[unRAID 6 beta14+] Unassigned Devices [former Auto Mount USB]

That brings up a great idea! Could the preclear script and this plugin be combined some how??

Not without Joe L.'s permission. (author of preclear script).

Not completely right (it's derived from the GPL'ed md driver), but I don't have plans to do it, since it's scheduled to be built in unRAID.

OK, found the root of the problem. Please do what's described in this topic, then send me the result of this command again:

ls -la /dev/disk/by-id

Hi again, i have disk.EnableUUID option in place..

if this option is missing then i have no option to add my esxi RDM drives to unRAID.

i have two RDM's in this config: Raid0 volume as parity and Raid1 volume as cache drive..

any other things to test?

Hi, are there any news for my problem?

That brings up a great idea! Could the preclear script and this plugin be combined some how??

Not without Joe L.'s permission. (author of preclear script).

Not completely right (it's derived from the GPL'ed md driver), but I don't have plans to do it, since it's scheduled to be built in unRAID.

Honestly, BOTH this and preclear (combined) should be merged to Main since the functionality this plugin provides is fairly important. When combined with preclear, wow, what a powerful plugin!!

Think I may have found a bug.

Powered on server with 2 new unassigned drives, array set to auto-start.

Both drives showed up in the unassigned devices area initially, hit spin down for all disks, drives are no longer listed showing "No unassigned disks available".

As I was planning to with the new drives, ran preclear_disk.sh -l and both unassigned disks show up fine, both are currently pre-clearing as expected.

I tried to refresh, etc... however they still don't show up.

Any thoughts on this, I haven't tried again so not sure if it's a fluke or reproducible.

Also after a reboot the drives were back listed, however they showed 2.2TB and they are 4TB drives, the preclear script properly listed them both as 4TB.

Any thoughts on this, I haven't tried again so not sure if it's a fluke or reproducible.

Also after a reboot the drives were back listed, however they showed 2.2TB and they are 4TB drives, the preclear script properly listed them both as 4TB.

I couldn't reproduce, but will investigate this soon.

I couldn't reproduce, but will investigate this soon.

K, thanks!

Just started reading through this thread and WOW I have been missing out! I was wondering if this supports trim support for SSD drives (EXT and/or XFS) or is there a better way to accomplish this?

Did you want real time trim like mount with discard option? Or just use fstrim in a cron job like in that trim thread. I keep reading different opinions on trim but I just went with the daily cron.

Just started reading through this thread and WOW I have been missing out! I was wondering if this supports trim support for SSD drives (EXT and/or XFS) or is there a better way to accomplish this?

Did you want real time trim like mount with discard option? Or just use fstrim in a cron job like in that trim thread. I keep reading different opinions on trim but I just went with the daily cron.

Honestly, I'm fine with either option. From my internet reading on discard vs fstrim it didn't seem like there was a clear winner. Currently I am using discard with my SSD mounted with my "go" file, just because it is set up once and forget (I suppose setting up a cron job would be setup once and forget as well...) My goal is to try and make my unRAID server as "vanilla" as possible so I would prefer not to use my "go" or make a cron job. It would be great if a plugin would take care of all it for me (and hopefully this plugin get added as part of the base GUI).

Honestly, I'm fine with either option. From my internet reading on discard vs fstrim it didn't seem like there was a clear winner. Currently I am using discard with my SSD mounted with my "go" file, just because it is set up once and forget (I suppose setting up a cron job would be setup once and forget as well...) My goal is to try and make my unRAID server as "vanilla" as possible so I would prefer not to use my "go" or make a cron job. It would be great if a plugin would take care of all it for me (and hopefully this plugin get added as part of the base GUI).

Will be added on the next update.

[glow=red,2,300]UPDATE:[/glow]

- Fix: not removing missing disk configuration

- Fix: add trim/discard to SSD mount options (XFS/EXT4 only)

- Add: show preclear status

- Upgrade: NTFS-3G to 2015.3.14

Awesome! Does the discard flag only get added if the plugin detects the drive to be SSD (is that even possible?) or do you have to manually set the discard flag? If manual, how do you add that?

Another thought on making this plugin even more amazing. It would be pretty neat to have this plugin format new drives and make multiple partitions on drives that you don't plan on adding to unRAID. Even better, it would be great if lets say you format a drive to XFS but don't plan on adding it to the arrary but then at a later date you decide to add it to the array. My understanding is that if you format the drive to XFS via Ubuntu then when you try to add it to unRAID it will not be able to mount the drive and you will have to format the drive with unRAID. Would it be possible to use this plugin to format the drive to XFS and add the "unRAID approved partition note" so that you could add the drive later without having to re-format the drive again? I'm sure this would be a pretty difficult thing to add and feel free to tell me to jump off a cliff but I'm just throwing out ideas and seeing what sticks...  ;D

EDIT:

Another thought would be that adding the formatting feature might confuse people... I suppose as long as this added the "approved partition note" then it wouldn't matter if they formatted the drive this way. If it isn't possible to add the "approved partition note" then probably best not to do this... might get some disgruntled folks complaining about having to format a drive two times.

The "approved partition note" indicates the entire drive has been zeroed.  If you added a drive with the Preclear signature, but no zeroing, then all of parity would be destroyed, and you would have to rebuild parity.  Formatting or not doesn't change that.

Now if gfjardim wants to add a badblocks option (with the -w option), plus a zeroing pass and a Preclear signature write, plus a possible test pass (check the Preclear signature and all zeroes on rest of drive), and grab before and after SMART reports, then you would have a built in Preclear!

Now if gfjardim wants to add a badblocks option (with the -w option), plus a zeroing pass and a Preclear signature write, plus a possible test pass (check the Preclear signature and all zeroes on rest of drive), and grab before and after SMART reports, then you would have a built in Preclear!

I have something working using tmux instead of screen. Just don't know if I add preclear to this plugin or make another one.

Guys, the good news is that I have a working Preclear plugin. BUT since that thing could be dangerous, I'm asking some volunteers to proper test it, specially people who have test servers, so any malfunction couldn't result in data loss.

If you're interested, please send me a PM. Thanks.

By the way, these are the options I'm supporting right now:

ZMM1kuR.png

Anything missing?