Out of Office until Oct 3

limetech

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is everyone else on this board 12 years old?

Honestly, the majority of you people whining about an update disgust me.

The majority of people in this thread have fairly put across their positions albeit it passionately.

Saying they disgust you is inflammatory.

Please lets keep this on topic

Keep up the good work there Tom! You know you got a good product when people want to see the next thing you've got coming. And any talk of unraid dying is nonsense. If we ever got to a point where nobody was complaining then we might want to have that discussion.

I don't need constant updates. But now since we basically have really good support for a lot of hardware in the latest kernels and I wonder though if newer versions 5.x will focus more on the unraid core. I'm thinking things like dual parity which is becoming more and more important with the larger drives.

Just wanted to say that I've found myself annoyed by the historical lack of communication before, but after 5 years of rock solid performance from my unRAID server, I got over it.

4.7 may have documented bugs remaining, but I have never experienced them.  My use of unRAID is simple, but I believe that my use is what is advertised.

I also have a free version running 5.0-beta4 and it has been issue-free for somewhere around a year now.  I'm sure it has many bugs that are addressed in later versions, but again, I have no experienced them in my use of unRAID as a simple file/media server.

I would like more communication as to what the current status is and whatnot.  If for nothing more than to curb modest curiosity.  If I don't get it, I know my servers will continue to run, so thanks for the same excellent product I purchased years ago.

I still recommend unRAID for those looking for a file/media server.  Not on professional levels, but definitely in a personal/home capacity.  I don't think unRAID is going anywhere simply because Tom neglects to respond to the type of posts made here every few months this occurs.  It may negatively affect rising business levels to get this kind of word-of-mouth, but I think business is doing well enough to keep him tied up like he is...plus his servers seem to sell out fairly often (I don't know about recently).

Anyway, in the end, I've probably only regurgitated one side of this argument and didn't do anything but get my kick in on a dead horse.

Just wanted to say that I've found myself annoyed by the historical lack of communication before, but after 5 years of rock solid performance from my unRAID server, I got over it.

4.7 may have documented bugs remaining, but I have never experienced them.  My use of unRAID is simple, but I believe that my use is what is advertised.

I also have a free version running 5.0-beta4 and it has been issue-free for somewhere around a year now.  I'm sure it has many bugs that are addressed in later versions, but again, I have no experienced them in my use of unRAID as a simple file/media server.

I would like more communication as to what the current status is and whatnot.  If for nothing more than to curb modest curiosity.  If I don't get it, I know my servers will continue to run, so thanks for the same excellent product I purchased years ago.

I still recommend unRAID for those looking for a file/media server.  Not on professional levels, but definitely in a personal/home capacity.  I don't think unRAID is going anywhere simply because Tom neglects to respond to the type of posts made here every few months this occurs.  It may negatively affect rising business levels to get this kind of word-of-mouth, but I think business is doing well enough to keep him tied up like he is...plus his servers seem to sell out fairly often (I don't know about recently).

Anyway, in the end, I've probably only regurgitated one side of this argument and didn't do anything but get my kick in on a dead horse.

Hear, hear!

try writing an email to Adobe and expect a personal reply about why the new version of product x isn't out yet. It ain't gonna happen. Maybe if people stopped emailing and begging for new versions, Tom could concentrate on actual coding.

unRAID is a well-functioning product, and I really don't understand the hangups about a new version not being released in the timeframe one has imagined. Seriously people...

unRAID is a well-functioning product, and I really don't understand the hangups about a new version not being released in the timeframe one has imagined. Seriously people...

If Adobe stopped patching Acrobat 11 because Acrobat 12 was supposed to be just around the corner, people would be upset if a year and a half later Acrobat 12 still wasn't released.

Tom has pretty much said the bugs in unRAID 4.7 are worthy of patches, even going so far as to say he was going to work on a 4.7.1, but he still hasn't come out with that or v5-final.

I suggest that if you aren't happy with unRAID, move on to something else. We all understand the situation. We all understand we are powerless to change it. Lets focus on what we can do.

Which is what exactly?  Some amount of complaining seems potentially productive, particularly if its not just limited to the unRAID forums.  I bet a large number of unRAID customers found out about unRAID via word-of-mouth.  I have to assume warnings about untimely updates is going to scare off some potential users, and eat away at Lime Technology's bottom line. That's probably the only thing that has a chance to change things.

Lime-technology isn't a multinational company employing 7,500 people. It's a one-man sweatshop.

I was only using Adobe as an example because the post I was responding to did.  But, to be honest, the fact that unRAID seems to be a one-man shop probably makes it easier for him to put out a quick 4.7.1 release (backporting the fixes he already put in the v5 track) once it was clear v5 wasn't going to be released anytime soon.

Regardless of company size, 22 months is an awfully long time to go between releases when there are known bugs (with known fixes).  I'm surprised there's anyone that doesn't find that unacceptable.

Complaining is useful if it brings constructive criticism or problems to the attention of Tom. Complaining isn't useful when its repeated (over and over again...) or fails to be objective.

From my perspective, complaining isn't useful unless it actually has an impact.  But I guess in some ways I think we agree.  Complaining here isn't particularly useful because I think Tom is well aware of the frustration.  Still, I don't see why warning potential users of the timeliness of official releases is "flinging mud."  I think the fact that its been 22 months since an official release is absolutely a relevant data point for potential customers.

Look, when it comes to beta software (including release candidates) you can't have it both ways- either its the official, stable release or its not.  Beta software has always meant, including here, that its not stable yet.  If you went back a couple years and someone complained about problems with a beta release, there would have been several people jumping on the thread saying you have to expect that with betas.  I realize that's not quite happening now, though, but that appears to be because we've been stuck on the betas for such a long time.  It's my understanding that Tom is still only putting v4.7 on the flash drives he's selling.  If he really thought v5 was done and ready he would have renamed an RC.  But he didn't do that, and there appears to still be some bug fixes and features going into v5 before its actually released.

Basically, I think a lot of the people defending the v5-RCs are essentially making them a special case because of all the trouble Tom has had putting v5 to bed.  But, at least from my perspective, I'm less annoyed that Tom has had trouble with finalizing v5 and more annoyed that he didn't patch v4.7 like he said he was going to a long time ago.  I understand there's been some unique challenges hanging up v5 development, but that doesn't explain why he didn't put out a v4.7.1.

I have to assume warnings about untimely updates is going to scare off some potential users, and eat away at Lime Technology's bottom line.

And how, exactly, is that going to help us, who are committed to unRAID as the most suitable available product?

I'm surprised that Tom hasn't thought that, with all the complaints here in the forum, it's just not worth continuing to develop the product.

"... I'm surprised that Tom hasn't thought that, with all the complaints here in the forum, it's just not worth continuing to develop the product. "  ==>  I certainly hope that's not the case;  but I agree that the tone of this thread could easily result in him doing exactly that !!

As I noted earlier, the only mistake he made was in starting this thread -- which clearly gave an understandable expectation that there would be further status info posted when he returned from vacation in early October.

I also agree that the current Release Candidate is very stable.    I think this nomenclature is meant to suggest it's beyond the "beta" stage ... i.e. it's very stable, but needs a bit of feedback to ensure there are no serious bugs and/or needs an anticpated update to a key component (e.g. Samba).

In the absence of significant issues [in this case, there is at least one -- that can be resolved with an updated Samba], the current release could very well simply "become" the "final" ... as happened with v4.7  [as noted by this note in the v4.7 release announcement:  "... This is exactly the same as 4.7-beta1 except for the version string changed to simply "4.7".]

I sincerely hope that Tom's close to releasing v5 "Final" ... and that it's close to the current RC with the Samba fix and any other significant issues he's aware of.    I certainly hope he's not trying to add a bunch of additional features he's alluded to before finalizing v5 ==> multiple array support;  plug-in support;  etc.    These should be in a FUTURE release !!

And how, exactly, is that going to help us, who are committed to unRAID as the most suitable available product?

Look, I'm an unRAID user too.  I certainly want Tom and unRAID to succeed and grow.  But I also want more timely updates, and better communication would be nice too (though, I'd probably say an official issue/bug tracker would be more useful than updates from Tom).  So what does not that mean in context to my previous post?  Well, I'm assuming that since unRAID is a commercial product that Tom has a profit motive to do what customers demand.  So I'm expecting that Tom would simply work on his development/release and communication issues before he would close up shop.

I don't think most of us are looking for anything that would be all that difficult or time consuming for Tom.  Surely he can do better than a two year release gap.  And I think there are a variety of ways he could improve communication without requiring a significant time investment.

:(

Is this still going on?..

If i was tom, i would have given this all up some time ago.. Cause of those people complaining here..

Just use latest beta, it is stable enough.. If you still complain, then go away from unraid and use something else..

I think we can be very pleased if tom would still continue... I would certainly not..

:(

Is this still going on?..

If i was tom, i would have given this all up some time ago.. Cause of those people complaining here..

That would be understandable if unRaid was a free product.

Just use latest beta, it is stable enough.. If you still complain, then go away from unraid and use something else..

One of the reasons why I bought unRaid was the promise of ongoing support and upgrades, otherwise I would have gone with FlexRaid.  I was told that 5.0 was around the corner.  That was well over a year ago.  At the very least, I'd want some updates on the progress, but we aren't even given that.

Obviously complaining will not make updates happen any sooner, so I'm not going to pile on the 'Toms' bad' sentiment here.

I only posted to inquire why Tom would take time during a Hawaiian vacation to tell us he'd get an update soon, and keep us better informed, then not provide any further information for 2 months.  It's just a very strange thing to do.  I know life can overwhelm us, and make it hard to stay on top of the stuff we know we should be doing, but it just seems that a 'once a week update' wouldn't take more than an hour to provide, and would keep the 'we love unRAID' feelings going strong.

I wonder if something serious has happened to Tom, like getting thrown in prison, and not having access to a computer, or something similar.

I hope all is well, and don't forget Christmas is right around the corner, and I know what a lot of these folks would like to have 'under the tree' :)

I'd say Tom is just waiting out the Mayans to see if the world is going to go on. I mean if the world does end... Who wants to spend the last few months programming? If, by some miracle dec 22 does come, we'll likely see regular updates after that.

:)

I think the Mayans just figured their calender hitting 2012 was far enough... Maybe the guy writing it got thrown in jail or something? :P

I mean, when you go to office max to buy a calendar it doesn't go through 4024 does it?

Seriously though, I love unraid, tom has his methods and I can live with that. The core functionality is stable for me. I know its not good enough for everyone.

Peace, love, live long & prosper.

The current version has given me the most issues of all the 5x betas/RCs.  The samba issue is a real one and quite visible.

If I was a new user to unRAID and downloaded the latest RC just find a fairly big issue that's been there unresolved (nor even addressed by the developer) for a couple of months, I doubt I'd continue down the unRAID track.

Sure, there is a hack/fix with the instructions found somewhere on this forum, but it's not enough for a product that the developer wants me to pay for.

As it is I've been spending a bit of time looking at what alternatives there are out there.  That's not something I would have bothered with if I felt the product, which I paid for and performs a very important part of my infrastructure, was adequately supported and maintained by the developer. 

I don't want to the hassle of moving platforms and having to set everything up again but I'm slowly reaching the point where I feel it needs to be done so I can sleep soundly at nights again.

I've emailed Limetech and had no response on what is happening at all. It's really sad to see this happening to what was a thriving product.

What else will v5 final give you that you don't already have? Peace of mind?

I suggest that if you aren't happy with unRAID, move on to something else. We all understand the situation. We all understand we are powerless to change it. Lets focus on what we can do.

A lot of people in this thread have said that people should stop complaining on the forums and email him direct. So I did. I was just saying that I have not had a response. I was very polite and simple asked if they had an idea of the future as to when 4.7 would be patched as promised to 4.7.1, or a stable final version 5 would come out.

Since people seem not to want to read this thread and/or are unaware of the actual complaints in this thread and on the forums, let me spell it out again for about the 100th time:

4.7 is not stable and has bugs

5.X is not stable and has bugs

Which part of the above is not understandable? People have paid for a working product. They do not want to be installing a product that they have to patch/hack and have blind faith in the fact it will work and protect their data. That is why we PAY for unraid. The support and reliability and functionality. This has evaporated. It is irrelevant that person X has been running beta version Y for Z years. This means nothing.

Futher more:

Tom has stated that he would patch 4.7 to 4.7.1 to fix the major bugs that can cause data loss (in a product that aims to prevent data loss) 1.5 years ago. Nothing has come of it due to efforts to produce a version 5 final to replace it. This is still outstanding. People have a fair reason to want a version 5 right now, i.e. it would be the only working stable release of unraid. No version is currently bug free.

The lack of comms is unacceptable to his customers.

4.7 is not stable and has bugs
Stable for me the last time I used it.

5.X is not stable and has bugs
Stable for me no problems encountered could just rename RC4 as final for me.  Haven't tried any of the later RC's yet.

Each time yourself or someone reports that they did not encounter (known) problems is like ignoring that there are any.

As an analogy, that is like saying that your Toyota car that was recalled for brake problems (but you continued using it without getting it fixed) has never had a problem when you have used it. So what? It still has potential to cause damage so it must be fixed.