Out of Office until Oct 3

limetech

Can we lock this ridiculous thread please? It's devolved well beyond its original intention to instruct the community that Tom would be gone in October. It is now just another whiny "I get no love from Tom" thread. My eyes are bleeding from all the sanctimonious b.s. that is flying around now.  :-[

Why is it a ridiculous thread? Because the truth might hurt poor Tom and his loyal fanboys like yourself? The blind defending of Tom is embarassing to read. Calling for it to be locked is a cowards way and ignores the issues at hand.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should we all be posting "Thanks for leaving us in the dark Tom! Way to go dude, your the man! Keep doing what your doing" Really?

Or course not, everyone should waste their time posting large rants about lack of updates which will never get acknowledged by the company....

Some people never listen. Everyone has been told that like it or not, that's the way it has always been. I can't figure out how one user thinkz they are so important that their rants about lack of updates will make the company change how it operates. If anything, the rants do nothing but piss off the company and make updates even less likely.

I think there could be more information provided. In the big picture though, I care little either way. My server continues to operate 100% reliably as it has for the past 4 or so years since I built it. I really don't have anything I can complain about. So, I worry about bigger things. Here, I'm presently trying to help 2 different users recover from bad situations which is way more important than this "noise". It's rather funny to read some of the stuff posted here though.

I am somewhat confused on what's so horribly wrong with 8a though that it should not have even been a release candidate. I installed it and some plug-ins and my servers been up for a month without an issue since. I even went though a bunch of hot-swapping and rebuilding drives to install 3 new 3T drives without once rebooting.

Change the record. Nobody cares how long you have been running a buggy beta build, nor how stable you perceive it to be.

Can we lock this ridiculous thread please? It's devolved well beyond its original intention to instruct the community that Tom would be gone in October. It is now just another whiny "I get no love from Tom" thread. My eyes are bleeding from all the sanctimonious b.s. that is flying around now.  :-[

Why is it a ridiculous thread? Because the truth might hurt poor Tom and his loyal fanboys like yourself? The blind defending of Tom is embarassing to read. Calling for it to be locked is a cowards way and ignores the issues at hand.

As curious as it might seem, moderators have no power to do anything except add posts of their own to the threads under the "Announcements" forum.  Only Tom can lock a thread under "Announcements", or delete posts from it.  (if it is spammed)  As far as I know, he has never deleted a post from a disgruntled user of the product. 

As a moderator, I cannot speak for the others, but I have no way to contact Tom other than the same methods available to anybody else.  I have no phone number, no address, no private e-mail, nothin...  It is indeed frustrating at times, but he has disappeared many times over the years.  Once, years ago, he did confide of some family issues.  Other than that, we know exactly the same as you.   

Joe L.

maybe now your starting to understand.  Tom could have announced his return and closed the thread.  Instead he made an uninformative comment and disappeared again.  Ultimately it is his actions that are frustrating you, not ours

Change the record. Nobody cares how long you have been running a buggy beta build, nor how stable you perceive it to be.

Nice response. Oh well, the flip side of this dumb response means you shouldn't expect anyone to care about your problems or anything you post...

And you're wrong anyways. I'm fairly certain Limetech wants feedback. I really could care less what you perceive about my server either.

Nice response. Oh well, the flip side of this dumb response means you shouldn't expect anyone to care about your problems or anything you post...

And you're wrong anyways. I'm fairly certain Limetech wants feedback. I really could care less what you perceive about my server either.

Thats great that he wants feedback, but how can he expect us to invest ourselves and provide him this feedback if he won't participate.  Then you wonder why the quality of feedback in this thread has fallen.....

Thats great that he wants feedback, but how can he expect us to invest ourselves and provide him this feedback if he won't participate.  Then you wonder why the quality of feedback in this thread has fallen.....

I'm sure he wants feedback about the release, as was being discussed so he can fix the issues. I doubt he cares much about the "constructive" feedback here except to laugh some of it.

@aiden

Oh please can you just get over yourself, obviously you like contributing to this based on your last post.  You don't have to read this thread.  Nobody is forcing you to keep reading it. That's a choice you can make.  Just simply GO AWAY! to another thread.  No need to keep posting stuff like this.

As for the rest of you babies .. Do you want some cheese with that wine.  Please STOP the wining.  Its not solving the problem.  If you don't like the product, you don't like the customer service, You don't like the company, then VOTE with your pocket book.  Go to some other company, or to another developer.  Be part of the Solution, not part of the problem.  Even if that means you make the choice to go elsewhere with your business.

It looks like Tom needs some help and we have identified some issues, as a community how can we help him instead of WINE all the time.  As the Marines say, Lead, Follow or get out of the way! I can now see why Tom does not say anything.  Its useless and leads to more wining.

Couldn't help but laugh at the "wining".  At least it wasn't Charlie Sheen's "winning".

http://www.zazzle.com/wine_vs_whine_tshirts-235703365877815484

FWIW - Tom, it is hard to create a product so far ahead of its time that no one has been able to match it after many years.  Hope the idiots who want to tell you how to do you job or how your updates don't match their schedule don't distract too much from your product.

@aiden - not directing this at you, I agree with your point.  Again, just thought the spelling was funny.  Of course, maybe the complainers need more wining?

As I noted last night, the ONLY thing Tom did "wrong" was to post the note that started this thread  :)

That created a (reasonable) expectation that there would be some additional communications after 3 October.    ... and when there wasn't, the thread devolved into 15 pages of complaints!!

While I certainly don't agree with his "no communications between releases" way of working, that's simply the way it is.    Nobody likes it -- but in general we're all happy with the product ... and as I also noted last night, as long as key requests are handled expeditiously (they clearly are), there's no reason to complain.    That's simply his "modus operandi"

That created a (reasonable) expectation that there would be some additional communications after 3 October.   

Well, he did not specify which October 3rd...  ;) There is another one in just under 9 months, if the Mayans are not correct. 8)

The Mayans were/are correct.  the calendar ends on December 21st, but it does not mean the end of the world.  It is the end of an age and the start of a new age.  Perhaps Tom is waiting for December 22nd and will release unRaid v5.0 Final and usher in a new age of unRaid. :D

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Shortens what I wanted to post. Once again Tom proves the lack of any moral obligation to his paying customers.

This forum still exists, It's paid for and functioning.

There's more going on here then we know about.

As pointed out by the quoted message, If you have something to say like this, then say it directly to Tom's email address.

I almost get the image of a witch hunt here with villagers carrying flaming pitchforks.

For the record I have emailed Tom directly with a problem with the RC and though it was read it was not replied to.

Joe L. For the record Tom did delete one of my post for slamming him and later put back which was the right thing to do. As that would have opened another can of worms.

I read the "thanks Tom / Keep it up Tom / great work / etc..." the B.S condoning the level of service we receive and while some find it acceptable, look the other way, etc. that's fine I believe to each his own, and don't trash those posters but god forbid anyone speaks up, then somehow you're a whiner... and so many have something to say.

Its a fact that Samba has a bug, once again I state Tom could have updated the RC to at the very least fix that. I don't need nor care to know what he had for breakfast, he doesn't have to even post, but updating unRAID software and acknowledging bug reports.

Roadmap forum abandoned. In RC announcement threads people beg, plead, request updates, no response. RC bug forum, people spend the time testing and posting bugs no response from Tom. I hope him and his family are well, but all that's being stated is speculation for his behavior. He is a grown man and can stick up for himself. Mods have no more insight than anyone else yet make statements like "hang in there things are in the works" well that's not from the horses mouth. Im still waiting on

we will be hitting it hard to get this done a.s.a.p.

I purchased a dual Pro license and had I know this is the level of commitment, I would have gone elsewhere. I sank money into the licensing and large amounts into the hardware, not overlooking the time spent trying to help and support originally. So yeah I would like a v5 final to get a return on my investment. From there I will choose my path. And I think anyone thinking of coming onboard should have all the facts and make there decision, I have plenty of friends I made aware of and have purchased unRaid licenses, who too feel like WTF. Not everyone posts but that does not mean that many are unhappy. And many are in the same boat where  requesting their money back for the licensing is only a small drop in the bucket for what we have invested into bring up an unRAID server. Not everyone use this product for just media archiving, so its very important to feel the product is stable and will protect your data and function properly.

I have no gripes with the unRAID community, many talented individuals which offer great assistance and for which they do on their own time with no compensation.

If your usb drive dies then email Tom, people have reported very frequently that they get a replacement key prompty.

One little tip: Try and use a usb drive that contains an SD card, what fails in the end with solid state memory is the memory itself (which is on the SD card), the code that is specific to the license is not in the memory but in the logic of the usb drive.

If you use an SD to USB adaptor it functions as a USB drive but if the memory fails and you replace the SD the license will still work.

I am planning to use the following one the momemt my current drive fails:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/278664/kingston-sdhc-16gb-class-4-+-mobileliteg2-reader.html

What if my USB key dies am I F#^%??? - I am assuming that New Pro Licenses are being processed everyday?

So someones taking money in correct?

AJ

Something that needs said again.

ALL - 100% - complete - unRAID official support is done via email. Reports are generally positive that this is quick.

These forums are the GPL community as a whole  and are not a measure/support channel of the company itself.

This comment is unrelated to updates, V5, announcements or testing.

I purchased a dual Pro license and had I know this is the level of commitment, I would have gone elsewhere. I sank money into the licensing and large amounts into the hardware, not overlooking the time spent trying to help and support originally. So yeah I would like a v5 final to get a return on my investment. From there I will choose my path. And I think anyone thinking of coming onboard should have all the facts and make there decision, I have plenty of friends I made aware of and have purchased unRaid licenses, who too feel like WTF. Not everyone posts but that does not mean that many are unhappy. And many are in the same boat where  requesting their money back for the licensing is only a small drop in the bucket for what we have invested into bring up an unRAID server. Not everyone use this product for just media archiving, so its very important to feel the product is stable and will protect your data and function properly.

I have no gripes with the unRAID community, many talented individuals which offer great assistance and for which they do on their own time with no compensation.

Exactly,  I if I would have known in advance the level of commitment to this software, I would not have even considered this product.  I did however buy two pro licenses.  Now, whenever friends ask me about the software, I don't even recommend it.  People considering this software should know that the future of this product is obviously all but certain.

People considering this software should know that the future of this product is obviously all but certain.

Actually, that's a ringing endorsement  :)  If the future is "all but certain" that means it is as close to certain as you can get!

I have been running unRAID for over a year now.  I started on v5 beta14 and am now running RC 6 8168 test 2.  Any problems I have had have quickly been resolved by members of these forums.  Usually, the solution involves disabling plugins and then re-enabling them after the problem is solved.  I am quite pleased with unRAID and have recommended it to many friends and will continue to do so.  Despite its problems (minor from my point of view but, possibly, major issues for other users), I find that it gives me a lot of functionality and flexibility that competing products do not.

Sure, I wish communication was more frequent and progress on known issues (assuming they are not kernel related) was a bit faster, but, it is what it is and unless unRAID decides to start deleting my files on its own, I am happy with it.  Anyone with a different opinion is certainly equally welcome to see things differently.

What if my USB key dies am I F#^%??? - I am assuming that New Pro Licenses are being processed everyday?

So someones taking money in correct?

AJ

Something that needs said again.

ALL - 100% - complete - unRAID official support is done via email. Reports are generally positive that this is quick.

These forums are the GPL community as a whole  and are not a measure/support channel of the company itself.

This comment is unrelated to updates, V5, announcements or testing.

I think my comment fits in very Crystal Clear... He is communicating to New customers and current GPL's VIA email for activation etc

Jeez my conscious would be saying you know, I screwed up by not replying to anyone on this or any thread !!!!!!!! 

I need to let the community know that (don't have to tell the truth) I am back... (He can makeup any BS he wants) and the GPL or what ever will accept and move on...

My 2 cents worth..

AJ

These forums.... Maybe you've read this thread?

LOL. Basing your conclusion on these forums in that manner is a total failure.

Indeed.  The many happy users of the 5.0RC8A release (and others) are just that - happy.  We tend to sit quietly watching others throw tantrums while getting on with our own lives (and with our own usage of unRAID) very contentedly. 

It seems a safe bet to me (and based on customer feedback profiles in general) that it is always a minority of unhappy users that make most of the noise.  The happy customers seldom even bother to say that they are happy (my company sells about 500,000 consumer electronics items a year, btw).  So drawing conclusions based on the forum content (and threads like this one) is generally not going to give a balanced view.

Tom's business is his to run, his to set the priorities for.  He posts on the forums when he wants to, not when we want him to.  If you don't like it, that's your choice to make, and I have no issue with it personally, but keep in mind that the forums are not his primary means of support to the customer base.

Just my 2 cents.