Recommend a good AV receiver?

opentoe

I currently have the Denon AVR-X4000 AV receiver. In the consumer market it is considered a high end model. Having some trouble with it and most likely needs repair. I've seen Denon quality drop considerably (since I've owned several over the years)  and don't think I'll buy another. I don't have the money to buy separate components or those niche high quality brands so looking around for a different brand to possibly buy. I've been looking closely at the Pioneer Elite SC-95 model. Supposed to have great solid build, sound great and have bells and whistles I'll never use. Looking for recommendations from others that might have real world experience with some good receivers?

I have 6ohm floor standing speakers, which are quite large along with a big center channel and rears. A basic 5.1 system and no room for more speakers. That's why I going for the larger output receivers since my speakers recommend 110-120 watts continuous power. Also one 12" subwoofer shoved in the corner.

I switched over to the Denon AVR-X3000 about 2 years ago (?) and haven't had any issues.

Whatever you do, avoid Onkyo receivers at all costs. I've had numerous of their AVRs (800, 700, 600, and 500 series) die once they hit the 2 to 3 year range; it was mine, my parents, and my sisters setups at different houses and conditions so it's not anything specific. They have a tendency for the Capacitors to die or the entire HDMI board die. If you search the AVS forums you'll find the dedicated threads to the Onkyo issue.

Sorry I don't have a recommendation on what to try, only on what to avoid.

it really depends on your budget $?

what you really want to do with it?

how much rms watts output?

multi selection between various devices or only a few devices?

built in tuner & extras you may never need?

number of speakers to connect 5.1 7.1 7.2 8.1 etc.

if you can answer some of these questions 1st then searching the forums for brands etc should be alot easier.

harmon kardon, nad, bose, pioneer, yamaha, lg, panasonic etc.

pick a budget say $200-500 & see what you can get then tick off what you really want & think you need.

take your time dont be pressured into buying something on the spot unless you know it can be beaten in price

(hagle for a lower price $100's of dollars cheaper than they are trying to sell right now in the stores).

look at the expensive ones in stores 1st then work you way down to you sweet spot of features &  or costs.

these are my thoughts when I was looking a while back still have not bought anything.

but now I am considering a sound bar & sub woofer for my tv & media player.

no rush but I have only just considered this recently seeing what I can get for under au$300,

otherwise is au$500-700 for a receiver.

Steve

I switched over to the Denon AVR-X3000 about 2 years ago (?) and haven't had any issues.

Whatever you do, avoid Onkyo receivers at all costs. I've had numerous of their AVRs (800, 700, 600, and 500 series) die once they hit the 2 to 3 year range; it was mine, my parents, and my sisters setups at different houses and conditions so it's not anything specific. They have a tendency for the Capacitors to die or the entire HDMI board die. If you search the AVS forums you'll find the dedicated threads to the Onkyo issue.

Sorry I don't have a recommendation on what to try, only on what to avoid.

My friend had the same issue with Onkyo. Even after getting it fixed at a service center he had issues. Plus it was very harsh sounding.

I plan to get a Denon myself.

Been all over the AVS forums. Lots of people agree that Denon quality has dropped and they are using cheaper components with a higher failure rate. If you have a Denon electronic that is 3 years or older, then it most likely is a solid piece. Anything after in my opinion isn't up to par on quality. I can speak from experience since I've owned Denon through out the years and have had family members buy them as well through out the years. Seems they dropped quality about 2 or 3 years ago. I paid $900 for my Denon X4000. I bought it weeks after it came out, and lots of places wouldn't even drop below $1000. Electronics are the highest marked up of anything you buy these days, and it is hard to find places that work with you to drop prices. The Pioneer model I'm looking at has a list price of $1600. No special "new" technology in it, maybe a new HDMI spec and more Dolby Digital "themes" like Atmos but probably cost $300 to make. It is a very big hype type market.

I wish I could get something in the $500 range, but I need something with a little more power to direct towards my speakers. I'm really looking at the Pioneer Elite models. Every review I've read on their models has been great. I think Yamaha AVENTAGE series are nice, but all the Yamaha's I have ever listened to were always a bit tinny. Hard to explain. Kind of not as much "punch" compared to a similar model from another brand.

How is the quality of Marantz these days?

Love mine. 3 or so years old but rock solid. I tried an Onkyo and it was garbage. Buggy and then started randomly cutting out on me. Was a big Denon fan but reviews indicated a downhill slide in recent years. I'd do my homework if buying now but would definitely buy" Marantz again if reviews were good.

Remember heavy is good. Usually means higher quality amplification.

How is the quality of Marantz these days?

Running my second Marantz (upgrade due to 3D), I've been using the slim series as I live in an apartment and my power requirements are low... plus I have nested HDMI switchers (an 8x2 feeding an 8x1... too many video sources!). Love it... except when my A/C is running as it's basically in the same room... downside to an apartment.

Not quite answering your question but have you considered going the pre / pro / power amp route?

I got fed up with every week bringing new standards in HDMI, audio decoding, 3d etc which makes receivers obsolete almost as soon as they hit the shelves.

I invested in some fairly decent emotiva power amps which drive my b&w 803s a treat and now I can focus on the best processor for my needs and upgrade that as needed, safe in the knowledge that power is taken care of.

For the records, I bought a used Sherbourne pre / pro which is excellent. This has been replaced by the emotiva unit which I also hear good things about.

Budget may be the restriction here for you but the emotiva gear really is great value. Plus you can always use a receiver with pre outs as a processor if you wish.

Peter

Not quite answering your question but have you considered going the pre / pro / power amp route?

I actually have a Marantz Preamp/Processor and a Marantz Receiver. I got the preamp first, and was happy with it and prompted me to get the receiver. Preamp feeds to high end amps (which I already owned), receiver stands on its own.

But in an apt I'd definitely go with the receiver. Preamp is only worthwhile with higher-end amps and speakers. And this type of gear gets very expensive very quickly.

If you're watching mostly movies (and rattling the floorboards won't get you evicted), get one of THESE SVS SUBS instead of separates. It made a huge difference in my system.

Another vote for Emotiva here.  Great range of separates.  On their forums you can snag some fantastic last gen equipment for a steal.  Right now I see a Umc-200 for $400 and a XPA-2 for $475.  If you can wait until black friday and get on their mailing list you may get a really good discount set on new equipment.  If you buy new from Emotiva you get a lifetime 40% off next gen product.

+1 on the Emotiva.

I have an XPA-5 from about 4 years ago, driving 5.1 Emptek speakers (an awesome value for their price).

It was around $900, if memory serves me right.

*** Lower the db too much and the whole block will hear it.

I need to correct this ...

Lower the db too much and the whole block starts shaking ... :)

+1 on the Emotiva.

UMC-200 in the main viewing room going through a 10 yr old Outlaw 7 channel amp. Was forced to upgrade to get Dolby Plus (old Outlaw 990 didn't have it) processing.

I have a refurb Kenwood low-end receiver in the bedroom I picked up off of newegg of all places. Its works great for what I need in there (lower volume, mostly TV). Some decent deals can be had for last year's models.

Marantz and Denon are the same thing. Same company makes them, but consumers pay more for the Marantz name because in their mind they think it is a better product then the Denon.

I really considered separates and might be the way I have to go since I won't use %80 of the features on these new consumer receivers. I also have to be practical since this is just my living room and don't want speakers on my ceiling or hanging like a Christmas tree all over the place. 

If I do buy something I would at least want it compliant with the latest standards. If I was just listening to music and audio only I would for sure look for a used high end AMP but since I need video also it might be more practical for me to look into another receiver. Those Emotiva Amps sure look nice. They pack a nice punch.

Thanks for the suggestions. It is one of those buys where I don't need it right away, so I'm always looking around.

Marantz and Denon are the same thing. Same company makes them, but consumers pay more for the Marantz name because in their mind they think it is a better product then the Denon.

I really considered separates and might be the way I have to go since I won't use %80 of the features on these new consumer receivers. I also have to be practical since this is just my living room and don't want speakers on my ceiling or hanging like a Christmas tree all over the place. 

If I do buy something I would at least want it compliant with the latest standards. If I was just listening to music and audio only I would for sure look for a used high end AMP but since I need video also it might be more practical for me to look into another receiver. Those Emotiva Amps sure look nice. They pack a nice punch.

Thanks for the suggestions. It is one of those buys where I don't need it right away, so I'm always looking around.

I didn't see any Denon models that were similar to the Marantz NR line (the slim receivers, which I require in my current setup).

Toyota and Lexus are also made by the same company, but the cars are not the same.

Toyota and Lexus are also made by the same company, but the cars are not the same.

I would spend extra on a Lexus, probably because it is a better made vehicle but with consumer electronics I wouldn't be surprised if you open up the hood on some Denon and Marantz receivers you'll see the same parts.

I would spend extra on a Lexus, probably because it is a better made vehicle but with consumer electronics I wouldn't be surprised if you open up the hood on some Denon and Marantz receivers you'll see the same parts.

Interestingly, the thing that you are most likely to find the same between Toyota and Lexus are the engines!

Interestingly, the thing that you are most likely to find the same between Toyota and Lexus are the engines!

But even then, there are usually differences. I have a Tundra with a 5.7L engine. The  Lexus LX570 has the same engine, but with a few tweeks. It has direct injection, better mpg and more horsepower.

The same goes for the Camry and GX350.

But even then, there are usually differences. I have a Tundra with a 5.7L engine. The  Lexus LX570 has the same engine, but with a few tweeks. It has direct injection, better mpg and more horsepower.

The same goes for the Camry and GX350.

MMMMMmmmm 2GR

Western Digital also makes WD and HGST drives. HGST was the result of an acquisition from Hitachi, and operates as a separate entity / brand. Similarly Denon and Marantz used to be separate companies and became one through a merger/acquisition.

They are not the same products like the old Dodge and Plymouth.

Western Digital also makes WD and HGST drives. HGST was the result of an acquisition from Hitachi, and operates as a separate entity / brand. Similarly Denon and Marantz used to be separate companies and became one through a merger/acquisition.

They are not the same products like the old Dodge and Plymouth.

Denon is made in Japan and Marantz is made is Vietnam. I thought everything came from China. Maybe I can put Marantz back on the list for possible options. I wouldn't want another Denon, even though I'm very familiar with them.

I know everyone hates on Onkyo's, but I have had numerous Onkyo's over the years (I'm a budget consumer)

The last two receivers I owned are of the later generations that had a lot of issues with hdmi handshakes and overheating.

The latest firmware updates must have solved all of the hdmi issues because I never experienced them.

I did have overheating issues, though, when the receiver was on a shelf with just an inch of clearing above. The picture kept disappearing for a second before coming back, and it happened once or twice an hour or so. At first I thought it was defective and was about to send it back, but then realized it must have been heat related. Ever since moving it to a new location with plenty of room above, I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I think the Onkyo receivers are great for the price. And no, I really don't care for the extra features like network connectivity, streaming music,  additional zones, etc. I only use it as a 7.1ch receiver with HD bitstreaming. For streaming music just get a streamer like a chromecast, which does a much better job. Instead of using a second zone for the backyard (which is limited to analog sources), just get a bluetooth speaker, etc.