Someone explain why nzbget is good

nightanole

Ive been trying to get on the bandwagon for over a month.  But wow is this a pain to setup.  Im a sab user.  Getting it to accept a zip file of nzbs, auto renaming, getting sonarr to see whats downloaded, this should not take hours for forum surfing and requiring 3-4 py scripts.

I think im sticking with sab since i have at least an i3 for the server and not a router or atom nas box.

I thought I had read that SAB doesn't really use your network bandwidth properly - even with very fast connections SAB seems constrained. I know I can grab files much faster with a NZB client than SAB can. I think NZBGet does a better job of utilizing bandwidth (though I could be wrong).

I would make the switch to NZBGet, however there do not seem to be good end to end config guides like there are with SAB, and I don't find the config of NZBGet intuitive.

Well, so far so good with SAB.  But I do have a question...

How do you tell SAB to cleanup after a successful download, parcheck/repair, unrar, Sonarr import?  I am being left with folders with files as such:

3xOvR2Z.jpg

John

Config>General>Tuning>Cleanup List

.nfo, .sfv, .nzb, .srr, .info, .idx, .txt, .com, .db, .md5, .par2, .png, .1, .jpg, .jpeg, .url, .lnk, .html, .ini, .bat, .com, .exe, .scr, .sample

How do you tell SAB to cleanup after a successful download, parcheck/repair, unrar, Sonarr import?  I am being left with folders with files as such:

3xOvR2Z.jpg

John

.nfo, .sfv, .nzb, .srr, .info, .idx, .txt, .com, .db, .md5, .par2, .png, .1, .jpg, .jpeg, .url, .lnk, .html, .ini, .bat, .com, .exe, .scr, .sample

Will that also delete the folder that these files are in?

John

John

I have Sickbeard doing all my post-processing instead of SAB, but can tell you that even with out the above most of the time folders get cleaned out. I've had the occasional time when a MKV file gets stuck (i.e. can't be moved) that has caused a Season folder to stick around, but otherwise these get cleaned up pretty good (sometimes it can take a bit though).

3xOvR2Z.jpg

John

John

If you give sonarr "completed download handling" it should handle all that for you.  Then sonarr with just grab the mkv or whatever video file and delete the rest.

I think I just saw the speed issue with SAB.  I have my speed throttled @ 1600Kbits and queued a few downloads.  I watched the speed fluctuate between 1.1Mbit and 1.6Mbit.  However, it may have been the time of day that caused it (~5pm) as traffic around the way would have spiked I imagine.  When I was DL'ing with SAB @ ~12pm, I did not see the speed fluctuations.

I'll continue to monitor.

John

For me the big advantage from NZBGet over SAB is that NZBGet monitors the health of the download. On the fly. If the download is broken beyond repair, it either pauses the download or deletes it.

SAB can not do that yet, AFAIK. It will download the complete file and tell you at the checking, repairing phase that the file is damaged beyond repair.

Why should I download the whole file when it is already broken. Waste of time... Especially today when there are a lot of incomplete/broken files around due to DMCA.

For me the big advantage from NZBGet over SAB is that NZBGet monitors the health of the download. On the fly. If the download is broken beyond repair, it either pauses the download or deletes it.

SAB can not do that yet, AFAIK. It will download the complete file and tell you at the checking, repairing phase that the file is damaged beyond repair.

Why should I download the whole file when it is already broken. Waste of time... Especially today when there are a lot of incomplete/broken files around due to DMCA.

Not sure what a health check is, but if sab sees too many pieces missing from a takedown, it stops and moves on to the next nzb.

Pre-download check

If you are hit by frequent incomplete and non-repairable downloads and worry about wasted time, bandwidth or quota, there's the pre-check.

Before downloading, SABnzbd will check if enough articles are available on the server.

Currently the job will pause when the downloadable parts of the rar and par2 files together are less than 100.2% of the actual rar files.

Below that you will need to decide whether you want to take the risk of downloading something unrepairable.

nzbget uses less CPU and RAM.

It can parcheck a 50GB NZB in 10 seconds. 

Even if you have lots of CPU and RAM, once you start using VMs, you might appreciate nzbget freeing up resources for other use.

As broadband speeds go up, some apps can't keep up.  When you get to 152mbps, 300mbps or even 1Gbps you need all the efficiency you can get. 

Ok, I'm not informed about automatic downloaders. Can someone explain what dockers to install if I want to select a movie that I want to watch (quality,..) and when it comes to some torrent/usenet page it grabs it. Now I search for it and download trough transmission.

Tnx.

Ok, I'm not informed about automatic downloaders. Can someone explain what dockers to install if I want to select a movie that I want to watch (quality,..) and when it comes to some torrent/usenet page it grabs it. Now I search for it and download trough transmission.

Tnx.

CouchPotato

Tnx.

CouchPotato

+1.  CP will search NZB and torrent indexers for matching results.  Once you select the specific release you want, the request is sent to the download client (i.e. NZBGet, SAB, Deluge, Transmission, or whatever clients you use).

Squid snoopy...if you need some help getting set up, PM me.

John

I dont need help...  was answering snoopy's question

Ooops...my bad.  Redirected @ snoopy.  :)

Tnx. I've managed to set it up and it works great. If I understand correctly you have to have paid account on usenet if you want to use it? Otherwise CP only searches on torrent pages.

I dont need help...  was answering snoopy's question

Ooops...my bad.  Redirected @ snoopy.  :)

Tnx. I've managed to set it up and it works great. If I understand correctly you have to have paid account on usenet if you want to use it? Otherwise CP only searches on torrent pages.

Correct.  News providers require a paid sub (you can find deals for ~$7/month).  Also, since the demise of Newzbin (NZB indexer), the only indexing services worth a damn (nzbgeek, dognzb, etc.) require a sub to be able to search more than ~5 times a day (typically).

If you decide to go the torrent-only route, I would HIGHLY suggest a VPN service to hide behind (i.e. Private Internet Access).  I have received my share of hate mail from my ISP (initiated by the likes of the MPAA) prior to getting a VPN.

John