Release Information

Well I'm lost with this totally now. What definite version 5-RC3 issues are there?

No need to be :)

On the wiki an initiative is started to keep track of outstanding issues and requests. See http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/IssueList

Until that list is updated, here is the list in the wiki users started.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Bug_Tracking

But isn't the way that list gets updated is for users experiencing the bugs to actually submit them?  So isn't that the better advice than to continue directing people to the Bug_Tracking wiki?  Don't get me wrong Joe, it was great you(?) got that started, but there is now a real bug tracker and testers need to start submitting bugs to it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I'm lost with this totally now. What definite version 5-RC3 issues are there?

On the wiki an initiative is started to keep track of outstanding issues and requests. See http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/IssueList

But isn't the way that list gets updated is for users experiencing the bugs to actually submit them?  So isn't that the better advice than to continue directing people to the Bug_Tracking wiki?  Don't get me wrong Joe, it was great you(?) got that started, but there is now a real bug tracker and testers need to start submitting bugs to it.

It was not me who started the user-maintained-bugs list in the wiki.  I do think it is a great idea, as it needs no involvement from lime-tech (other than to fix them)

The second issue-tracker was set up by lime-tech and as of the last time I looked had only one item. (to increase the number of supported disks to 24) 

This is not "really" a bug, but an enhancement for those with 24 bay server enclosures.    I think there was another bug listed, as the only one showing is #2.  I do not see #1, so I can only guess it was deleted. (and hopefully fixed)

A note posted to the moderators indicated that Tom would make a general announcement about this "Issue Tracker" page in the wiki some-time this week.

Joe L.

Having a stable beta is certainly %100 each perspective. I've had nothing but random weird, odd issues. Ones that are so hard to figure out. Trying to down grade to 4.7 didn't work and if there was a down grade path available I would use it. I really want to go back to 4.7. I've never used a beta anything in my life and I'm sorry I started now. I've come across another "odd" issue with RC3. I primarily play my media with my Dune media player %100. Soon as I changed over to RC3 I started to notice file format play back issues. I'll have to try to play the same file several times for it to work. No errors in any logs of course. I'm guessing I'm the only one having this type of issue. I haven't seen it anywhere else. I've tried NFS and SMB. Is there a downgrade path available or its not in the cards?

I have a Dune media player too, but can play everything flawlessly. What hardware components do you have?

Same here : Dune player + Unraid RC3. The only problem I've had is that the Dune player reports "Unsupported Format" after I copy a .mkv to Unraid from Windows and try to play it.  It turns out that's it's a permission problem which I fix doing a

chown nobody:users [i]<filename>[/i]

on the file.  How are you connecting to Unraid, NFS or SMB?

I have no add ons whatsoever. Just the basic UnRaid

Same with my system! I went back to B14. When running RC3 everything would run perfectly for 2-3 days, then nothing, no web interface, no folders, and not even telnet.

Server becomes unresponsive and crashes after a couple days. I removed all plugins (SimpleFeatures and some ad ons) and rebooted and it did not solve the problem. Same thing happened in rc2.

This is the behavior I saw as well, before disabling all packages. Since then, since RC3, it has been solid from first boot and for multiple TB of copies. Broken record I know, but most plug-ins won't be updated until Final so it's best to take them out of the testing equation. If some of them are critical to you but you aren't up to solving or working around problems yourself then it would seem best to stick with a release that works with your goodies. No?

Edit: I'm not ignoring the part where shrimpyaab said they disabled plugins, or that possibly you meant the same, but without more details and a syslog it's hard to get any value from the posts.

Same here : Dune player + Unraid RC3. The only problem I've had is that the Dune player reports "Unsupported Format" after I copy a .mkv to Unraid from Windows and try to play it.  It turns out that's it's a permission problem which I fix doing a

I have both SMB and NFS set up, though I use mainly SMB, while NFS is there for specific test cases. Both modes run without issue.

This is where posting your syslog is key. The hardware list helps, too.

If the system died completely before you could capture anything then post what you can from the next boot. Depending on the problem you'll likely get tips on how to capture enough from the crash to take the next step.

Without a completely obvious known problem or a syslog, everyone has to guess.

It was not me who started the user-maintained-bugs list in the wiki.  I do think it is a great idea, as it needs no involvement from lime-tech (other than to fix them)

The second issue-tracker was set up by lime-tech and as of the last time I looked had only one item. (to increase the number of supported disks to 24) 

This is not "really" a bug, but an enhancement for those with 24 bay server enclosures.    I think there was another bug listed, as the only one showing is #2.  I do not see #1, so I can only guess it was deleted. (and hopefully fixed)

A note posted to the moderators indicated that Tom would make a general announcement about this "Issue Tracker" page in the wiki some-time this week.

Joe L.

I don't see AFP DB on the lime-tech list. Could be labeled bug or improvement. But should be on the list as well.

Update: just noticed we can add to it. So I have given it a shot, if it's disagreed upon. Please remove.

Update 2: Joe L. Had mentioned a bug from prior release, don't see it on the list.

Having a stable beta is certainly %100 each perspective. I've had nothing but random weird, odd issues. Ones that are so hard to figure out. Trying to down grade to 4.7 didn't work and if there was a down grade path available I would use it. I really want to go back to 4.7. I've never used a beta anything in my life and I'm sorry I started now. I've come across another "odd" issue with RC3. I primarily play my media with my Dune media player %100. Soon as I changed over to RC3 I started to notice file format play back issues. I'll have to try to play the same file several times for it to work. No errors in any logs of course. I'm guessing I'm the only one having this type of issue. I haven't seen it anywhere else. I've tried NFS and SMB. Is there a downgrade path available or its not in the cards?

I have a Dune media player too, but can play everything flawlessly. What hardware components do you have?

The unraid server operates fine in every environment I use it with. I don't think it is a hardware issue or I would see other issues. My Synology backup is running fine, so maybe I'll just wipe out my unraid box and copy everything back on using 4.7 again where things were working coolio.

Thank god, I never thought I would read another user is having the same exact issue I have been having. I've ran the file permissions utility several times. We can't be expected to run file permissions over and over and over. I run Sickbeard and Sabnzbd on another computer and that computer is what creates the folders/files on the unraid box. These default permissions are WRONG and need to be addressed. There must be a way to set ALL default file/folder permissions even if it is a local user on the server or a write coming from another computer. Maybe we can report this as a bug? I hope so.

I changed the /etc/profile file umask setting. It was 022. So to just TEST things out I set it to 755. Now when I log into the shell using Putty I get the error below. Even after changing back the umask to 022, the same error comes up.

Linux 3.0.31-unRAID.

: command not found

: command not found

-bash: /etc/profile: line 52: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'

'bash: /etc/profile: line 52: `elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/ksh" ]; then

I run Sickbeard and Sabnzbd on another computer and that computer is what creates the folders/files on the unraid box. These default permissions are WRONG and need to be addressed.

Do you think that this might be a problem with Dune, or with Sickbeard/Sabnzbd?

I perform all my torrent d/ls, disc copying etc on a desktop machine, then copy the files (mainly .mkv) to unRAID.  My Popcorn players have no problems with playing these files in their default condition.

I run Sickbeard and Sabnzbd on another computer and that computer is what creates the folders/files on the unraid box. These default permissions are WRONG and need to be addressed.

I perform all my torrent d/ls, disc copying etc on a desktop machine, then copy the files (mainly .mkv) to unRAID.  My Popcorn players have no problems with playing these files in their default condition.

Same for me.

Downloading and pre-processing is done on a windows machine. Results are copied over to the cache drive, and from there on daily basis moved to their final disk destination.

This process does not require me to change or adjust any permissions.

Btw How are your share permissions set up (public, secure, private) ?

Ok, just had my first serious IO issue due to the network dropping out.

No point in uploading the syslog, looks exactly the same as the last one minus that error regarding the packages you fixed with RC3.

I will test the NIC in windows on saturday, if it manages to read/write @ full speed then we still have a driver issue :(

May 23 09:56:39 Tower logger: Fri May 18 18:57:40 BST 2012 - Hard Drives active, resetting counter
May 23 09:57:06 Tower kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: link up (Network)
May 23 09:57:37 Tower last message repeated 20 times
May 23 09:57:39 Tower logger: Fri May 18 18:57:40 BST 2012 - Hard Drives active, resetting counter
May 23 09:57:40 Tower kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: link up (Network)
May 23 09:57:55 Tower last message repeated 6 times
May 23 09:58:26 Tower kernel: mdcmd (71): spindown 1 (Routine)
May 23 09:58:40 Tower logger: Fri May 18 18:57:40 BST 2012 - Hard Drives active, resetting counter
May 23 09:58:48 Tower kernel: mdcmd (72): spindown 3 (Routine)
May 23 09:58:48 Tower kernel: mdcmd (73): spindown 4 (Routine)
May 23 09:59:40 Tower logger: Fri May 18 18:57:40 BST 2012 - Hard Drives active, resetting counter

My rsync error'ed saying that the file was unable to be written, aka it lost connection!

Same for me.

Downloading and pre-processing is done on a windows machine. Results are copied over to the cache drive, and from there on daily basis moved to their final disk destination.

This process does not require me to change or adjust any permissions.

Btw How are your share permissions set up (public, secure, private) ?

My shares are wide open. All public and "everyone" has ALL access. Of course this just controls the Windows machines. Once the file/data is created I should be able to do what with I want, but I keep getting weird errors. I even attached one of the weird errors. All I'm trying to do is delete folders on my unraid box that were create by Sickbeard. There are no file permission defaults for Sickbeard, it uses all the unraid defaults when newly created file/folders are made. If I DO select try again, the folders will eventually be deleted. So I think it has to do with how unraid is communicating with my Windows? BYW, this happens on three different Windows machines. NOT a huge bug, but nevertheless maybe it will help out in the future.

tryagain.jpg

Remove the PHP package from unMenu. Once you've done that, run the "new permissions" script from the utils panel.

Which post are you referring to?

Ermmm... Either I had a brain fart, or the post I was replying to was deleted  :P

Was it this one?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20371.0

I'm still trying to thin out this thread and get people to post separate per-issue topics  ;)

I was not trying to get help, just letting a fellow UnRaid user know they were not alone in that problem, there for, I did not need to take the time and try to get a log.

I simply went back to a betea that I knew worked. And now after nearly 4 days, not a single hicup. So I make the right choice for my needs.

This is where posting your syslog is key. The hardware list helps, too.

If the system died completely before you could capture anything then post what you can from the next boot. Depending on the problem you'll likely get tips on how to capture enough from the crash to take the next step.

Without a completely obvious known problem or a syslog, everyone has to guess.

I'm still trying to thin out this thread and get people to post separate per-issue topics  ;)

Might be best to just LOCK the Release Thread (and future Release Threads) and have it as Announcement/Info from you.

That would then "force" users to use other (or new) threads

• 2 weeks later...

Might be best to just LOCK the Release Thread (and future Release Threads) and have it as Announcement/Info from you.

That would then "force" users to use other (or new) threads

I think that's a great idea!

Did the IO scheduler change between versions?

I've searched and as far as I can see (back to v4.0), it is now and has always been noop.  We had some discussions once, sure seems like cfq could be helpful, in particular (at least to me, not an expert here) with drives used for storing torrents and the like, not likely to help video drives or any that are predominantly sequential storage.  Might be time for some more benchmarking ... anyone?  (Can this be reliably benchmarked?)

Did the IO scheduler change between versions?

I've searched and as far as I can see (back to v4.0), it is now and has always been noop.  We had some discussions once, sure seems like cfq could be helpful, in particular (at least to me, not an expert here) with drives used for storing torrents and the like, not likely to help video drives or any that are predominantly sequential storage.  Might be time for some more benchmarking ... anyone?  (Can this be reliably benchmarked?)

Right, never changed from 'noop'.  I think anything other than 'noop', for the array disks, is going to degrade performance.  This is because the unraid driver has some optimization for handling writes, which could be undermined by the queue reordering algorithms.  Using cfq for the 'md' queues might help, never tried that.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...