unRAID Server Release 6.0.0-x86_64 Available

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My problem for the "manual" upgrade is, i have some plugins like istat, plex-server and Dynamix web-gui.

As i understand it correctly, i have to remove "all" plugins because the new v6.0.0 is 64bit now.

What happens with my plugins? are they useless now? And how will the be installed again?

And the bigest question is: What will happen with the Plex-Database? Can the new 64bit plugin overtake the old database?

My problem for the "manual" upgrade is, i have some plugins like istat, plex-server and Dynamix web-gui.

As i understand it correctly, i have to remove "all" plugins because the new v6.0.0 is 64bit now.

What happens with my plugins? are they useless now?

Yes - all v5 plugins are incompatible with v6.  I assume any automatic updater would remove/disable any plugins it found in v5

And how will the be installed again?

It will be up to you to install any plugins you want on v6.

You should perhaps consider whether the Docker approach is better on v6 as installing applications via Docker is less likely to destabilise the system and compromise core NAS functionality.

The wiki article is currently the most comprehensive guide to all the issues involved in upgrading to v6 from v5.  I would suggest that you read it.

And the bigest question is: What will happen with the Plex-Database? Can the new 64bit plugin overtake the old database?

Not tried it, but I see no reason why it should not carry forward to v6.  It will just be a case of configuring Plex in a v6 environment to point to the database.

Not tried it, but I see no reason why it should not carry forward to v6.  It will just be a case of configuring Plex in a v6 environment to point to the database.

This should be right. I was able to go from plugin to docker and back with the same database, so changing plugins should be no problem. Before you upgrade write down all the information you can about the settings you are using for Plex (and other plugins you were / are using) so that you can configure the same way after the upgrade.  Also note, some plugin authors like PhAzE added additional logic to their plugin to make it both v5 and v6 compliant. I'd check with the plugin author to make sure you are using the right version and if it's comptable. I would still uninstall but at least then you know which version to use after the upgrade.

How do you upgrade from 5.0.6?

Right, first thing tomorrow is to finish an unRaid-5-style plugin that will upgrade your server to 6.0.  In the meantime here's an excellent guide written by RobJ:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Awesome, i will wait for the plugin upgrade.  and I should uninstall the APC plugin I have no right?

You should remove (almost) all plugins, since they will invoke 32-bit binaries - which will create problems on the new 64-bit environment.

What happens with my plugins? are they useless now? And how will the be installed again?

Another suggestion, start with a fresh copy of v. 6....that means to make a good backup of your v.5 USB and then format the USB stick and install the v6 files. This would be a clean install. The upgrade guide has good instructions.

Not so smooth an update here.  Previously running RC6, with a Pro key.

Before update made copy of /boot/config folder and labeled it differently.

Updated both UnRAID to v6.0.0 and Unassigned Devices to version released today through the plugin update button.

Reboot with powerdown script via SSH, (powerdown -r)

Log in via SSH.  Hmmm, authorized keys are not working, asks for my password.  That's odd.

Tower/Main reports this:

Thank you for trying unRAID Server OS!

Your server will not be usable until you download a registration key....

Instead of selecting free trial, which might have worked for now, I went back to the command line and rebooted again with powerdown -r.  Now I can't login with SSH:

ssh: connect to host xxx.xx.xx port 22: Network is unreachable

It's not an emergency (since GoT is over), but I'm doing this remotely and won't be at the server physically for a few days. Reporting mainly in case what I did is an error others might do too.

Is this related to the duplicated /config folder?  The Unassigned Devices plugin?

Thanks

D

Nice work, has the font changed in the Logo? If so it's nice, if not it's still nice, I just missed it before!

Well done guys, it's probably been a hard slog the last few months, now take a day off and relax, just the one mind!  ;)

Yup!  We changed the font to Century Gothic, a much cleaner and simpler font choice.  Thought it made things look a little more modern than the old style.  Glad you like it!

Not so smooth an update here.  Previously running RC6, with a Pro key.

Before update made copy of /boot/config folder and labeled it differently.

Updated both UnRAID to v6.0.0 and Unassigned Devices to version released today through the plugin update button.

Reboot with powerdown script via SSH, (powerdown -r)

Log in via SSH.  Hmmm, authorized keys are not working, asks for my password.  That's odd.

Tower/Main reports this:

Thank you for trying unRAID Server OS!

Your server will not be usable until you download a registration key....

Instead of selecting free trial, which might have worked for now, I went back to the command line and rebooted again with powerdown -r.  Now I can't login with SSH:

ssh: connect to host xxx.xx.xx port 22: Network is unreachable

It's not an emergency (since GoT is over), but I'm doing this remotely and won't be at the server physically for a few days. Reporting mainly in case what I did is an error others might do too.

Is this related to the duplicated /config folder?  The Unassigned Devices plugin?

Thanks

D

Hmm, definitely not the norm as you can see from most folks in this thread who've upgraded.  Will need to see diagnostics report from Tools -> Diagnostics to give you any guidance.

Nice work, has the font changed in the Logo? If so it's nice, if not it's still nice, I just missed it before!

Well done guys, it's probably been a hard slog the last few months, now take a day off and relax, just the one mind!  ;)

Yup!  We changed the font to Century Gothic, a much cleaner and simpler font choice.  Thought it made things look a little more modern than the old style.  Glad you like it!

I also noticed the new logo and it has a very nice clean and modern look.

GaryCase - you just mentioned in the recently-closed RC thread about the plugin notifications not being correct after a period of time...

In Notification settings, there's the option of scheduling a check for the plugin updates - wouldn't this mean that the notifications could be fairly correct?  I'll admit, I went into Scheduler to find this setting initially, but it's in Notifications.  Is that what you meant?

GaryCase - you just mentioned in the recently-closed RC thread about the plugin notifications not being correct after a period of time...

In Notification settings, there's the option of scheduling a check for the plugin updates - wouldn't this mean that the notifications could be fairly correct?  I'll admit, I went into Scheduler to find this setting initially, but it's in Notifications.  Is that what you meant?

Yes, that should do the trick.    Hadn't noticed that setting ... yet another nice v6 improvement.    However, as I noted in that thread, I think recent checks should be "persistent" ... i.e. if you've just done an update, when you reboot it shouldn't show "unknown" as the status (which is what it does now).

I just did exactly that to see if setting the automatic plugin update check would change the behavior, and it does not.  i.e. I check for updates (so the status then showed "up-to-date";  changed the settings to auto-check 4 times a day; and then rebooted ... and it's back to "unknown".    Not a big deal ... I suspect that if I just let it run it will automatically change back to "up-to-date" in a few hours when it does an automatic check.    Perhaps if automatic checking is enabled, it'd be nice if it automatically did one on reboots (or simply maintained the last known status across boots).

Notwithstanding the VERY minor "nit" I noted r.e. the current plugin status display, the v6 upgrade went VERY smooth ... and all is working great.

I've said this a couple times in the recent RC threads, but I REALLY like the automated in-GUI update feature !!  A VERY nice improvement.

For those upgrading from version 5, here is a quick guide for doing the upgrade:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39032.0

It contains basic instructions to get ver6 up and running.  You will avoid many problems and issues if you assume that NO version 5 plugins will run without issue on version 6.  (The decision to drop 32 bit support was done very early in the development of version 6.)

From this thread, RobJ developed his WIKI, which contains much more detailed information for those with more complex systems and additional information regarding Dockers and VM's.  His WIKI can be found here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6 

You should be prepared to spend some time reading and investigating before you start this upgrade.  This is particularly true if you have a complex system with a lot of plugins to add features to unRAID.  Many people have chosen to dump plugins as much as possible and go with Docker to provide those additional services that were previously provided by plugins!