unRAID Server Release 6.0.0-x86_64 Available

All of you new folks need to have a look at the "Diagnostics"  on the "Tools" page.  It provides a wealth of information about your system and will prove to be a very useful tool to collect everything of use in diagnosing your system when you have a problem.  Just think, one quick click and it's all there!

Really a great job on the new interface, bonienl!!!!    :)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Running smoothly for 12 hours now. 

Congratulations to everyone who helped make this release all that it is.

Even tried my hand running up a VM.  Now have MineOS happily running 3 modded servers and one happy little buddy in the other room :)

the webui really makes VM's a breeze doesn't it ?

Reading the last 2-3 pages triggered a thought for the Limetech folks ...

Is the v5 plugin you're going to release that upgrades a v5 system to v6 going to either (a) have some form of automated assistance for migration from plugins to Dockers;  or (b) provide a CLEAR warning about plugins that won't work in v6 and perhaps suggest the user familiarize themselves with the Dockers needed to replace them before doing the upgrade ?

Making the upgrade "automatic" sounds great ... but if the end result in a functional v6 NAS that doesn't run the applications a user is accustomed to you could have a lot of discussions similar to the one in the last few pages r.e. Plex.

Running smoothly for 12 hours now. 

Congratulations to everyone who helped make this release all that it is.

Even tried my hand running up a VM.  Now have MineOS happily running 3 modded servers and one happy little buddy in the other room :)

the webui really makes VM's a breeze doesn't it ?

Without a doubt, I couldn't imagine it getting any easier that that

[edit] Windows VM to act as a backup server created! Have passed a single USB device through, will it 'remember' each device i plugin and passthrough?  Next to work out how to pass through the whole port

Is the v5 plugin you're going to release that upgrades a v5 system to v6 going to either (a) have some form of automated assistance for migration from plugins to Dockers;  or (b) provide a CLEAR warning about plugins that won't work in v6 and perhaps suggest the user familiarize themselves with the Dockers needed to replace them before doing the upgrade ?

Making the upgrade "automatic" sounds great ... but if the end result in a functional v6 NAS that doesn't run the applications a user is accustomed to you could have a lot of discussions similar to the one in the last few pages r.e. Plex.

I think gary makes some good points. Now that we're "live" there are going to be some users who just want "new" without any idea that there are new features, and expect it all to just work. They will only bother with instructions after it doesn't (if then).

So there is a default limetech supported docker repo? I do not see the repo in my repo list. What is the url?

From within the docker tab make sure you click "update repositories" next to the search box.  I didn't see the new stuff until I did that.

I don't have a search box or "update repositories" anywhere on my Dockers or Docker Repositories page in advanced or basic view.

Added limetech repository manually. Thanks sadkisson

I think gary makes some good points. Now that we're "live" there are going to be some users who just want "new" without any idea that there are new features, and expect it all to just work. They will only bother with instructions after it doesn't (if then).

... and providing a v5 plugin whose function is to "update to v6" can certainly give someone the impression that all they have to do is run that plugin and they'll be updated => so they're likely to be surprised when some of their plugins stop working and they have to set up corresponding Dockers.    Just seems like that plugin should be smart enough to at least warn them of these potential consequences ... and ideally even list which things are going to require their attention to set up correctly.

So there is a default limetech supported docker repo? I do not see the repo in my repo list. What is the url?

From within the docker tab make sure you click "update repositories" next to the search box.  I didn't see the new stuff until I did that.

I don't have a search box or "update repositories" anywhere on my Dockers or Docker Repositories page in advanced or basic view.

Added limetech repository manually. Thanks sadkisson

+1

... and providing a v5 plugin whose function is to "update to v6" can certainly give someone the impression that all they have to do is run that plugin and they'll be updated => so they're likely to be surprised when some of their plugins stop working and they have to set up corresponding Dockers.    Just seems like that plugin should be smart enough to at least warn them of these potential consequences ... and ideally even list which things are going to require their attention to set up correctly.

I think ideally the "automatic upgrade" plugin should refuse to function and tell the user why until all the unsupported V5 plugins are removed or disabled in their V5 install. That way people can systematically prepare for the upgrade. Plugins that have their functionality integrated into V6 can be silently dealt with as part of the upgrade.

I think ideally the "automatic upgrade" plugin should refuse to function and tell the user why until all the unsupported V5 plugins are removed or disabled in their V5 install. That way people can systematically prepare for the upgrade. Plugins that have their functionality integrated into V6 can be silently dealt with as part of the upgrade.

This plugin sounds like a good idea, but in the interim I am going to repeat my suggestion from above (since nothing has happened). I think the top post here should include a disclaimer for 5.0 users that planning is required, plugins will no longer work, and users should understand how to upgrade before actually doing so. There should also be bold links to the wiki and upgrade guides.

No-one has had an experience like moving to UnRAID 6.0 unless you've actually upgraded to UnRAID 6.0. It's not like all the previous upgrades and I think LT should be adding this in flashing multi-colored bold lettering so people understand this before upgrading.

Even once the plugin is in place, ultimately it's good for basic nas customers, but it's not going to be able to account for all the plugin variations (and GUI variations) unless you have a pretty vanilla 5.0 install. There are still going to be a ton of manual upgrades.

Agree with the additional points noted by both  jonathanm  and  bkastner.

That's why I noted some concern about having an "upgrade" plugin => just seems too easy for it to result in a functional v6 NAS with a bunch of broken functionality that the user has been accustomed to.

Jonathan's suggestion to just refuse to do the upgrade if there are any plugins known to not work in v6 may seem draconian, but is likely a pretty good idea.

bkastner's suggestion for some VERY visible warnings about doing this upgrade in the notification thread is also a good idea.  While there's an excellent upgrade guide (thanks primarily to Rob with contributions by many others), not everyone is going to read that until AFTER they should have => when they've tried the upgrade and are trying to figure out why it didn't go so well.

The unRaid-5-to-6 plugin is very simple.  It is going to create a folder on the flash called 'previous' and move all the unRaid-5 release files there in addition to ./extra, ./plugins, ./config/plugins directories.  Then download latest unRaid-6 and install.  When server reboots you will get 'stock' unRaid-6 with ability to "go back" if you want.

If you have an unRaid-5 rig with a few plugins, then you will need to hunt down the equivalent unRaid-6 functionality (either plugins or docker containers, or even VM's).  If you have a gazillion plugins, well might be harder  :'(

As for plugins... I've said this before: there are two problems with plugins.  First is potential security risk.  The plugin install script runs as root, and plugins run as root.  They have full access to all files on your server.  To my knowledge there has never been a 'rogue' unRaid plugin, but the potential is there, just sayin'.

The second problem with plugins is that packages they install are necessarily slackware-dependent, because that's our base distro.  I'm not going to rehash the distro wars here, but consider this: if all you have on your server is 'stock' functionality, along with all apps in containers and/or VM's, then we can produce a release that uses a completely different distro, and all your stuff should still just work.  ;)

That's great to hear. As one of those folks with a very vanilla 5.0 install, I would find said 5-to-6 upgrade plugin to be very useful and am glad to hear that its release will not be held up trying to support the wide variety of possible variations/customizations.

I installed 6.0.0 final last night, but didn't get a chance to reboot into it until tonight.

So far everything is running as smooth as it ever did in the RC phases.

Congratulations on the release!

Glad to hear it, thanks for the feedback, and for the congrats.  Much appreciated.

Congrats on hitting 6.0. Running parity check now.

Heads up that the plugin-based upgrade from beta14a resulted in the USB key being filled with system files with 0 byte length and endless rebooting. I pulled the USB key and reloaded 6.0 from a manual download and all is now working.

Thanks again for all the effort!

First off, great work team, there's a ton of great new functionality in this release.  I'm impressed and excited to upgrade.

I have an issue I'd appreciate some feedback on:

My default firewall configuration blocks outbound communication.  I'm having trouble installing plugins.  I tried manually downloading the plg files from here:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.0

...copying the plg to flash and manually selecting it to install, but unRAID still fails to download a file.  Also it doesn't fail the plugin install gracefully, it appears the install was successful, and I get a "dynamix.cache.dirs" item in my list of plugins, but clicking on it goes to a blank screen.

I also downloaded a copy of the file that unRAID was failing to download (dynamix.cache.dirs-2015.04.28.txz) but I'm not sure what to do with it.  From the plg file, I'm guessing I should rezip/rename it and put it here:

/boot/config/plugins/dynamix.cache.dirs/cache_dirs.zip

But without a good understanding of how unRAID works, I don't want to experiment with my shiny new install.  Is there a proper way to install plugins without internet access?  On a side note, does unRAID 6 require internet access for anything other than checking for updates?  I have local NTP, SMTP.

Thanks!

... The unRaid-5-to-6 plugin is very simple.  It is going to create a folder on the flash called 'previous' and move all the unRaid-5 release files there in addition to ./extra, ./plugins, ./config/plugins directories.  Then download latest unRaid-6 and install.  When server reboots you will get 'stock' unRaid-6 with ability to "go back" if you want.

Is there a WARNING in the plugin that you're going to lose all of your plugin functionality and only have a basic NAS after it completes the upgrade?    This is what I was referring to earlier r.e. user's simply seeing an "upgrade plugin" and installing it; running it; and then wondering why their "stuff" doesn't work.    It sounds like this is basically doing what jonathanm suggested, except that instead of requiring the USER to remove his plugins before the upgrade, it's simply removing them all for him => hopefully WITH his knowledge (thus the warning).

i'm not getting an update, i'm running rc5, have restarted. checked again for updates, and it's status is up-to-date

still not getting offered the update through the normal update procedure, should i do it the old fashioned way, downloading and copying those 2 files to the usb?

i'm not getting an update, i'm running rc5, have restarted. checked again for updates, and it's status is up-to-date

still not getting offered the update through the normal update procedure, should i do it the old fashioned way, downloading and copying those 2 files to the usb?

Try a reboot of your server, then check for updates.  Does that work?