this currently work on unRAID? is there a specific card reader?

This is a great idea with one potential gotcha that makes it a no go.

In the past we have seen card reader with identical GUIDs meaning one mistake Limetech would essentially be issuing a license that would work countless times for anyone that could buy that reader. It would require someone to buy and release the key but its not unfeasible.

So I emailed Lime-Tech last Wednesday, and pm'd Tom on Thursday, and I still have not received a new key for my replacement flash drive.  I have no array, no parity protection, and therefore, no real way to access my data except piecemeal drive mounting.  I need my array back up, as I have other people backing up to me and they are not able to do so.  Why do I have to start a thread?  I don't feel this should have to be put online for everyone to read, and once it's resolved, I will delete the thread (if I can), but I don't know what else to do to get his attention to get this fixed.  >:(

I see your PM and your email from 7 September and I can't explain why I didn't get your replacement key sent.  I apologize because somehow I just overlooked it.  New key has now been sent.

I see your PM and your email from 7 September and I can't explain why I didn't get your replacement key sent.  I apologize because somehow I just overlooked it.  New key has now been sent.

Thank you Tom.  I appreciate your honesty, but I hope you will take this and previous incidents into consideration for a potential modification to the licensing system.  Mods, please delete or lock this thread as you see fit.

This is a great idea with one potential gotcha that makes it a no go.

In the past we have seen card reader with identical GUIDs meaning one mistake Limetech would essentially be issuing a license that would work countless times for anyone that could buy that reader. It would require someone to buy and release the key but its not unfeasible.

It works if your reader has a unique GUID.  Many do not.

Yes and there in lies the problem.

I think its a fantastic idea but if someone finds a reader that has a unique looking GUID that isnt then it could be a seriius issue.

But saying all that maybe IRL the chances are slim and in one swoop we could address what is a constant concern. I have lost count of how many times this has been raised and that should indicate it is at best confusing. Especially since flash drives all break.

With the advent of 5 this could in theory become a much bigger issue

Nice idea, I presented the idea, that the license is tied to a read only usb key. The usb key need only be present in the system and not on /boot.  The reason these keys fail is because the super.dat is updated during array start/stop. then with all the other config files that are adjusted as we do maintenance to the server.

I like the idea of a temporary license.

You can basically do this today:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3846.msg34151#msg34151

Confirmed this looks like its available globally. I like the fact it is a huge name brand rather than some re-badged thing.

Could we have an immediate winner?

I have one of the above linked readers and it works a treat.  I have a handful of SD cards that I have different vesions of unRAID on for testing stuff.  All I do is shut down, switch SD card and boot back up.

From what I remember when I tested it, it booted pretty fast using a middle of the road SD card. Meaning I think I used a Class 4 or something like that. I currently have a Pro License for it, but haven't had to use it exclusively.

Just drop in the SD card in the large slot and your off. You could use the smaller slot with a microSD card in it to perform backups of your Main so you can just swap it out if needed.

Archived