Out of Office until Oct 3

limetech

After reading this shitshow of a thread and others like it I'd make it my business to not post in these forums either if I was Tom.

You know may be hes sick, maybe someone in his family died.  Who knows but sweet Jesus none of you are entilted to consistant updates; none of you.  Microsoft doesn't give timely updates to their products via forums by higher up executives and they certainly don't respond to whining.

You have been given what you paid for a working stable release in 4.7.  Think of it as buying a PC with Windows 7 knowing Windows 8 is coming out and you are told you will receive a free upgrade when the product is released........ WHEN IT IS RELEASED.  unRAID rc is still pre-release software just like the consumer previews of Windows 8 use at your own risk.

I've read Toms messages releating to more consistant updates... Maybe after threads like these he changed his mind.  Would it make you all feel better if he came on the forums and told you that he's sick of the whining and will not be giving consistant updates ?

Everyone grow up !!!

Kryspy

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... Microsoft doesn't give timely updates to their products via forums by higher up executives and they certainly don't respond to whining....

Actually they do. But comparing unRAID to M$, Apple etc is not a fair comparison in the positive or negative.

Really, Steve Ballmer personally addresses forum posts?

Kryspy

Stop making ridiculous arguments. If Limetech had any employees that gave a sh*t enough to post in their own official forum more than once a year, we wouldn't care if it was an intern, Barack Obama, The Pope or The Dalai Lama.  :)

I think the point he was trying to make is MS has way more employee's, many of whom's only job is to post on the forums, blogs and websites. Lime-tech, on the other hand, as far as we know, is a one-man operation, making him the CEO, CFO, PR Rep, "blogger", Customer service rep, programmer, marketing all in one, and isn't a fair comparison to the workforce MS or Apple have.

Not saying its impossible to post more, but that its a different scenario than any other mentioned company.

@neilt0, I would care if it was Obama, the Pope or The Dalai Lama. I don't think any of them would have much to say that I'd be too interested in regarding unraid,  8)

Yes, I'm aware of the size of Limetech. That doesn't prohibit the owner/CEO/whatever from posting an update once a month. Or designating a volunteer mod to pass on communiqués from his holiness.

It was actually fine for Limetech to not post here for a while, until they start promising to give us updates and failing to do so.

Or starting this thread and never posting again!

Far better to give us nothing than to over-promise and under-deliver.

Comparing Ballmer and Tom is akin to comparing apples to walnuts. MS is huge with many employees Ballmer can delegate to post on forums and such.  Apparently, Tom has no other employees so if anyone is to do it, it has to be him.  People complain about not hearing from Tom because he is all there is.  He has so many titles because there is so much less that needs done at Lime Tech than at a company like MS.

I don't understand why Tom doesn't get with some of the mods and pull them in as a sort of "Team unRAID".  Not necessarily employees or anything, but official spokespeople who he can delegate to handle official support and communicate status updates.  I don't think anyone truly cares whether we hear from Tom or not, we would just like to hear from somebody in the know.

You seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying. I am one of the happy ones... But with an element of uncertainty created by some problems and a virtually non-existent developer, I don't recommend unraid to anyone without a serious level of comfort in Linux. I believe Tom was hoping to reach a wider audience of non-Linux people, a group he has alienated with his communication policies.

For the record.. I don't think 4.7 is a sellable product anymore - mainly because of it's 2TB drive limit. I equate that to a CDMA cell phone, or a 5MP camera... The tech has moved on.

Personally I believe Tom is working on the multi-array stuff so he can get his storage appliance on the market and get some money rolling in. What ever version of unraid goes on that device will be 5.0-final. No sooner, and no later.

whiteatom

I think the whole product needs an overhaul.  To be honest I am not using it at all at the moment due to my need for a stable functional DVR platform.  I mean reiserfs should be everyone's first clue.  I mean I know it's a killer file system and all ;)

Kryspy

I am on need of a new fridge...

Unraid is a storage platform, has got nothing to do with a pvr

Umm I did make a statement saying I wasnt currently using it because I needed a PVR platform.  Thanks for reiterating my statement.  Someone should tell the people using the TVHeadend pugin this piece of information.

Kryspy

The plugin is not developped by Limtech... It might be possible for someone to make something work on unraid, and part of the reason I like the platform is that stuff like that is possible, but it is not the core functionality that limetech is delivering

Read the last few pages.

I will just say this: I posted a question about a driver for my disk controller on the NAS4FREE forum two weeks ago, when I was experimenting with that system. Nice guys, but it took seven days to get a response, and then that response was to ask me how it turned out. This system provides better support.

I could always have bought a Synology NAS and not had to worry about crowd support (with its ups and downs). I just didn't have the extra grand-plus laying around.

Rick "who already has a DLINK DNS-323, which is polished enough but provides no knobs to turn" Denney

You have been given what you paid for a working stable release in 4.7. 

4.7 is not a working stable release and has 3 major bugs. We have not got what we paid for until 4.7 is patched, (as Tom said he would do to 4.7.1) or replaced by a stable version 5. Neither has happened.

You have been given what you paid for a working stable release in 4.7. 

4.7 is not a working stable release and has 3 major bugs. We have not got what we paid for until 4.7 is patched, (as Tom said he would do to 4.7.1) or replaced by a stable version 5. Neither has happened.

This is not true. No software is guaranteed to be free from defects nor is there any obligation for the developer to remedy any flaws, i.e., Microsoft. Software is sold "as is." The flaws in unRAID 4.7 are not so egregious as to prevent the software for being used for purpose as demonstrated by its ongoing use. The chances of experiencing any of the flaws is exiguous, judging by forum postings. Two of flaws in 4.7 have workarounds documented in this thread. The third flaw must be avoided by operational consideration.

No one thinks it's odd that we are getting one RC update every 2 months?  RC 6 hit on July 10th, there was no RC 7 as far as I can tell, RC 8 hit on Sept 16. 

I bought my Pro account in Sept. of 2011.  At that time the current release was Beta 8 or 9.  I have never used 4.7.  Why would I, 5.0 should have been ready to go a long time ago.  My set up is rather stable.  I like that. What concerns me is that I have paid for a product that is slowly dying.  Not matter how you look at this The final version of 5.0 should have been out long ago with the promised features.  It's been disappointing. 

No one thinks it's odd that we are getting one RC update every 2 months?  RC 6 hit on July 10th, there was no RC 7 as far as I can tell, RC 8 hit on Sept 16. 

I bought my Pro account in Sept. of 2011.  At that time the current release was Beta 8 or 9.  I have never used 4.7.  Why would I, 5.0 should have been ready to go a long time ago.  My set up is rather stable.  I like that. What concerns me is that I have paid for a product that is slowly dying.  Not matter how you look at this The final version of 5.0 should have been out long ago with the promised features.  It's been disappointing.

+1

–1

Really, Steve Ballmer personally addresses forum posts?

Kryspy

If Ballmer was the sole developer and employee of Microsoft working on Windows, I would damn well expect him to reply to my posts.

All jokes aside, Tom needs to realize that his company revenues and success largely depend on these people on the forums. I found out about unraid through xbmc forums, where the same people who post on unraid forums were posting. This was a year ago. They all had great things to say about it. I jumped in without thinking twice.

Now on xbmc forums, people keep talking about the lack of development and developer support. I don't see many people jumping onto unraid based on comments like that.

Let's face it, unraid is sort of a niche product. And the users do the majority of the marketing and promotions (and for free I might add). Tom better keeps us happy or he won't have a profitable business to run.

In simple terms people buy products because they believe that the product will fill a particular need, usually that need is immediate in nature. All of Tom's customers believe this to be true. When you give Tom your hard earned dollars you enter into an agreement that your need will be met by Tom's product. If in some way it falls short of your expectation or exhibits unintended behavior, you as a customer have recourse against Limetech for losses incurred.

Moreover, I do not buy a product for what it will become but rather for what it is.  In fact, the majority of my purchases degrade with time, software is special in that it can evolve. However, the promise of product evolution was not made to me when I purchased unRAID though I am glad that innovation occurs (i.e.: 3TB support).

I also wonder how many of those who are clamoring over the 4.7 rebuild bug have actually experienced it and simply using it as a point of contention... I (and the countless individuals running unRAID because of my praise) have yet to encounter any show-stopping bugs, perhaps had we, my attitude towards unRAID as a product would be truly different and I would certainly refrain from recommending it to others in the future. To my recollection though, unRAID has performed quite admirably and it fullfils its initial promise.

And finally with every small business, word-of-mouth marketing can be an owner's best friend or worst enemy. Having said that, I must say that despite how Tom feels about this ongoing drama, it is clear that it is turning into a PR nightmare for him and for his product. No one can dispute that fact. If Tom's intention is to grow unRAID's user base, decisive action must be taken. Failure to do so, in my opinion, is bad business sense.

I do not buy a product for what it will become but rather for what it is.

However, the level of activity for a software product has a place in purchase decisions.

I think the argument some are proposing that basically amounts to "I purchased Unraid with the expectation that it will eventually be better than it currently is" is a bit off.  But, saying "I'm holding off on purchasing Unraid because it appears that development activity for it is waning and I'd rather invest in a more active project" is a perfectly understandable position.

Further, I believe that exchanging "expectation" for "hope" in my first paraphrase makes it a perfectly acceptable position as well.  Toms lack of communication is certainly diminishing that "hope" for some, and that sense of loss is manifesting as anger for a growing number of them.

Archived