unRAID Server Release 6.0.0-x86_64 Available

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats to LT on such a feature-rich release. 

Push button upgrades, KVM, Docker integration... WOW!

Not sure if this occurred going from rc6 to 6.0 since I leave my VM running (zoneminder on CentOS) but I noticed that I can't seem to stop the vm from the VM Manager GUI. Works fine from the command line with virsh.

I can VNC, view XML, pause, and Force Stop but start/restart don't seem to have any effect. Not sure if I missed a release note or upgrade step somewhere. Anyone else bump into this?

Just a thought here and it may not be possible, but would it be a good idea to reconfigure the forums slightly?  A lot of people upgrading from V5 seem to have problems finding plugins for V6 and it is in a slightly unusual location and not completely intuitive.

Perhaps moving it under the V6 section and calling it maybe plugins?

Forum reorg is also on the never ending to do list. It will probably happen this weekend so long as I can get my video projects done this week.

I know you guys are increda busy with an amazing 6.0.0 release, but is documentation for AD Permissions on that list too....?

Awesome job as always!

had the plugin to upgrade from 5 to 6 been released yet?

I suspect that work on it has only just started (if it has started at all). 

Limetech have been concentrating on getting the 6.0 release out the door; quashing the last minute bugs that were discovered; and supporting the initial people doing who are doing the move now the release has gone final.

Not sure if this occurred going from rc6 to 6.0 since I leave my VM running (zoneminder on CentOS) but I noticed that I can't seem to stop the vm from the VM Manager GUI. Works fine from the command line with virsh.

I can VNC, view XML, pause, and Force Stop but start/restart don't seem to have any effect. Not sure if I missed a release note or upgrade step somewhere. Anyone else bump into this?

I run a Win 8, Ubuntu, pfSense, & Mac OS X VM and the only VM that gives me the same issue is the Mac VM. I just always figured it was a limitation with the Mac VM but I find it hard to believe that Cent OS would have the same limitation. Hopefully someone with a more intimate knowledge of how the unRAID VM GUI works could explain what is going on with Cent OS and then if I am really lucky I can apply the same to my Mac VM  ;D

Limetech have been concentrating on getting the 6.0 release out the door; quashing the last minute bugs that were discovered; and supporting the initial people doing who are doing the move now the release has gone final.

I would also comment that I wouldn't put too much stock in the proposed plugin. It's pretty easy to get yourself to a stock 6.0 installation, which is all the plugin is doing. You still have to be responsible for the majority of the work - which is setting up docker and/or plugins to replace the functionality you had in version 5.

People waiting for the plugin are likely better served by reading through the wiki and posted upgrade guides, asking questions on their specific scenario and then backing up their 5.0.6 (or whatever) USB drive, and trying to get to 6.0 themselves.

For many people this plugin is only going to take care of 10-25% of their upgrade process, and it's going to be the easiest part of the overall upgrade. It will be useful to help users ensure that their data is safe and their config is maintained, but with a little bit of reading and Q&A you can easily achieve this yourself.

I would also comment that I wouldn't put too much stock in the proposed plugin. It's pretty easy to get yourself to a stock 6.0 installation, which is all the plugin is doing. You still have to be responsible for the majority of the work - which is setting up docker and/or plugins to replace the functionality you had in version 5.

People waiting for the plugin are likely better served by reading through the wiki and posted upgrade guides, asking questions on their specific scenario and then backing up their 5.0.6 (or whatever) USB drive, and trying to get to 6.0 themselves.

For many people this plugin is only going to take care of 10-25% of their upgrade process, and it's going to be the easiest part of the overall upgrade. It will be useful to help users ensure that their data is safe and their config is maintained, but with a little bit of reading and Q&A you can easily achieve this yourself.

+1

Look here for links to upgrade instructions:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40690.msg384631#msg384631

+1 to this.  I upgraded during the latter stages of beta releases using the Wiki.  Granted, I have a very vanilla system, but if you resign yourself to the fact that the changes from 5->6 are so great that all you are going to retain is basic NAS functionalty (shares, users, basic settings) and read up, it's not a difficult jump.

Plus if you've backed up your v5 flash, you can always go back temporarily if it doesn't work first time.  Just don't do the upgrade with any other work going on (drive swaps/additions, etc.).

+1 to this.  I upgraded during the latter stages of beta releases using the Wiki.  Granted, I have a very vanilla system, but if you resign yourself to the fact that the changes from 5->6 are so great that all you are going to retain is basic NAS functionalty (shares, users, basic settings) and read up, it's not a difficult jump.

Plus if you've backed up your v5 flash, you can always go back temporarily if it doesn't work first time.  Just don't do the upgrade with any other work going on (drive swaps/additions, etc.).

Yes, if you have a backup of your v5 config it's a matters of 2-3 minutes to get yourself back where you were.

I just want to make sure people know this plugin is not a silver bullet. It's like someone offering to reinstall Windows on your machine - that's great if you just need a vanilla OS, but you still need to go through and reinstall and configure all the applications you use on top of Windows. Same idea here. It's not that hard to do the upgrade, but you definitely want to make sure you are clear on the process and can ask any questions you may have prior to starting, rather than getting frustrated part way through when things are not working as you expected them to.

I think the real problem is that the terminology that we have been using is all wrong.  We are not really updating or up grading our servers in the manner that we are accustom to with Windows, Linux or the Apple OS's. 

We are installing an brand new unRAID OS whose NAS functions are identical to the older 4.7 and 5.X versions of unRAID and , at the same time, won't run any software packages that ran with the earlier versions.  Repeating that same thought in slightly different words--- the main point is that unRAID version 6 will basically run nothing that worked with these early versions.

If you installed any plugins or add-ons to provide additional features, you are going to have to find replacements for all of those.  PLus, the perferred way is not to use plugins to provide these functions but to use Docker Containers and VMs! 

All of this is a big step and many folks are hoping that there is a magic wand that can be waved in the air and have everything working as it did with the earlier versions.  That is simply not going to happen...

All of this is a big step and many folks are hoping that there is a magic wand that can be waved in the air and have everything working as it did with the earlier versions.  That is simply not going to happen...

Very true, and the way to avoid this in a future upgrade to unRaid-7 is to utilize containers/VM's as much as possible to add additional functionality. I cannot stress this enough.

Very true, and the way to avoid this in a future upgrade to unRaid-7 is to utilize containers/VM's as much as possible to add additional functionality. I cannot stress this enough.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS!!!!

unRaid 7 is coming out soon. START YOUR CLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS!!!!

unRaid 7 is coming out soon. START YOUR CLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lol

Yes, if you have a backup of your v5 config it's a matters of 2-3 minutes to get yourself back where you were.

True if you're simply using UnRAID as a NAS => decidedly NOT true if you have plugins that you have to re-install as Dockers; configure; etc.

We are installing an brand new unRAID OS ... (that) ... won't run any software packages that ran with the earlier versions.  Repeating that same thought in slightly different words--- the main point is that unRAID version 6 will basically run nothing that worked with these early versions.

Essentially true; but I'd it's not true that all the functionality will be lost => it will just require re-installing equivalent applications in v6 ... primarily in Docker form ... and reconfiguring them.

... many folks are hoping that there is a magic wand that can be waved in the air and have everything working as it did with the earlier versions.  That is simply not going to happen...

This is exactly the reason I posted earlier r.e. my concerns about the v5 "Update Plugin"  ==> no matter how much of a [glow=red,2,300]BIG FAT WARNING[/glow] [glow=red,2,300][/glow]  is provided, folks are still likely to think those are just typical software caveats [like licensing agreements -- when's the last time you actually read one ??] ... and assume that since there's a plugin to do it, it must make the upgrade trivial.

I dunno Gary, I think that's overstated.  Most people presently using unraid are already tech-savvy, especially if they got to point of installing v5 plugins.  There will be exceptions to prove the rule, but I'm thinking most people, while possibly irritated, won't find it too difficult to convert.  For those who don't read anything, boot up, and say, "wtf happened to all my plugins?", the plugin will allow them to 'undo' the upgrade and go back to v5.

I dunno Gary, I think that's overstated.  Most people presently using unraid are already tech-savvy, especially if they got to point of installing v5 plugins.  There will be exceptions to prove the rule, but I'm thinking most people, while possibly irritated, won't find it too difficult to convert.  For those who don't read anything, boot up, and say, "wtf happened to all my plugins?", the plugin will allow them to 'undo' the upgrade and go back to v5.

Hopefully you'll be proven correct.    But just as you said with regard to moving to Dockers and VM's ...

...the way to avoid this in a future upgrade to unRaid-7 is to utilize containers/VM's as much as possible to add additional functionality. I cannot stress this enough.

... I think it's also true that you can't stress the potential consequences of the plugin enough.  The "tech-savvy" folks don't need a plugin to upgrade  :)

So when do you think you will have the plugin released, I assume before unRAID 7 that you just announced right :)

For folks who haven't kept up with the betas and rc's lately, we could just up the version number to 7 and they would just as be happy while looking forward to version 8 :)

So when do you think you will have the plugin released, I assume before unRAID 7 that you just announced right :)

For folks who haven't kept up with the betas and rc's lately, we could just up the version number to 7 and they would just as be happy while looking forward to version 8 :)

firefox type release schedule, version 39 by august.

I think the real problem is that the terminology that we have been using is all wrong.  We are not really updating or up grading our servers in the manner that we are accustom to with Windows, Linux or the Apple OS's. 

We are installing an brand new unRAID OS whose NAS functions are identical to the older 4.7 and 5.X versions of unRAID and , at the same time, won't run any software packages that ran with the earlier versions.  Repeating that same thought in slightly different words--- the main point is that unRAID version 6 will basically run nothing that worked with these early versions.

If you installed any plugins or add-ons to provide additional features, you are going to have to find replacements for all of those.  PLus, the perferred way is not to use plugins to provide these functions but to use Docker Containers and VMs! 

the big players in the OS' arena have all released versions that are incompatible with earlier versions at some stage in their histories.

Personally, I think if you're using plugins in UnRAID 6, you're doing it wrong.

plugins for me add functionality like the community applications plugin by squid, some of the dynamix addons and the nerdpack.

no disrespect to the plugins authors but sab and cp etc.. as plugins in V6 is behind the curve a little.