X9SCM-F slow write speed, good read speed

Kernel 3.4.25 just got posted yesterday with this fix:

commit 711cf004f2148f1d1967bc5eca025019e5001212

Author: Sonny Rao <[email protected]>

Date:  Thu Dec 20 15:05:07 2012 -0800

mm: fix calculation of dirtyable memory

commit c8b74c2f6604923de91f8aa6539f8bb934736754 upstream.

The system uses global_dirtyable_memory() to calculate number of

dirtyable pages/pages that can be allocated to the page cache.  A bug

causes an underflow thus making the page count look like a big unsigned

number.  This in turn confuses the dirty writeback throttling to

aggressively write back pages as they become dirty (usually 1 page at a

time).  This generally only affects systems with highmem because the

underflowed count gets subtracted from the global count of dirtyable

memory.

The problem was introduced with v3.2-4896-gab8fabd

Fix is to ensure we don't get an underflowed total of either highmem or

global dirtyable memory.

Signed-off-by: Sonny Rao <[email protected]>

Signed-off-by: Puneet Kumar <[email protected]>

Acked-by: Johannes Weiner <[email protected]>

Tested-by: Damien Wyart <[email protected]>

Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <[email protected]>

Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email protected]>

I think this might fix the issues you guys are seeing with slow writes.  I'm building that kernel now and will be able to post a release for you to try.  Might be some time after football games though  ;)

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Im having the same problem!  I "upgraded" my C2SEE to an X9SCM-F today, and my speeds plummeted.  I added "sysctl vm.highmem_is_dirtyable=1" to my GO script and the speeds shot back up, but only for small files.  A file larger than 5GB just craps out at the 5GB mark.

I know I'm running a couple of plugins, but I have most of it disabled right now.  I literally unplugged my old motherboard (which was working great) and plugged in the new one. I made no changes to the software.,

Any would would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately, there is not much to learn from your syslog, as it is rather short (booted at 16:22:31, last log entry at 16:26:57).  There are no errors apparent, except that the server had previously crashed or been shut down improperly, and was therefore replaying transactions and starting a parity check, which would of course make the system appear very slow until it ends.  You cancelled it very quickly, then after a few minutes stopped the cache_dirs process, and there the syslog ends.

Perhaps try capturing a syslog after testing some problematic transfers?  If this syslog was captured after the slow 5GB transfer, then nothing appeared in the syslog about it.

Well, Im having the same problem!  I "upgraded" my C2SEE to an X9SCM-F today, and my speeds plummeted.  I added "sysctl vm.highmem_is_dirtyable=1" to my GO script and the speeds shot back up, but only for small files.  A file larger than 5GB just craps out at the 5GB mark.

I know I'm running a couple of plugins, but I have most of it disabled right now.  I literally unplugged my old motherboard (which was working great) and plugged in the new one. I made no changes to the software.,

Any would would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately, there is not much to learn from your syslog, as it is rather short (booted at 16:22:31, last log entry at 16:26:57).  There are no errors apparent, except that the server had previously crashed or been shut down improperly, and was therefore replaying transactions and starting a parity check, which would of course make the system appear very slow until it ends.  You cancelled it very quickly, then after a few minutes stopped the cache_dirs process, and there the syslog ends.

Perhaps try capturing a syslog after testing some problematic transfers?  If this syslog was captured after the slow 5GB transfer, then nothing appeared in the syslog about it.

Thanks. this was immediately after the copy failure.

For you guys with this 'slowdown' issue, please try this 'test' release and report back here:

http://download.lime-technology.com/download/unRAID%20Server%205.0-rc10-test%20AiO.zip

md5sum: 58fade2d78b11b77bf0fbba06903f421

If this helps the problem I'll create an 'offical' release for it, but for time being it's not necessary for everyone download.

As with most releases, it's only necessary to copy the files bzimage and bzroot to your flash device and then reboot the server.

For you guys with this 'slowdown' issue, please try this 'test' release and report back here:

http://download.lime-technology.com/download/unRAID%20Server%205.0-rc10-test%20AiO.zip

If this helps the problem I'll create an 'offical' release for it, but for time being it's not necessary for everyone download.

As with most releases, it's only necessary to copy the files bzimage and bzroot to your flash device and then reboot the server.

Do we test this with "sysctl vm.highmem_is_dirtyable=1" or no?

Do we test this with "sysctl vm.highmem_is_dirtyable=1" or no?

Remove doing anything with this.

am running with this release and without the dirtyable prameter. Speeds are below 1MB/s.

After activating the dirtyable paramter speeds climb up immediately, though it appears more slowly then they used to.. Am at 8 MB/s after copying a blueray, still climbing.

The next file starts at 14MB/ and moves up to 20 MB/s. Which is comparable to what I used to get in the previous version.

Release did not solve anything for me.

am running with this release and without the dirtyable prameter. Speeds are below 1MB/s.

After activating the dirtyable paramter speeds climb up immediately, though it appears more slowly then they used to.. Am at 8 MB/s after copying a blueray, still climbing.

The next file starts at 14MB/ and moves up to 20 MB/s. Which is comparable to what I used to get in the previous version.

Release did not solve anything for me.

Well that's disappointing.  As sanity check, type this command:

uname -a

Should see "3.4.25-unRAID" in there.

Is anybody Else's server flat out crashing during a copy operation?  I hit 2-5GB and then the server just craters. Most of the time I can telnet in and shut it down gracefully.

I just built/upgraded this server this past weekend.  I ran an overnight memtest, everything was functioning correctly before the upgrade. Ive disabled everything except simplefeatures and crashplan.  The server will run just fine, until I try to copy data to it.

Ive tried RC8 to RC10-test.

Thanks.

Is anybody Else's server flat out crashing during a copy operation?  I hit 2-5GB and then the server just craters. Most of the time I can telnet in and shut it down gracefully.

I just built/upgraded this server this past weekend.  I ran an overnight memtest, everything was functioning correctly before the upgrade. Ive disabled everything except simplefeatures and crashplan.  The server will run just fine, until I try to copy data to it.

Thanks.

I have a similar problem. I don't think the server actually crashes, but it sometimes becomes unresponsive during a big file copy and gives me an error that the file transfer cannot be completed.

When it cancels, I can access it normally again. This started happening when i upgraded 4GB ram to 16GB ram i think.. maybe i should switch back to 4gb and test it

Thanks.

I have a similar problem. I don't think the server actually crashes, but it sometimes becomes unresponsive during a big file copy and gives me an error that the file transfer cannot be completed.

When it cancels, I can access it normally again. This started happening when i upgraded 4GB ram to 16GB ram i think.. maybe i should switch back to 4gb and test it

I lose access to the web console...it never comes back.

Maybe I should pull one of the 8GB DIMMs.

Thanks.

actually.. if it becomes unresponsive, look at this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=23124.msg212864

Do you get errors like this in your syslog? After I upgraded my ram to 16GB, mine too became unresponsive when i was copying a big file and saw bunch of errors in syslog.

setting min_free_kbytes value to 65536 helped me...

Thanks.

actually.. if it becomes unresponsive, look at this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=23124.msg212864

Do you get errors like this in your syslog? After I upgraded my ram to 16GB, mine too became unresponsive when i was copying a big file and saw bunch of errors in syslog.

setting min_free_kbytes value to 65536 helped me...

Thanks!  Ill have a look at this tomorrow.  Ive had so many hangs/crashes I decided to run a parity check. Its reporting it will be done in 11 hours.

I can't test (or check) until tomorrow night because I am still attempting to preclear some 4tb drives prior to firing up my initial array on this box with a new x9scm mb (I RMAed the one that I had problems with last week for NIC port 1 - and the fact that it crashed the LAN side of my entire network a couple of times on the NIC 2 port).

FYI, the NIC 1 port in the new x9scm still doesn't work. As nice as Supermicro's tech support has been to deal with, I'm close to being done with the whole Supermicro IPMI experience. My other UnRAID box, with a non-SM mb works flawlessly. I wish that I could find another decent IPMI mb.

Not sure if this helps..

but I just downgraded my ram from 16GB to 4GB and I am getting solid write speed of 15 - 30 MB/s for files. no crapping out or nothing.

but I also know my 16GB don't have any problem because it ran memtest for few days without any errors...

You guys with slow write... is there anything in your motherboard bios that refers to "disk write cache" or "write caching", etc.?  This degree of slow down is exactly what I'd expect if write caching was turned off in the hard drives.

My MB doesn't have this option.. My board is ECS H61H2-M2.. I don't think anyone here uses this board lol

With 5.0-rc-10-test and no "sysctl vm.highmem_is_dirtyable=1" command, I am getting ~ 1 MB/s write speed.

verified that kernel is 3.4.25 and output of "netstat -nope" command (during slow write) below.  No emhttp with a TCP session in CLOSE_WAIT.

Moose login: root
Password: 
Linux 3.4.25-unRAID.
root@Moose:~# uname -a
Linux Moose 3.4.25-unRAID #1 SMP Sat Jan 12 16:14:59 PST 2013 i686 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31270 @ 3.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
root@Moose:~# netstat -nope
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       User       Inode       PID/Program name Timer
tcp   2426412      0 192.168.0.31:445        192.168.0.100:50374     ESTABLISHED 0          9464        2174/smbd        keepalive (6692.89/0/0)
tcp        0    172 192.168.0.31:23         192.168.0.100:50424     ESTABLISHED 0          9468        2214/in.telnetd: 19 on (0.47/0/0)
Active UNIX domain sockets (w/o servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node   PID/Program name    Path
unix  9      [ ]         DGRAM                    6207     1043/syslogd        /dev/log
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    4124     788/udevd           @/org/kernel/udev/udevd
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    10450    1200/emhttp         
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    9313     1192/crond          
unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     7278     1187/dbus-daemon    
unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     7277     1187/dbus-daemon    
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    10418    1177/acpid          
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    175      1170/ntpd           
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    7257     1153/rpc.statd      
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    6213     1149/rpc.portmap    
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    7244     1047/klogd          
unix  3      [ ]         DGRAM                    4129     788/udevd           
unix  3      [ ]         DGRAM                    4128     788/udevd           
root@Moose:~#