unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta14b-x86_64 Available

limetech

Hmmm mine have pretty much always been around the 1500 to 2500 range but I'm also running VMs pinned to specific cores so my results are probably apples to oranges anyhow. Sounds like the worst case senecio is you may pay a slightly higher electrical bill, which doesn't really concern me. I know there are some crazies out there ( you know who you are ;) ) who get very passionate about power savings but there is just so many other more important things in life to worry about IMHO.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should also mention that another big upgrade from the previous plugin version is the ability to edit VMs using a GUI editor like when creating.  The prior plugin didn't offer a GUI based method to editing VMs.  Instead, you would edit the XML for them directly (which we still support and with a new and improved built-in editor).  This was actually a pretty huge undertaking by Eric and it works very well.

The vm manager looks beautiful! Cannot wait to take it for a spin!

I should also mention that another big upgrade from the previous plugin version is the ability to edit VMs using a GUI editor like when creating.  The prior plugin didn't offer a GUI based method to editing VMs.  Instead, you would edit the XML for them directly (which we still support and with a new and improved built-in editor).  This was actually a pretty huge undertaking by Eric and it works very well.

Looking at that VM setup page has just got me wondering, couldn't see anything in the changelog but is there any development on how Unraid handles bridge setup.  archedraft and myself had some issues with the current config.

The VM Manager definitely looks good.  Considering the number of changes v6 is bringing ... 64 bit support; Dockers; UPS support; notifications; VM Management; new file systems; etc. ... it's not all that surprising it's taken so long to get there => I certainly hope there's no degradation of the rock-solid NAS functionality that's been so solid in v4 and v5.

I DO think it would have been a bit better to have done this more incrementally ... but that ship sailed long ago, and it's looking like the end result is going to be well worth the wait.

Looking forward to taking the VM manager for a spin  :)

Some light reading material for you while you wait:  http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6

Note:  the above is a work in progress.

Just a thought - I would have put the section on the GUI (Section 8) ahead of the section on Docker (currently section 5).  Not sure why but that seems a more logical order for me.  The rationale is that all users use the GUI, but only some use Dockers.

The entire GUI section is mostly a copy+paste from unRAID 5's wiki, so it's needing a refresh as well and as far as chronological order goes, I agree that when it's refreshed, it should sit higher in the order of things.  To us, there are three layers to unRAID:

1)  Software-defined NAS

2)  Application Server

3)  Virtualization Host

The way the wiki should be explained is also in that order.  The NAS functionality is pretty much everything EXCEPT for Docker + VMs, so all that documentation belongs ABOVE the documentation for Docker/VMs.  I guess this was a long long long way of writing:  "I agree with you." ;-)

Just had a scroll through the new documentation and I must say I really like where you are going with this.

Looking at that VM setup page has just got me wondering, couldn't see anything in the changelog but is there any development on how Unraid handles bridge setup.  archedraft and myself had some issues with the current config.

You can actually avoid using the unRAID managed bridge altogether in this next release as we've configured libvirt to auto-create a bridge called virbr0.  For those that prefer the legacy method, it still works too.  The virbr0 bridge uses NAT from the host to give the guest an IP instead of getting an IP from the router directly.

You can actually avoid using the unRAID managed bridge altogether in this next release as we've configured libvirt to auto-create a bridge called virbr0.  For those that prefer the legacy method, it still works too.  The virbr0 bridge uses NAT from the host to give the guest an IP instead of getting an IP from the router directly.

Sounds great, so when do we get let loose with this?

Tom is packaging up the final release.  There are a few other things needing attending before he will get to that, but unless something crazy happens, should be later today!!

Some light reading material for you while you wait:  http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6

Note:  the above is a work in progress.

Just a thought - I would have put the section on the GUI (Section 8) ahead of the section on Docker (currently section 5).  Not sure why but that seems a more logical order for me.  The rationale is that all users use the GUI, but only some use Dockers.

The entire GUI section is mostly a copy+paste from unRAID 5's wiki, so it's needing a refresh as well and as far as chronological order goes, I agree that when it's refreshed, it should sit higher in the order of things.  To us, there are three layers to unRAID:

1)  Software-defined NAS

2)  Application Server

3)  Virtualization Host

The way the wiki should be explained is also in that order.  The NAS functionality is pretty much everything EXCEPT for Docker + VMs, so all that documentation belongs ABOVE the documentation for Docker/VMs.  I guess this was a long long long way of writing:  "I agree with you." ;-)

Just had a scroll through the new documentation and I must say I really like where you are going with this.

Thank you!  If you have more detailed feedback, please send me a PM.  I am very open to criticisms and good at incorporating changes.  The mods have been helping quite a bit.

Tom is packaging up the final release.  There are a few other things needing attending before he will get to that, but unless something crazy happens, should be later today!!

well timed, finished migrating the last of my drives to xfs a little while ago.

..... unless something crazy happens, should be later today!!

Now you did it....  ;D

I suppose it all depends on your definition of "today"  :) :)

Webster includes both "... the present day..."  AND  "... the present time or age ..."  ==> the latter definition includes a time period a LOT longer than 24 hours  8)

Now you did it....  ;D

Webster includes both "... the present day..."  AND  "... the present time or age ..."  ==> the latter definition includes a time period a LOT longer than 24 hours  8)

My wife is an archaeologist...  let's not go there  :D :D

... Tom is packaging up the final release ...

I presume "final release" in this context means Beta 15 ... right?

Yes.

Jonp quick question regards imminent release, will we still need the separate libvirt plugin or will the new shiny VM manager now include it?

You will need to remove dmacias plugin.  No plugins will be necessary anymore for this.  Leaving the previous plugins in place will cause problems.  I will make sure we list this in the announcement post.

Now you did it....  ;D

You guys are too funny.  Tom, Eric, and I are chatting right now actually and working out a few final kinks before it's go time!  Will keep everyone posted.

Now you did it....  ;D

You guys are too funny.  Tom, Eric, and I are chatting right now actually and working out a few final kinks before it's go time!  Will keep everyone posted.

is it done yet ?

is it done yet ?

is it done yet ?

is it done yet ?

is it done yet ?

is it done yet ?

is it done yet ?

... Tom is packaging up the final release ...

I presume "final release" in this context means Beta 15 ... right?

Yes.

Jonp quick question regards imminent release, will we still need the separate libvirt plugin or will the new shiny VM manager now include it?

You will need to remove dmacias plugin.  No plugins will be necessary anymore for this.  Leaving the previous plugins in place will cause problems.  I will make sure we list this in the announcement post.

how about re-importing existing VM's ?