unRAID Server Release 6.0.0-x86_64 Available

It would seem that the new dhcp / timeout option that was added to unRAID late in the game is affecting my pfSense VM. I wrote my own powerdown start - S00.sh script to start my VM's in an order from 1 - 4 (pfSense starts first). It would seem that with the new dhcp logic it tries to connect to the network for 60 seconds and fails (because my pfSense VM has not started) and then starts unRAID and gives br0 a random IP address and then finally starts the VM's but it's too late by that time. I am assuming that even if I set the pfSense VM to autostart I am going to have the same issue? Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get my pfSense VM to start before br0 tries to get an IP address? I have pfSense assign unRAID a static IP address.

How big is the virtual disk for pfsense?

10GB

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dunno Gary, I think that's overstated.  Most people presently using unraid are already tech-savvy, especially if they got to point of installing v5 plugins.  There will be exceptions to prove the rule, but I'm thinking most people, while possibly irritated, won't find it too difficult to convert.  For those who don't read anything, boot up, and say, "wtf happened to all my plugins?", the plugin will allow them to 'undo' the upgrade and go back to v5.

Mostly true. Speaking for myself, I can build a PC or server to my liking. I still use some plugins like SAB on my server (thanks Phaze) and I like to transfer them to a docker, but that is where it ends. I need some assistance in building such a docker, like I got from Sparklyballs when building the one and only docker I use now. I don't know if it is advisable that each and everyone builds his own sab docker. It would be nice if there was a library of dockers that we could pick the one from that whe want. Just like we can pick the plugins we want.

Not so smooth an update here.  Previously running RC6, with a Pro key.

Before update made copy of /boot/config folder and labeled it differently.

Updated both UnRAID to v6.0.0 and Unassigned Devices to version released today through the plugin update button.

Reboot with powerdown script via SSH, (powerdown -r)

Log in via SSH.  Hmmm, authorized keys are not working, asks for my password.  That's odd.

Tower/Main reports this:

Thank you for trying unRAID Server OS!

Your server will not be usable until you download a registration key....

Instead of selecting free trial, which might have worked for now, I went back to the command line and rebooted again with powerdown -r.  Now I can't login with SSH:

ssh: connect to host xxx.xx.xx port 22: Network is unreachable

It's not an emergency (since GoT is over), but I'm doing this remotely and won't be at the server physically for a few days. Reporting mainly in case what I did is an error others might do too.

Is this related to the duplicated /config folder?  The Unassigned Devices plugin?

Thanks

D

Hmm, definitely not the norm as you can see from most folks in this thread who've upgraded.  Will need to see diagnostics report from Tools -> Diagnostics to give you any guidance.

Thanks Jon;  still can't mount the GUI with my pro key after the upgrade.  I've tried rebooting in safe mode, and renaming both the 'original' /config and the /config_copy made via SSH (using transmission.app) directly on the flash. 

The diagnostics report is attached, as is the listing of the /boot/config directory on the flash.  The Prokey file is there with the original modification date.

I note that when I mount the GUI the terminal reports that

/boot/config/*.conf  (and *.dat and *.cfg)  are not found 

The GUI has a place to 'install a key file' if you have a key file URL.  I bought a preconfigured (5.05) flash and know not of a URL.

Thanks

D

Feel free to transfer this to the support page.

I noticed the following lines in the syslog:

Jun 19 08:50:35 Tower kernel: read_file: error 2 opening /boot/config/super.dat
Jun 19 08:50:35 Tower kernel: md: could not read superblock from /boot/config/super.dat
Jun 19 08:50:35 Tower kernel: md: initializing superblock
Jun 19 08:50:35 Tower emhttp: Unregistered (-3)

This suggest to me that there might be some corruption on the flash drive and unRAID is having trouble reading it.    Have you tried putting the flash drive into a Windows PC to see if offers to repait it (and let it do so if it offers).

It would seem that the new dhcp / timeout option that was added to unRAID late in the game is affecting my pfSense VM. I wrote my own powerdown start - S00.sh script to start my VM's in an order from 1 - 4 (pfSense starts first). It would seem that with the new dhcp logic it tries to connect to the network for 60 seconds and fails (because my pfSense VM has not started) and then starts unRAID and gives br0 a random IP address and then finally starts the VM's but it's too late by that time. I am assuming that even if I set the pfSense VM to autostart I am going to have the same issue? Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get my pfSense VM to start before br0 tries to get an IP address? I have pfSense assign unRAID a static IP address.

That's a unique setup.  If it were me I'd setup unRAID with a static IP (could be different than the one you're going to dish out from pfSense) under network settings and then at the end of your S00.sh script, after pfSense is triggered to start, you could start the dhcpd service for br0:

/sbin/dhcpcd -b -h $(cat /etc/hostname) -L br0

Haven't tested this but Should Worktm

That's a unique setup.  If it were me I'd setup unRAID with a static IP (could be different than the one you're going to dish out from pfSense) under network settings and then at the end of your S00.sh script, after pfSense is triggered to start, you could start the dhcpd service for br0:

So turn off "Setup bridge:" under Network Settings and then use

to start the bridge after my S00.sh starts pfSense?

Using 5.06 on LimeTechs original "MD-1500/LL" and "MD-1510" hardware (2 machines) running 3 plugins each (SSH, mySQL, BTsync)

Will these 64bit-capable systems, with limited CPU power and RAM, support these plugins running in a docker container or should I stay with 5.06 running the old plugins?

Thanks.

ssh is now part of the core system. So long as there are docker plugins for the other two (and I believe there are) then you should be fine. Docker isn't virtualisation so doesn't particularly come with any cpu overhead (not entirely true as you need some cpu for the docker framework and daemon, but on a per process basis this is the case).

What are the specs of the systems? I'm running 5-6 dockers and have 2 VM's setup on my system that runs on a Celeron!

Intel Celeron 2.8 Ghz, 8GB RAM is the older one (2007). The newer one (2008) has 4GB and a Core 2 Duo E7300.

They are slow and old but they do what they should do. The plugins always worked without any problems.

Thanks.

So turn off "Setup bridge:" under Network Settings and then use

to start the bridge after my S00.sh starts pfSense?

Leave the bridge enabled, just switch from dhcp to a static ip

Will do, thanks for the help! I'll report back when I get a chance to change this. It's times like these when having a pfSense VM is a pain, If I want to make any changes to unRAID I need to stop the array, which will shutdown my VM's, which means that my pfSense VPN will stop and then I cannot access unRAID from work anymore...

Been toying with the idea of making my own mini pfSense box... This seems pretty sweet (assuming the wired & wireless NIC's are compatible with pfSense) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173097 I do know that the wireless wouldn't work being AC and freeBSD still not having AC wifi drivers but I could switch it out the wireless with N card...

Just to see what would happen I entered this command into ssh and it returned this:

dhcpcd already running on pid 1535 (/run/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-br0.pid)

Is that expected behavior (I haven't changed unRAID to a static IP yet).

Just to see what would happen I entered this command into ssh and it returned this:

dhcpcd already running on pid 1535 (/run/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-br0.pid)

Is that expected behavior (I haven't changed unRAID to a static IP yet).

That's correct.  It'll only work after you move to a static IP.

Will do, thanks for the help! I'll report back when I get a chance to change this. It's times like these when having a pfSense VM is a pain, If I want to make any changes to unRAID I need to stop the array, which will shutdown my VM's, which means that my pfSense VPN will stop and then I cannot access unRAID from work anymore...

Been toying with the idea of making my own mini pfSense box... This seems pretty sweet (assuming the wired & wireless NIC's are compatible with pfSense) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173097 I do know that the wireless wouldn't work being AC and freeBSD still not having AC wifi drivers but I could switch it out the wireless with N card...

You will be able to get this from pfSense at the end of July for $299.  Wireless is $75 additional.

https://store.pfsense.org/SG2220

My preference would be for unRAID to have the ability to run a VM, whose disk resources are entirely contained in cache, without the array being started.  This is why I will stay with ESXi and run unRAID as a guest for the time being.

You will be able to get this from pfSense at the end of July for $299.  Wireless is $75 additional.

https://store.pfsense.org/SG2220

My preference would be for unRAID to have the ability to run a VM, whose disk resources are entirely contained in cache, without the array being started.  This is why I will stay with ESXi and run unRAID as a guest for the time being.

True and it would be guaranteed to work. I just liked that the ZBOX had an i3 CPU and would also save me some money as well. It could also be turned into a pretty decent HTPC if the need ever presented itself.

Not so smooth an update here.  Previously running RC6, with a Pro key.

Before update made copy of /boot/config folder and labeled it differently.

Updated both UnRAID to v6.0.0 and Unassigned Devices to version released today through the plugin update button.

Reboot with powerdown script via SSH, (powerdown -r)

Log in via SSH.  Hmmm, authorized keys are not working, asks for my password.  That's odd.

Tower/Main reports this:

Thank you for trying unRAID Server OS!

Your server will not be usable until you download a registration key....

Instead of selecting free trial, which might have worked for now, I went back to the command line and rebooted again with powerdown -r.  Now I can't login with SSH:

ssh: connect to host xxx.xx.xx port 22: Network is unreachable

It's not an emergency (since GoT is over), but I'm doing this remotely and won't be at the server physically for a few days. Reporting mainly in case what I did is an error others might do too.

Is this related to the duplicated /config folder?  The Unassigned Devices plugin?

Thanks

D

Hmm, definitely not the norm as you can see from most folks in this thread who've upgraded.  Will need to see diagnostics report from Tools -> Diagnostics to give you any guidance.

Thanks Jon;  still can't mount the GUI with my pro key after the upgrade.  I've tried rebooting in safe mode, and renaming both the 'original' /config and the /config_copy made via SSH (using transmission.app) directly on the flash. 

The diagnostics report is attached, as is the listing of the /boot/config directory on the flash.  The Prokey file is there with the original modification date.

I note that when I mount the GUI the terminal reports that

/boot/config/*.conf  (and *.dat and *.cfg)  are not found 

The GUI has a place to 'install a key file' if you have a key file URL.  I bought a preconfigured (5.05) flash and know not of a URL.

Thanks

D

Feel free to transfer this to the support page.

I noticed the following lines in the syslog:

Jun 19 08:50:35 Tower kernel: read_file: error 2 opening /boot/config/super.dat
Jun 19 08:50:35 Tower kernel: md: could not read superblock from /boot/config/super.dat
Jun 19 08:50:35 Tower kernel: md: initializing superblock
Jun 19 08:50:35 Tower emhttp: Unregistered (-3)

This suggest to me that there might be some corruption on the flash drive and unRAID is having trouble reading it.    Have you tried putting the flash drive into a Windows PC to see if offers to repait it (and let it do so if it offers).

Thanks for the suggestion.  Mac disk utility says no errors.  Moving this to a support thread, thanks.

[edit- reformat flash drive and copy 6.0.0 files over works fine]

You can't trademark "Should Work" because I already have it trademarked!

Sorry guys, I trademarked that 50 years ago  :) :)

I have two in at the patent office now...

Might Work (patent pending)

Worked for Me (patent pending)

I think Worked for Me has been around for a long time under the name YMMV.

Just tested and yes it does seem to fix the problem. Thank you for you're help.

Since updating from the last RC to 6.0 Pro i have lost the ability to add docker repos. I also had to remove all my dockers and re-add them to make them work. Am i missing something i should have done? I have put 6 or 7 repo's in the correct field but only three show, and none of my original RC templates showed after upgrade.

Since updating from the last RC to 6.0 Pro i have lost the ability to add docker repos. I also had to remove all my dockers and re-add them to make them work. Am i missing something i should have done? I have put 6 or 7 repo's in the correct field but only three show, and none of my original RC templates showed after upgrade.

I noticed in earlier builds that if there is a trailing <break> or <enter> or <return> or whatever you want to use then they wouldn't add.

EDIT: Erm hang on, maybe it was the other way around. Anyway - try both and post back. One or the other (with or without) prevented me from adding a repo back in .14b.

btw: I was using Latest Safari of OS X Yosemite.