unRAID with SABnzbd

markus101

With regard to the ports during install, the easy way around it is to simply specify a port in your go script (or *.d script, depending on how you launch SAB)... for example, I call SAB in this manner:

python /mnt/cache/.custom/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 192.168.1.10:88

Conversation regarding the precise port to use notwithstanding (i.e. higher than 1024), this is one way you can do it without disabling unMENU.

The problem with doing it there is that it is hidden, and the setting in the UI for the tools becomes pointless.  I think it might be confusing for people who try to change the port via the UI and have it never take effect.  Also, I'm not sure how that would deal with DHCP implementations, what does it do if the address changes?

IMHO, the install at the OS level should be as light as possible, leaving the configuration of the tool to it's internal configuration setup.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is exactly what I am doing as well, just passing the port through in the go script instead of relying on the config file for it.  Works great.  I'll go ahead and propose these ports, not because you have to use them but for beginners it helps to have a known good scenario, every time you say "but you can use whatever path you want" or "but you can use whatever port you want" we are actually making it harder for beginners, not easier, and people with a more advanced skillset don't actually need to be reminded that they can tweak the parameters.  

I am using these ports and they work great, unless someone has a reason not to use them I can just add it to the wiki and to the go script section of the wiki:

8080 unMenu

8081 SABnzbd

8082 Sickbeard

8083 CouchPotato

The problem with doing it there is that it is hidden, and the setting in the UI for the tools becomes pointless.  I think it might be confusing for people who try to change the port via the UI and have it never take effect.  Also, I'm not sure how that would deal with DHCP implementations, what does it do if the address changes?

IMHO, the install at the OS level should be as light as possible, leaving the configuration of the tool to it's internal configuration setup.

I didn't think about this but you make a pretty good point.  I did spend 20 minutes scratching my head as to why the ports in the config file were ignored initially when it was due to the fact that I was overriding them in the go script and had forgotten about it.  I take back what I said about putting it in the go script then :D

As a beginner I am ok with those ports!

I don't even know how to disable UNMENU at this point (just comment it out in my GO script I guess?)

If its ok to mark SAB's port in the go script I'd say do it once the first time to ensure it boots right, then adjust it to 8081, then take it out of the go script. that would work, right?

OK, this is what I recommend. In the Install section right before editing the go file do the following. Run Sab the first time using the following command line.

python /mnt/cache/.custom/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -s 192.168.1.1:8082 -d

Of course, use the correct IP address. Then, when you edit the config file and restart Sab or reboot unRAID the IP and port are not fixed in the go file. No need to stop unMENU or any other such thing.

Peter

I am using these ports and they work great, unless someone has a reason not to use them I can just add it to the wiki and to the go script section of the wiki:

8080 unMenu

8081 SABnzbd

8082 Sickbeard

8083 CouchPotato

Maybe I'm more security minded than others, but I haven't seen anyone ask what of the SSL/Secure ports? I think the default SABnzbd port is 8083. In the sabnzbd.ini file under the [misc] section it's the https_port parameter.

Maybe I'm more security minded than others, but I haven't seen anyone ask what of the SSL/Secure ports? I think the default SABnzbd port is 8083. In the sabnzbd.ini file under the [misc] section it's the https_port parameter.

That's a good point, I don't use it because it is only accessable from my home network anyway.  I don't think we should gear the wiki entry to deal with every possible solution, perhaps enabling SSL could be under the advanced topics section?

I think it might be an idea to split this thread,  save people searching through the nearly 40 pages to figure out how to install.

Also, out of interest is there some trick to getting couchpotato to work?  I click on the wrench thing and then none of the buttons in there seem to do anything.  Tried Safari, Chrome and my phone and they all do the same thing.

I never got couchpotato to work correctly on unRaid.  It worked one time but when I added a movie and changed some settings it never came back up.  I would reinstall but it never worked for me.  I tried it on my windows 7 machine, it worked there but was a bit buggy.

Also, out of interest is there some trick to getting couchpotato to work?  I click on the wrench thing and then none of the buttons in there seem to do anything.  Tried Safari, Chrome and my phone and they all do the same thing.

Did you try Firefox? It has always worked with Firefox and a few versions have randomly worked in IE. I really haven't spent any time to see if there was a reason why.

CouchPotato worked fine for me.  There were some builds that had issues, but it was fine up until I decided not to run it on my unRAID machine.  It now resides on my Mac Mini with no problems, using Firefox or Chrome.  Are you using the latest source from github?

There seems to be a mistake in the wiki vs the go script. The wiki says this:

mkdir /boot/custom

cd /boot/custom

wget http://www.bibliognome.com/unraid/SABnzbdDependencies-2.1-i486-unRAID.tgz

But the go script points to a a different directory for the dependencies:

installpkg /boot/packages/SABnzbdDependencies/SABnzbdDependencies-2.1-i486-unRAID.tgz

Also quick question. I made a change to my go script. How can I rerun the script without rebooting the machine. I'm in the middle of a parity check. Thanks.

If these processes aren't already running and you haven't already installed the dependencies package since your last reboot, just execute the installpkg command for the dependencies package from terminal/telnet, then run the python commands for SAB (and SickBeard and/or CouchPotato, if you're using those as well).

For example, just run these one after another:

installpkg /boot/packages/SABnzbdDependencies/SABnzbdDependencies-2.1-i486-unRAID.tgz
python /<path to sab>/SABnzbd.py -d
python /<path to sb>/SickBeard.py --daemon
python /<path to cp>/CouchPotato.py -d

There seems to be a mistake in the wiki vs the go script. The wiki says this:

mkdir /boot/custom

cd /boot/custom

wget http://www.bibliognome.com/unraid/SABnzbdDependencies-2.1-i486-unRAID.tgz

But the go script points to a a different directory for the dependencies:

Also quick question. I made a change to my go script. How can I rerun the script without rebooting the machine. I'm in the middle of a parity check. Thanks.

Good catch, I've updated it all to reference /boot/packages.  Obviously we will need to revisit this when unRAID 5.0 goes final, but for now, it will at least make sense for 4.7.

I am running through this and I seem to have hit an issue.

Everything installed great except when I got to the reboot to fire up the packages nothing happens. I disabled unMenu before I booted, but only sickbeard is functional on 8081. Sickbeard (8080) and couchpotato (5000) show nothing.

What am I doing wrong? :(

EDIT: Not sure what the issue was but using this command from the lockstockmods page got it working:

python /mnt/cache/.custom/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 192.168.2.139:8082

that being my server IP of course.

EDIT2: is telnet case sensitive? When i renamed \\Tower\cache\.custom\couchpotato to CouchPotato it seems to have worked.  ???

LAST EDIT SHEESH: I am up and running with some tweaking. I needed to boot SAB the the first time with the above code, and when I adjusted the case sensitivity in the go script things are peachy. Now onto the config step. :)

Config set up just fine, though I had issue with localhost/using my server IP in the fields for SAB, couchpotato and sickbeard. I ended up using 0.0.0.0:port and it went great. Just watched a tv episode make it from the tubes to sickbeard, to sab and then processed by sickbeard, then into the correct folder on my array.  :o

Goddamn, I used all three apps independantly on a windows machine and having all of them working together really is the bees knees.

Really thanks again for making that wiki entry, its sooo much easier than fumbling through threads and web posts. :)

Not sure if this is included in the 2.1 dependencies package, but I've had a lot of failures with the 2.0 package.

It seems like QuickPAR can successfully repair the RAR files, while SAB on unRAID seems to fail.

I found this: http://chuchusoft.com/par2_tbb/par2cmdline-0.4-tbb-20090203-lin32.tar.gz updated version of par2 and, after extracting and copying it over the par2 in /usr/bin, the files that previously failed are unpacking fine!

Here's how I have it setup in my system:

Change to a temporary folder for download and extracting the par2 update, then, from this directory:

1) download the archive: wget http://chuchusoft.com/par2_tbb/par2cmdline-0.4-tbb-20090203-lin32.tar.gz  

2) extract the archive: tar zxvf par2cmdline-0.4-tbb-20090203-lin32.tar.gz

3) I use an 80Gb drive outside my array for SAB etc, it's in /mnt/extra, so I mkdir /mnt/extra/par2fix

4) Copy the updated par2 to this permanent folder: cp par2cmdline-0.4-tbb-20090203-lin32/par2 /mnt/extra/par2fix

5) remove the par2cmdline-0.4-tbb-20090203-lin32 folder: rm -rf par2cmdline-0.4-tbb-20090203-lin32/par2

6) modify the /boot/config/go to copy the updated par2 to /usr/bin on reboot: cp /mnt/extra/par2fix/par2 /usr/bin

so the entry in my /boot/config/go is:

# copy the par2 update to /usr/bin

cp /mnt/extra/par2fix/par2 /usr/bin

I hope this helps, then again, if the 2.1 dependencies are working fine, then this may not be needed.

Cheers!

Archived