Move News

limetech

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How easy would it be for Unraid to be provided as a add-on to a kernel?

So essentially it would be a case of 'pick your own kernel' but only the latest is officially supported?

It could, but remember the whole md subsystem is replaced. I think it would take allot of work. You would need to replace the md subsystem and all the tools(or remove them).

I like unRAID the way it is. Sleek lightweight ram OS. the only disks are data (and a parity) disk.

How easy would it be for Unraid to be provided as a add-on to a kernel?

So essentially it would be a case of 'pick your own kernel' but only the latest is officially supported?

It could, but remember the whole md subsystem is replaced. I think it would take allot of work. You would need to replace the md subsystem and all the tools(or remove them).

I like unRAID the way it is. Sleek lightweight ram OS. the only disks are data (and a parity) disk.

That may be the case, but people having problems shouldn't have to loose out on later UnRAID versions just because something in the kernel is AWOL.

I'd be pretty annoyed if my hardware didn't work properly with dual parity or whatever features of future versions are.

That may be the case, but people having problems shouldn't have to loose out on later UnRAID versions just because something in the kernel is AWOL.

I'd be pretty annoyed if my hardware didn't work properly with dual parity or whatever features of future versions are.

That would be like...  being annoyed with Microsoft because you can't get Windows8 to load on your 486DX4  :o::)

Just sayin'... :)

That would be like...  being annoyed with Microsoft because you can't get Windows8 to load on your 486DX4  :o::)

Well, not really, is it?

None of the hardware we are running is really 'old' or out-of-date...

Excuse me, but you sir are ignorant to the situation at hand. What you said is so far from the truth. The troubled hardware people are using makes up the most popular of all SATA controllers.

According to the past Gartner reports, LSI ranks No. 1 overall in worldwide host bus RAID controller unit market share. (Reference)

The problem is the beta has been around so long people as using it as if it is a "stable". This is either because it supports hardware they want to use, has features they want or were guided that way by positive feedback.

The simple fact is you shouldn't be using a beta on a production machine or consider it stable. If you are you have to live with things breaking. That is the nature of the beta testing beast.

The beta is a beta. It is not a stable until Limetech say it is. They are the only ones that really know if it ready for production.

The 4.7 bugs are very rare but they should have been fixed. Limetech are reacting to pressure to get the 5 series done and are likely so far down the road that the effort of working on 4.7 seems like a false economy. The problem is that it is taking a long time.

Its not a great situation but it is the one we have.

The problem is the beta has been around so long people as using it as if it is a "stable". This is either because it supports hardware they want to use, has features they want or were guided that way by positive feedback.

The simple fact is you shouldn't be using a beta on a production machine or consider it stable. If you are you have to live with things breaking. That is the nature of the beta testing beast.

The beta is a beta. It is not a stable until Limetech say it is. They are the only ones that really know if it ready for production.

The 4.7 bugs are very rare but they should have been fixed. Limetech are reacting to pressure to get the 5 series done and are likely so far down the road that the effort of working on 4.7 seems like a false economy. The problem is that it is taking a long time.

An ETA on 5 RC would be ideal right now. Limetech/these forums seem to have an obsession with not announcing any such hint of even a guestimate. I find this dissappointing.

An ETA on 5 RC would be ideal right now. Limetech/these forums seem to have an obsession with not announcing any such hint of even a guestimate. I find this dissappointing.

considering the major issues are in the KERNEL and not the unRaid code, kinda hard for limetech to announce when those would be fixed.

considering the major issues are in the KERNEL and not the unRaid code, kinda hard for limetech to announce when those would be fixed.

Agreed, plus the last time when a target goal was published, it got pretty uncomfortable with the temperature of posts when the target was not reached.

Agreed, plus the last time when a target goal was published, it got pretty uncomfortable with the temperature of posts when the target was not reached.

I agree that people were pretty rediculously irate when the target goal wasn't reached. 

I'm actually pretty frustrated with lime-tech at this point because we are two months past that target goal and in the last 4 months the support I've received from lime-tech was something I'd expect from a one man show or a free program, not one that costs over $100 and is an actual company.

Excuse me, but you sir are ignorant to the situation at hand. What you said is so far from the truth. The troubled hardware people are using makes up the most popular of all SATA controllers.

According to the past Gartner reports, LSI ranks No. 1 overall in worldwide host bus RAID controller unit market share. (Reference)

??? You might look at my sig...

Besides LOGOPOLIS, I have THOR with a M1015 & a Br10i, & TOWER, with a single M1015.

I doubt I'm "ignorant to the situation at hand"

I agree that people were pretty rediculously irate when the target goal wasn't reached. 

I'm actually pretty frustrated with lime-tech at this point because we are two months past that target goal and in the last 4 months the support I've received from lime-tech was something I'd expect from a one man show or a free program, not one that costs over $100 and is an actual company.

Lol as far as we know, it IS a one man show. This may be changing shortly, but for now... the only contact we've had is through Tom as far as can tell.

You guys all need to calm down.  I should have just named 5.0-beta4 or -beta5, or one of those, "5.0-final".  Code's been solid for a long time, aside from h/w incompatibilities largely beyond my control.  Hopefully latest 3.2.13 linux kernel addresses some of these problems.

Any thoughts then?    Limetech has said that it is solid and should have been named "final".

You guys all need to calm down.  I should have just named 5.0-beta4 or -beta5, or one of those, "5.0-final".  Code's been solid for a long time, aside from h/w incompatibilities largely beyond my control.  Hopefully latest 3.2.13 linux kernel addresses some of these problems.

Edited for Emphasis

To be fare anywhere i have ever worked, if i put that quote into Q&A as proof for deployment it would be failed immediately.

Silly as it may seem but the release numbering is not just important it is vital for many people.

So whilst it may seem fine for some people, others wanting the stable released are not just arguing semantics.

Remember until V5 beta hits RC there are probably large numbers of users who have never done any testing at all on the series, so at best public testing has been incomplete.

Its pretty clear we are close to a new RC we just need to be patient.

The real issue with no ETA is that there hasn't been a release or even a consistent status update from LimeTech SINCE NOVEMBER (4 months)! To me (a developer), a BETA that hasn't gotten touched at all in 4 months is dead... Vaporware. If it was a stable release, you could easily go a year with no update, fine, but it's not stable it's BETA... That's the kind of attention I'd expect some random open source project to get, not a product I paid for. I'm now looking at more competitive products like Synology or qnap.

I really liked unRaid for it's relative support for white-boxes and it's openness for configuration and such but lack of support and latest industry features is a heavy price to pay for just that. It takes hours of screwing around for DAYS to get it to do anything other than just hold files. Other products have just about everything that you could get out of unRaid (Like built in video streaming, music streaming, picture viewing, webmin, nagios, smart stats, iTunes server, etc.) right of their box and without screwing around with it for hours. No Linux command line experience required.

Admit it. Please. LimeTech needs this feedback. Customers aren't happy and if others saw what a Synology could do out of the box I'd bet even more wouldn't be happy.

The real issue with no ETA is that there hasn't been a release or even a consistent status update from LimeTech SINCE NOVEMBER (4 months)! To me (a developer), a BETA that hasn't gotten touched at all in 4 months is dead... Vaporware. If it was a stable release, you could easily go a year with no update, fine, but it's not stable it's BETA... That's the kind of attention I'd expect some random open source project to get, not a product I paid for. I'm now looking at more competitive products like Synology or qnap.

I really liked unRaid for it's relative support for white-boxes and it's openness for configuration and such but lack of support and latest industry features is a heavy price to pay for just that. It takes hours of screwing around for DAYS to get it to do anything other than just hold files. Other products have just about everything that you could get out of unRaid (Like built in video streaming, music streaming, picture viewing, webmin, nagios, smart stats, iTunes server, etc.) right of their box and without screwing around with it for hours. No Linux command line experience required.

Admit it. Please. LimeTech needs this feedback. Customers aren't happy and if others saw what a Synology could do out of the box I'd bet even more wouldn't be happy.

Look I do understand that if you want to spend up front $2000 or more dollars you might be correct. But some people me included started with spare parts and almost no money invested. Lime tech makes most of their money from the KEY you get and that seems to be about it. So personally I am very happy with their product and how it works. It has its down sides but heck outside of this forum no one I know has an 11TB server that can give the performance that mine has and I never spent more than $200 per spending spree.

If you are so unhappy remember that Tom said to e-mail him directly.

Have a nice day. :D

Have a nice day. :D

I am having a great day!  8)

I am just playing right now with v5 beta with SimpleFeatures, various plug-ins, and probably with a bunch of hardware not quite the same as anyone else's.  And that's a key point, those that want to go elsewhere can pay big bucks and get predefined hardware with a good range of features, but with limited options for alternative hardware, custom software and the like.  Those of us on smaller budgets (I like the $200 per spending spree idea) often find unRAID well suited to our needs.  Yes, V5 is a long time in the works, but as others have said, LimeTech's beta is a good deal more solid than many companies' final releases ever get to be before the next big version upgrade.  I will be switching my main server to v5 this week, having been testing v5 on my backup server for the past few months.  I fully expect that I will continue having a great day.

I'm now looking at more competitive products like Synology or qnap.

Best of luck with Qnap!  I paid good money far a Qnap NAS which never really had the power to handle the task it was advertised to do.  Subsequent firmware updates only made matters worse, as the processor didn't have enough performance to cope with the additional features.  Then the updates stopped.  Now I'm left with useless box from which only the hard drive could be redeployed.

My unRAID server is still handling the tasks which the Qnap was intended to perform, and much more besides.  Extended storage aside, my unRAID hardware cost less than that Qnap box.

It takes hours of screwing around for DAYS to get it to do anything other than just hold files. Other products have just about everything that you could get out of unRaid (Like built in video streaming, music streaming, picture viewing, webmin, nagios, smart stats, iTunes server, etc.) right of their box and without screwing around with it for hours. No Linux command line experience required.

OK lets not start exaggerating here. I'm not a developer and I'm definitely not linux savvy and I can SAFELY SAY that it did not take me hours of screwing around to do anything other than just holding files. Maybe our brains work differently but I can definitely say that what you have described has NEVER been my experience. Every addon I've installed has been up and running with MINIMAL effort. Hell getting unRaid up and running for me (4-5 years ago?) took less than 15 minutes to build the spare computer out of parts... and then about 5 minutes to boot it up and configure it with the 3 drives I had installed. Lets not start throwing absurdities out there... you just look foolish in the end.

snip.............

...........snip

Um, far be it for me, a humble 50 odd year old carpenter, to pretend to have any sort of technical input, but the official Unraid manual, is very clear on what UnRaid does. It hardly seems appropriate to complain that it takes you days to try and get it to do something else. It seems a bit like wanting an all terrain vehicle, but then buying a family saloon car and complaining that it takes days to turn it into a fully fledged off roader.

I'm now looking at more competitive products like Synology or qnap.

Best of luck with Qnap!  I paid good money far a Qnap NAS which never really had the power to handle the task it was advertised to do.  Subsequent firmware updates only made matters worse, as the processor didn't have enough performance to cope with the additional features.  Then the updates stopped.  Now I'm left with useless box from which only the hard drive could be redeployed.

My unRAID server is still handling the tasks which the Qnap was intended to perform, and much more besides.  Extended storage aside, my unRAID hardware cost less than that Qnap box.

I can only reiterate this.  I had a 4 bay QNAP 409 Pro (I think) and faced the same issues.

Twice I had to rely on their support to remote in and fix filesystem issues via the command line.  I did not lose data either time but lost access to it for a period of days each time while trying to coordinate timing.  The first time I put it down to running too many addons and packages, the second time it happened without any additional packages running so the NAS got sold.